• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Shenmue's 3 budget is a mystery, and why that's a problem."

But can backers know the level of quality that they can expect from the game without a sense of budget? Isn't it reasonable to want better information before you plunk down money for a nonrefundable preorder of a game that's some time away?

I'm actually amazed at how many people are getting upset at the idea that would-be backers would want some transparency about what they're putting money towards.

I feel like you have the right to want whatever info you feel is relevant. But, it's their right not to provide it, and if you aren't comfortable with only the info provided then you shouldn't back it.

OneUh8

Guys, we need to be concerned. I mean seriously. TLG, FF7 and Shenmue 3??? We should be concerned. Super concerned.

Polygon, Kotaku, Etc. have been at war with Kickstarter forever.

It doesn't even matter if there's a string of truth to it, they'll use it.

MouldyK

BTW, I am not against Shenmue in any way, quite the opposite really!

Even at 7-9 years old in 1999-2001, I knew the games were amazing. Hell, I been praying for Shenmue every day since.

And i'm even backer #416, so you know I love the series enough to jump that fast through the broken website!

I think with Kickstarters, people just want a breakdown of where their money will go (like 5% budget for audio, 20% going to game engine etc.) and with something like Shenmue 3, maybe people want reassurance that the game which comes will live up to their 14 year old dreams.

I mean, we want something Shenmue-Like, not just a linear game, which people think might happen if there is not enough money.

magawolaz

EUhHbee.png
lmao.

bon

As a backer of this project I demand to know how much money Yu Suzuki has in his pockets right now.

MightyKAC

Shenmue's FINALLY gonna get made and folks are gonna get to play it after a decade and some change of hoping against hope.

Soooooooo who exactly is this a problem for again?

*sigh* Polygon

unless you are directly in charge of the development business, i don't see why Kuchera thinks that's a 3rd party's business.

Every game where I have participated in Kickstarter has had investors and the budget was well beyond the KS goal. No idea why this is suddenly an issue.

border

And we have transparency. That doesn't mean we are obligated to know how much this game will cost. No KS that I know has ever disclosed that amount.

What's been told to us is not enough for some people.

If the Kickstarter fund do not cover the majority of the budget, I don't think it's unreasonable to at least ask where the rest of the money is coming from (or if it has been secured). Polygon seem to have done it in a dipshit kinda way though.

oti

Banned
Every game where I have participated in Kickstarter has had investors and the budget was well beyond the KS goal. No idea why this is suddenly an issue.

It's an issue because people are talking about it. It's about clicks. It's just about clicks.

border

Like I mentioned before, it really must eat people like Kuchera alive that while gamergaters disgust him, they actually make up a large part of the dwindling core audience they have to increasingly cater to. There is financial incentive for Kuchera to basically repost outrage threads and drum up controversy (real or imagined) using the age-old "Devs and pubs are trying to screw you! We're your public advocate, average gamer!" narratives.

Polygon was more than happy to take the side of Electronic Arts when it came to DRM on SimCity. And they were more than happy to give Bayonetta 2 a worse score because it was sexist, or give Gone Home a Game of the Year award.

I really don't think they're catering to the Gamergate crowd.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Polygon employees buying domain names to websites of games before they're announced, and why that's a problem.

Shots fired.

Polygon was more than happy to take the side of corporations when it comes to DRM. And they were more than happy to give Bayonetta 2 a poor score because it was sexist.

I really don't think they're catering to the Gamergate crowd.

That is because said DRM company handed them over a nice $750,000 check for their small documentary. Of course that can create bias. If people think otherwise, then show such Buddha ways of balance oh masters of the neutrality.

Dennis

Banned
Duh, Sony is waiting to see how much backing it is getting on Kickstarter to gauge interest and thus figure out how big a budget they should throw at the game.

I am OK with this. Makes perfect sense and is fair for what was until a few days ago a dead franchise.

