• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

If I'm looking for a Xbox in 2016 I'm looking at spending somewhere around $250 if not $199 around holiday time. I don't think that same customer is itching to spend $500-$600 on a new platform a year from now.

I specifically said "wants the best Xbox"; I'm not talking about budget consumers. They're going to buy the base Xbox One anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I genuinely don't care about hardware power.

The weakest systems of this generation offered me the best experiences by far and I'm probably going PC next time around anyway (+ Nintendo).

But I really hope MS is able to kick some sense into Sony. They coasted by on "we are the most powerful console", cynical pro-gamer PR and awful third party "collaborations" right out of MS' very own playbook for far too long.

Lol

Juanfp

What if Sony delay the Neo to have a better hardware than the Scorpio and this make MS delay the Scorpio to have a better hardware then Sony again delay the Neo and then MS again and we never have a new console :eek:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
the same for me, this just seems like a major stupid decision, one where both MS and sony are literally alienating all their early adopters and fans of their brand, in my honest opinion

Not sure how they're doing that if the base console will remain the target for development for at least 2 more years.

If developers start targeting Scorpio and Neo exclusively by 2018 that will still mean we got a "traditional" console cycle out of One and 4. It's not complicated.

Even then, PS4 and Xbox One will continue to get new games like 360 and PS3 did right up until last year.

On top of THAT, all your PS4 and Xbox One games will follow you. What's the issue?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
the same for me, this just seems like a major stupid decision, one where both MS and sony are literally alienating all their early adopters and fans of their brand, in my honest opinion

I think this type of mentality needs to go away. The faster people get over it, better it is. No one is making you spend money to get the new console every year, new games will still be playable until you are ready to spend more money for better hardware. Just like you dont have to buy every new phone model every year.

Someone explain this to me.

Sony is dominating MS, big time. They come out with Neo much earlier then Scorpio.

So why exactly does Sony need to worry about MS? The dominating company gets to put their plan out in the market 6-8 months before the competition and they should be worried?

What am I missing?

Kyrios

If/when consoles go the iterative route every 3 years or so, I'm hoping you can at least skip every other iteration if you don't mind forsaking the performance boost of the newer console and still be able to play new games. I think that would be reasonable.

Like buy Neo/Scorpio, skip the next one, buy the third iteration, and so on.

thuway

Exactly what I & many others have been saying.

People thinking that MS bringing out "Scorpio" & thinking that they'll win because of having "more power" aren't living in reality.

Nobody is saying this, but Sony isn't stupid enough to sit idly by and let Microsoft take performance to such an extent that it makes Neo look anemic by comparison. Than again, perhaps I'm overestimating just how much consumers value things like "1080p"- but resolution, digital foundry articles, and performance have become a mainstream topic of discussion.

Sarobi

Banned

Sony is dominating MS, big time. They come out with Neo much earlier then Scorpio.

So why exactly does Sony need to worry about MS? The dominating company gets to put their plan out in the market 6-8 months before the competition and they should be worried?

What am I missing?

Because power = everything, and PS fanboys rave about it so... LOGIC!

scoobs

I think this type of mentality needs to go away. The faster people get over it, better it is. No one is making you spend money to get the new console every year, new games will still be playable until you are ready to spend more money for better hardware. Just like you dont have to buy every new phone model every year.

The problem is gamers tend to want the newest and best at all times, so they're mad that they "have to buy it" because they literally cannot help themselves. Microsoft knows this, Sony knows this, that's why they are making these new consoles. Its guaranteed money that they're currently missing out on. The 20-40 million hardcore gamers out there are always going to pony up the money for the newest device.

vpance

MS wants so badly for this to be the PS2 vs Dreamcast situation, but it'll be more like Xbox vs PS2 all over again, down to the year later release. Ecosystem and friends trump power at a certain point.

orochi91

What am I missing?
I'm not sure, to be frank.

I've mentioned this earlier, but the only way MS have a shot at winning anything would be if Sony fucks up big time.

Other than that, they'll forever remain a distant second. Sony have nothing to worry about.

The ones who benefit most are PC gamers (access to MS's exclusive library) and current Xbox fans who crave a beefier console.

Sydle

I agree software is the most important part, but I also think third party titles and visual fidelity matters to a segment of the market. The more pressing matter for Sony is to do whatever it can to get within a ballpark of Scorpio where it can get ports at a competent fidelity level where most owners won't pine for the need to switch brands.

I feel like chasing Scorpio is less important than continuing to instil a sense of being the best place for killer first-party software like Bloodborne and Uncharted 4, the right third-party deals like SFV and Destiny, and a ton of indies.

Besides, there will probably be another upgrade within 2 years after Neo releases that turns the tide or at least evens the playing field.

The problem is gamers tend to want the newest and best at all times, so they're mad that they "have to buy it" because they literally cannot help themselves. Microsoft knows this, Sony knows this, that's why they are making these new consoles.

