• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox Scorpio will be a ~6 TFLOP system (v PS4K's 4.14), unveil soon, Fall 17

I think they have been very open with their customers this gen, what did you find arrogant?

The lack of firmware updates and 1st party output slowing to a crawl, along with PS+ not trying close to as hard as they did on the PS3. (Granted on the last point, they had a much bigger pool to pick from)

Nothing major, but I don't think they're being as aggressive. We'll see in the next few weeks if anything will change, though.

madmackem

If all is true and it will have a slight lead performance wise it will be interesting if ms change pr spin, they've spent this gen saying power doesn't matter it's all about the games etc.

Fredrik

I have a nagging suspicion Microsoft will not be talking abotu Scorpio in depth at their E3 press event. Why would they publicly acknowledge a machine that is > year away.
To stop potential buyers who want the most powerful console to buy a PS4Neo. Hype from an upcoming powerful console can easily kill the launch hype of the inferior console.

Who goes first at the E3 press conference btw?

orochi91

To stop potential buyers who want the most powerful console to buy a PS4Neo. Hype from an upcoming powerful console can easily kill the launch hype of the inferior console.

Microsoft goes first.

The only way Scorpio affects NEO hype is if MS releases their new box this fall to compete with it, not 8-12 months after the fact, lol

Microsoft goes first, followed by Sony then whatever Nintendo does in their own world.

madmackem

The lack of firmware updates and 1st party output slowing to a crawl, along with PS+ not trying close to as hard as they did on the PS3. (Granted on the last point, they had a much bigger pool to pick from)

Nothing major, but I don't think they're being as aggressive. We'll see in the next few weeks if anything will change, though.
Lack of firmwares ok? They've been on a constant basis. First party slowing to a crawl really we've just seen two highly rated high selling first party games within weeks of each other. I don't even know what ps plus not trying close even means. As for not being aggressive they want to sell 20 million this fiscal year that's pretty much the entire install base of Xbox one in one year, they have a massive launch coming up with PSVR and look to be shipping another version of thier console how is that not aggressive?.,

Klocker

I think they won't talk about this at e3. It's leaked prematurely..

Also I think the biggest reason for it is transitioning to and embracing VR (Oculus Rift) with a capable machine. Sony's VR position needed a counter.... coincidently, a great jumping off point for the iterative console leap,

RoKKeR

I'd love to see what kind of endgame Microsoft has if this is real. Let's hope they can properly explain it at E3...

This is a key point. How are they going to package and explain their vision for the future while the Scorpio is still more than a year off? It has to be very clear.

If all is true and it will have a slight lead performance wise it will be interesting if ms change pr spin, they've spent this gen saying power doesn't matter it's all about the games etc.

If they say anything at all about it. People can figure out for themselves which console plays games better by reading the Internet, if they care.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have a nagging suspicion Microsoft will not be talking abotu Scorpio in depth at their E3 press event. Why would they publicly acknowledge a machine that is > year away.
Because there's a MS exec that thinks, " OK, Sony always beats us on announcements. They announced their console first, they announced their VR initiative first, they always seem to catch us off guard. But now we have a chance to announce our new console first! And not only that but we can announce a more powerful console so that Sony has to announce their weaker console after us! Muhahaha!"

I mean that's literally the only way it makes sense.

Xone9

Banned
basically:

1. No more fat , slim at retail for $299 going forward for 3 years
2. Xbox 720 in 2017 for VR support and 4k games

viveks86

For the first time ever, I'm really excited for the MS E3 conference. Not because of the rumored console or the games per se, but because of the renewed commitment to PC gaming. Yes UWP sucks etc., but we have never been this close! Just iron out all the kinks and you have a captive customer in me.

RoKKeR

This year's E3 is gonna be interesting, huh?

Too bad it's gonna be midnight over here. Can't watch it live.
Yeah, bummed about this. Missing out on the live reactions sucks.

I think they have to address this at some form or another at E3. Drop a codename or something, release window, design philosophy, etc. They can announce the Slim and all future games coming to PC/Xbox but there will still be a giant elephant in the room if they leave this out.

thuway

Because there's a MS exec that thinks, " OK, Sony always beats us on announcements. They announced their console first, they announced their VR initiative first, they always seem to catch us off guard. But now we have a chance to announce our new console first! And not only that but we can announce a more powerful console so that Sony has to announce their weaker console after us! Muhahaha!"

