• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Previously Recorded" review The Order 1886

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBE

why was this locked then unlocked?

funny review. felt like they fairly assessed a lot of the games shortcomings

why was this locked then unlocked?

funny review. felt like they fairly assessed a lot of the games shortcomings

yes. and they didn't even mention the game's length either.

the outro of the video made me lol.

lolololqhuig.gif

Toad King

Banned
Gunshot fade to black? GUNSHOT FADE TO BLACK?!

You should have been there for their Twitch stream of it.

"This stream is gonna end with 'Gunshot fade to black'."

Never played The Order, but it really sounds like the push for it to have the best visuals and production values above all else just killed every other aspect of the game. It may look like a true next-gen game but when it improves on literally nothing from the past decade people won't like it.

Toxi

Banned
It still baffles me
they reused the midgame QTE boss fight for the final boss.
It's like The Order was made by aliens with no concept of what makes a final confrontation exciting. You can't try to have a dramatic conclusion when it looks like you're putting little effort into it. It'd be like if Star Wars ended
with reused stock footage from an earlier fight

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Say what you will about Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls, but you can't watch the games on youtube and say you've gotten the full experience of "playing" those games.
No, not really. All the time while I was playing BTS I was either thinking "You have great concepts here, make an actual video game out of this" or "I wish this was a movie so I could at least not confuse myself with nonsensical next-gen analog to pixel hunting".
It's exact same thing. Heard Heavy Rain was better. Maybe it was, but I have no intention on giving it a try after BTS.

Apparently all TO1886 has over that is a standard issue GoW-type shooting.

Acerac

Banned
I got a couple minutes in where they were trying to explain the setting being Steampunk-ish, and I know this isn't for me.

The game could have done a ton more than it did gameplay-wise, but I really enjoyed it. There were so many things about it that were just so good otherwise.

They specifically say that it isn't steampunk though.

markot

Banned
I love these guys. Its the only twitch steam I watch. And the only one I will everrrrr watch.

The melt down is still on their twitch steam for the ending, it was pretty great.

http://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/v/3835355 2hrs 42mins in. You have to try a few times usually cause the audio can get funky.

They destroyed the game cause thats what they do at the ends on their series 'best of the worst' for really bad movies they watch.

Deadbeat

Banned
yes. and they didn't even mention the game's length either.
Thats probably the best thing about it. They ripped it to shreds without even touching the "I rather have a 6 hour fun game than a 20 hour boring game" bullshit defense mechanism that was used for this game's length.

AJ_Wings

"We will not harm innocent men!"

That part was pure gold.

Excellent review, much better than their previous stuff. They should upload the full livestream. Rich's full reaction during the entire credits sequence was just amazing.

Best part of the review is the kill counter after the "not going to kill anyone" scene
Flawless victory, right there.

On the idea that The Order is cynical corporate "art", wouldn't that by-the-numbers third person cover shooter also come with by-the-numbers co-op or by-the-numbers multiplayer versus? Wouldn't it be peppered with microtransactions or companion apps? Or was the original idea something so ambitious that the end result was maybe a third or less of what we were supposed to play? That'd at least explain the incomplete and often contradictory frankenstein of a plot and re-used Lycan... everything.

I'm torn between this being a completely busted labor of art focused on pushing visuals and reproducing film effects and conventions, or a purely cynical collection of things meant to make a buck. Maybe its neither, or both. Or a half-breed of the two.

Exile20

Great review, game looks like shit gameplay and story wise.

Maybe it was unlocked cause the review thread was locked.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did this just get unlocked?
I think whoever locked the thread forgot that there is no review thread for The Order anymore. lol

No, not really. All the time while I was playing BTS I was either thinking "You have great concepts here, make an actual video game out of this" or "I wish this was a movie so I could at least not confuse myself with nonsensical next-gen analog to pixel hunting".
It's exact same thing. Heard Heavy Rain was better. Maybe it was, but I have no intention on giving it a try after BTS.

Apparently all TO1886 has over that is a standard issue GoW-type shooting.
David Cage games have actual branching paths. Which is more than can be said for even the Telltale games. That's just something you can't do on youtube, unless you watch like 10 different playthroughs of the game or something.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
dat ending

But I think they do give it a fair shake compared to some other reviews by focusing on the story. Since the game is clearly meant to be more of a cinematic experience, it's actually pretty damning that the story is so full of plot cliches and bad characterization. Also, didn't MGS3 almost end with a similar cut to black - gunshot? There was a bit more afterwards but that was also pretty bad. Recycling a boss encounter for the final boss that closely has got to be one of the laziest / rushed conclusions to a game I've ever seen, only compounded by the unresolved plot points.
MGS3 has like, twenty more minutes of content after the
gunshot/fade to black scenario
, and that's important because it gives context to the final confrontation of the game. It's nothing at all similar to what was done in The Order.

Reebot

MGS3 has like, twenty more minutes of content after the
gunshot/fade to black scenario
, and that's important because it gives context to the final confrontation of the game. It's nothing at all similar to what was done in The Order.

Yeah, people making that comparison really have no understanding of the trope at play.

Lemme guess: They don't like it. They seem to gravitate toward indie games and Nintendo stuff, and mostly seem to dislike AAA-budget games.

I still love you, Red Letter Media.

Yes, I love RLM but I don't like Previously Recorded at all. They seem to me to be trying too hard to dislike stuff and had some incredibly weird complaints about Alien Isolation, as a recent example I watched.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That is the Plinkett stuff.

THAT deserves its own thread.

Red Letter Media These hack-frauds have their own thread
in the Community No-Man's Land
: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438950

Yes, I love RLM but I don't like Previously Recorded at all. They seem to me to be trying too hard to dislike stuff and had some incredibly weird complaints about Alien Isolation, as a recent example I watched.

