• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is coming to Europe. It's the first movie based on the popular Professor Layton series, developed by Level 5.

eternal-diva-banner.jpg

Story:
THE PROFESSOR S FIRST MOVIE AND HIS TOUGHEST PUZZLE YET! Professor Layton, true English gentleman and the world's greatest amateur super sleuth embarks on his most daring adventure yet when he receives a letter from his old student, the famous opera diva Janice Quatlane. She is to perform at the legendary Crown Petone Opera House and invites him to attend as her special guest. Meanwhile, a spate of disappearances hits London. Two young school girls are the latest victims and the Professor suspects it's related to the mysterious occurences at the theatre. The Professor and his loyal assistant Luke travel to the Opera House to solve their toughest puzzle yet, the mystery of Eternal Life! Based on the UK's favourite Nintendo DS game, Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva is a brand new adventure produced by Level 5, the creator's of the multi-million selling Professor Layton puzzle games.

Release: October 13th (France); October 18th (UK); October (rest of Europe)
Languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Italian, German
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish, Dutch
Please note that only the blu-ray edition includes all languages and subtitles. Whether the DVD includes "your" language depends on where you buy it.
Running time: 95 mins
Distribution: Manga Entertainment (UK), Kazé (rest of Europe)
There will be three editions available:

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva DVD+Blu-ray Combi Pack Deluxe Collector's Edition

(French boxart)
- Blu-ray: HD-version of the movie
- DVD: SD version of the movie
- Bonus DVD (36 mins; Behind the scenes at LEVEL-5, PA WORKS and OLM; conception of 3d scenes)
- All storyboards of the movie (640 pages)
- Price: 49,95€

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [Blu-ray]

(French boxart)
- HD / 16:9 / 1080p
- Japanese: DTS Master Audio 5.1 and 2.0 PCM uncompressed, other languages: DTS 5.1 et 2.0 Dolby Digital
- Price: 29,95€

Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva [DVD]

(French boxart)

- SD / 16:9
- Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0
- Price : 24,95€

The UK gets another version with 3 discs:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VADNWI/

Prices and editions may vary in the individual countries.

Official trailers:
German trailer

41800_234394068247_4436_n.jpg

Does the story have a really bad plot twist like the games? I like the Layton series, but the plot twists in the ending were terrible. I'll probably still watch the movie though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Cow Mengde said:
Does the story have a really bad plot twist like the games? I like the Layton series, but the plot twists at the end of Diabolical Box was terrible. I'll probably still watch the movie though.
Fixed

madara

Huh I thought Europe got everything last. :lol Have not heard about this before, when is it coming state side?

madara said:
Huh I thought Europe got everything last. :lol Have not heard about this before, when is it coming state side?

Layton is more popular in Europe then it is in the US. But we still get the games first. Hopefully someone brings it over. I wonder if they used the same voices as the games...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I saw it, was a very enjoyable movie and may very well be the best video game movie ever made as it totally captures the feel of the game, there's even puzzles.

Surprised they are releasing this as it is supposed to fit in chronologically, and that would be after the 4th game (which is a prequel to the first 3).

I mean like the games they are still stand alone pieces but there's a few things that carry over.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If I were to import, I know that blu-rays don't have region lock (most times) word if this will?

Also, how will the PAL -> NTSC thing work? I'd be playing it on my PS3.

zoku88

I want to buy this just to hear Horikita Maki's voice. But I'm pretty sure Europe and the US have different Blu-ray regions.

DrForester said:
I saw it, was a very enjoyable movie and may very well be the best video game movie ever made as it totally captures the feel of the game, there's even puzzles.

Surprised they are releasing this as it is supposed to fit in chronologically, and that would be after the 4th game (which is a prequel to the first 3).

I mean like the games they are still stand alone pieces but there's a few things that carry over.

So, best video game movie adaptation you would say?

Amir0x

Banned
Usually movies (including anime movies) based on games are awful. But I really like the art style of the games, and always thought it'd make a good movie. Was there positive praise about this movie?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amir0x said:
Usually movies (including anime movies) based on games are awful. But I really like the art style of the games, and always thought it'd make a good movie. Was there positive praise about this movie?

The movie is just like the games, it's actually a little weird how much like the game.

Amir0x

Banned
DrForester said:
The movie is just like the games, it's actually a little weird how much like the game.

wait the movie is a series of puzzles that they have to incomprehensibly go around solving?

That sounds retarded as a movie then :lol

I thought they'd just be straight sluething it up or something, like Sherlock Holmes with an emphasis on riddler-esque clues.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amir0x said:
wait the movie is a series of puzzles that they have to incomprehensibly go around solving?

That sounds retarded as a movie then :lol

I thought they'd just be straight sluething it up or something, like Sherlock Holmes with an emphasis on riddler-esque clues.

The movie has several puzzles they must solve but they all tie into what's going on.

Altazor

fuck yeah professor layton. gonna be buying this... when it reaches Chile (which I don't think will happen in a long time though...) =/

MNC

The OST of this is so fucking amazing. I love Layton music, period, but hearing new things and in even slighty better quality is SO FUCKING AMAZING.

The Plot Thickens
Puzzles 2-5

That being said, the movie is awesome too. Puzzles were handled amazingly and still sparce, no 150+ puzzles in the movie ofcourse :lol

As for plot twists, this was on par, maybe a bit below the twist of Curious Village. That one blew me away :lol The twist in Diabolical Box was pretty lame.

Wait, does this story take place after Layton 3? Cause you know, at the end of the 3rd game, something happens, but the screen shots says otherwise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Specters Flute > Eternal Diva* > 3DS game > Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Unwound Future

*Eternal Diva is presented as a flashback, the opening sequence would have to take place sometime after Curious Village.

Least I think that's the way of it...

watkinzez

DrForester said:
The movie has several puzzles they must solve but they all tie into what's going on.

I'm getting flashbacks to the Where's Wally TV series where they'd have a puzzle halfway through the episode. :lol
The presentation of the Layton games have always been great, but I've never really liked how little they integrate the puzzles into the story. I'll keep an eye out for the film though.

I'm thinking of buying the Bluray version of this movie

is it any good?

I loved the first game. I didn't finish it though, I got stuck and lost interest after some time.. :p

OMG Aero

I've never played a Professor Layton game before, but this makes me want to get the first one so I can see how they can make a puzzle game into a movie.

jaxword

Layton is a great hero for this generation and anyone who disagrees is just an awful person.

I wonder if a live action Layton would work?

trinest

Ordered this movie when I realised a few weeks back that it was coming out so soon on Blu/DVD.

So the question is- is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom