• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

BlizzKrut

Banned
Let's be honest though, it's better to have a file missing that can just be added than all of us complaining how shitty the performance is lol.

edit: Oh yeah, apart from Mifec (oops)

Yeah, I think this port will be considered to be superior to Dishonored 2's simply because of the engine alone.

Durante

How ... how does this happen?
Steam has a pretty cool system where you can arbitrarily group data into different packs, and associate those with different subscriptions, languages and operating systems. This means that, when used correctly, people will only need to download exactly those assets they need, reducing both download sizes and disk space requirements.

However, it also means that if you mess up with adding some file to some package or some package to some sub/language/OS combination something like this can happen. It should be very quick and easy to fix.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
Language depots were added to the remaining subs a few minutes ago. Those without dialogue audio should see a "patch" any minute now.

Yep, getting a 700mb patch right now, which fits with the size of the english.pak file some seemed to have

At least it was fixed fast but... still seems like a really sloppy mistake.

r3n4ud

Steam has a pretty cool system where you can arbitrarily group data into different packs, and associate those with different subscriptions, languages and operating systems. This means that, when used correctly, people will only need to download exactly those assets they require, educing both download sizes and disk space.

However, it also means that if you mess up with adding some file to some package or some package to some sub/language/OS combination something like this can happen. It should be very quick and easy to fix.
Gotcha. Thanks sir.

Bumping my post so it is not lost in the Wirr. It could be interesting to those who care! :D
BTW, if anyone wants to try out some user.cfg stuff I would be greatful. Perhaps it could help with aliasing and such.

Try this. Make a "user.cfg" file and drop it in the game root directory (so next to system.cfg in the Steam/Prey folder. It should be on the same stem/tree level as the Bin64 folder).

In that user.cfg have the following:
Code:
con_Restricted = 0
r_DeferredShadingFilterGBuffer = 1
r_AntialiasingMode = 3
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffHiFreq = 6.0
r_AntialiasingTAAFalloffLowFreq = 2.0
r_AntialiasingTAAPattern = 6

And then make sure the in game setting for antialising is SMAA2Tx before you make this config. I wonder if these will work like in other CE games.

If I were to do this what I should see / keep eye out for and report back?

The G Buffer filter should kill a lot of high frequency specular aliasing within textures. The other stuff (namely, TAA Pattern 6) changes the amount of samples over time and within image space the TSSAA has. So you should see higher imagine stability in general if they just left that value at the default engine value (which is 2 IIRC). Comparison screens are always nice :D

GavinUK86

Weird thing, scrolling the mouse wheel in any direction brings up the radial wheel for weapon select, which pauses the game, and you can't unbind it.

Unless you can in a cfg file somewhere.

TheRed

Just launching it. Good news for people like me is it has an official steam controller configuration already. Bad news is it just doesn't work at all lol. Good news is making my own works.

Lol in the files at least for recorded videos the folder is titled Prey 2. Rubbing salt in the wound there.

Game is running perfect solid 60 fps in starting area at 1440p on GTX 1080. Is there chromatic aberration? I can't really tell for sure but there's a blurriness to the game and it's colors look a little weird I wouldn't be surprised. No option for it though if it is there.

knitoe

Intel 5930K @4.4GHz & Asus Strix 1080ti

Right at the beginning starting room, it runs max settings 4K @ ~80fps. Have play further to see how fall the fps will tank.

How's 1440p performance on a 980ti with g-string? Won't be able to test till tomorrow.
Opening is 60 fps at 4k with a 980ti tho obviously that'll change once things get busy. I'd imagine 1440p with gsync will be smooth. I should probably play that way.

Load times are 3 seconds long to reload a quicksave. Rad.

dex3108

So port is good but game kinda looks mediocre and it is kinda half assed because some of the settings that are standard for Arkane games (like FOV slider and HUD Customization) are missing. All in all i will probably wait few months before i buy it and play it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Posted to OT, but...

Aaand game is broken :D

Game skips all dialogue segments and NPC's don't say anything even when they are supposed to.

Yep game is deffo broken

Yup, I updated them right after you posted them in the OT.

FoV is coming further down the line. Confirmed.

Stutters don't sound great but i can easily live with it, like i did with Dishonored 2
I'm pretty confident they needed a demo...
xJ72403.gif

21:9 sems to work fine.
Great news, at least.
Language depots were added to the remaining subs a few minutes ago. Those without dialogue audio should see a "patch" any minute now.
More great news.

Guess the majority got no issues outside the launch problems then?

knitoe

So port is good but game kinda looks mediocre and it is kinda half assed because some of the settings that are standard for Arkane games (like FOV slider and HUD Customization) are missing. All in all i will probably wait few months before i buy it and play it.

Yeah. The game doesn't look good even at max settings 4K.

Paragon

When you sprint it halves your mouse sensitivity.
That might be acceptable with a controller, but it's not okay using a mouse.

Tovarisc

The G Buffer filter should kill a lot of high frequency specular aliasing within textures. The other stuff (namely, TAA Pattern 6) changes the amount of samples over time and within image space the TSSAA has. So you should see higher imagine stability in general if they just left that value at the default engine value (which is 2 IIRC). Comparison screens are always nice :D

Without:
With:
Also FoV stuff doesn't seem to do anything when I put lines into user.cfg

sueil

Runs perfect no problems for me. Took the 700mb patch as soon as it started unlocking.

21:9 3440x1440
ddr4 32 gb
win 10 etc...

I mean if this rig had problems I would be real worried.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Way to cherry pick.

I can only speak for me but it's pretty solid so far. No drops below 60fps at 1080p, maximum settings.

It's a very solid port.
Aight so its only FOV slider missing, otherwise its pretty decent? Might pick it up then, was expecting a disaster.
He somehow missed the ones where I said it's fine after I restarted.
That I did. Good thing its working tho.

GavinUK86

Aight so its only FOV slider missing, otherwise its pretty decent? Might pick it up then, was expecting a disaster.

That I did. Good thing its working tho.

Yeah, pretty decent so far. Hope it keeps it up. I'm just coming out onto the main demo area.

Alxjn

Since it's CryEngine, can't you manually change the FOV? Or is that tied to the game code and would fuck shit up?

I remember being able to force a wider FoV in all the Crysis games, not sure how much has changed since then. Crysis 2 required 3 different inputs to get the FoV to work properly though.

Mifec

And thank god. It's the polar opposite to D2. That was a shitshow, and still is in places. This on the other hand is good so far.

It's working for you now? That's good.

For some reason it just breaks when I change SSR until I restart, it works after I restart with whatever setting I leave it on so it's not an issue.

Top Bottom