• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-loaded copies of Paper Mario Color Splash can be played right now.

That's not fair. One of the key features (at least artistically) of the Wii U is how it can ask the player to navigate that uncomfortable space between the TV and the GamePad screen. This is best summed up in this excellent post analysing the system:

Sticker Star isn't turn-based, and you can definitely argue that playing your cards from an actual deck, in your hands, gives the battles a sense of "being there" or place, much like how the Prepper Pad did in ZombiU, or the GamePad map does in Xenoblade X.

Star Fox Zero's issues aren't solely caused by the fact you have to keep an eye on both screens, basically.

Interesting write-up, but going to have to vehemently disagree with it. Seems like an overly forced way to flower up what is seen as one of the biggest issues with the Wii U gamepad.

That kind of analysis works perfectly with the Wii; the Wii remote, (in theory, at least) allowed players to feel more "in the moment" by having the remote mimic their hand movements, allowing for a more "present" interaction with the game. The satisfaction of swinging the remote was immediate and obvious. And it felt like a natural extension of a person's movement and actions when playing a game.

It's much harder to apply that analysis to something that intrinsically slows down a player's actions and adds to the things a player must keep track of just to perform a basic game function. Furthermore, I highly doubt Nintendo's intention was to create an additional obstacle to overcome by learning to navigate the uncomfortable and unnatural feeling of looking at two screens at once. That seems to be in direct conflict with their key mantra of making gaming easier and seamless to get into.

I'm sure the potential is (was) there with the gamepad to create a rather immersive experience by utilizing and taking advantage of that extra anxiety a player feels by having to look down at the gamepad. ZombiU seems to have touched on it (I haven't played it). But projecting that onto the system as a whole as a deliberate and artistic design choice to make playing a game feel more unnatural is very reaching and, as I already said, completely backwards to Nintendo's logic.

udivision

What the fuck....

Damage numbers are gone?

How did I miss this???

You can see how much enemies damage you, but when you attack them no numbers pop up. You have to pay attention to how much of the ink of their sprite is drained.

Should you power up your Hammer Card by painting it, or will a perfectly timed Spring Jump Card seal the deal with less paint? Well... who really knows?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Reminds me of Super Mario World and 3D World for some reason.

I can't wait for this game! I saw Gamexplains discussion and they said this game is beautiful and the music is amazing! Also, they've shown so much variety in the worlds.

I definitely agree with Gamexplain on those points. Even despite my qualms with the battle system (tedious, boring), if I had to describe the game to this point in one word, it would be 'charming'.

Mory Dunz

You can see how much enemies damage you, but when you attack them no numbers pop up. You have to pay attention to how much of the ink of their sprite is drained.

Should you power up your Hammer Card by painting it, or will a perfectly timed Spring Jump Card seal the deal with less paint? Well... who really knows?

omggg soo funn

At the same time, paint powers cards a lot. So how much damage you can deal isn't a problem, and previewers have actually complained about how easy the game is. It probably gets more challenging if you're using unpainted cards though, since they deal much less damage and if you don't have an idea of what effect they'll do, it's basically a shot in the dark.

Biske

Can anyone else confirm this? If the option is gone, I'll update the OP. (I'm in Europe where nothing this cool ever happens, so can't check myself.)

If only I would have woke up sooner...

The ad on the eshop still talks about preloading, and when you click to the game page, there is the paragraph about clicking purchase and blah blah, but the only option you have is add to wish list

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's not fair. One of the key features (at least artistically) of the Wii U is how it can ask the player to navigate that uncomfortable space between the TV and the GamePad screen. This is best summed up in this excellent post analysing the system:

Sticker Star isn't turn-based, and you can definitely argue that playing your cards from an actual deck, in your hands, gives the battles a sense of "being there" or place, much like how the Prepper Pad did in ZombiU, or the GamePad map does in Xenoblade X.

Star Fox Zero's issues aren't solely caused by the fact you have to keep an eye on both screens, basically.

