• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT6| Beyonic is never coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Yeah, I guess People Like Us was pretty awful, huh.

I literally cackled

iblPyuwlI4D0j1.gif

tho I enjoy PLU

Yeah, I guess People Like Us was pretty awful, huh.
yes
ib0SAfromE1m7I.png

a personal anecdote: I think it's funny, there have only been two occasions when I've considered hopping off the Kelly train for a bit: the release of My Life Would Suck Without You and the release of People Like Us. The former ended up breaking records for fastest climb to #1 and slaying a bit, while the latter did about as well commercially as a Katy B song. And yet both of them were horrid enough to have me contemplating seppukellegend.
ibwFuvakgRaCBi.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
yes
ib0SAfromE1m7I.png

a personal anecdote: I think it's funny, there have only been two occasions when I've considered hopping off the Kelly train for a bit: the release of My Life Would Suck Without You and the release of People Like Us. The former ended up breaking records for fastest climb to #1 and slaying a bit, while the latter did about as well commercially as a Katy B song. And yet both of them were horrid enough to have me contemplating seppekellegend.
ibwFuvakgRaCBi.gif

nnnnnnn not too much

The best song was

I'ma sleep on it, sleep on it,
And I'll get back atcha when I wanna
I'ma sleep on it, sleep on it,
You can keep poppin up if you wanna

You keep on stressin me,
You, you keep on stressin me, DAMN!

Nah the beat song was

Do you hear me?
Baby ya gotta believe in the things that make you & me win together
Don't you throw in the towel
I'm keeping my promise to you I got ya back now
When the chips are down
It seems like it's so hard for you to move ahead
Just know that I am by your side
There aint no ifs, buts, or maybes,
I'm gonna stay down and ride for you baby

And then there's...

Shoulders down
Leg Out
Bend Over
Lips Pout
Bat Eyes
Show thigh
Lift em Up
Don't Touch

OMGSBDHEONDBALCURVDLSHFID!!! IM HAVING DANITY KANE FEVER AHH!

tumblr_m22y1hHU7A1r8d2mio1_400.gif

What I'm learning from Applause and Roar right now is that there isn't much of a correlation between song performance and artist popularity. We can't doubt that Lady Gaga is a higher profile entertainer than Katy Perry, that's true point blank period. The buying public is showing that a song will do well and resonate if it's appealing to the general trend, and that goes for any artist, big or unknown. People will KNOW that someone as huge as Lady Gaga is back on the scene, but outside of the rabid fanbase, it doesn't automatically mean that we can expect her presence to smash charts by default. I think that was the case for a while but it's becoming less of a case now.

The interesting thing though is that Rihanna and Katy Perry have been fairly consistent in popping out radio hits, but I think it says more about their pinache with radio trends than their objective, stand-alone popularity. And I'm not saying this as a defense for Gaga or an excuse for Applause, coz I'm not gonna make any excuses for it, but the bottom line is that Applause just isn't as "good" a song as Roar is, for the general public.

And you know what? Gaga deserves that. If she really wants to rule radio she would drop her increasingly niche schtick, she would get some of the more conventional song-writers out there right now, and write a mid-tempo song about perserverence and being yourself. And she'll smash. Katy has consistently been following radio trends for the past 8-9 singles, and it's a deliberate strategy. Same with Rihanna. It's a strategy that will reap good results if you stick to it. If you, however, don't follow these trends and instead further your own portfolio by releasing what you want to release, and disregarding what the buying public wants from you, then you shouldn't be surprised when you underperform.

Applause is holding up at number 2 right now because 60% of the public is excited for her return, and the other 40% genuinely like the song. Roar, on the other hand, with its much higher retention, probably has its fan base buying 20% of its total sales, while 80% of its sales are due to the fact that it's what PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR.

Looking at a song like Roar and a song like Applause, you can tell which one was written by an artist who wanted to sell records, and which was written by an artist who wanted to satisfy her fans. Both are noble, but one will obviously do better on Billboard. If Gaga thinks she can have it both ways then she'll have to prove it in these coming weeks with this song, but we'll have to wait and see.

Robido's decrepit fav finally got twitter.

Cricket-sound.gif

You didn't lie. And like most things internet related, he won't use it, and will eventually shut it down. It's odd having a fave who doesn't care about the internet. As someone who has virtually all his live shows audio and/or video recorded, umpteen unreleased music videos, and 30+ years of unreleased music in addition to all the authorized music, videos and concerts... He could have a massive internet presence. Prince sucks at being famous. But I guess money isn't everything.

Kyon

Banned
I almost made a big post asking Rob why he was so SILENT. Considering this is tge best opening ever for him to scalpT.I guess since we're doing all the work for him he can just sit there and laugh

The deafening silence is more shady. I like it

Even though I love those queens and this video isn't really that important, but that was such an unprofessional mess. They barely even showed the queens performing, that font was awful, Gaga looked awful, and just... ugh.

I know, I know... the official video's coming in a few days and will wipe this away from memory, but still. This song needs a propeller. This could have helped.

Gaga don't curr once again

I almost made a big post asking Rob why he was so SILENT. Considering this is tge best opening ever for him to scalpT.I guess since we're doing all the work for him he can just sit there and laugh

Did you? I'm at work,so I wouldn't have been able to reply. Unlike Roy, I gotta earn these coins.

Ties

Banned
Every post you've made since your return has thoroughly slain me.

W6cyEMz.gif
Gaga wishes her return is as immaculate

iGv3NcZPvhG3b.gif

Did Peter Pan leave his late night fireworks shift at Disney Land to be in Gaga's glitter bomb lyric video?

Rough times ahead, Stefani
Her hospitalization bill CLEARLY impacted her budget this era.

When you're strolling around trying to serve high fashion with finger paint, wearing black curtains, and running out of blonde hair dye this is what you geT.

iGv3NcZPvhG3b.gif

WHADAFAK

Tell me a 5 year old monster with his ipod made that lyrics vid. She just doesn't care. Katy wins by DISQUALIFICATION.

oh-lord-no.gif

EDIT: OMG Ties.... don't stop.

Yes. I can imagine how much life the mass Gaga drag has given you
Good sis Soulscribe called it. Seem's like such a long wait for a song that sounds like it was recorded when that style of music was trendy. Gaga should have followed Bey's lead and waited til she was sure she had a hit.

Ties said:
When you're strolling around trying to serve high fashion with finger paint, wearing black curtains, and running out of blonde hair dye this is what you geT.

I.. just.... LORD JESUS... lol

iGv3NcZPvhG3b.gif

I just wanted to quote this again because GODAMNIT.... This may be the funniest shit I've ever read in this thread.

iTz7vMKz2uQTo.gif

and that goddamn racoon.

Atlantis

Gaga wishes her return is as immaculate

iGv3NcZPvhG3b.gif

iGv3NcZPvhG3b.gif

Untouchable_icon.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom