• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-loaded copies of Paper Mario Color Splash can be played right now.

Yukinari

Are the tutorials at least not Dream Team level of obnoxious?

Paper Jam gave you tutorials but let you skip them all because you already know how to play this series.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Paper Jam gave you tutorials but let you skip them all because you already know how to play this series.

Nowhere near as bad as Dream Team. They haven't stood out too much. Usually pretty quick and to the point.

Simbabbad

A bit into level 3 now. A couple new mechanics have been introduced. Noticing my card count getting lower, battles going a bit deeper, needing to keep an eye on HP for the first time. It's starting to feel a bit more 'game-y' if that makes sense.
It's basically the usual evolution of Paper Mario then, the beginning is always very easy.

maxcriden

Dream Team had an unenviable task of introducing several differently controlled game mechanics in the first 8-10 hours of the game. If Paper Jam had a Bowser or Luigi world, I suspect it too would have had many more tutorials. What I will gladly agree with though is more non-Dreamy Luigi tutorials should have been skippable and the >> button in Paper Jam is an amazing addition. :)

Mory Dunz

PM has never had a problem with tutorials iirc...

There might be some confusion about the two franchises.
SPM did have complaints about too much text though.

oti

Banned
Nintendo has always been about making gaming accessible to all. Star Fox's controls did the exact opposite. You basically argued for something that isn't necessary. Thankfully, in this game (as opposed to Star Fox)...

They give you the option to not play that way. I'll probably use the original method they give, but I'm glad they included the simpler option.

You'll switch eventually. Trust me.

Oh, sweet. Thanks oti!

No prob. In case you're stuck somewhere just drop me a PM. There are some tricky parts in there, we need each other. 😄

Is there a particular reason why SS dropped in price so quickly and drastically? I mean, obviously it had a very mixed reception but it sold pretty well, didn't it? Really the only other Nintendo game that had a similar drop was Other M, but that game had poor sales to go along with its bad reputation.

Really the only thing I can think of is that bad word of mouth brought a steep decline to SS's sales, and that most of it was all front-loaded.

Is there a particular reason why SS dropped in price so quickly and drastically? I mean, obviously it had a very mixed reception but it sold pretty well, didn't it? Really the only other Nintendo game that had a similar drop was Other M, but that game had poor sales to go along with its bad reputation.

Really the only thing I can think of is that bad word of mouth brought a steep decline to SS's sales, and that most of it was all front-loaded.
Yeah sold great initially because install base and brand popularity, word of mouth shit on the games longevity.

Yeah sold great initially because install base and brand popularity, word of mouth shit on the games longevity.

Ah, ok.

It's interesting cause I've noticed some people defend Nintendo's decisions with the PM series based on SS's good sales, but really that steep decline should have been cause for concern for them.

maxcriden

No prob. In case you're stuck somewhere just drop me a PM. There are some tricky parts in there, we need each other. 😄

Will do, thanks oti!

I'm not sure what the pattern was with sales, but perhaps you're onto something. If so, it is the first thing Paper Mario has in common with No Man's Sky.

fernoca

Keep in mind that the drop was across some retailers and prices varied. Didn't happened at once across all retailers.

If anything shipments were a bit too high, and they looked for ways to sell quickly. If demand is not there, they have to create demand basically.

Smash on Wii U was another game that was overshipped, but that one contines to sell. So it rarely has been on sales.

Other M was another case on which high shipments and lower than expected sakes, caused price reductions relatively soon. But in this cases sales barely moved inventory.

Then again, Metroid was already on sales decline bybl the release of Other M, so price reductions and sales can't just be pointed to the word of mouth. Sticker Star at least moved inventory and it ended been one of the top seling PM games.

maxcriden

Yup!
Presentation il GREAT but it start slowly (as usual )

Can't wait :D

I'm psyched, my N64 from NOLA_Gaffer also came today, and these rare specialty four-different-airports-only Kit Kats finally came also (kit kats are my wife's fave), and Olimar & co. arrived in amiibo form yesterday... so it's like Christmas in September today, and she doesn't know any of this stuff is here. Just that I'm in a really good mood despite working an 11 hour day :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm only a bit of the way into the second area but I concur with this so far. I'm also not sure what the point of battling is, really. I feel like I could just walk on through these levels to the end and get about the same out of the game as I would if I stopped for all the battles. I'm sure they'll introduce meaning to it at some point but, right now, it seems a bit like a chore.

Damnit, not again.

hatchx

Banned
I'm only a bit of the way into the second area but I concur with this so far. I'm also not sure what the point of battling is, really. I feel like I could just walk on through these levels to the end and get about the same out of the game as I would if I stopped for all the battles. I'm sure they'll introduce meaning to it at some point but, right now, it seems a bit like a chore.

That's all I needed to hear. Easy skip for me.

Maybe when this game bombs Nintendo will listen to fans on the next Paper Mario. A TTYD HD remaster would have been more appreciated and sold better than this.

What a waste of a beautiful art style too.

Yes, I'm bitter.

AdanVC

God I hope so! This is my FAVORITE Mario song ever and this remix is crazy good and catchy.

