• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "What Nintendo has learned from Kickstarter"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So I guess people really hate Polygon? Or didn't read the article? I didn't think it came off as negative at all. Also they weren't saying that Nintendo is like Kick starter in that they're announcing products, it's that the nature of that announcement has changed. Rather than relying on the games media (which GAF hates) to disseminate a press release, they're talking directly to their customers, just as Kickstarter appeals directly to their audience. It's a shift in corporate communications strategy, and the article is just pointing that out.

They have been gradually shifting to that nature since years ago. Iwata Asks is part of that nature and it exist since Wii was launched. 3DS was first confirmed on their web site. Nintendo Direct exist more than a year ago. Its that linking it to kickstarter now feels 'forced'.

Hero

What they don't seem to understand, which is kind of amazing, is that their actions aren't helping their problem. It's only making it worse. They're just providing example after example for why Nintendo is doing this and solidify the justification people have for Nintendo is having these Nintendo Directs. Those that had or would go to them for Nintendo news just get turned off by their actions and get push more toward the Nintendo Directs. So when they do have something informative to say on the topic of Nintendo they'll just be ignored.

Yup, exactly.

Davey Cakes

How exactly is presenting carefully-cut trailers that may or may not be of actual game footage in a format dictated by the company themselves not "spin" or "bullshit"?

If you're going to demand a critical eye you can't suddenly get pissed when people decide to do it on something you like.
Well, I'm not really demanding a critical eye, I'm just saying that these people could cut Nintendo some slack once in a while. This ND delivered on its promise of talking about upcoming games.

It would have been bad if the ND ended after Iwata said "Mario, Mario Kart, and Zelda are coming" because that's just an empty (or obvious) promise, but then Nintendo shows footage of upcoming games and confirms the existence of surprise games. They aren't just saying that there will be games; they specifically gave examples.

My point was that Nintendo can't win. Even when they announce new and interesting developments, people say it's not enough. For Nintendo, it's never enough. I don't think more footage of Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, SMT x FE, and X would have really changed that much because no one is ever satisfied. For some it may be because Nintendo didn't have footage of Mario, Kart, Smash, and Zelda, or because they didn't announce Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero U, and Star Fox U, or because they didn't announce an ambassador program for Wii U early adopters, or SOMETHING. I know this is kind of a straw man argument but with the gaming community you can never tell what they'll be satisfied or dissatisfied with. Nintendo is always in a state of recovery when it comes to the dedicated gaming crowd and the gaming press.

And I'm saying this as someone who isn't actually that excited for Bayonetta 2, SMT x FE, X, and even Wind Waker HD. I can at least acknowledge that Nintendo made a good move in directly updating viewers on these developments.

Some other folks have already said this, but I'll repeat it here. Nintendo has to get these directs and transcriptions(Iwata asks) onto the Wii U at the same time as the internet.

IMO these Nintendo directs (especially this last one) are really aimed at the people who don't already own a Wii U. If you already have a Wii U there's not as much impetus to sell you on their upcoming lineup of software.

Darkangel

When I read the title I thought it was going to be about Nintendo funding 3rd party games likes Bayonetta 2 and SMT vs FE.

The promises = kickstarter comparison is pretty retarded. You could say the same about anything that has ever been announced before its release date.

Pikma

Banned
I bet if Iwata had a personal twitter he would tweet him "Do you eat shit?" too, that's like the most appropriate way to treat all these "journalism" pieces.

I never really thought of Nintendo directs as a way to replace the gaming press, but it totally works on paper and in theory. Let's just hope that Nintendo stops acting like they possess state secrets from now on. Withholding information from the gaming press is one thing, but starving the audience as well is a dick move and Nintendo learned that the hard way this Winter.

I hope Sony is taking notes from Nintendo. Iwata and co are really onto something here imo. Some other folks have already said this, but I'll repeat it here. Nintendo has to get these directs and transcriptions(Iwata asks) onto the Wii U at the same time as the internet.

It just makes too much sense, even if there wasn't a general bias against Nintendo consoles, and goes directly in concert with Nintendo's blue ocean strategy. Why pit yourselves directly at competitors at events like E3 when you can hold your own events with exclusive spotlight anytime you want (and far cheaper and with a much greater penetration in the age of the internet than with an invite-only press event). It's why Valve doesn't do E3. They're able to hype the shit out of every release they do on their own merits, because they've built their reputation on their own merits and quality products and through far more interesting methods like TF2 update comics/meet the team videos, ARG's, and other promotional campaigns which reach directly to consumers, not a glorified song and dance for a divided press.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I think we all missed that part where Iwata said that we should help Nintendo reach its financial goals or we will never get to see Metroid Prime 4. You know, that screenshot he teased us with at the end of the Direct. Sorry Iwata, I won't be pledging unless I see some kind of gameplay prototype.

