• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polyphony needs to step up their game with GT7

Jibbed

This is not what this thread is supposed to be about folks, I kinda alluded to that in literally the first sentence. Please stop looking at comparative screenshots and things like poly-count! It really, really doesn't matter.

Gran Turismo is lacking in more important areas of late, probably due to the insane amount of time spent accurately re-creating all of those lovely vehicles.

I for one would love GT7 before the end of 2016, but I think everyone and their grandmother knows that isn't happening.

ShamePain

Banned
I don't think so, polygon-wise PD's last tesellated cars are unbeatable but Forza cars are plenty of inacuracies, out of proportion parts and bad modeled details. I'm not looking at polygon numbers but accuracy or pro modelling, rather than taking shortcuts or a typical rushed job.
It still has the same incorrect rear rims, since Forza 2?

What do I agree is on the modeled engine and the not visible parts, but those details being unused in-game are a big waste of time and resources in my opinion. There is not a super-detailed damage model to make use of it and not all the cars in FM5 offer such details, only a few has detailed engines under the hood. You know how many?

1. Only a handful of cars in GT6 feature tesselation.
2. The F40 is known to be inaccurate, but the majority of the cars are very well modelled.
3. Only a handful of people out there will care if wheels are slightly incorrect. The general public doesn't care about that stuff.
4. The majority of cars feature full forzavista, I'm pretty sure all of DLC cars do, which is around 120 cars.

Jibbed

Never mind. Carry on, I'll look up the intricacies of tessellation whilst I'm at it. Some Digital Foundry articles would spice this thread up! /s

Edit: Isn't there like, a dedicated thread for GT/Forza/etc visual arguments? 'Face off' or something like that.

ShamePain

Banned
That's a FM5 Forzavista interior, is not subpar of course. I was talking about the 95% of non Autovista cars from FM4.

So you're still caught up on bashing a 2011 game? T10 never claimed that their cars were built for nextgen, PD did. T10's cars in FM4 were comparable to any other western dev racing game. PD future proofed their models, not a bad thing, but it didn't benefit them in comparison to T10. They've already caught up with PD on both quality/quantity of nextgen ready cars.

That's a FM5 Forzavista interior, is not subpar of course. I was talking about the 95% of non Autovista cars from FM4.

Again, that's the fault in your argument. You were comparing GT's equivalent of Autovista (ie. highest possible detail) to average detail cars from Forza.

If you used gameplay caps of both games like the shots from Forza were, or you used detailed photomode shots of both, it would be perfectly fine to say that Forza's models were worse. But you were trying to draw that conclusion from the lower LOD models, giving bias towards GT.

Apex

So you're still caught up on bashing a 2011 game? T10 never claimed that their cars were built for nextgen, PD did. T10's cars in FM4 were comparable to any other western dev racing game. PD future proofed their models, not a bad thing, but it didn't benefit them in comparison to T10. They've already caught up with PD on both quality/quantity of nextgen ready cars.
So you don't think that the Premium cars of GT6 aren't going to save a lot of modelling work in GT7 that will be used to model new cars?

I was not bashing FM4, is the example that all like to use to showcase the wonder of the outsourcing, but there are trades and a drop in quality that I don't agree or want to experience in GT7. So the context of my first reply.

Again, that's the fault in your argument. You were comparing GT's equivalent of Autovista (ie. highest possible detail) to average detail cars from Forza.

If you used gameplay caps of both games like the shots from Forza were, or you used detailed photomode shots of both, it would be perfectly fine to say that Forza's models were worse. But you were trying to draw that conclusion from the lower LOD models, giving bias towards GT.
Not sure what you understand for a lower LOD model, the 95% of FM4 cars does not have an Autovista model. What you see in the pictures is the higher LOD available in the game for those cars. If all the FM4 cars had a modelled Autovista LOD the total number of cars would be reduced drastically at half or less and I would not be posting in this thread.

ShamePain

Banned
So you don't think that the Premium cars of GT6 aren't going to save a lot of modelling work in GT7 that will be used to model new cars?

I was not bashing FM4, is the example that all like to use to showcase the wonder of the outsourcing, but there are trades and a drop in quality that I don't agree or want to experience in GT7. So the context of my first reply.

The outsourcers only model to extent that the employer demands it. On lastgen T10 wanted the models to be of that quality because they knew the 360 couldn't handle much more anyway so that's what they ordered the outsourcers to do. On currentgen they knew Xbone could handle better models so autovista is the new standard of quality they requested from outsourcers. The cars take 6 months to model each, you hear this same figure from T10, PD, Evo and other devs. The timeframe is exactly the same, but with more manpower you can model more cars at the same time. T10's output is around 100 cars per year, PD's output is 100 cars in 3 years.
As you can see from this outsourcing studio website they've built cars for many games - NFS, Forza, Driveclub, Driver, etc. Every major racing studio in the west is using outsourcing.
http://www.glassegg.com/portfolio.php

Not sure what you understand for a lower LOD model, the 95% of FM4 cars does not have an Autovista model. What you see in the pictures is the higher LOD available in the game for those cars. If all the FM4 cars had a modelled Autovista LOD the total number of cars would be reduced drastically at half or less and I would not be posting in this thread.

All Forza 5 and Horizon 2 models have Forzavista models. Combined, those games have around 350-400 unique cars. I don't see how the detail of the models is slowing them down so much.

