• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

legacyzero

Banned
Nah, he's awful.

twat_zpsda41f00f.jpg

Wow, what an asshole.

Kade

Nah, he's awful.

twat_zpsda41f00f.jpg

He should stick to bringing exposure to indie games because his opinions about most things are fucking awful. One minute he's militant pro-consumer and arguing for consumer rights (SWTOR, SimCity, Origin, War Z, etc.) and then suddenly he's shitting on anyone who disagrees with these anti-consumer policies. What a fucking goof. He became shitty when he realized he could spew metric tons of dreck and 75% of his million subscribers would praise him for his "forward thinking".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He's angrily typing the rebuttal as we speak. Dat secret sauce

Edit: on point, very good stuff though. Maybe this will be a kotaku-esque shift in focus for the site.

Or simply an attempt to align themselves with the general sentiment and not be left behind?

TB acting the pompous ass I see.

Oh and good for Polygon. I've held a negative view of them for a while now but that article was wonderful.

Kade

Who the hell is TotalBiscuit and why are we paying him any attention ?

For future reference,

Google.com

You get a reply instantly and don't have to wait for someone to read your post, think about what to type and respond. But since I'm nice:

Total Biscuit is a prominent games streamer, YouTube personality and commentator known for bringing lots of exposure to lesser known games. He's one of the biggest gaming channels on YouTube.

Karakand

Polygon said:
It's aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers.

I guess the bourgeoisie and proletariat have no use for outright ownership of their property in the class dynamics of Polygon's worldview.

What a shrill, silly sentence.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
This is actually one of the better articles on this issue.

I really like the part where the writer succinctly explains the differences between Steam and the Xbox One. People really don't seem to grasp the huge differences at play there.

And can we ignore TotalBiscuit please? He doesn't care at all about console gaming, and whether or not he actually believes that crap he has said on this issue, he is most likely being controversial to get attention, which leads to increased awareness and viewership of his content. And he's currently doing a damn good job of getting people talking about him.

jcm

For future reference,

Google.com

You get a reply instantly and don't have to wait for someone to read your post, think about what to type and respond. But since I'm nice:

Total Biscuit is a prominent games streamer, YouTube personality and commentator known for bringing lots of exposure to lesser known games. He's one of the biggest gaming channels on YouTube.

That doesn't explain why anyone values his opinion regarding drm.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
On the subject of the anti-middle class line, Chris Plante (the author) elaborated in a tweet that growing up he rented and borrowed the majority of his games because he couldn't afford to buy many. By denying consumers these two avenues for playing games they're cutting off people who might be in a similar situation. As long as console games remain at the fixed $60 price point there's going to be some people who can't really afford them. He was just speaking from his personal experience.

quest

Not Banned from OT
On the subject of the anti-middle class line, Chris Plante (the author) elaborated in a tweet that growing up he rented and borrowed the majority of his games because he couldn't afford to buy many. By denying consumers these two avenues for playing games they're cutting off people who might be in a similar situation. As long as console games remain at the fixed $60 price point there's going to be some people who can't really afford them. He was just speaking from his personal experience.

Similar to me and my friends when we were growing up. Used/trading/selling/renting made it possible for us to become gamers and spend a ton of money once we had real jobs. The price of console gaming is already pushing kids towards tablets this will only make it worse. I bet a lot of us have the same story were our parents could not afford to buy us 12-20 games a year new. This industry was built on renting/trading/selling/buying used. I used to post ads in the local news paper to trade/sell games when I was a kid. Yes I am that old lol.

Replicant

I still don't trust Polygon given their past tendency of sleeping around with publishers, especially EA and Microsoft. But I appreciate this article.

But then I remember Gies and it just left sour taste in my mind.

Just like people were buying ps3's in droves at 599? Because it was the next playstation and they are stupid sheep who don't think?

This system won't sell. I'm confident in that. People will notice all the shit it doesn't let you do that consoles normally do. All while offering nothing in return.

SummitAve

Banned
I still don't trust Polygon given their past tendency of sleeping around with publishers, especially EA and Microsoft. But I appreciate this article.

But then I remember Gies and it just left sour taste in my mind.

Source on the sleeping around part?

Kade

Pretty much my situation. I was the kid who only owned one game for each console (the one I thought was the coolest when we were purchasing the console) and every other game was either borrowed from a friend/cousin or rented. We didn't celebrate Christmas or Easter or anything so there were really no opportunities for my parents to give me gifts outside of my birthday. When it was my birthday, all it meant was that my parents were obligated to say "Yes" when I asked them if we were allowed to rent a game. Call it a poor financial decision or love for their children; my parents could have easily gotten away with purchasing a previous gen console so then the games would be relatively cheaper and there would a large selection of already released games. I wouldn't have complained at all. I know a lot of families in this position and I'm glad they have two other options when it comes to consoles.

