• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Kojima Productions Reveal in Three Days?

YoungHav

Banned
I don't see how MGS3 being a virtual simulation is a far out theory. There's big hints in the game w/"Time Paradox" and the modern day Colonel speaking as if watching also.

SMZC said:
I said it before and I'll say it again: The Kojima that used to fuck with our minds doesn't exist anymore. Despite everyone's crazy theories, MGS3's character ended up being just a young Big Boss, and MGS4's an aged Solid Snake, just as these characters are just going to be Big Boss and Raiden, period.

Despite our differences of opinion in other areas I do agree with you here. MGS3 and 4 were straightforward affairs compared to 2 and Kojima obviously got burned a little too badly by fan reaction to MGS2.

But his teasers are still usually overly cryptic and rarely reveal information without at least one red herring. The game may be straight forward but the teaser might not be.

I still think it's Big Boss and Raiden though so I guess I'm just playing devils advocate.

jett

D-Member
Orlics said:
I would actually love that... where have we seen that before? Same character designs, etc, totally different story. It's definitely been done before.

Kojima has done this twice already. :p

MGS1 is pretty much a re-imagining of MG2.
MGS2 being a more obvious retreading of MGS1 as they basically spell it out or you in the game. :p

The reason MGS3 was so good, at least to me, is that it was an entirely different experience. Even in MGS4 you're constantly reliving shit from the past games.

akachan ningen said:
A combination of bad changes to the script, simplified gameplay, bad acting, ugly models, and the cut scenes(over the top is fine, but some of the details were just bad.)

TTS story, changes and all >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGS 2 / MGS 4

Some of the worst dialogue I've ever read and listened to, and acted out either with Saturday-morning cartoon style bombast or Dawsons Creek style melodrama (hals crying and whinging in MGS2/4 is pathetic, and where it not for the brilliance of the rest of the ending, Eva's 'emotional' monologue might have ruined the ending to MGS3 too)

Don't hold up Metal Gear like its some sort of masterpiece of storytelling. Its a brilliant world with brilliant characters, and I love the crazy mind that birthed it all, but his dialogue writing skills are about on a par with George Lucas.

WrikaWrek said:
I call them so called fans because they for some reason believe they know better than the rest.

I'm a pretty big MGS fan and i liked TTS. I have a rather hard time understanding the overblown hate it gets, if Kojima had plastered his name all over it nobody would say shit.

I love all the games, my rant above aside. And I totally agree with wrikawrek here.

WrikaWrek said:
?

Wouldn't it be the opposite? like "The boards will go nuts if this game is not PS3 exclusive."

Yup

freethought said:
Despite our differences of opinion in other areas I do agree with you here. MGS3 and 4 were straightforward affairs compared to 2 and Kojima obviously got burned a little too badly by fan reaction to MGS2.

But his teasers are still usually overly cryptic and rarely reveal information without at least one red herring. The game may be straight forward but the teaser might not be.

I still think it's Big Boss and Raiden though so I guess I'm just playing devils advocate.
It's not that Kojima was burned by fan reaction, rather, MGS2 hinged on a specific thing - that you didn't play as Snake. That was the point of all the misdirection, to make people think they would play as Snake when they didn't.

That hasn't been the point of any of the pre-release stuff since then because the character that appeared, aside from MGS2, has always been straight-up the character he/she appears to be.

Any supposed 'misdirection' on Kojima's behalf since then, in the majority of cases, has simply been fans reading misdirection into a fairly blatantly presented fact. Off the top of my head the only time Kojima has been actively engaged in a mind-fuck since MGS2 was the MGS4 trailer that featured the Young Snake face octocamo.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
proposition said:
Remember how, when MGS3 was announced, people were like 'OMG IT CAN'T BE BIG BOSS' and then they looked for all sorts of crazy loopholes, his eye was discussed over and over, time travel got discussed, basically every kind of possible theory to explain how the person in the trailer who looked exactly like Big Boss couldn't possibly be Big Boss?

And then it became like a meta-discussion about how it can't be Big Boss because Kojima has a history of misleading, so obviously the obvious answer - that it was Big Boss - couldn't be right? And how Kojima refusing to comment became evidence that it wasn't Big Boss?

And then after all that it was Big Boss?

And then again for MGS4 people were looking for all kinds of loopholes to explain how Old Snake couldn't actually be Snake etc. etc. etc. and again, at the end of it all, the obvious answer was staring everyone in the face and it was blatantly Snake all along?

Yeah, guys, you're doing that whole thing again.

The sound of reason. I can't believe how old those discussions feel now, I can barely remember the mess that was supposed to be MGS3's analysis.

So what you're basically saying is that the right answer is always the obvious and simple one?