As for "is the higher LOD available in the game for those cars", that's completely wrong. They have a photomode LOD, an Autovista LOD, and ingame LODs. The photomode LODs look nowhere near that bad, and they're nothing compared to the Autovista ones. What you showed wasn't the former or second, but the latter. For the GT screenshots, you showed the former. They clearly aren't the high detailed models because of the lack of detail, they're the ones where most of the things you'd see are hidden so they're purposefully undetailed to save performance.

The 205 GTi and its rally variant were such fun to throw around Deep Forest in GT5/6! Glad i'm not alone there!

Those were the T16s by the way. AWD and a lot more powerful, unfortunately I don't think there's ever been a game with a normal 205.

Ame

I want rally back in GT7. GT6 had 1 event with 3 races. GT5 had slightly more to offer, but it was still nonexistent. It's been a while since we've raced on the dirt roads of the Tahiti tracks, Green Forest Roadway, Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Smokey Mountain, Grand Canyon, etc. I want it all back.

Imagine GT7 rally events with Driveclub caliber weather.

a916

This is not what this thread is supposed to be about folks, I kinda alluded to that in literally the first sentence. Please stop looking at comparative screenshots and things like poly-count! It really, really doesn't matter.

Gran Turismo is lacking in more important areas of late, probably due to the insane amount of time spent accurately re-creating all of those lovely vehicles.

I for one would love GT7 before the end of 2016, but I think everyone and their grandmother knows that isn't happening.

With Sony having the mentality they have right now, and a precendent being set earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if they were like, here's a GT7 demo or something early like they did before. (then again that wasn't proper GT, but GT4 in HD, car physics were completely different in GT5)

The one thing that i found really shitty with gt is the car handling....it feels like the car is in a stick and the track is being moved around it.

Gt really needs a good car physics model

malyce

GT suffers from identity crisis. It doeasn't know what it wants to be. Jack of all trades, master of none. Everything is half-assed or half baked and PD keeps on making promises that they fail to deliver on. Instead of just keeping shit simple and improving on or implementing what the community wants they go above and beyond in weird ass directions with shit players don't need while neglecting the important bits. Watch Kaz fuck around team up with James Cameron to include a nuclear sub and deep sea diving phsyics so we can explore titanic remains in the GT7 trailer, but refuse to include proper point to point racing and proper nascar rules. I'm done falling for their shenanigans. I'll still buy a PS4 solely for GT7, but I'm not expecting much.
The one thing that i found really shitty with gt is the car handling....it feels like the car is in a stick and the track is being moved around it.

Gt really needs a good car physics model

Let me guess, you play in chase cam with a controller right?

Yiazmat

One other thing that they'll have to do this time is actually deliver on their promises.

I’m still waiting for a new track every month that they announced for GT6. It’s been more than a year since launch and they only added three.

So far they have promised better sounds and smarter AI for GT7. Let's see if we'll really get that.

Zyzyxxz

GT suffers from identity crisis. It doeasn't know what it wants to be. Jack of all trades, master of none. Everything is half-assed or half baked and PD keeps on making promises that they fail to deliver on. Instead of just keeping shit simple and improving on or implementing what the community wants they go above and beyond in weird ass directions with shit players don't need while neglecting the important bits. Watch Kaz fuck around team up with James Cameron to include a nuclear sub and deep sea diving phsyics so we can explore titanic remains in the GT7 trailer, but refuse to include proper point to point racing and proper nascar rules. I'm done falling for their shenanigans. I'll still buy a PS4 solely for GT7, but I'm not expecting much.

Pretty, shit like photo mode was a waste of time when they could have spent the resources refinding their online mode.

dalin80

Banned
Pretty, shit like photo mode was a waste of time when they could have spent the resources refinding their online mode.

Photomode has been a very popular aspect for a long time and probably isn't that resource intensive in the long run. I think they should ditch all the online features and apply more focus to the main game.

amnesiac

I remember when GT6 was first released that there was a lot of controversy over microtransactions. I didn't buy GT6 until today so I haven't gotten too far into it yet. Microtransactions haven't been mentioned in this thread anywhere, so I'm assuming that it isn't something to be concerned about in GT7?

I remember when GT6 was first released that there was a lot of controversy over microtransactions (I didn't buy it until very recently). It hasn't been mentioned in this thread anywhere, so I'm assuming that it isn't something to be concerned about in GT7?

You can purchase in game credits with real money if you want. But it was never really necessary as you still received more than enough credits just by racing. And they added updates so that nearly everything you do gives you credits. You even get login bonuses for logging in consecutive days.

No...i have a crude f1 cockpit setup with a 50 inch tv and 2 side mounted 27 for when i use it on pc.....this is built around a superkart frame that i used to race in in my younger days......the handling still sucks regardless of the wheel or if you are using a control.....many of the cars have no weight or feel to them under driving pressure....only some of the premium cars feel good and give you the sensation of shifting your cars force around to get through the corners quicker but they are just generic from the feel of it as i have driven some of these cars on the exact same track in real life and some are way off the mark...i dont expect a hyper realstic game but at the very least have some consistency with the quality of the driving experience....project cars...forza..iracing do a much better job of car physics

Sometimes less is more
they need to look at project cars as this game really nails it.

Top Bottom