• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

post a .gif of your single favorite Street Fighter move

The biggest tell, I think, is the shoto cr. HK.

Here it is in 3S:
ryu-crouch-hk.gif

I can't even find a gif of the stupid SFIV one, but in that he just kind of sits on the floor and spins around. It looks so stupid.

I think what makes the spritework so enchanting in 3S is how well the developers conveyed the shift in weight when someone moves. Even in that single Ryu sweep, he moves his arm to help balance the weight of the movement. That, along with the extremely dynamic movement of his gi and headband, really make the sprites in 3S feel alive. They definitely did a ton of research and detail work.

I think what makes the spritework so enchanting in 3S is how well the developers conveyed the shift in weight when someone moves. Even in that single Ryu sweep, he moves his arm to help balance the weight of the movement. That, along with the extremely dynamic movement of his gi and headband, really make the sprites in 3S feel alive. They definitely did a ton of research and detail work.
Yes, I agree. 3S also has moves that have a variable acceleration and a kind of "snap" moment. For example, that sweep is like, "BOOM! ...and then slowly retract." Likewise, the mule kick I posted earlier is like, "sliiiiidddddeeee...BOOM!"

Or these:
ryu-hp.gif

ryu-throw-forward.gif

These moves are mostly in SFIV, but in that, they just feel so stiff. Ryu's throw in SFIV (I can't find any SFIV gifs, for some reason--probably because the animations are so shit) feels like his opponent is just slowly rolling over his shoulder and falling to the ground. Contrast to the 3S one above, where he grabs his opponent, pulls him in, and then quickly SLAMS him on the ground.

Charlie's
latest

Flash kick. In SF vs Xmen his flash kick special could lift you up off the ground. Lost tons of friends at school because of it :

Yes, I agree. 3S also has moves that have a variable acceleration and a kind of "snap" moment. For example, that sweep is like, "BOOM! ...and then slowly retract." Likewise, the mule kick I posted earlier is like, "sliiiiidddddeeee...BOOM!"

Or these:
ryu-hp.gif

ryu-throw-forward.gif

These moves are mostly in SFIV, but in that, they just feel so stiff. Ryu's throw in SFIV (I can't find any SFIV gifs, for some reason--probably because the animations are so shit) feels like his opponent is just slowly rolling over his shoulder and falling to the ground. Contrast to the 3S one above, where he grabs his opponent, pulls him in, and then quickly SLAMS him on the ground.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Like explosions of power, right? That's so crucial in martial arts (I did some taekwondo and my sister still does it now), and acceleration is key. SF3S completely nails it. Talk about spoiling us rotten.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a lot of people have posted some of my favourites already, so here's one I thought was really cool:

colorswap.php

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
in prep for the Karin reveal, let's take a second to appreciate her counter - precursor to Dudley's rope a dope

BwTgee5.gif

and, uhh, while we're on the Alpha train..... a bit unrelated to the thread but awesome nonetheless as i've been playing a like of Alpha 2 Chun lately:

Soltype

Can't believe no one has tried to outdo SF3s sprites, it's been almost 20 years.I know SNK tried with KoF12/13 and they're really good, but they aren't as well animated.

Evilisk

It's too damn hard to pick one single favorite move. Makoto probably has most of my favorite moves though, I just love how raw and weighted her attacks are

mak-throw1.gif

mak-3punches.gif

makoto-frontkick.gif

mak-headbutt.gif

Q's pretty great too

q-bhk.gif

q-double.gif

ike_

Definitely looks like SF3 is winning because of dem frames.

Also looks like taunts and win poses count so:

RbyoPM7.gif

microfolk

Not sure why people keep screwing this up, but she's actually saying "Thank you Dan Kodowski!"

Mr. Kodowski is Makoto's lawyer, and he's helped her out with numerous legal issues she's faced. So, she's rather grateful to him.

This post made me chuckle in a very sensible way, thank you.

SFIII > every SF games. Their animation is top-notch.

Here's one of my favorites:

elenastance.gif

Is Elena's idle animation rotoscoped? I never understood why she's so fluid, it almost looks out of place compared to the other fighters... But I'm not really complaining, her animations are stunning.

Top Bottom