Whether the article is positive or negative is completely irrelevant when the point the writer is trying to push is simply and plainly dumb.

Yup. It is typical fair. The problem lies with the weird and half-baked thesis. That Kohler article is even worse, in this regard (especially considering his misuse of a very easy to understand word).

I just read the GameSpot article, and Good Lord am I amazed by the intellectual judo on display by some journalists; turning "Nintendo fixing Wii U problems and candidly addressing failings" into a massive failure on Nintendo's part and trying to project their own personal feelings on everyone else.

I just read the GameSpot article, and Good Lord am I amazed by the intellectual judo on display by some journalists; turning "Nintendo fixing Wii U problems and candidly addressing failings" into a massive failure on Nintendo's part and trying to project their own personal feelings on everyone else.

The author posts on GAF, but I haven't seen him since he was the subject of two consecutive GAF beatdowns (metal of honor not being realistic enough and being unable to comprehend skyward sword's controls on even the most fundamental level). I think he's going for a hat trick.

x3sphere

Very misleading title. I thought there'd be some actual evidence in it or commentary from actual Nintendo staffers, but it's all conjecture on the writers part.

PhantomR

Banned
IMO these Nintendo directs (especially this last one) are really aimed at the people who don't already own a Wii U. If you already have a Wii U there's not as much impetus to sell you on their upcoming lineup of software.

Noooo my friend. There is a MASSIVE impetus on selling their upcoming lineup of software even if you already have the system. The Wii had a fairly weak attach ratio for most of its life. I'm sure Nintendo wants to change that and make sure that they are selling much more software. Beaming news directly to people's consoles in the homes of both core AND CASUAL gamers is crucial towards making that happen. Nintendo Channel needs to come back for Wii U and Nintendo Direct should be broadcasting on it when it goes down.

AkuMifune

Banned
So this is just a backwards-looking version of every other IGN article?
Think it's just another example of how people who grow up in an educational system where everyone gets an A for effort turn out. All opinions are not valid, because some people actually take the time to refine thier ideas in the context of the bigger picture with many outside factors in play.

But this writer is not a special snowflake and his opinion is just half-baked stupidity.

So Kohler posted another article defending his use of the term Vaporware

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/vaporware-addiction/

I still don't get it; he's saying literally every announced unreleased game is vaporware, which might be one of the silliest things I've read

His "vaporware" article was clickbait because today, the modern usage of the word "vaporware" has the connotations that the game will NEVER ACTUALLY BE RELEASED.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vaporware

Top 5 definitions:

1. Software that has been delayed so long that it will never be released.

2. Anything (usually software, but can be anything) that is promoted and marketed without ever actually being produced.

3. Vaporware is usually related to a game, such as Duke Nukem Forever, that is always talked about and hyped but never actually completed.

4. computer software that is announced but does not yet exist due to being stuck in development or being canceled all together

5. Software that does not exist or has not been programmed yet.

Vaporware is Duke Nukem Forever, TLG, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Agent... NOT Mario Galaxy U, Zelda U, and Mario Kart U.

jay

I still don't get it; he's saying literally every announced unreleased game is vaporware, which might be one of the silliest things I've read

Sony and MS have acknowledged they will have follow up consoles but they aren't even out yet. Vaporhardware?

The games are amorphous, will come out whenever they come out, and we have seen no assets, so I understand what he is trying to say, but he is not using the correct term.

Copenap

I do hope Polygon doesn't support those evil video game companies with their disgusting business methods and stops posting any news or articles regarding games that haven't been released yet.

Today I learned that you can use linguistic failings as a launching point to show everyone how great and enlightened you are with your amazing insights.

farnham

Banned
His "vaporware" article was clickbait because today, the modern usage of the word "vaporware" has the connotations that the game will NEVER ACTUALLY BE RELEASED.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vaporware

Top 5 definitions:

Vaporware is Duke Nukem Forever, TLG, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Agent... NOT Mario Galaxy U, Zelda U, and Mario Kart U.