Even than it does very little. A year in this iterative cycle is a third of a generation and there's no garuntee Sony won't adjust specs to get both machines on a more level playing field.

If the rumors are true and they are launching this fall, it would be impossible to change things as it would already be in motion.

The initial rumors pointed to a sliding launch window, from fall 2016 to early 2017. Devs are just now getting the early kits, they can't really add CU's, but they can bump up the clock rate.

They haven't really committed to anything, and all we have is rumors, so there might be some unseen wiggle-room...but then again, Sony might feel the numbers are close enough that it won't matter, the rest can be overcome by the marketing/brand message.

orochi91

I don't see any talk about this at E3 unless MS want to jettison Xbox One sales to deep space

Perhaps XB1 is a lost cause and they recognize this.

Though to be fair, I don't see Scorpio affecting the current market-share either, so this is all pretty confusing.

Lack of firmwares ok? They've been on a constant basis. First party slowing to a crawl really we've just seen two highly rated high selling first party games within weeks of each other. I don't even know what ps plus not trying close even means.

These are all minor, but I felt like during the PS3 generation they were working harder to please everyone. I don't want to get too off topic.

Ultimately, if a lot of this was put to the side to make new hardware, it makes sense. As long as some benefits can end up on the regular PS4s, too.

RoKKeR

I don't see any talk about this at E3 unless MS want to jettison Xbox One sales to deep space

Only way I could see them skating around this is if they come out and say that the Slim is basically going to be the "budget Xbox" up until Scorpio releases and is really on the cheap side... $199 or something. That opens up the market and they can continue to support that console while hyping up the new one.

I agree that announcing it this early would make it tough for XBO sales to not take a substantial hit.

If I were MS no way I would announce before the Neo. I'd let Sony announce first to make sure, double sure, triple sure that I don't get set up for another Mic drop surprise. Because another ethering like that would be brutal.

Hold a special "but wait...there's more"! the next day.

orochi91

Wasn't the rumoured release for Neo Spring 2017?

Hence the 8-12 month window.

NEO launches ~12 months before Scorpio if Sony launches it this Fall.

NEO launches ~8 months before Scorpio if Sony launches Spring 2017.

Either way, they're gonna have the market to themselves for a significant period of time, completely unchallenged.

Unless...NX proves to be a worthwhile wildcard.

this could be more interesting
Perhaps, but then why go through the effort of a die shrink slim unless it comes dropping the price

The Slim version will assuredly be accompanied with a price drop.

creatchee

What if they make it so that you can safely buy an Xbox One now and then upgrade to the Scorpio? In fact, what if everyone who already has one can as well?

Massive trade-in program through major retailers. Trade in an Xbox One, get a Scorpio at a significantly reduced price - perhaps discounted by the then current value of an OG Xbox One if they really want to get aggressive.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Either way, they're gonna have the market to themselves for a significant period of time, completely unchallenged.

Unless...NX proves to be a worthwhile wildcard.
Eh, I think a $200 Xbox One Slim will keep them from being "unchallanged". 8 months is not nearly enough for devs to implement massive differences in games so the Xbox One Slim will still keep up from a graphics power perspective.
Only in Holiday 2017 will devs manage to show real improvements, and by then Scorpio will be out.

icespide

Banned
Eh, I think a $200 Xbox One Slim will keep them from being "unchallanged". 8 months is not nearly enough for devs to implement massive differences in games so the Xbox One Slim will still keep up from a graphics power perspective.

$200 is crazy talk

etta

my hard graphic balls
$200 is crazy talk
Yea maybe, $249 with a pack in. $200 if things start to get desparate. Or $50-$75 store credit. Either eay, a super cheap Xbox One that can still play the latest FIFA, Madden, and Call of Duty albeit at a lower resolution can still keep them in play for those 8-10 months.

What if they make it so that you can safely buy an Xbox One now and then upgrade to the Scorpio? In fact, what if everyone who already has one can as well?

Massive trade-in program through major retailers. Trade in an Xbox One, get a Scorpio at a significantly reduced price - perhaps discounted by the then current value of an OG Xbox One if they really want to get aggressive.

