• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-loaded copies of Paper Mario Color Splash can be played right now.

Mory Dunz

lol at Thief Shy Guy.
Most creative song so far. You can tell it's good if a song can give you a clear visual picture of characters/location with no words.

AdanVC

Seriously I'm still salty that I missed the chance to download the game today. I'm so hyped to play this IDGAF if it ends up being Sticker Star 2.0! D:

Gamexplain is streaming the game right now. As someone that hates Sticker Star I must say that this seems to be a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0hWK_tJ-wQ

Aw man I came too late, stream just finished. Seems they are under embargo. I thought they were going to show everythingggggg hah. Thank goodness for rewind stream feature!

Edit: Watching through the stream and Andre says he is enjoying this game way more than Sticker Star at the same lapse of playthrough. That also gives me hope. Dialog, music, graphics, all of that is on point so far. Looking forward to more impressions from you guys who download it early!

Edit 2: Man it really seems that battling in this game is so damn useless and can get a bit annoying sometimes when you accidentally touch an enemy. This could have been GOTY material if IS simply went full action/adventure without those RPG elements that doesn't enhance gameplay from what I've seen/read so far. Ok I will stop with edits now.

Pokemaniac

Ah, ok.

It's interesting cause I've noticed some people defend Nintendo's decisions with the PM series based on SS's good sales, but really that steep decline should have been cause for concern for them.

That never made any sense anyway since the top seller of the franchise is actually Super Paper Mario by a pretty large margin. Sticker Star only managed just a bit more than TTYD.

Oh my god this last battle, haha. Background slowly pans over to reveal a colorless toad being sucked by a worm-like shy-guy crawling in the ground, he slowly crawls up to you while you can't run away, horror music starts to build up in the background, hammers and jumps don't seem to be working, the Koopa Partner reflects on the wall on the back of the stage to reflect the overworld... that was so goddamn hilarious and creepy at the same time. Dropped out the first "big EXP" pick-up as well, it was a straight-up odd encounter.

Also the music when using the plunger was fantastic. This game is hilarious, holy shit.
"It's a bridge - get over it"

Kinsei

Banned
Seriously I'm still salty that I missed the chance to download the game today. I'm so hyped to play this IDGAF if it ends up being Sticker Star 2.0! D:

Aw man I came too late, stream just finished. Seems they are under embargo. I thought they were going to show everythingggggg hah. Thank goodness for rewind stream feature!

Edit: Watching through the stream and Andre says he is enjoying this game way more than Sticker Star at the same lapse of playthrough. That also gives me hope. Dialog, music, graphics, all of that is on point so far. Looking forward to more impressions from you guys who download it early!

Edit 2: Man it really seems that battling in this game is so damn useless and can get a bit annoying sometimes when you accidentally touch an enemy. This could have been GOTY material if IS simply went full action/adventure without those RPG elements that doesn't enhance gameplay from what I've seen/read so far. Ok I will stop with edits now.

In regards to your second edit, I wouldn't be so sure. The game records how many white spots you've filled in with color so if you're a completionist like me I can see the paint capacity upgrades you get from battling being very useful.

That never made any sense anyway since the top seller of the franchise is actually Super Paper Mario by a pretty large margin. Sticker Star only managed just a bit more than TTYD.

Also, wasn't SS heavily discounted at one point? Someone mentioned that retailers were practically giving copies away.

:D

Wii U disconnected from the internet. Spotpass also off.

My wife adores Paper Mario (including Sticker Star) and she doesnt know yet this game exists. I was planning to surprise her on October 7th. Now I can surprise her tonight instead!

Reminds me of my youth and my parents gave me The Wind Waker when I didn't even know there was a new Zelda game (Having no internet and living in the sticks will do that to you)

Best. Christmas. Ever.

Oh my god this last battle, haha. Background slowly pans over to reveal a colorless toad being sucked by a worm-like shy-guy crawling in the ground, he slowly crawls up to you while you can't run away, horror music starts to build up in the background, hammers and jumps don't seem to be working, the Koopa Partner reflects on the wall on the back of the stage to reflect the overworld... that was so goddamn hilarious and creepy at the same time. Dropped out the first "big EXP" pick-up as well, it was a straight-up odd encounter.

Also the music when using the plunger was fantastic. This game is hilarious, holy shit.
"It's a bridge - get over it"

I only caught the plunger bit myself, but yeah it was definitely something. I'm glad to see they're making the best out of the fairly stock cast, the humor definitely seems a bit off the wall in a good way.

oti

Banned
upgrade cards, paint stats, and you don't get numbers to know how much you're moves are hurting. Just eyeball paint levels

¯_(ツ)_/¯

great design.

"Do I use this jump or this hammer? How much did it do last time? Hm, maybe about a...4th of a...goomba? But how much will that translate to against a parakoopa? If 1/6 of a koopa is like 1/3 of a goomba, how much paint will come from effin chicago if it leaves at the same time?"

Dude, the game you're looking for is not here. That's ok. I don't want what you're describing.

Debirudog

I get the feeling the new team simply don't know how to make an RPG system at all. They're better off making a full adventure puzzle game. A complete genre change is fine for me as long as the quality is good.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Everything about this game is amazing.

Except for the gameplay. This irritates me so much.

Like either go full RPG or Full Action Adventure, not this half-assed card rpg.