There's plenty of videos where they're extremely positive about games.

I think they'd prefer any game interaction that was attached to choice in The Order. They spend multiple minutes discussing this.

It's not a game about making choices. It was never pitched as a game about making choices. It's like complaining your seafood platter tastes of fish or being mad no one would just talk normal at the opera.

As far as testing a player's "skill or attentiveness" how does "press X to continue cutscene" do either in an enjoyable or meaningful way?

I thought we were talking about QTEs. Now it sounds like you're just referring to a contextual interact button. So either you are being obtuse and purposefully mislabeling a very common mechanic dozens of games use for environmental interaction without any outcry, or you're misrepresenting the QTEs that do existing in this game. As for what QTEs can add to a game absent choice, I've already addressed that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah, people making that comparison really have no understanding of the trope at play.
Also, it doesn't actually cut to black. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ MGS4 is the one that does it, and then it goes ahead and
undoes it to further shit on the franchise's legacy, even to the point of copying the iconic Big Boss salute for the sake of fanservice.

Pop

For a game that seems to get majority hate, sure does get a lot of coverage.

And what games do they enjoy?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
For a game that seems to get majority hate, sure does get a lot of coverage.

And what games do they enjoy?

I remember them liking Mario Kart 8, Guacamele, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Invisible Inc (though it being Early Access was a sticking point), Risk of Rain, and, in a round-about-way of picking on Call of Duty, the Mario games.

Pop

I remember them liking Mario Kart 8, Guacamele, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Invisible Inc (though it being Early Access was a sticking point), Risk of Rain, and, in a round-about-way of picking on Call of Duty, the Mario games.

Yeahhh, I watched some videos I see their routine.

I did go a bit "wtf?" at the part where
they show the girl get fucking wrecked by a werewolf, trying to make an intense scene,
when they've already shown the outcome of that hours before.

As a game built on a story, the plot seems to exist as if it were supposed to be an episodic game. That ending felt especially disappointing.

squall23

I love these guys. Its the only twitch steam I watch. And the only one I will everrrrr watch.

The melt down is still on their twitch steam for the ending, it was pretty great.

http://www.twitch.tv/previouslyrecorded_live/v/3835355 2hrs 42mins in. You have to try a few times usually cause the audio can get funky.

They destroyed the game cause thats what they do at the ends on their series 'best of the worst' for really bad movies they watch.
Just watched final and credits part. God damn, I wish I saw that live just to see all the chat reactions.

Betty

Banned
Also, didn't MGS3 almost end with a similar cut to black - gunshot? There was a bit more afterwards but that was also pretty bad.

No, the whole game built up to that moment.

In The Order you're shooting a person that you personally knew from the second they walked on screen was the bad guy and felt nothing for killing him.

As others have said though MGS3 has a good deal of closure after that.

cheezcake

It's not a game about making choices. It was never pitched as a game about making choices. It's like complaining your seafood platter tastes of fish or being mad no one would just talk normal at the opera.

All games are about making choices, that's the precise thing that makes a game a game. And choice doesn't have to be different dialogue responses and branching game worlds, it can just mean having the ability to go actually influence the way encounters work. Good shooters all have SOME feeling of choice. Halo has a crapton of different weapons, abilities and vehicles along with sandbox-y areas to give the player the ability to play out encounters however they want to. Bioshock has plasmids. Other games have freeform stealth mechanics, or maybe a large variety of enemy types. The Order has nothing which gives players the feeling of choice.

And besides even ignoring the gameplay in its entirety the story of the game isn't too hot either.

sonicmj1

Isn't there a review thread for stuff like this?

After this post, there was nowhere else for the thread to go.

A lot nonsense to obfuscate one simple fact: the illusive standard which you debate distinguish professional reviewers from a forumner.

What standard do you speak of? Aren't reviews plagued by selective criticism - or, "inconsistencies"? In instances showcase bias? In instances showcase non-adherance to their own "guidelines"? Aren't these guidelines different from outlet to outlet? Scoring systems different from outlet to outlet? Aren't these guidelines changed on a whim because of "flaws"? Aren't scoring system criticized by "reviewers" themselves because of lack of inclusiveness? Aren't reviews subjective opinions in practice despite the allusiveness of objective analysis?

Can a forumner not adhere to guidelines? Can a forumner not be well spoken, or have good writing skills and post coherent "reviews" aka final impressions on a product? Can a forumner not have a degree?

Ultimately, can a forumner not have a voice because of a difference in platforms? Is the quality diminished by the platform? NO.
How about we stop pretending x platform = good, y platform = bad and judge the content of words by their own merit? I mean people do this all the time with review sites themselves? IGN>Polygon, Gametrailers>Gamespot bla bla bla..... my favorite is x, y is a joke.

Lets look at GAF: I trust final impressions from poster x on GAF, distrust impressions from poster Y on GAF because of X, Y, Z.

Luther King Jr. would be proud.

Cheerilee

Lemme guess: They don't like it. They seem to gravitate toward indie games and Nintendo stuff, and mostly seem to dislike AAA-budget games.

I still love you, Red Letter Media.

IIRC, someone asked Jack if Nintendo is his favorite developer, and he said "By default", because Nintendo hasn't really knocked the ball out of the park in years, they're just coasting along on previous times that they knocked the ball out of the park.

I think Rich Evans feels the same. Like in their review of Mario Kart Wii U, he says that the series peaked with Double Dash on the GameCube.

They don't dislike AAA games, they like things that are fresh and new, but lately in videogames, the AAA industry is mostly sticking to tried-and-true ideas because of serious financial concerns, while more of the "creative risks" are being taken by indies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom