• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro CS:GO Player Banned for VAC at 15 Years old

I mean... no, not really, its not like CS:GO is the only eSport or even the only eSport FPS, and its not like he was caught cheating in some entirely other game.

"People who have been caught cheating in CS:GO are not allowed to enter this CS:GO tournament" doesn't come across as some outrageously egregious standard

The problem is that it's selectively applied. Someone earlier mentioned S1mple. He was banned for cheating in one league, but because it wasn't a VAC ban, he was allowed to participate in other leagues (his cheating ban was also only a couple years, not permanent). Another player brought up k0nfig. Both of those players currently play for top teams in the international CS:GO pro scene. So I guess as long as it's the right kind of cheating, it's OK. But the kid who wasn't a pro cheating in a pub? Fuck him forever.

xviper

i though the kid got banned for getting Vaccinated at age 15, i was like what the fuck does that have to do with gaming ?

Budi

"thief goes to jail" also sounds very reasonable but there is a huge difference between:
-someone stealing purse from old woman in an alley
-someone accidently taking a bubble gum from the store he forgot to pay for

both cases are technically theft, tell me both cases deserve the same punishment.

context matters
Funny that you bring up stealing a purse. We had a thread in GAF where many people were arguing in favor of speeding over a thief with an SUV in a parking lot. I didn't think that was a punishment that fits the crime. But I do think that ban for cheating fits. And having a rule that forbids cheaters in professional enviroment is also reasonable. But as I said, cleaning the record after some time is also very reasonable. People get their credit rating back too! Or atleast where I live they do, record will be cleaned after some time.

Reani

Which of those two does "Caught cheating on an undisclosed alt-account" fall under?
i am not living in uk or us so forgive my ignorance in advance, but i think it falls under something called "statue of limitations" aka charges being dropped since too much time passed since the initial crime

yes he cheated, okay. that happened 3 years ago in non competitive environment. this event is completely irrelevant to current situation

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
He deserves to be punished for cheating, but a lifetime ban? Give me a fucking break.

unban-your-xbox-live-account-is-banned-until-12-31-9999-by-tricking-microsofts-banning-system.w1456.jpg

don't cheat

Cynn

Wouldn't need a break if he hadn't cheated.

To be fair though, you could maybe treat this a little different as he was 15 at the time and you treat crimes commited before adulthood differently too.
It’s mostly kids who cheat though. Life lessons come in many forms.

LordRaptor

The problem is that it's selectively applied. Someone earlier mentioned S1mple. He was banned for cheating in one league, but because it wasn't a VAC ban, he was allowed to participate in other leagues (his cheating ban was also only a couple years, not permanent). Another player brought up k0nfig. Both of those players currently play for top teams in the international CS:GO pro scene. So I guess as long as it's the right kind of cheating, it's OK. But the kid who wasn't a pro cheating in a pub? Fuck him forever.

Well, its because VAC bans are the only real eSports equivalent to a central agency.
I suspect most people - audience and honest participants alike - would be in favour of more consistency on cheating, but I don't expect ESL to give away their anti-cheat clients to competitor tournaments.

i am not living in uk or us so forgive my ignorance in advance, but i think it falls under something called "statue of limitations" aka charges being dropped since too much time passed since the initial crime

yes he cheated, okay. that happened 3 years ago in non competitive environment. this event is completely irrelevant to current situation

I don't think its completely irrelevant, and without any guidelines on how long a ban 'should' exist for, its difficult to say its even outside of statute of limitations.

Reani

It's mostly kids who cheat though. Life lessons come in many forms.

current punishment, like was said before, doesnt fit the crime.
its like making a lifetime record in your dossier and passport "KNOWN THIEF" for stealing a bar of chocolate when you were a 10 year old kid. completely absurd.

should've known better not to steal! - according to neogaf. that will teach him a lesson!

ZangBa

He got this VAC thing playing casually on a smurf account? Weird, I don't see why this should affect him in a tournament setting.

Budi

He got this VAC thing playing casually on a smurf account? Weird, I don't see why this should affect him in a tournament setting.
He got VAC banned for cheating on a smurf account. Like he clearly understood "shit, I shouldn't cheat. It might have consequences. Nah I'll just use smurf account for that!"