Also I'm listening to the soundtrack that is up on Youtube and wtf
Why is the Mario Kart 8 theme song as part of the soundtrack of this game
??

Not a whole lot of music has been uploaded so there's a pretty good chance there's some good stuff that just hasn't been uploaded.

Let's hope so! Been listening to some jams and so far they are really good!

chrono01

I'm happy this pre-loaded thing happened, so I can get GAF impressions and decide whether to keep my pre-order or not. The game isn't cheap, it's $74.99 here in Canada...

Krammy

Maybe when this game bombs Nintendo will listen to fans on the next Paper Mario. A TTYD HD remaster would have been more appreciated and sold better than this.

Yes, I'm bitter.

Haven't the non-RPG Paper Mario's been selling better?

2001 | Nintendo 64 | Paper Mario | 1.37m
2004 | GameCube | Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door | 1.91m
2007 | Wii | Super Paper Mario | 4.23m
2012 | Nintendo 3DS | Paper Mario: Sticker Star | 2.21m

I mean, I'm just as bitter as you and I'd love nothing more than to see a clear message sent that people want Paper Mario RPG's back, but given the things I've read around GAF of the series post-RPG elements, that seems like a pipe dream.

On-topic, I've been checking out the OST and it seems to be pretty comparable to Star Sticker in that I love the boss battles, but everything else feels pretty average.

Mory Dunz

Wait? The whole Soundtack is up on youtube??

Effff, time to listen.

Yes, I'm hyped for the soundtrack and not the game. Hope the music is top tier

I mean, I'm just as bitter as you and I'd love nothing more than to see a clear message sent that people want Paper Mario RPG's back, but given the things I've read around GAF of the series post-RPG elements, that seems like a pipe dream.

On-topic, I've been checking out the OST and it seems to be pretty comparable to Star Sticker in that I love the boss battles, but everything else feels pretty average.
Paper Mario was at the end of the 64's life, TTYD was stuck on the gamecube, SPM was on one of the highest selling consoles ever, and SS was on a then content starved system, and at first glance looked amazing.

We need a new RPG on a system with comparable numbers to the 3DS to really know if Paper Mario RPGs actually sell less.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member

Consider the contexts here. Wii and 3DS were both significantly more successful platforms than N64 and Gamecube. A "classic" styled game with Mario's name on it early on in the Wii's lifespan when it was a cultural phenomenon? Of course it sold really well. If anything these sales figures reflect more poorly on Sticker Star, considering it almost immediately got heavy discounts (which never happened for PM or TTYD, and which took many years for SPM) and it dropped around half of its predecessor's audience despite 3DS being at the point where it was doing well.

Basically it'd reflect poorly on the franchise as a whole if it didn't sell better on the Wii and 3DS. Considering the negative reception of Sticker Star and the Wii U's tiny install base, Color Splash is pretty much going to have to ride on being one of the only new games for Wii U this year to really get any sales. That's about the only chance it has at selling well, because it's certainly not gonna set the world on fire based on demand.

Mory Dunz

3DS and Wii vs N64 and GC.

If anything, SS maybe should've sold a bit more imo. Came out in Dec '12 and came out before Dream Team. Not that it deserves it. >_>

but wut at the OST comment.
Sticker Star's OST is amazing. It's the only compliment I give the game. If someone doesn't like jazzy tunes, then that'd be an excuse to dislike it though.

Regarding SS legs:
By Dec 30, 2012:
1.83m

By March 30, 2013
1.97m

And we know it's around 2.21m?
....but anyway, not sure if that says anything about legs tbh.

Paper Mario was at the end of the 64's life, TTYD was stuck on the gamecube, SPM was on one of the highest selling consoles ever, and SS was on a then content starved system, and at first glance looked amazing.

We need a new RPG on a system with comparable numbers to the 3DS to really know if Paper Mario RPGs actually sell less.

If M&L keeps doing whatever mediocrity they're doing, a new Paper Mario RPG must just sell less. Poisoning the well and all...

RagnarokX

Honestly that pretty much describes every Paper Mario. It never was deep with the mechanics. Just pick the right attacks for the enemy you're facing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Yes, I'm bitter.

Because yes, what we needed was a game re-released instead of an all-new game.

RagnarokX

at least we were rewarded for it
In PM and TTYD you got experience. In CS you get points to upgrade your paint stats and more powerful cards. The fodder battles have never been very rewarding apart from getting the battle out of the way so you can explore the levels and they serve more to drain your resources.

Mory Dunz

upgrade cards, paint stats, and you don't get numbers to know how much you're moves are hurting. Just eyeball paint levels

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

great design.

"Do I use this jump or this hammer? How much did it do last time? Hm, maybe about a...4th of a...goomba? But how much will that translate to against a parakoopa? If 1/6 of a koopa is like 1/3 of a goomba, how much paint will come from effin chicago if it leaves at the same time?"

Mory Dunz

HOLY SHIT THE
RAINBOW ROAD 64
REMIX AAAAAAAH

It was pretty good. Listening to World Map Medley right now, which is good. Edit: World Map Medley is prob my favorite so far. Still have about 13 to go of the 22.

Overall, I can't put it above any other PM soundtrack so far....

edit:
Roy's song is good.

Top Bottom