If you buy a console you already know you're not getting the best experience

5-6 TFlops... :O
How do they stuff that into something the size of an X1/PS4? and how much energy will it consume?

Finfet and better cooling

Nobody is saying this, but Sony isn't stupid enough to sit idly by and let Microsoft take performance to such an extent that it makes Neo look anemic by comparison. Than again, perhaps I'm overestimating just how much consumers value things like "1080p"- but resolution, digital foundry articles, and performance have become a mainstream topic of discussion.

Average consumers don't know or care about any of that. They don't watch events such as "E3" or seeing videos or articles of graphic comparisons of games like we do.

Fredrik

lol, how do you feel about the Neo?
Look at past threads. I'm boycotting Playstation until PS5 comes out. They can both go to hell. What piss me off with Scorpio is that lots of people including myself got XB1 a year later than US/UK people since the lauch was delayed, so 2017 is way way waaay too early for an upgrade.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Around 50% more computational power than Neo? I don't see how that's possible unless they are willing to take a loss. I just don't believe this. Sure they may be "targeting" it but will probably end up with something less. There are many things like power consumption, form factor, pricing etc. that determines what type of hardware they might be willing to give us.

I'll be impressed if they do manage to do it though.

thuway

5-6 TFlops... :O
How do they stuff that into something the size of an X1/PS4? and how much energy will it consume?

They are probably accomplishing this by moving to an entirely new architecutre. Educated guesses say Microsoft is skipping Polaris altogether and jumping headfirst into the first generation Vega products. That plus an intelligent cooling system could help keep things tidy.

Look at past threads. I'm boycotting Playstation until PS5 comes out. They can both go to hell. What piss me off with Scorpio is that lots of people including myself got XB1 a year later than US/UK people since the lauch was delayed, so 2017 is way way waaay too early for an upgrade.

Ps5 is going to be a ps4k2. It's continual upgrades

BKG

Banned
Exactly what I & many others have been saying.

People thinking that MS bringing out "Scorpio" & thinking that they'll win because of having "more power" aren't living in reality.

Aside from Uncharted 4, PS4s lineup has been nothing groundbreaking. I have enjoyed the Xbox lineup much more. The bad PR and less power really took a toll on the Xbox One. My ps4 was collecting dust before UC4 and after I'm done with that I don't have any ps4 exclusives other than Horizon that I'm super stoked for. I think the NEO is releasing too early, it's only been 3 years. If Xbox can knock it out of the park with the launch of the Scorpio I think it could be a momentum shift for sure

Bsigg12

So don't buy it? They're not just stopping support for the Xbox One because this is coming out....for over a year if the rumors are true. There are a lot of things coming out before then, all of which will be playable on both consoles.

Sarobi

Banned

Like I've said to people in the NEO threads: Don't like this movement? Don't buy it. Vote by not giving them your money. This goes to everyone who don't like this business model.

Aside from Uncharted 4, PS4s lineup has been nothing groundbreaking. I have enjoyed the Xbox lineup much more. The bad PR and less power really took a toll on the Xbox One. My ps4 was collecting dust before UC4 and after I'm done with that I don't have any ps4 exclusives other than Horizon that I'm super stoked for. I think the NEO is releasing too early, it's only been 3 years. If Xbox can knock it out of the park with the launch of the Scorpio I think it could be a momentum shift for sure

Average consumer don't about "exclusive" lineups.

If you look at console attach rate, a LARGE majority of console gamers own only 3-4 games per console.

The most popular games are not exclusives .

What am I missing?
Because Sony's success very much came off the back of their competitors failures.

Out of the 3 consoles that wanted consumers' attention fall 2013, one was a weaker, more expensive Kinect ridden mess where most launch games performed really poorly. Don't forget the massive always online PR debacle and TVTVTV. And then there was the Wii U.

The PS4 was a competently put together system with a clear message going up against 2 utterly misguided products.

They just had "the best" system this time around and it's all been momentum from there.

RootCause

They are probably accomplishing this by moving to an entirely new architecutre. Educated guesses say Microsoft is skipping Polaris altogether and jumping headfirst into the first generation Vega products. That plus an intelligent cooling system could help keep things tidy.

I'm assuming 150 - 175W max TDP, since Polaris 10 was rumored to be very power-efficient.
I just noticed it's rumored to launch fall of next year. :p

Could this have a Zen Cpu too?

What am I missing?

You would think that if Microsoft plays it well, potential buyers might go for scorpio instead of neo. Especially if scorpio supports oculus or vive for VR. And has the power advantage.

NolbertoS

Begun, the console wars have.

And we're done. Seriously, i'm wondering what prompted the Neo and Scorpio's development?? I doubt that the VR caused Sony and MS to upgrade, they could've waited till the next console gen, but seems the NX launch made Sony and MS weary to seek next gen specs ASAP rather than wait. I'll wait till E3 2020 when PS5, Xbox Three are revealed to finally buy an upgraded PS Neo and Xbox Scorpio.

scoobs

You would think that if Microsoft plays it well, potential buyers might go for scorpio instead of neo. Especially if scorpio supports oculus or vive for VR. And has the power advantage.