EndMerit

I'd argue that a 5 year ban is about the maximum punishment any cheater deserves in any game. If someone wants to come back after that kind of time, and the game still has community worth coming back to, chances are you might as well give that someone their second chance.
(I understand how idealistic and naïve that is in a world where you can often just buy another game/account after getting banned though...)

In this particular case? Kid got banned 3 years ago, he's not getting my sympathy just yet.

reckless

That, while technically accurate, is a reductive and somewhat misleading characterization of this specific situation.

Must have missed the part where this is some hugely complex and intricate situation and not just. Tournament has rules about not being allowed to play if person is vac banned, one player was found to be vac banned and subsequently not allowed to participate.

ZangBa

He got VAC banned for cheating on a smurf account. Like he clearly understood "shit, I shouldn't cheat. It might have consequences. Nah I'll just use smurf account for that!"

I mean I understand that, but it has nothing to do with whatever tournaments he's in and playing legitimately. If he was caught cheating within the tournament then yeah, flush that guy, but just playing casually online? Who cares.

prag16

Banned
Must have missed the part where this is some hugely complex and intricate situation and not just. Tournament has rules about not being allowed to play if person is vac banned, one player was found to be vac banned and subsequently not allowed to participate.

I'm not disputing what the rules are. I'm asserting that this rule is bullshit, as applied to this situation.

You sound like the people in piracy threads who interject into philosophical discussions on the morality or effects of it, with, "WELL, IT'S ILLEGAL, END OF STORY".

I don't think you can expect someone at the age of 15 to understand this at all.

?

Kids are not as stupid and incompetent as you think. Kids learn this shit by kindergarten. There are cartoons aimed at pre-school aged children teaching them that lying, cheating, etc is wrong.

15 year olds are scout leaders, camp counselors, lifeguards, and learner drivers. They understand concepts as elementary as "play fair."

?

Kids are not as stupid and incompetent as you think. 15 is old enough to know that cheating is wrong. Kids learn this shit by kindergarten. There are cartoons aimed at pre-school aged children teaching them that lying, cheating, etc is wrong.

15 year olds are scout leaders, camp counselors, lifeguards, and learner drivers. They understand concepts as elementary as "play fair."

They know cheating is wrong. But the impact it could have on their life, no, I don't think most 15 year olds quite understand what those consequences entail.

FX-GMC

What's a 15 year old doing playing an M-rated game anyway?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Easy. 15 is a time of Immaturity that you can't be sure they fully understand the ramifications of cheating. 15 is also old enough to play games with a Mature rating.

/s cause some people can't tell

Its the only way to go about it IMO. Only way he could have got the game was either having parental permission or being the age of 18+. It's expected from Adults that they shouldn't cheat in games and at the end of the day it's a good lesson for kids too. It's just a game so the repercussions aren't as severe. If you plan to make a job out of something like that it's not worth the risk trying to cheat anyways.

Bandini

its saddening to see so many people thinking this world is completely black and white and everything should be judged entirely by the book ignoring any actual event circumstances

And everyone who has ever made a mistake is a horrible person who deserves the worst. Why can't they be more like the people who are so perfect they're able to rightously condemn someone they don't know, based on a couple paragraphs they read?

reckless

I'm not disputing what the rules are. I'm asserting that this rule is bullshit, as applied to this situation.

You sound like the people in piracy threads who interject into philosophical discussions on the morality or effects of it, with, "WELL, IT'S ILLEGAL, END OF STORY".

Banning someone from a specific league because they have cheated isn't some huge moral quandary.

And it seems like the effects are good since it will act as a deterrent.

They know cheating is wrong. But the impact it could have on their life, no, I don't think most 15 year olds quite understand what those consequences entail.

Nah, they understand. In 4th grade, we had a guest speaker come into the class and give a speech about his life as a smoker. The damage to his body, what it feels like to be addicted, the monetary cost, all that good stuff. I'm still not a smoker, because at 8/9 years old, I was old enough to understand that some bad decisions can last forever.

Kids are impulsive and often make mistakes, but they do understand.