Nintendo has always been about making gaming accessible to all. Star Fox's controls did the exact opposite. You basically argued for something that isn't necessary. Thankfully, in this game (as opposed to Star Fox)...
Go into options. There you can change the controls to touch and buttons. Makes the battles way faster. You also don't have to colour every card before using them, but it makes the attacks stronger.

They give you the option to not play that way. I'll probably use the original method they give, but I'm glad they included the simpler option.

I definitely agree with Gamexplain on those points. Even despite my qualms with the battle system (tedious, boring), if I had to describe the game to this point in one word, it would be 'charming'.
So... literally Sticker Star again. Fair enough.

I hope it drops in price quick, I'll happily pick up Sticker Star 2 for $20 but not a penny more.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
At the same time, paint powers cards a lot. So how much damage you can deal isn't a problem, and previewers have actually complained about how easy the game is. It probably gets more challenging if you're using unpainted cards though, since they deal much less damage and if you don't have an idea of what effect they'll do, it's basically a shot in the dark.

I'm only a bit of the way into the second area but I concur with this so far. I'm also not sure what the point of battling is, really. I feel like I could just walk on through these levels to the end and get about the same out of the game as I would if I stopped for all the battles. I'm sure they'll introduce meaning to it at some point but, right now, it seems a bit like a chore.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
If only I would have woke up sooner...

The ad on the eshop still talks about preloading, and when you click to the game page, there is the paragraph about clicking purchase and blah blah, but the only option you have is add to wish list

Thanks. Added info to OP.

I'm only a bit of the way into the second area but I concur with this so far. I'm also not sure what the point of battling is, really. I feel like I could just walk on through these levels to the end and get about the same out of the game as I would if I stopped for all the battles. I'm sure they'll introduce meaning to it at some point but, right now, it seems a bit like a chore.

Ah goddamit, not again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yep, Sticker Star 2.0. At least the writing is good.

SuperSah

Banned

oh boy

udivision

Considering you didn't play Sticker Star... it's not encouraging you came to that conclusion too...

Interesting.

So... literally Sticker Star again. Fair enough.

I hope it drops in price quick, I'll happily pick up Sticker Star 2 for $20 but not a penny more.

Good luck waiting. At best, in a year, you'll be able to use 100 gold coins on MyNintendo for 5% off the still $60 price tag.

Are the battles...fun?

Plinko

Good luck waiting. At best, in a year, you'll be able to use 100 gold coins on MyNintendo for 5% off the still $60 price tag.

Sticker Star for 3DS dropped to ridiculously low levels within months. It was readily available for under $10 for quite some time.

nynt9

Seems like battling is a waste of time to pad game length again then? Why are Nintendo so intent on driving their smaller franchises to the ground? Who thought "let's double down on Sticker Star" after the reception was a good idea? Are they completely unaware of any of the conversation surrounding their games?

finalflame

Gold Member
Shit, so we're gonna get some early impressions?! Can't wait!

I would've had to have been up at roughly 4am to have been able to get in on this, so not super upset I wasn't able to :p

JustenP88

Are the battles...fun?

That is not a word I'd use to describe them, no. I think I've only had 2-3 battles that have required a second turn. It's been very much "press button to win" so far. Except that should be buttonS plural. Very plural.

Keep in mind, I've just made it through the first two levels so far. About to start the third.

AdanVC

Aww mann! I came too late :( I would have bought it in a heartbeat! I want to play this game really bad. Geez. Oh well, looking forward to read impressions from those who got lucky to download it!

:D

Wii U disconnected from the internet. Spotpass also off.

My wife adores Paper Mario (including Sticker Star) and she doesnt know yet this game exists. I was planning to surprise her on October 7th. Now I can surprise her tonight instead!

Hell yeah, Max! Congrats! So very lookiing forward to your impressions. I don't have high expectations with this game. If it is charm, has good music and it's hilarious as past PM games, then it'll be enough to me :)

TLZ

Banned
:D

Wii U disconnected from the internet. Spotpass also off.