Ya except that PS4 has the PSVR, and the built in playerbase. I don't think adding more power is going to convert the community back to MS's favor. They need to do something big, game changing. I guess Oculus is their bet on that front, but it seems like Vive is winning people over on PC. I think merging Xbox and PC gaming is the smartest thing they've done since the 360. That might actually win over the hardcore gaming audience more than any power advantage.

timlot

Banned
There are a lot of aspects in this rumor that don't make sense. Unlike the PS4, the XO architecture isn't very scalable. The memory setup is relatively complex and the next console has to have the same design to maintain backward and forward compatibility. A 6 TFLOPS SOC would be bottlenecked by a DDR3/4 + eSRAM(or whatever small but very fast memory they use). So this is a limitation. Second is efficiency. We will be stuck with current processing nodes for a while and it's not going to be easy to cool down that sort of SOC and with similar power draw. Third of all is cost! It's not going to be cheap to make chips that powerful even a year from now.

I highly doubt Microsoft would be using DDR3/4 and eSRAM in a 6TF machine. My guess is that if they want to have 100% backwards capability with XB1/Xb360 they will just include the XB1 APU on the motherboard. Similar to what Sony did initially with PS3 for PS2 BC. At the launch of the XB1 tear downs had the price of the APU around $100. By the time XBox Scorpio arrives it will have been four years, a die shrink from 28um to 20um, and years of mass production that should have that chip around $40.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What if Sony delay the Neo to have a better hardware than the Scorpio and this make MS delay the Scorpio to have a better hardware then Sony again delay the Neo and then MS again and we never have a new console :eek:
We have to go deeper!

Let's see what happens @ E3. I haven't invested in their eco system and they need to deal with the fact that pc willl get their games also.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

What am I missing?

all about marketing and if Sony missteps like MS did it could be all downhill. Hell I am even question Neo and thinking I rather get more mileage out of my ps4 and upgrade to scorpio. Plus MS may have the power influence that Sony has had this generation. We cant forget how many digital foundry topics go up and all of us talk about power and what % ps4 is stronger compared to Xbox

Tanoooki

The gap between the PS3, 360, and Wii gen to the PS4, XBONE, and Wii U seemed a lot longer than the one to PS4K, "Scorpio", and the NX.

Are PS4K and Scorpio just souped up current gen consoles or new platforms altogether?

Grab some popcorn. It's moving quick.

giphy.gif

I'm not sure, to be frank.

I've mentioned this earlier, but the only way MS have a shot at winning anything would be if Sony fucks up big time.

Other than that, they'll forever remain a distant second. Sony have nothing to worry about.

The ones who benefit most are PC gamers (access to MS's exclusive library) and current Xbox fans who crave a beefier console.

The simple reason the Xbox 360 got a foothold last gen is because Microsoft did some things well AND Sony messed up big time.

Unless arrogant Sony screws up, nothing will change. But let's be fair, Sony is back to being slightly arrogant again.

thuway

The simple reason the Xbox 360 got a foothold last gen is because Microsoft did some things well AND Sony messed up big time.

Unless arrogant Sony screws up, nothing will change. But let's be fair, Sony is back to being slightly arrogant again.

How has Sony suddenly become slightly arrogant again?

What's funny is that the Xbox One's library isn't anything outstanding & that most of their "exclusives" are on PC now.

But it's opinionated.

BKG

Banned
Average consumer don't about "exclusive" lineups.

If you look at console attach rate, a LARGE majority of console gamers own only 3-4 games per console.

The most popular games are not exclusives .

Oh I agree 100%, I'm talking about the hardcore base. Most consumers are playing third party games anyway, but Microsoft has been doing a great job of righting their wrongs, by the end of next year we will have a ton of Xbox one exclusives and if they can nail the launch and price of the Scorpio, I definitely think it can be a momentum shift.

eifer

The Neo should be good enough to run any games with modern graphics at 60fps 1080p. I'd assume basically on par with a 970. For scorpio to go beyond that, it must mean that they're targeting higher resolution or VR support.

Mindlog

Now power doesn't matter. Nice.
One thing MS really has going for it is that they're doing a far better job with BC. Being able to aggressively apply that expertise makes a compelling reason to buy software there instead of 'new games should be Neo compatible now and maybe some old games will but not really.'
The Neo should be good enough to run any games with modern graphics at 60fps 1080p. I'd assume basically on par with a 970. For scorpio to go beyond that, it must mean that they're targeting higher resolution or VR support.
We'll see. Our hopeful projections of what hardware can do and what standards will be set are almost never met.
How has Sony suddenly become slightly arrogant again?
Motivated Sony put together an unimpeachable PS+ lineup.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'd love to see what kind of endgame Microsoft has if this is real. Let's hope they can properly explain it at E3...

Top Bottom