Budi

I mean I understand that, but it has nothing to do with whatever tournaments he's in and playing legitimately. If he was caught cheating within the tournament then yeah, flush that guy, but just playing casually online? Who cares.
People who play casually online against cheaters care. If person thinks that cheating is okay in video games, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they might have done this more than once. And who is to say that he hasn't cheated in competitive matches too, yeah probably not at LAN event ofcourse. People can get banned from tournaments for just lan dodging too, even without any proof of cheating anywhere.

Kei-

Yea...this is completely ridiculous. Professional athletes who abuse performance-enhancing substances get suspended for a year or two, sometimes longer. They only ever receive a permanent ban after several infractions. He should be suspended from the pro-circuit for a year or a season.

eot

Banned
Cheaters are a huge problem in shooters, I don't really play CS:GO so I don't know how much of a problem it is nowadays, but it used to be a big problem in CS 1.6.

Fuck 'em, don't cheat

nded

A lifetime ban seems a bit over the top, but the tournament organizers set the requirements and the player in question signed up with full knowledge that he did not meet said requirements.

tbm24

People who play casually online against cheaters care. If person thinks that cheating is okay in video games, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they might have done this more than once. And who is to say that he hasn't cheated in competitive matches too, yeah probably not at LAN event ofcourse. People can get banned from tournaments for just lan dodging too, even without any proof of cheating anywhere.
Seems weird to take one instance year ago and just assume since he is capable of cheating, he must have, so the ban is justified. The ban is punishing who he was years ago.

Cynn

current punishment, like was said before, doesnt fit the crime.
its like making a lifetime record in your dossier and passport "KNOWN THIEF" for stealing a bar of chocolate when you were a 10 year old kid. completely absurd.

should've known better not to steal! - according to neogaf. that will teach him a lesson!
Yeah it’s absolutely nothing like that. This isn’t some mark that follows him everywhere through life. It was a Valve punishement and that stops him from playing Valve games. Lifetime bans don’t usually come from one time mistakes. Perhaps Valve should do five year bans instead of lifetime ones to allow people time to grow up?

madjoki

It's not that simple. A VAC ban on Steam prevents you from ever again playing any online game on a VAC-secured server. There's a lower "game ban" that only bans you from that game. Doesn't sound like that's the case in this guy's situation. It says full blown VAC ban.

He better hope he never aspires to turn pro in a game that uses VAC-secured servers. Some butthurt competitor may go all detective on his ass.

VAC games are per game. (HL1 and HL2 era games are grouped by engine). CS:GO is separate.

Game bans are bans by other cheat engines than VAC or by humans (eg. Overwatch). Can be permanent or temporary.

Budi

Seems weird to take one instance year ago and just assume since he is capable of cheating, he must have, so the ban is justified. The ban is punishing who he was years ago.
The ban is justified because he did cheat. I agree that it should be forgiven if he supposedly has stopped doing that. But 3 years isn't really that long of a time yet. And different leagues/tournaments can have their own rules. ESL has this at 2 years, so the dude can compete there already. I find that to be too low myself, would settle with 5 at minimun.

Marcel

do you say the same everytime youtuber gets banned for dmca claims or smth? "just get a real job?"
really?

If you're banned by TOS or code of conduct and have no recourse then yeah you have to do something else. Maybe don't cheat if your career trajectory was to make money going pro playing a game?

Zero sympathy for cheaters in multiplayer games. They all know what they're doing. Seeking an unfair advantage over others playing fairly.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Zero sympathy for cheaters in multiplayer games. They all know what they're doing. Seeking an unfair advantage over others playing fairly.

Yeah but if you wanna buy like a coupla hundred bux worth of loot box in BFII for an unfair advantage, welcome to the VIP program, valued customer!

commissar

Uh, every other player in the map?

Like, you've never had your free time wasted cause some loser decides to cheat?

MUnited83

For you.
so if 3 years ago i gave no shits about csgo, played 1 game (literally the only one, friend gifted me the game) with hacks for lulz and got banned, then 3 years later i decide to give this game a second chance and become a professional player, according to many of you here i should be banned for life for daring to cheat in a public game once when i had zero intentions of playing it seriously at all.

good to know
Yes, you should.

Man that was easy.

Top Bottom