New Definitions

1. Software that has been delayed so long that it will never be released.

2. Anything (usually software, but can be anything) that is promoted and marketed without ever actually being produced.

3. Vaporware is usually related to a game, such as Duke Nukem Forever, that is always talked about and hyped but never actually completed.

4. computer software that is announced but does not yet exist due to being stuck in development or being canceled all together

5. Software that does not exist or has not been programmed yet.

6. Games announced by Nintendo on Nintendo Direct incl. but not limited to Mario Galaxy U, Mario Kart U, Zelda U, Pokemon XY

watershed

Banned

Unless every article he rights covering teaser trailers, E3 announcements, etc is going to lead with the term vaporware, i.e. Rockstar Announces new vaporware GTA6, then he is full of shit.

John Romero’s Daikatana ranked #5 on Wired’s Vaporware Awards list in 1999 because — oh, the agony! — two whole years had passed since the game’s announcement. Today that would be speedy.

No Chris, Daikatana was considered vaporware because it had been delayed multiple times and missed several deadlines.

Do I think that Nintendo will cancel the Super Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda games that it announced this week? No. Do I think they might be delayed for a long time? Yes, particularly Zelda.

Zelda can't be "delayed" since Aonuma said that they were still going through the very basics. There is no way to delay that which has no date or timeframe.

Remember the Wii Vitality Sensor? Remember how Xenoblade almost didn’t make it to the U.S. after being announced for America?

Again, using a localization as proof of "vaporware" is extremely flimsy.

If you need a solid definition, how about this - based on every single time I've seen the word "vaporware" used in the last 15 years:

"Vaporware" is a game that disappears for an extraordinarily* long time between updates or appearances; its status as vaporware is usually exacerbated by the concreteness of the original announcement, how many times deadlines have been delayed or missed, and whether the possibility arises of the game having been stealthily canceled.

Using a 1984 defintion of "vaporware" as proof of your correctness is practically the same as writing the headline "Nintendo Direct Gives Wii U Owners Reasons to be Gay," and then going "WAIT NO HAVEN'T YOU WATCHED THE FLINTSTONES IT MEANS HAPPY"

Another article showing Chris Kohler is more interested in yellow journalism than, you know, being factually accurate. May your upcoming career at the Weekly World News be interesting and fulfilling, Chris!

Codeblue

I understand his point, and his article makes sense in the context of how he defines vaporware. The problem is that no one else defines vaporware that way so the article reads like he's making things up. I still think it's a pretty bizarre definition since pretty much every big game that isn't on an annual schedule is considered vaporware to him.

Anyway, I'd rather see him drop the term altogether than continue using it because it gives the reader the wrong idea.

one_kill

I understand his point, and his article makes sense in the context of how he defines vaporware. The problem is that no one else defines vaporware that way so the article reads like he's making things up. I still think it's a pretty bizarre definition since pretty much every big game that isn't on an annual schedule is considered vaporware to him.

Anyway, I'd rather see him drop the term altogether than continue using it because it gives the reader the wrong idea.
Exactly. Unless a game's gone gold, it's still technically vaporware. So GTAV is vaporware according to the definition in the article.

udivision

Pretty much. "Oh, of course they'll make another Mario Game. Too bad it's vaporware." is a head scratching sentiment unless one knows that you decided to redefine the term.

Noooo my friend. There is a MASSIVE impetus on selling their upcoming lineup of software even if you already have the system. The Wii had a fairly weak attach ratio for most of its life. I'm sure Nintendo wants to change that and make sure that they are selling much more software. Beaming news directly to people's consoles in the homes of both core AND CASUAL gamers is crucial towards making that happen. Nintendo Channel needs to come back for Wii U and Nintendo Direct should be broadcasting on it when it goes down.

Yep, well said. It also rallies the troops and helps stave off customer dissatisfaction & negative word of mouth. That Direct was obviously huge for U owners' morale after a series of negative sales stories and headlines of "developer X confirms multiplatform game Y not coming to Wii U because he couldn't give a toss."

I do feel like the selection of games they showed was aimed squarely at Twitter and message boards just like this one though. They knew exactly what they were doing putting X last as their grand finale; that series' internet presence greatly outweighs its sales impact.

Using a 1984 defintion of "vaporware" as proof of your correctness is practically the same as writing the headline "Nintendo Direct Gives Wii U Owners Reasons to be Gay," and then going "WAIT NO HAVEN'T YOU WATCHED THE FLINTSTONES IT MEANS HAPPY"

In fairness, the Mario Galaxy boxart confirms this.

Top Bottom