My wife adores Paper Mario (including Sticker Star) and she doesnt know yet this game exists. I was planning to surprise her on October 7th. Now I can surprise her tonight instead!

Ooo you getting some action tonight ;)

Nintendo has always been about making gaming accessible to all. Star Fox's controls did the exact opposite. You basically argued for something that isn't necessary. Thankfully, in this game (as opposed to Star Fox)...

They give you the option to not play that way. I'll probably use the original method they give, but I'm glad they included the simpler option.

Yeah, I get that and I actually agree with it. But that's the point, with the Wii U Nintendo basically said stuff it and did what it wanted, and that has soul of its own and artistic value. It's something worth appreciating even if you don't personally like it, is what I was trying to get across. Even if it isn't better than what came before it (ZombiU, Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land are three very great games at least)

Interesting write-up, but going to have to vehemently disagree with it. Seems like an overly forced way to flower up what is seen as one of the biggest issues with the Wii U gamepad.

That kind of analysis works perfectly with the Wii; the Wii remote, (in theory, at least) allowed players to feel more "in the moment" by having the remote mimic their hand movements, allowing for a more "present" interaction with the game. The satisfaction of swinging the remote was immediate and obvious. And it felt like a natural extension of a person's movement and actions when playing a game.

It's much harder to apply that analysis to something that intrinsically slows down a player's actions and adds to the things a player must keep track of just to perform a basic game function. Furthermore, I highly doubt Nintendo's intention was to create an additional obstacle to overcome by learning to navigate the uncomfortable and unnatural feeling of looking at two screens at once. That seems to be in direct conflict with their key mantra of making gaming easier and seamless to get into.

I'm sure the potential is (was) there with the gamepad to create a rather immersive experience by utilizing and taking advantage of that extra anxiety a player feels by having to look down at the gamepad. ZombiU seems to have touched on it (I haven't played it). But projecting that onto the system as a whole as a deliberate and artistic design choice to make playing a game feel more unnatural is very reaching and, as I already said, completely backwards to Nintendo's logic.

You're very likely right that those qualities of the Wii U weren't a direct intended by Nintendo. I mean, it makes sense that the launch games the piece touches upon would, since that's a period where Nintendo communicates the hardware and devs try and get the most out of it (ZombiU, NFS: Most Wanted U, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land).

Given Paper Mario: CS is a late-gen title where the Wii U no longer stands for what it did in 2012, the same logic that applied to those launch titles may very well be on shaky ground.

JustenP88

A bit into level 3 now. A couple new mechanics have been introduced. Noticing my card count getting lower, battles going a bit deeper, needing to keep an eye on HP for the first time. It's starting to feel a bit more 'game-y' if that makes sense.

Want to give another shout out to the presentation/writing. Everything looks great and the dialogue is appropriately goofy and has given me a few giggles so far.

I like how the world is shaped like a giant paint brush :)

Whooooa good catch.

TrueBlue

I was under the impression battles increased your paint meter or something?

Hopefully the game isn't so easy that even upgrading that is unnecessary.

A bit into level 3 now. A couple new mechanics have been introduced. Noticing my card count getting lower, battles going a bit deeper, needing to keep an eye on HP for the first time. It's starting to feel a bit more 'game-y' if that makes sense.

Want to give another shout out to the presentation/writing. Everything looks great and the dialogue is appropriately goofy and has given me a few giggles so far.

Good, good.

AdanVC

Whooooa good catch.

This gives me a bit of hope. But still, kinda dissapointed to read that battles in here don't matter that much that you can literally rush through the levels without the need of battling : / How's the soundtrack?? :D

Fewr

Im glad this happened, and im also glad those fan games earlier this year came out. Nintendo as a company has been trying way too hard to remain secular from the rest of the games industry as of late, and im hoping all of this "loss of control" basically will give them a swift kick to the ass going forward.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. Care to elaborate?

Top Bottom