Isn't the whole point of iterative consoles to make money? This sounds like the same wishful thinking people have with PS4 trade ins for Neo. Won't happen unless the retailer decides to take a hit on it or make an offer themselves.

Old console versions will be abandoned within 2 years. Calling it.

If Scorpio releases in late 17, and they stop supporting it in 2019 (after two years of Scorpio coming out) then Xbox One has been supported for what has normally been considered a decent console generation.

N.Domixis

Banned
Yea maybe, $249 with a pack in. $200 if things start to get desparate. Or $50-$75 store credit. Either eay, a super cheap Xbox One that can still play the latest FIFA, Madden, and Call of Duty albeit at a lower resolution can still keep them in play for those 8-10 months.

Yeah but remember there is always the hype of a new iteration. Who knows of ps4k will be popular. I need to see it before I decide on how I will be approaching consoles from now on if this continues.

Or, y'know, to prevent the e3 headlines being 100% about Sony and widening the power gap over Xbox one. That's literally another way it makes sense.

orochi91

The vanilla PS4 will still be there to lap up majority of console sales.

NEO will be a premium product that won't be selling as much as the base model, at least not for the first year or two.

A $249 XB1 SKU will not do much.

NX might tho, who knows, Nintendo might have another winner on their hands.

Daft Punk

Banned

Getting marketing deals for Shenmue 3 and FFVIIR, spearheading VR on consoles before any other competitor, pushing an iterative console to jumpstart console sales as well as get 4K content on the move, etc. isn't considered being aggressive? Ok. Just say, "Sony isn't doing what I thought they would and I don't like it." That would be more believable.

Wollan

I'm curious on how well they have solved(?) ESRAM emulation. How 'iterative' will it really be. Will discs still be shared with XB1?

Not surprised by this development at all if true. I still hold the opinion that Sony should go with the $499 build with the better CPU and this just reinforces that. By the time this Scorpio releases a year later they can probably drop the price down to $399. If you are going to make a premium model then don't take half-measures.

John_B

I will definitely be looking to see how they present this thing. It's very early. It will be in stores around the same time as the iPhone that comes after the iPhone that hasn't even been announced yet. It seems like a bit of a gamble.

I don't think this will change Sony's strategy. They are prioritizing a viable production cost while still being focused on rendering performance within that budget. Microsoft will bleed money if they put it in the same price range, so it will be very interesting to learn how the different price and performance tiers will attract consumers. It will have a big impact on how the next iterations are designed and priced.

It's really interesting because the counter to that would be when scorpion launches it will be 50% more powerful than the neo and will then be unchallenged for several years while Sony rushes the ps5.

When "generations" start to lose meaning I wonder what that does for first mover advantage.

etta

my hard graphic balls
The vanilla PS4 will still be there to lap up majority of console sales.

NEO will be a premium product that won't be selling as much as the base model, at least not for the first year or two.

A $249 XB1 SKU will not do much.

NX might tho, who knows, Nintendo might have another winner on their hands.
So then it's just XB1 vs. PS4, the same as it has been for a while now.

Daft Punk

Banned
It's really interesting because the counter to that would be when scorpion launches it will be 50% more powerful than the neo and will then be unchallenged for several years while Sony rushes the ps5.

When "generations" start to lose meaning I wonder what that does for first mover advantage.

I'd imagine Sony wouldn't care about the 50% more powerful kick from Scorpio if they are about their business as usual. Why get into a pissing contest with MS if you already have the lead and maintain it?

Not surprised by this development at all if true. I still hold the opinion that Sony should go with the $499 build with the better CPU and this just reinforces that. By the time this Scorpio releases a year later they can probably drop the price down to $399. If you are going to make a premium model then don't take half-measures.

But won't changing the CPU make the Neo not compatible with current PS4 titles? I think that most people are going to be wanting to play the games that they bought for it.

He's referring to the Wii.

orochi91

So then it's just XB1 vs. PS4, the same as it has been for a while now.

Yup.

But that 8-12 months on the market by itself provides NEO with enough time to potentially to pick up enough steam among the core/casual crowds and get the ball rolling. It will be a success if Sony prices it right and if AAA games actually take advantage of the Neo Mode that's to be included in every game.

Wii caliber success.

Top Bottom