There's a way to know what items you'll need going into an area, btw, so you don't have to worry about getting to a boss without a particular thing, apparently.

There's a way to know what items you'll need going into an area, btw, so you don't have to worry about getting to a boss without a particular thing, apparently.

Not the case. I'm stuck as hell because I can't find a particular item that I need to defeat a boss.

If there is anybody that is pretty far in the game right now, shoot me a PM. I could use a little help.

Not the case. I'm stuck as hell because I can't find a particular item that I need to defeat a boss.

If there is anybody that is pretty far in the game right now, shoot me a PM. I could use a little help.

When entering the tower the game outright tells you to go to the Trash Toad in town to tell you what you need, no? I assume he should have the info you need.

Penguin

About 5 hours into the game, and not sure if it will convert those who really hated Sticker Star, but if you thought the core idea had some potential feel like this does its best to live up to it so far.

Really digging the game, I think tying your paint meter progress to battles helps with one of SS' biggest flaw which was making most battles meaningless. Like who knows maybe get enough upgrades through the course of the game that it would all be for naught, but for now it works enough for me.

As far as I can tell there's no card management either so don't need to make sure you have enough room for all the different types of stickers.

Though shares the same odd design in being able to run out of your basic attacks, which I till think is weird. Though they help that a bit with the Battle Spinner which allows you to get random cards during battle for a price.

I think most are already sold on the presentation so don't need to harp on that. Writing is as funny and sharp as ever. Some really good music.

TheJoRu

Good to hear some positive impressions. Enjoyed that Crunchii 5 hour stream a lot, the game has charm aplenty. It's outside of my gaming budget, but I'll look out for it if it ever gets cheaper/becomes part of Nintendo Selects or something.

mrhej

In the second world now since I managed to preload the game before I went to work yesterday.

As someone who loves TTYD and really didn't like sticker star, I do like this game and where it's going. I'm in the first area of the second world so who knows, it might suck later. It's also really funny.

Also a sleeping toad mention he saw a guy named Wart in his dream, so that's his first in game mention in years?

Jebusman

Banned
Good news, NWPlayer123 just uploaded the Color Splash ROM Dump.

Won't link directly to the file since it's a torrent but I will be uploading it to MEGA once I download the file.

I mean, you have how many posts on this site and in all that time didn't clue in that this isn't the place to discuss this.

At all.

Mory Dunz

Of the uploaded songs, OST is good so far. In addition to the ones I mentioned before, I also like "Credits", "Port Prisma", "Farewell", "Cherry Lake" and some others.

Problems that I have are the remixes.
First, I'm wondering if there are too many. But some have been pretty interesting choices like SMB2 theme, SML ending theme.

But then there's remixes of SMB3 Airship (of course), SMB Underground (of course, but this is actually pretty decent), Rainbow Road 64.

The main issue is all of the Sticker Star Remixes. There's already at least like 6-7 of the 32 songs I've heard. Why not do some TTYD, SPM, 64 remixes??

Songs from Sticker Star
"Bower's Theme"
"Kamek"
"Toad Disco" feels like a stripped down version of Boo Night Fever so dunno what's going on there...
"Intermission"
"Colorless Port Prisma" is a remix of Detective Mario

And maybe a couple more in the Medleys.
That's too much Sticker Star (or songs from any one game.) in 32 songs.

Reusing Bowser's Theme is probably the biggest offender. He always gets new themes in RPGs. That's lame, even if the song is good.

WillyFive

Paper Mario 64 is the only Paper Mario that had really outstanding music to me. Any reason why this game has so many remixes? It feels like a Mario and Sonic Olympic game.

Mory Dunz

TTYD or Sticker Star might be my favorite OST.

I like all of them.

But TTYD had a good mix of Mario sounding stuff, but also a lot of diversity a varied sounds with stuff like X-Nauts Base, Doopliss, Rogueport, eight-key something, etc. 64's was good, but I feel TTYD took more risks and had a more varied sound.

Then Sticker Star just cause the songs are plain good. Though if someone doesn't like a the sax, they will prob hate it.

The issue with CS using so many Sticker Star songs is that Sticker Star was extremely jazzy. Whereas CS isn't, it's more....well not jazzy.

So you have these Sticker Star songs in CS that seem a bit out of place like Bowser's theme, because there's no Jazz-centric theme established...

I mean, the impressions from people sound pretty good but let's also take some perspective with it:

The game accidentally dropped for those who pre-ordered and pre-loaded it. As in it unlocked for people who were so interested in it that they bought it ahead of time and downloaded it so they didn't have to DL it on launch day and wait to play it.

I'm not discounting people's opinions, but I do think people should read impressions with a little grain of salt considering the fact that it comes from people who were already excited about it to begin with.

There are certainly a lot of aspects of it that sound better than what I was afraid it would be like thus far as the humor seems to be top notch.

So is this game Sticker Star level trash or actually good? I want to love it, the visuals look fantastic and the music in the trailer sounded amazing.

Zubz

Banned
So is this game Sticker Star level trash or actually good? I want to love it, the visuals look fantastic and the music in the trailer sounded amazing.

I'm kind of curious myself. The impression that I'm getting is that it's explicitly Sticker Star 2, but isn't as bad due to the game having good atmosphere beyond just throwing good music over the most generic Mario levels available.

But people that never even glanced at Sticker Star are still coming to some of the same conclusions (Such as battles not even being worth the time), so...

Top Bottom