There's those $750.000, allegedly for a documentary, that originated from a well known source.
But we have no idea since then! How can I trust Polygon unless I know exactly how much they're paying (and where that money's coming from) their hacks for articles like this?!?!!?
:p

lol @ how some of you are acting about Polygon just writing an opinion article. Some of the responses in here are sadly hilarious, journalists should never say anything negative or question anything anyone likes cause it seems like noone is ever able to handle it. This is getting just as bad as when Kotaku dared say something negative about Xenoblade X. But yeah keep calling to ban a site just because they said something you don't like.

amazing!

I think it doesn't go like "I don't like what they are saying!" and goes more like "I think what they are saying is stupid and we shouldn't be discussing things born in stupidity".

Games aren't like movies, we don't know the budget of every game, we don't know how much a publisher spends on marketing, we don't know how much money is being exchanged when Sony/MS/Nintendo found a game for development or for timed exclusivity deals or DLC deals.

So saying "We don't know the real budged of Shenmue and that is an issue!" is a terrible editorial, mostly because then every other game is an issue, companies aren't oblige by law or contracts to reveal their budgets in the gaming industry and that is how the ball rolls. If I don't have to make things public I would choose most of the time don't do it. Perhaps is something that should be discussed more in order to protect investors and to protect certain cases of money laundry but the true is this are the current rules and is a bigger issue than "Who is paying for Shenmue" but Kuchera does a terrible job (as always) and doesn't even talk about this on his piece, he is just obese to know secret information that Yu and its partners ARE NOT oblige by law or contract to reveal.

So we are led to believe that by not knowing the budget of the game we have a situation, when in reality is the standard situation in the industry, I don't think Iga say how much Money Deep Silver (IRRC) is putting into Bloodstain, but is not like he needs to do it. Yu isn't either nor Sony nor anyone that is backing the project, why should I tell you (or anyone) how much money I invested in Shenmue 3?

Game budgets and its transparency is perhaps a talk that should be had, but it is mostly a legal talk in order to avoid corporate frauds and to protect investors and not as something gamers should know before hand just because.

Boke1879

What's been told to us is not enough for some people.

If the Kickstarter fund do not cover the majority of the budget, I don't think it's unreasonable to at least ask where the rest of the money is coming from (or if it has been secured). Polygon seem to have done it in a dipshit kinda way though.

We were told the 2 million was used to see if there was interest in the project. Sony said they would help fund it. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Sony literally did the same thing with Amplitude. By the way. This is the deal for a lot of KS. They have an initial goal and once it's met the publisher provides the additional funds. Bloodstained, Might No. 9 and even the OUYA did this.

So unless you have a problem with that KS model. It makes no sense to all of a sudden be outraged over this.

Jashobeam

I doubt they are targeting AAA budget, the digital copy can be obtained for backing only $30. I would bet it will cost around whatever Resident Evil Rev.2 costed.

I'm sure they'll be more transparent once the kickstarter ends when they have the final amount. I don't understand why this is an issue.

Shenmue 3 is happening... I've been waiting this since I'm 13 years old. Today I'm 22 years old. After losing faith, its happening. People should write article for celebration... not for suspicion :/

The only thing that worries me with all these funding stories is what happen with the kickstarter ? Will the game scope still depends on it ? If so... I hope all of this wont hurt the campaign. I'm even tempted to move my pledge from 100 dollars to 300 dollars. :"(

Lemondish

Poor Shenmue fans. For years they were told that their dream of a sequel was never going to happen.

Now they're told it shouldn't happen.

Boke1879

and good boy Ben probably just gave more attention to the Kickstarter that will probably equate to more backers. Sometimes just leave well enough alone.

FranXico

Duh, Sony is waiting to see how much backing it is getting on Kickstarter to gauge interest and thus figure out how big a budget they should throw at the game.

I am OK with this. Makes perfect sense and is fair for what was until a few days ago a dead franchise.

People seriously have to be naive to believe that Yu Suzuki would be making the announcement together with Sony without any kind of deal in place.

MouldyK

Poor Shenmue fans. For years they were told that their dream of a sequel was never going to happen.

Now they're told it shouldn't happen.

It shouldn't happen though.

I been getting less sleep since it's announced because I can't dream of it anymore.

Top Bottom