• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: PlayStation Move Sales Reach Over 4.1 Million...(shipped to retail)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That's 10% of the userbase. I expected Move to sell more to the PS3 audience than Kinect to the x350 owners, and I was right so far.

iammeiam

supermackem said:
So theyve sold to consumers 4.1m bundles wtf if true. My two stand alones and navi dont count then?.

NOt quite; they've sold 4.1 million things containing a Move wand. Console bundle, Move bundle, standalone, whatever.

The 4.1 mill does not include Move products that don't include a wand (so just the Eye or just the nunchuck)

Guevara

The release says that there are 4.1 million of these in the world (and nothing about the other parts):

337px-PSMove.png

carlosp

Banned
TheOddOne said:
I read the text 2 times but could not figure out if it was sold to retailers or customers.

well the question is quite easy to answer. Go to any retailer and see if they have tons of them laying around and slashing the price. If that is not the case, even if they sold it only to retailers it means it getting sold. Ofcourse every single human being could stop buying moves tomorrow and they would never be able to sell one single move anymore, but that is kinda unprobably. Even if it is sold to retailers, they wont have more then 10 to 20% in the channels.

marc^o^ said:
That's 10% of the userbase. I expected Move to sell more to the PS3 audience than Kinect to the x350 owners, and I was right so far.
Terrible logic for the reason I posted above. The average Wii consumer owns 2 Wiimotes.

Barrett2

PS4 and XBOX 720 will both have this shit packed-in. Welcome to the future.

Also; it's possible for one person to own 4 Move "units." So keep that in mind.

Cheech

Now, let's take a close look at that. One, a hoodlum friend. Two, a professional hit. Three, in a cop's apartment. This whole thing stinks to high heaven!

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sold to retailers, and you can have multiple moves on one system as opposed to only one kinect for one Xbox.

If you want to compare, you should compare Eye Camera vs Kinect sold to consumers.

zoukka

lawblob said:
PS4 and XBOX 720 will both have this shit packed-in. Welcome to the future.

You're welcome to stay in the past. Nobody forces you to buy anything. The old consoles have more games than you can play in your lifetime.

ShogunX

_dementia said:
I think we know the answer, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah sold to consumers would be pretty mind blowing but it just doesn't add up especially as they aren't counting each individual item. It's hard to say if Move is doing well at all without knowing how many have been sold at retail instead of to retail. A few people in this thread seem to misunderstand this though.

For all we know this could be a case of stuffing the channels.

marc^o^ said:

Not a chance this is to consumers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Woooooooooow

carlosp

Banned
A little press release from none other than Sony has just informed us that the company has so far sold 4.1 million PlayStation Move controllers around the world. That's a pretty healthy number, but let's not forget that the installed base will be slightly smaller since quite a few people will have bought more than one controller -- an issue not encountered by the 2.5 million owners of Kinect setups.

WTF Engadget? Everybody tries to play the sale numbers down.

Barrett2

zoukka said:
You're welcome to stay in the past. Nobody forces you to buy anything. The old consoles have more games than you can play in your lifetime.

I don't have a problem with them, Hell, I even bought a Move. Mostly at this point im' just depressed at the lack of creativity shown in motion gaming overall. Im' really starting to doubt whether there are any really good applications for it with the current level of tech available.

sangreal

marc^o^ said:

Wiimotes probably have a higher attach rate than the Kinect too. Who cares? If you want to compare the appeal of the Move to PS3 users versus the appeal of Kinect to 360 users you should not count multiple move controllers.

gcubed

Shogun PaiN said:
Yeah sold to consumers would be pretty mind blowing but it just doesn't add up especially as they aren't counting each individual item. It's hard to say if Move is doing well at all without knowing how many have been sold at retail instead of to retail. A few people in this thread seem to misunderstand this though.

Jesus H Christ... you're an embarrassment

Elios83

Impressive number but the biggest news out of this is that with Move controller they don't include bundles, Navigation Controller and Eye Toy (this one was obvious to me btw).
The challenge for them is the same as Microsoft, keeping the add on relavant by releasing a good stream of titles which take advantage of it next year.
Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3 should provide a good year start.

manueldelalas said:
Sold to retailers, and you can have multiple moves on one system as opposed to only one kinect for one Xbox.

If you want to compare, you should compare Eye Camera vs Kinect sold to consumers.

There really is no way to properly compare the two since as noted multiple move controllers can go with one system compared to one Kinect needed per system. The playstation eye also is not really a good method of comparison either since the thing has been sold for years now and bundled in various manners.

Elios83 said:
Impressive number but the biggest news out of this is that with Move controller they don't include bundles, Navigation Controller and Eye Toy (this one was obvious to me btw).

Eh? It doesn't say it's not counting bundles.

Banned
marc^o^ said:

Shipped vs Sold
One unit per consumer vs multiple units per consumer
19 Days in Europe vs 76 Days
26 Days in North America vs 72 Days

Besides that you were right.

Loudninja

Elios83 said:
The challenge for them is the same as Microsoft, keeping the add on relavant by releasing a good stream of titles which take advantage of it next year.
Little Big Planet 2 and Killzone 3 should provide a good year start.
Sorcery might be one of bigger games really cant wait to see it again.

iammeiam said:
NOt quite; they've sold 4.1 million things containing a Move wand. Console bundle, Move bundle, standalone, whatever.

The 4.1 mill does not include Move products that don't include a wand (so just the Eye or just the nunchuck)

Ahhh makes more sense, i was going to say that wouldve been an insane number if that was the case.:lol

Carl

manueldelalas said:

because something that has been on sale for 3 years would make a totally fair comparison

Karma said:
Shipped vs Sold
One unit per consumer vs multiple units per consumer
19 Days in Europe vs 76 Days
26 Days in North America vs 72 Days

Besides that you were right.

Sod all marketing budget Vs Half a billion dollars.

I think Sony are doing exceptionally well with an average retail line up and sod all marketing.

ShogunX

gcubed said:
Jesus H Christ... you're an embarrassment

huh? How? It's entirely plausible seeing as a few weeks back we had a Sony PR release telling us they had shipped 2.5 million PlayStation Move controllers. Like I said it's hard to say how well Move is actually selling on shipped numbers alone.

FrankT

Shogun PaiN said:

Well it all boils down to sale through. We know Japan hasn't really been hit. We also know that as of the end of October in the US best estimate of actual sale through is 400k or so. So take that 4.1-400k and that leaves 3.7 million(3.6 maybe with Japan..not sure) for November US and Europe since launch. Perhaps we will get an updated sale through figure post Nov NPD. Seems like it maybe a hit in Europe not as much in the US. Perhaps the opposite of Kinect at this point.

Travado

Ezduo said:
Hahahaha, the future of gaming is here. This shit is going to be standard issue next gen.

I am out...

If this shit will be standard, I am ready to go into PC gaming only. Fuck this shit!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It always surprises me that threads like this require pages of clarification. At least, it surprises me when the info in the OP is so clear. And of course, the qualification that it's sold to retail goes without saying...or should do.

How anyone can read from it that it's just bundles, or is 4.1m consumers, or is sold to consumers, or whatever... is beyond me. It's very clear what the statement is saying.

Top Bottom