• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the lifetime sales of the PS5 consoles

Predict the lifetime sales

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Includes the PS5 disc and digital editions and potential mid-gen upgrades.

Previous and current gen sales to date:

PS1: 102.5 million
PS2: 155+ million
PS3: 88+ million
PS4: 112 million

This is a companion thread to the Xbox prediction thread

DESTROYA

tUWIgiL.gif

McHuj

80-100M. I think MS will pickup some users this gen at the expense of Sony, but it won't be enough to unseat Sony.

I think it will depend a bit how long this gen will run/is planned to be. Iirc the roundabout estimate is 5 years, so something roundabout a 100 million might be what it turns out be. It can be less, because the economy is hit on a global scale, cuh da rona. But could be more because everybody is at home and need something to do and stay sane cuh da rona.

Celcius

°Temp. member
160m+
They're going to sell as many as they can make, especially given the pandemic going on.
The $400 price point of the digital model is amazing for what you get.

Rubik8

80-100M. I think MS will pickup some users this gen at the expense of Sony, but it won't be enough to unseat Sony.
I think MS will get more PS players to buy an Xbox as a secondary console, but not at the expense of PS5 console sales. In two or three years, I think their will be a very compelling case to own both.

Jadsey

Gonna certainly be 120m+.....that’s a given.

And if Phil is still somehow in charge at Xbox?....200m+ is possible.

Birdo

Banned
Around the same as PS4, I guess.

We'll never see PS2 numbers again. It was just a different time.

Less than 100m, but more than Ps3, because the gaming market is just bigger today.
But the console is huge, expensive and has extremely strong competition from Microsoft, Nintendo and PC.
Die shrinks are hard and expensive to come by, so a big Slim Model refresh won't boost as much and / or will take more years before hitting the market.

skit_data

Console wars aside, it's crazy to believe that the PS5 will sell as much as the PS4.
When PS4 was released Nintendo shot their own foot with the WiiU and Microsoft did the same with the Xbox One + Kinect.

This gen Microsoft is doing things right, and Nintendo has the Switch and is planning some sort of Pro version.
PS5 will likely do very well in sales, but there's no way it'll sell as much as the PS4 as consumers have options now.
Altough i agree with the playingfield being more even this time around, one also has to take into consideration that gaming as a phenomenon has grown and the customer base will encompss a larger amount of people as well.

Console wars aside, it's crazy to believe that the PS5 will sell as much as the PS4.
When PS4 was released Nintendo shot their own foot with the WiiU and Microsoft did the same with the Xbox One + Kinect.

This gen Microsoft is doing things right, and Nintendo has the Switch and is planning some sort of Pro version.
PS5 will likely do very well in sales, but there's no way it'll sell as much as the PS4 as consumers have options now.

I was came here to say that I may be the only person who doesn't believe that the PS5 will sell as much as the PS4, and then I saw your post. I completely agree. With Microsoft's Gamepass being so robust, and well received, and Nintendo's Switch family selling through the moon, I just can't see the PS5 selling more than 100 million. 95-98 million at best, and most likely 85 -88 million is my bet.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not gonna touch this one. I don't even know if we'll have the same world in 5 years.

A new tech could come up and disrupt all of these systems in a second, going through them like paper. I won't take a single day for granted.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Its going into the generation in a way better spot than PS4 did And not making the same mistakes as the PS3 so far.

Id say 90-120 Million. Depending on what they do, mistakes, exclusives, how many releases per year, luck with covid.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

We also have to stop thinking that for one platform to have good sales another must suffer.

The Switch didnt stop the PS4 from still breaking sale records after it launched.

Having options dont necessarily mean switching platforms. A Series S and a Switch are both priced as good compliment consoles to PS5 or Series X.

Looking at sales from last gen, either:

There is huge overlap of having multiple consoles;
Some ppl legit didnt get any home console after having the Wii as their main platform. They all went to mobile, then sat out last gen, and are now back with the Switch?

Last edited:

PS5 probably won't quite reach the same numbers as PS4 but I think it will be close. One reason is that Sony exclusives have reached a new level of sales not seen before with some games selling around 20 million copies and there is mainstream demand for those titles that won't just go away. And I expect this to be the longest generation yet so there is more time to sell.

I expect MS to do significantly better this time, but I'm not convinced that it will be at Sony's expense but might instead be a rising tide raising all boats. Nintendo is its own thing anyway so I don't see them having an effect on MS or Sony one way or the other.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The only time Playstation didnt sell 100million+ was when they made a bunch of mistakes with the PS3 like:

- Xbox getting 1 years sale before PS3 released
- Xbox being cheaper
- 360 having a bunch of Playstation centric titles for the first time like Tekken, Final Fantasy, DMC and them doing a great job with titles like Gears, Forza etc
- 360 being mostly better and easier to develop for multiplatform titles
- 360 taking online gaming to the next level and PS3 not being ready for it at the get go
- PS3 not having many great exclusives at the start unlike the PS1 and PS2

And even then they still outsold the 360 With a years less sales.

I doubt Xbox will ever sell more than 60million units again because it won’t have these advantages again and Playstation has mostly been doing well since 2009.
Not saying it will do as well as the PS4 but XBox Series isnt really doing much better than Xbox 1 yet and the commercial market is nowhere as into the Xbox as it was with the 360. Most people don’t know what gamepass is. Whereas the Playstation is hyped atm

Nintendo will always have its market, whether it does bad or good. Its handhelds always do well.

Last edited:
Sony has only had one home console not reach 100 million. Crazy, since Nintendo, Xbox, Sega, etc have had 1 100 million home console seller ever combined.

So, I like their odds to do it again.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

It'll do 100 million units easily. The PS5 is already likely at 6 million units with crappy stock, imagine when the supply increases

Last edited:

You are clearly closed minded or a console warrior. After covid lockdowns, demand for consoles surged, the market is expanding. Ps5 will have at least ps4 sell level.

Varteras

Gold Member
Over 120 million this gen for sure unless Sony screws up somehow. PlayStation 5 is riding in on the wave the PlayStation 4 set with no serious PR issues. Its Year 1 exclusives lineup is already much better and more promising than the PS4 had and Sony's first party has proven itself to be an incredibly safe bet for some of the best games. It has a $400 option that keeps it in line with its predecessor's launch price just in case people aren't willing to swallow down a $500 tag. Its performance is highly competitive to the Xbox Series X and far beyond the Switch. Thanks to DualSense and PSVR, it will be the console with the most immersive experiences. Its global recognition and legacy are powerful as well. It just simply has a ton of momentum and it would take a sudden major disaster or a long series of missteps and failures to keep it from at least matching PS4. I also think there is a possibility we may see it reach for PS2 numbers. Even though I think it will still fall a bit short.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We also have to stop thinking that for one platform to have good sales another must suffer.
Consumers have limited time and money to spend.

They can buy multiple consoles, but the average consumer usually buys only one and sticks with it. Not because of console wars or loyalty, but because the average consumer just wants a videogame to play his favorite games (FIFA, COD, AC, etc).

Nintendo usually sells more regardless, because there are games that you can only find on the Nintendo Switch. Plus, it's less expensive. And it's portable (different audience)

For Playstation and Xbox 95% of the games are also available on the other platform, so people choose based on whichever is cheaper, has the best exclusives or gives less headaches.

Over 100 million easy.

PS4 had largest attach rate of any console. I don't see any reason why PS4 owners won't upgrade to PS5 and carry over their PS4 libraries.

Only problem Sony facing is stock shortages.

Top Bottom