Zarrastro

I guess the bourgeoisie and proletariat have no use for outright ownership of their property in the class dynamics of Polygon's worldview.

What a shrill, silly sentence.

I think they mean that lower class are those who cannot afford a X hundred bucks console. And that MS policies will affect more those with less $$$ thus affecting less bourgeoisie.

Wow people are really going nuts about this. In a few months no one will care except the people trying to organize xbox protests

Sorral

Can we please stop giving TotalBiscuit any more attention? He doesn't deserve any of our attention that we have been giving him.

OT: Polygon wrote this? What is the world coming to.... Oh wait, Xbone happened.

Pretty much my situation. I was the kid who only owned one game for each console (the one I thought was the coolest when we were purchasing the console) and every other game was either borrowed from a friend/cousin or rented. We didn't celebrate Christmas or Easter or anything so there were really no opportunities for my parents to give me gifts outside of my birthday. When it was my birthday, all it meant was that my parents were obligated to say "Yes" when I asked them if we were allowed to rent a game. Call it a poor financial decision or love for their children; my parents could have easily gotten away with purchasing a previous gen console so then the games would be relatively cheaper and there would a large selection of already released games. I wouldn't have complained at all. I know a lot of families in this position and I'm glad they have two other options when it comes to consoles.

Yep, same with me. I only got to rent games or I would have to buy them myself. I would go to my friend's house to play his genesis and he would come over to mine to play snes. We would rent like a game every other week. I remember when he got toe jam and earl. Coop was so fun.

Looking back, I had a lot of systems growing up but not many games. I had a pc, gameboy, nes, atari 2600, snes, and ps1. The only system that I owned more than 5 games for was pc and atari. I had tons of atari games. I'm pretty sure 3/4 of my pc games were shared from friends.

Jack ‏@JackandCalumon

.@JimSterling had a Microsoft employee defend Microsoft today by comparing them to prostitutes, because that's apparently a good thing.

Huh?

Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling

Never thought "Xbox One is okay because prostitution has been around for a long time" would be used as a sincere defense of Microsoft.

I guess this is the tweet?

Ron Berry ‏@BoomerSoonerRon

@JimSterling The oldest profession know to mankind is being a whore, they DID IT to make money.

He also had this advice when someone said it's dumb to think everything future tech is good.

Ron Berry ‏@BoomerSoonerRon

@GodEmperorLeto Go back to your NES and blowing your cartridges

:lol, it's been a weird day(s)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Between your other posts here and that avatar of yours, I'm beginning to suspect that the "gamers exemplify cognitive dissonance and purchase the XOne anyway" isn't so much something you're expecting as something you're really hoping will happen.

I really would like to know what you think you stand to gain from a scenario where this kind of DRM becomes the new norm for consoles, since you seem so keen on the idea.

Common mistake is to assume a positive net personal gain is the driving force behind human actions or thought. Base human instinct of every human being is only to ensure that others do not benefit. Thus as long as this instinct is achieved self-harm or lack of personal gain becomes acceptable.

Duke Togo

I completely agree with the opinion piece. I'm almost tired of being so incensed at ms for this whole debacle...I need a drink.

I'm really now curious to see how this whole XOne thing will turn out now. With gaming sites openly calling MS despicable will:

• Microsoft change their stances?
  • Gamers exemplify cognitive dissonance and purchase the XOne anyway?
  • Or will Microsoft's gaming division die a horrible death?

The second by the millions.

RPGCrazied

Why do people keep quoting totalbiscuit? Is he even a gamer? I know I lost respect from him when he basically said people that rent/used games are ripping off the developers. Yeah, go away.

Hulud

Wow, TotalBiscuit making a fucking fool of himself over all this. I always thought he had a pretty rational head on his shoulders. Guess not.

J_Lee

Banned
Wow, TotalBiscuit making a fucking fool of himself over all this. I always thought he had a pretty rational head on his shoulders. Guess not.

When you have thousands of people hanging on every word you say and kissing your ass this is what can happen to a rational head.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And the 7.5 is forgotten just that quickly...

Lets be honest a game journalist reviewing a game lower than average is the lowest issue one could have with a game reviewers in general. They didn't like the game, and didn't feel it deserved a higher score. Unless you've actually played the game moaning about the review now is kind of pointless.

Now onto the more important issue of a Polygon writer ripping Microsoft a new one. Jolly good show.

Top Bottom