Sunny disguising herself as Raiden and Johnny disguising himself as big boss CONFIRMED!!1

John_B said:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20050916/mgs403.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2i044tw.jpg[/IG]

Weird as Kojima is, this was perhaps a hint and not a joke?

EDIT:

[IMG]http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20050916/mgs406.jpg[/IG]

Raiden and Big Boss? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]
"But Metal Gear Solid 4 is..." "There's going to be a 5, right?"

hmm... :lol

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I really really really loved Akiba, he is awesome, but that's probably just me :(

Bit-Bit

Whoa whoa whoa, what the fuck is this comparison to George Lucas?

Kojima writes some pretty good dialog. Lucas writes some of the worst dialog I have ever heard.

Kojima on the other hand makes his characters out of this world intentionally and they say some out of this world things.

But to say that Kojima is the George Lucas of gaming is completely retarded.

hobart

Ok. I'm making my stance. I hate predictions... but, God, it's been fun thinking about this and theorycrafting with friends of mine. I wanna share mine, which could be wrong and I'm really ok with that.

That is a picture of Raiden. And the picture of the "old man" is Snake. Snake is the new villain in a brand new series. We simply take the reigns MID-FEUD.

So why? Well... I've always had the feeling Kojima disliked Snake since after MGS. Think about it. MGS2 he fooled us all and only had us play him 20% of the game making Raiden the main protagonist. MGS3 we DIDN'T even play as him but rather the man we ALL THOUGHT to be the series' progenitor antagonist. MGS4 he made Snake old, slow, dying and almost a joke. Do we ever truly get a triumphant moment out of "Old Snake" except for a final meeting with the man he was cloned from? If we are meant to believe that we have to go back to Zero... doesn't it make sense that Solid Snake follows the same path as his cloned "father?" That patch on his baret -- that's the ideal and belief of the system he now supports: a world where military endeavors and war can exist without boundaries. Sound familiar?

Metal Gear Raiden seems like a very logical step in a new direction. By entering the game MID-FEUD, the story-teller has many avenues to take the gamer.

Eye-color... patch... I'm not convinced these are reasons to believe that the "ninja" isn't Raiden... and that the "old man" isn't Snake. The only logical explanation for seeing those two characters (unless it's two different games -- or there is a clone -- both of which I find to be false) is looking at how they can be seen in the same period together: Snake lives, and Raiden is our new protagonist opposing him.

Besides, with Watchmen tanking... Lord knows Hayter needs the work. ;)

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bit-Bit said:

Kojima writes some pretty good dialog. Lucas writes some of the worst dialog I have ever heard.

Kojima on the other hand makes his characters out of this world intentionally and they say some out of this world things.

Whoa whoa whoa, what the fuck is this about Kojima being better than George Lucas? :lol

Kojima writes some pretty good dialog?

Whoa, talk about being delusional.

jett

D-Member
I hope it isn't Snake. I really thought we were done with him. Kojima needs to fire himself. Seriously, it's about time he steps down and lets somebody else direct Metal Gear.

Kingsora

Btw Kojima said that this game is going to sell mainly in Japan, but is going to have a worldwide release.

Eugghh... Does this man some card shit game??

SRG01

jett said:
I hope it isn't Snake. I really thought we were done with him. Kojima needs to fire himself. Seriously, it's about time he steps down and lets somebody else direct Metal Gear.

As long as he continues to make commercially successful MG games, he will continue to direct the series. Konami isn't dumb enough to risk one of their main sources of revenue.

Kingsora said:
Btw Kojima said that this game is going to sell mainly in Japan, but is going to have a worldwide release.

Why would it be a card game when Ac!d didn't sell well? As far as it being targeted for Japan, as I said earlier that's odd for him to say since the series has largely been geared toward the West.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bit-Bit said:

Raiden: "It even rained the day I was born."

Snake: "You were the lightning in that storm."

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kingsora said:

I gotta say that comment was the one thing to put me off. It got me thinking some crazy shit...

SolidSnakex said:
Why would it be a card game when Ac!d didn't sell well? As far as it being targeted for Japan, as I said earlier that's odd for him to say since the series has largely been geared toward the West.

Exactly.

zoukka

jett said:

He'll retire after this one. For sure!

Btw Kojima said that this game is going to sell mainly in Japan

Read again. And then once more.

hobart

jett said:

I actually agree with you. But I've always felt that MGS4 was more of a story about the death of Big Boss (surprisingly)... and not Snake. I just can't logically see Raiden and Big Boss together... but I can Solid and Raiden.

I was really hoping for something entirely fresh... but... doesn't look like it :)

Regulus Tera said:
Raiden: "It even rained the day I was born."

Snake: "You were the lightning in that storm."

FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!

jett said:
:lol I felt embarrassed for these characters in that scene.

I've never quoted an avatar b4, but it seems fitting

(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 01:09 PM)
Reply | Quote

2qnpht2.jpg

Chemo

jett said:
If you hate it so much, might as well skip the game and the accompanying threads.

This thread is almost fifty pages after a few numbers on a rainy screen and a pic of (maybe) Big Boss. Obviously a ton of people still want what Kojima's selling, myself included. If it's really so shitty, abandon ship already. I don't understand the need to write post after post after post of why MGS4 is so terrible and why Kojima sucks so hard. Just get over it, there are better things you could be doing.

BigFwoosh

As lame as it would be if that is Snake ("Hey, will you look at that. I'm cured!"), I think it would be pretty damn cool if he turned out to be the main antagonist. I don't think it's him though.

And it had better not be another clone. Solidus was okay since it made sense to have one dominant, one recessive, and one middle of the road clone. The only way a fourth would make sense is if this one was the very first clone they made and he was a total failure or something, so we never knew about him.

WrikaWrek

Banned
bdizzle said:
FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!

I've never quoted an avatar b4, but it seems fitting

(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 01:09 PM)
Reply | Quote

2qnpht2.jpg

Raiden: "It was never going to work out for me. It even rained the day I was born."
Solid Snake: "You've got it all wrong. You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness."

If you think that's good...then holy shit.

Kingsora

WrikaWrek said:
I gotta say that comment was the one thing to put me off. It got me thinking some crazy shit...

Exactly.
Okay so what else sells good in Japan. Oooh wait I know dating games.. :lol

Solo

Bit-Bit said:

Kojima actually makes Lucas look pretty good. Lucas' dialogue is wretched; so is Kojima's more often than not. Lucas is a great idea man, however; Kojima is all over the place.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is Snake incapable of having kids? As in the natural way? I can't imagine Snake dying a virgin, and Akiba always struck me as way too similar to Snake without being exactly like him. In MGS4, he's young and seemingly inexperienced, yet a decent shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Snake actually had a son at some point, not knowing about it.

jett

D-Member
Chemo said:
If you hate it so much, might as well skip the game and the accompanying threads.

This thread is almost fifty pages after a few numbers on a rainy screen and a pic of (maybe) Big Boss. Obviously a ton of people still want what Kojima's selling, myself included. If it's really so shitty, abandon ship already. I don't understand the need to write post after post after post of why MGS4 is so terrible and why Kojima sucks so hard. Just get over it, there are better things you could be doing.

Hey, as much as MGS4 felt like a slap to the face for me, I still love the series. So yeah I'm heavily interested in the next Metal Gear game. And I do believe that what it needs is a new beginning with a fresh director in front. My only hope is that this game has as little to do with #4 as possible. :p

Oh and this is kinda funny coming from someone that just went into a Castlevania thread only to declare that the whole franchise should die. :p

btw luv u guyz :lol

jett

D-Member
StarEye said:
Is Snake incapable of having kids? As in the natural way? I can't imagine Snake dying a virgin, and Akiba always struck me as way too similar to Snake without being exactly like him. In MGS4, he's young and seemingly inexperienced, yet a decent shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Snake actually had a son at some point, not knowing about it.

The Sons of Big Boss were made sterile. Big Boss was/is also sterile, btw.

Costanza

Banned
Um, so I haven't really been following all this and I've just heard they've been teasing things over the past couple weeks.. can someone sum up what we know so far? This thread is waaaaaay too large to work through.

Solo

Costanza said:
Um, so I haven't really been following all this and I've just heard they've been teasing things over the past couple weeks.. can someone sum up what we know so far?

Nothing.

StarEye said:

You don't have to be able to reproduce to get your dick wet.

StarEye said:

Uh, he's a ten-year vet.

Akiba is Johnny Sasaki from MGS1 and MGS2.

LiK

Costanza said:
Um, so I haven't really been following all this and I've just heard they've been teasing things over the past couple weeks.. can someone sum up what we know so far? This thread is waaaaaay too large to work through.

speculation.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
jett said:
The Sons of Big Boss were made sterile. Big Boss was/is also sterile, btw.

Nanomachines it is then...

Valkyr Junkie said:
You don't have to be able to reproduce to get your dick wet.

Well, duh!

EmCeeGramr said:
Uh, he's a ten-year vet.

Akiba is Johnny Sasaki from MGS1 and MGS2.

I know who he is. "Seemingly inexperienced" probably wasn't the correct phrase, but he did look and act like an amateur (just like in MGS1). Being a vet doesn't mean being particularly good. Too many "rookie" mistakes, see.

Top Bottom