• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon -Sony’s silence on PS5 has done wonders for the next-gen Xbox

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It will. I don't doubt that. But with Sony playing "wait and see so we can do what Microsoft does" while Microsoft continues to drop info about their next gen plans, could seriously come back to bite Sony in the ass. Especially as more time passes by and Xbox keeps dropping pertinant gaming news about their next gen hardware and software.

If people want to admit it or not, they are running away with the narrative at this time. That's just a fact.

Those who say this a good plan for Sony, think on it this way; what happens when Microsoft drops even more good news about their new hardware, show even more software that looks incredible and enthralling, drop even more GP news with a few surprises, and suddenly Sony releases their information, and their still underpowered, their high profile games don't quite stack up or probably not even show up and in many ways their game and streaming still seems like an afterthought?

This could become a reality, for sure. Sony fans don't know if they'll like what Sony offers until they show it. Its possible they won't quite engage Sony fans the way they hoped, and Microsoft has been dropping bombs the whole time.

Its a really risky game Sony is playing right now. Sure, they can hold their cards close to the chest if they like. And in the end, it might work for them. But there's no guarantee, and with Microsoft hungry to win back mindshare and really compete, and will be at E3 so they can really dig in, well, things get even riskier.

When you ask for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. Just my two cents...

Ever thought that with all the big first party AAA hits this year people may like the long quite-draught-free-continuous support they get from Sony and the excitement around PS4 heavy hitters would translate into hype for PS5 ;)? It is also nice to see as a consumer that even a late ecosystem investment is valued.

Last edited:
i dont really wanna post knowyourm*me but here ya go

Noun. An intentional, humorous misspelling of idiot.

Btw. english isn't my native language. And also i don't want to use some "urban dictionary" on english. If i didn't use it for you, don't use it for me.

Last edited:
This does not exist in a one or the other vacuum.

Sony’s diverse lineup with games that are in the tens of millions of software sales are still a driving force. Hence the sales gap disparity between the two systems. Which both contain the same 3rd party games, but not first party.

Otherwise, Microsoft would not be jumping on that first party studio trend that they seen the shortcomings they had in.

Example :
Not only that, but if you look at the Third Party games, the highest sellers are... well, the ones you'd expect. Mostly COD and FIFA, competitive shooters and sports titles. Most third party titles will never come anywhere NEAR those numbers in terms of sales. Your average Third Party multiplat is lucky to even hit CLOSE to double digit sales numbers.

PlayStation Exclusive sales are actually QUITE good and healthy, even for many of the "lower-sellers", and they DO draw people to the system. The spike in sales when God of War, Uncharted, or Spider-Man dropped is proof positive enough of that. Are they ALL that matters? No. But they clearly do matter. That will remain true going forward.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Noun. An intentional, humorous misspelling of idiot.

Btw. english isn't my native language. And also i don't want to use some "urban dictionary"
noooooooooooo a bad word!
i used to be an idort until i sold my ps4 for the 3rd and last time.

This does not exist in a one or the other vacuum.

Sony’s diverse lineup with games that are in the tens of millions of software sales are still a driving force. Hence the sales gap disparity between the two systems. Which both contain the same 3rd party games, but not first party.

I mean, yea, I do personally think it all counts. If Spider Man or God of War caused an extra 700,000+ people who didn't already have playstation 4s by then to buy one, then that's great, but I find that's usually not the case despite the impressive sales of these titles. Usually they're just selling to those who are already among the converted.

I still believe the sales gap had far less to do with sony's first party than people are willing to acknowledge, although I'm not saying it didn't play a factor. I just don't believe it played the largest factor.

The biggest reason was the fact that Sony was $100 cheaper in addition to a wave of negative press around xbox one, especially those major nsa leaks the very year the consoles were coming out that made it look like Microsoft was one of the earliest supporters of what the government were doing. People were thinking kinect would be spying on them, in addition to the negativity around used games, always online etc. Some Microsoft execs even lost their jobs over it.

And after all that, it also happened to be established as the weaker of the 2 consoles while being $100 more expensive. Those things along with price were to me the biggest reasons.

I will agree though that every little bit counts. It's exactly why I've been advocating for more games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey whenever I have the opportunity to speak to anyone at xbox. My argument always was "sure it isn't going to sell like Gears or Halo or whatever, but can you honestly deny that gears and halo isn't likely selling to people who are already firmly in the xbox camp? If Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey brought in 140,000 to 250,000 new xbox gamers into the ecosystem, is that not potentially just as if not more valuable than the same 5 million + buying Halo? This is how you broaden your base, and that's something that Sony gets right nearly everytime to their credit, even when the ps3 launched with its problems you always knew they were going to get that part right.

I was a full fledged pc gamer (mostly cs 1.6) and a massive playstation fanboy before i saw the words (Hironobu Sakaguchi, 2 exclusive xbox 360 RPGs) In fact, I was so much of a fanboy that I was annoyed that Sakaguchi wasn't releasing them for the playstation 3 instead and desperately searched for any information or suggestion that they may end up being released for the next playstation also. After searching around and reading interview after interview, watching old presentations that were online from when Sakaguchi was talking about the games, it became clear to me that playstation and these games were not going to be a thing, and if I really wanted them, I would have to suck it up and buy an xbox for the first time ever.

I had never played Halo CE longer than an hour or so at that point and dropped it, didn't see what all fuss was about. I had never owned or cared to own an xbox ever. Anything of worth to that platform to me I played on PC, such as fable and kotor. But because of those 2 jrpgs from one of my all time favorite game devs, i was on line for a 360 day. I, once upon a time in 2005, was one of the most unlikely people to buy an xbox, you guys have no idea, but once you already spent your hard earned money, you damn well better find more than just 2 games to validate your purchase, so I naturally started looking into what xbox gamers go crazy over. Prior to the launch of Halo 3 it was suggested to me I read Halo Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx. Just like that, I'm a full fledged Halo fanboy. Went from not giving a damn about Halo and not thinking it was all that special to now thinking the world of it. It wasn't the games that convinced me, it was the books. Suddenly the games had my imagination. I now gave a damn about Master Chief and Cortana because I now knew what made them so special. I use to look at Master Chief like some boring dude in a suit of armor. The universe and all its different factions or elements suddenly mattered, and that's always the way to pull me in.

It was the same way prior to Mass Effect releasing on 360 and all these people were going mad over the thing. I'm here a mostly japanese rpg first style gamer with the occasional must have GTA and Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, DBZ, final fantasy fan going like "ehh, I don't like RPGs like this. I like swords, magic, japanese stuff. This looks boring as hell." How did I work myself into caring about Mass Effect? The Mass Effect book released prior to the game. Mass Effect: Revelation. It made me care about the Mass Effect universe, its characters and wanted to dive deeper in to see how the story ends up, and now suddenly I was essentially a believer in xbox. I had to learn to appreciate more western focused RPGs because I've been a life long japanese rpg fan.

Xbox came out the gate very well with their first party for xbox one. I felt they came out better than Sony did at the start. It wasn't until a little later that they started making you go "wait.. where's the big new announcements, wait Scalebound canceled? what's going on! nothing new and exciting being announced." It seemed odd to me. So if Xbox wasn't lacking in solid first parties starting out, why the sales gap? Price and power and negative press, because they came out swinging where it mattered. Ryse, Scalebound, Quantum Break, new Halo, Sunset Overdrive. Even Ryse should have gotten a sequel. That was a great launch game imo and could have been so much more with a followup. Biggest factors to me always come back to price, negative press, bad communication and being weaker while being more expensive.

Dane

Yikes... it isn't that serious. Having a really powerful console has ALWAYS been a focus of Microsoft's since they entered the console business. Period. Why does it seem to bother you so much that they're getting back to what they've always done? Next, you're assuming an awful, awful lot about Microsoft's studios you know so very little about. They're all growing, some have already grown by leaps and bounds with many hires. What a studio started out as based on your assumptions when they were bought is irrelevant to any comparison with sony's studios because we clearly have no idea what will become of them yet under Microsoft's backing.

Also, which part of Playgrounds strikes you an indie/aa dev? They are one of the most talent stacked studios out there and they grew to the point where they have a whole separate RPG team. The most recent gears is one of the best xbox studios titles of all time. This last SP campaign put it up there with Uncharted in quality for me.

Obsidian has just finished making the best fallout style RPGs in years. Obsidian has an amazing track record, a AAA one in fact. Hellblade 2 will obviously be more ambitious than the first one ever was. Ninja Theory has shown what they can do with a budget, and have shown what they can do with very little budget and resources. I'd wait and see what they can do with Microsoft's full backing before jumping to conclusions. Any smaller titles such as what ninja theory and obsidian were working were already in development when microsoft acquired them. There are bigger projects still.

Long story short, it isn't just Sony's studios that know how to design games. Microsoft's issue was one of simply not investing in many at a certain stage in the xbox one's life. That time has clearly now passed. There's only so long you can ride the Crackdown 3 train my dude.

Don't even bother discussing with him, he's a fanboy and has been know in a long time, period

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Why did you keep rebuying a PS4?
first for Infamous and Bloodborne, which I loved
then a big drought came in on Sonyland and I sold it
then bought it again for Uncharted 4 which bored me to death so I sold it out of frustration
then I bought one again for GoW, spiderman and the other games that came out in the meantime. i liked gow and spiderman but after that... another big drought with not a single good game in 2019, so i sold it again early last year

now im getting a ps5 a year after release to play the launch games and tlou etc. and most likely sell it again :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It will. I don't doubt that. But with Sony playing "wait and see so we can do what Microsoft does" while Microsoft continues to drop info about their next gen plans, could seriously come back to bite Sony in the ass. Especially as more time passes by and Xbox keeps dropping pertinant gaming news about their next gen hardware and software.

If people want to admit it or not, they are running away with the narrative at this time. That's just a fact.

Those who say this a good plan for Sony, think on it this way; what happens when Microsoft drops even more good news about their new hardware, show even more software that looks incredible and enthralling, drop even more GP news with a few surprises, and suddenly Sony releases their information, and their still underpowered, their high profile games don't quite stack up or probably not even show up and in many ways their game and streaming still seems like an afterthought?

This could become a reality, for sure. Sony fans don't know if they'll like what Sony offers until they show it. Its possible they won't quite engage Sony fans the way they hoped, and Microsoft has been dropping bombs the whole time.

Its a really risky game Sony is playing right now. Sure, they can hold their cards close to the chest if they like. And in the end, it might work for them. But there's no guarantee, and with Microsoft hungry to win back mindshare and really compete, and will be at E3 so they can really dig in, well, things get even riskier.

When you ask for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. Just my two cents...
This seems like the least likely scenario to happen

Look at what Sony did with 1.84 teraflops and even if the worst rumor was true they would have over quadruple the processing power

Nex7Qht.jpg

PS5 games are going to look amazing

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
then bought it again for Uncharted 4 which bored me to death so I sold it out of frustration
then I bought one again for GoW, spiderman and the other games that came out in the meantime. i liked gow and spiderman but after that... another big drought with not a single good game in 2019, so i sold it again early last year

now im getting a ps5 a year after release to play the launch games and tlou etc. and most likely sell it again :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So PS exclusives are system sellers

You're living proof that exclusives do matter 👍

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I mean, yea, I do personally think it all counts. If Spider Man or God of War caused an extra 700,000+ people who didn't already have playstation 4s by then to buy one, then that's great, but I find that's usually not the case despite the impressive sales of these titles. Usually they're just selling to those who are already among the converted.

I still believe the sales gap had far less to do with sony's first party than people are willing to acknowledge, although I'm not saying it didn't play a factor. I just don't believe it played the largest factor.

The biggest reason was the fact that Sony was $100 cheaper in addition to a wave of negative press around xbox one, especially those major nsa leaks the very year the consoles were coming out that made it look like Microsoft was one of the earliest supporters of what the government were doing. People were thinking kinect would be spying on them, in addition to the negativity around used games, always online etc. Some Microsoft execs even lost their jobs over it.

PlayStation 4 being $100 cheaper didn't last that long. Microsoft started selling their system $100 months after the system was released.

People believe that Microsoft selling far less than PlayStation has to do with marketing and selling at a higher price, but the fact is, Xbox was never popular as the PlayStation brand. People look back at the 360 era to make this judgement when in reality, Sony launched their console a year later and were still neck-to-neck in sales with MS. Selling almost 90m Xbox consoles had a lot to do with Sony's failures.

If the majority of games are the same on both platforms, then gamers are going to ask themselves, "What does this console offer over the other?" and that's when exclusives become a huge factor.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not only that, but if you look at the Third Party games, the highest sellers are... well, the ones you'd expect. Mostly COD and FIFA, competitive shooters and sports titles. Most third party titles will never come anywhere NEAR those numbers in terms of sales. Your average Third Party multiplat is lucky to even hit CLOSE to double digit sales numbers.

PlayStation Exclusive sales are actually QUITE good and healthy, even for many of the "lower-sellers", and they DO draw people to the system. The spike in sales when God of War, Uncharted, or Spider-Man dropped is proof positive enough of that. Are they ALL that matters? No. But they clearly do matter. That will remain true going forward.
PS first party games complete the ecosystem, provide early and late generation support, and help developers prove viability of game genres they may feel worried about investing in.

You would notice their absence even though some people may not appreciate their presence (as much as they should ;)).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PlayStation 4 being $100 cheaper didn't last that long. Microsoft started selling their system $100 months after the system was released.

People believe that Microsoft selling far less than PlayStation has to do with marketing and selling at a higher price, but the fact is, Xbox was never popular as the PlayStation brand. People look back at the 360 era to make this judgement when in reality, Sony launched their console a year later and were still neck-to-neck in sales with MS. Selling almost 90m Xbox consoles had a lot to do with Sony's failures.

If the majority of games are the same on both platforms, then gamers are going to ask themselves, "What does this console offer over the other?" and that's when exclusives become a huge factor.
See, but this is the thing.

Microsoft lowered the price of the XOne, but by then, much of the momentum coming from the previous gen, had died. I don't know why people don't talk about this more, but the important thing with game consoles is the momentum.

You get momentum, you have momentum, you keep building your momentum. And your system will sell. If you have no momentum, you can't start it up again too easily. Because it snowballs. It's not just something you can turn on and off. That's not how it works.

It's the first impressions, the second, the third and so on.

Xbox was more expensive and cheaper.. that the kicker.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Microsoft lowered the price of the XOne, but by then, much of the momentum coming from the previous gen, had died. I don't know why people don't talk about this more, but the important thing with game consoles is the momentum.

You get momentum, you have momentum, you keep building your momentum. And your system will sell. If you have no momentum, you can't start it up again too easily. Because it snowballs. It's not just something you can turn on and off. That's not how it works.

Sony's first, second impression was far worse than Microsoft's in 2013. Sony was trying to tell a console that was more than 200 in comparison to the competition, but they somehow came back and recovered. Microsoft couldn't' do the same while trying to lower the price of their console and offering multiple games just to get you to buy their console.

molasar

Banned

Are not momentum and impressions being made with compelling games?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Nice, those first party system sellers.

😏

HoodWinked

The reason you'd delay releasing info about the next console is so that you don't dissuade people from buying the current console. It's why apple waits so long so they don't inadvertently tank thier iPhone sales. Microsoft has already written off Xbox One it's why they're trying to move the generation forward and hit the reset button.

From the perspective of Sony it makes sense but from the perspective of the consumers Sony deliberately wants less informed consumers to buy a soon to be obsolete console.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't see why the Xbox community on here run with two narratives.

1. Exclusives don't matter. Only a small amount of hardcore games play them.

2. Microsoft is firing on all cylinders. With all of the new studios they acquired, they're going to come out next generation firing.

How come exclusives\console exclusives work for Microsoft but not Sony? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So what game have they shown that should convince me to purchase their new system?
I didn't say anything about you, my guy. There are many what're looking forward to quite e few that have been mentioned on this very board - despite it being Sony gaf. I'll leave it at that.

NahaNago

I want series X badly, can’t wait.
But if they don’t show real games, they will not gain real attention.
I am not worried at the moment.
They must have planned all this and unknown games will be shown before release.
The question is how many? And are they good?

We got halo infinite, cool I like halo but I want a diverse line up.

Bring back Killer instinct for fighting game fans like me.

We need an exclusive racing game, a plateformer, a 3 rd person action game, fun family game , an adventure game on launch day or at least in the month after launch.
This and good support of multi platforms games.

When you are in their position, you need to have a strong start on content.

This kind of launch release lineup should be the minimum of all console launches.

Butz

Banned
So PS exclusives are system sellers

You're living proof that exclusives do matter 👍

mate I bought that shit used, no way in hell I'm gonna pay full price everytime hahah
and did I ever say they aren't? i just came to the conclusion now that those games are not for me, or that i dont need to play them day one as theyre nothing special in the end.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
mate I bought that shit used, no way in hell I'm gonna pay full price everytime hahah
and did I ever say they aren't? i just came to the conclusion now that those games are not for me, or that i dont need to play them day one as theyre nothing special in the end.
They're nothing special but you keep buying a system to play them?

Mmkay...

Butz

Banned
It is hard to call 2019 with Days Gone and Death Stranding a big drought. Just you were not interested in these games.
oh yeah, open world zombie third person with survival ele:sleep: and a walking sim i can play for free in 3 months

I’m pretty ok and my point stand even with you trying to spin it.
I was very clear with my first comment already.

You're the 2nd person going on my ignore list. First person was for personal attacks. As for you it'llbecause you obviously have problems up there, you never bring anything to the table.

Can't even bother to try to decipher those last "points" you were trying to make.

molasar

Banned
oh yeah, open world zombie third person with survival ele:sleep: and a walking sim i can play for free in 3 months

So I was right. At least Sony offers a solid variety instead of next installments only. Also it does not mean that I am into every exclusive game it has but I prefer their approach and wish others do this a similar way.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're the 2nd person going on my ignore list. First person was for personal attacks. As for you it'llbecause you obviously have problems up there, you never bring anything to the table.

Can't even bother to try to decipher those last "points" you were trying to make.

🤔

You're not okay in your head I think. I'll leave you have even more fun with Death Stranding ✌
4U6Mer8.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

I don’t have any problem.
You just don’t like or don’t deal well with the truth.
My point was pretty clear even before you tried without success to spin it.

But I will try to refresh your mind.

MS have a big issue in lacking support for their plataforma in mid to end of generation... that is a fact that happens every single console MS released.

MS just don’t care about their consumers.

I will add more a bit to see if you can understand better.

Sony biggest support from gamers are due the trust their get with software support even near a new gen start.
Gamers have faith that Sony will give them games no matter what happens.

It is a strategy Sony uses every generation.

Basically putting heavy titles like TLOU2, FFVIIR, Ghost of Tshumina near PS5 is the best marketing any company can do for a new console.

What MS does while that?

The win-win strategy used for PS4 is being used for PS5..: the hype will be monstrous.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
Tell that about the games that are coming out to Xbox this year :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Since the other guy was posting 3rd party games here's a list of Microsoft published games in 2020
Minecraft Dungeons
Gears Tactics
Wasteland 3
Bleeding Edge
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Psychonauts 2
Tell me Why
Crossfire X (sp from Remedy)
Microsoft Flight Simulator
The Cuphead Expansion
Forza Motorsport 8
Halo Infinite
Age of Empires 4 (likely, according to PCGamer)

And we can most likely add 2-3 games to that list after E3.

Now what I personally am looking forward to from that list?
Ori, Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim, Halo and Age of Empires.

Top Bottom