• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

I ordered from Amazon.co.uk (I'm in the US) because my blu-ray player can be switched between regions, and it was only about 23 USD shipped. Won't be able to review until after xmas however, as it's a gift for my wife.

NekoFever

Anyone know the specs of the UK version? I'll buy it if it has decent audio.

I've got a US PS3 and a Blu-ray player that can be switched between regions, so I can give a definite answer on the region coding when I get my hands on it.

m3k

2m2w6yf.jpg

there was a presentation in germany a few days back. they even gave away free copies of it afterwards :eek:

i wasnt there, but the word of mouth is that its a fun movie with little confusing end and the kid seemed to be annoying.

Oxx

Is this going to be disc-only? I only really watch films through iTunes or Virgin Media these days.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Scalemail Ted said:
No US release dates? :-(
Well, there are diffrent VA's between the US and UK versions, most likely it will get released with the Superior US VA's after the 4th Layton game comes out in English. I know at least I am not going to watch it till then.

Wizpig

The movie is absolutely brilliant!
THE best game -> movie "adaptation" ever!

Would (and will) watch again.
Amazing.

I bought the "combi pack" but had to watch the DVD version because i don't have a BluRay player... the BluRay has lots of languages and not only Japanese/English, so i'll definitely watch it again in Italian.

The UK dub is pretty damn good.
I don't Like the UK Luke a lot, but he was funny anyway... and Layton is amazing as always.

ps. The book in the collector's edition is awesome, but it would've been a lot better if it actually had some colored artworks... oh well.

Out 23-11 in Europe, already pre-ordered the Special Edition. But I'll probably cave and import the UK version. Is the Blu-ray region free, what languages are supported?

OMG Aero

Wizpig said:
The movie is absolutely brilliant!
THE best game -> movie "adaptation" ever!

Would (and will) watch again.
Amazing.

I bought the "combi pack" but had to watch the DVD version because i don't have a BluRay player... the BluRay has lots of languages and not only Japanese/English, so i'll definitely watch it again in Italian.

The UK dub is pretty damn good.
I don't Like the UK Luke a lot, but he was funny anyway... and Layton is amazing as always.

ps. The book in the collector's edition is awesome, but it would've been a lot better if it actually had some colored artworks... oh well.
I only just got the first Layton game because of the Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover so I'm not sure how story heavy the games are, but does the movie reference the games at all or can you watch and understand it even if you haven't completed them all?

Wizpig

OMG Aero said:
I only just got the first Layton game because of the Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover so I'm not sure how story heavy the games are, but does the movie reference the games at all or can you watch and understand it even if you haven't completed them all?
You may need to "close your eyes" / turn around at the beginning of the movie, where scenes from the games are played: i think it contains spoilers from all the first three games. (it's not important at all, you can skip it, it's a little introduction telling you about the games but i heard it contains some spoilerish stuff from the third game and i still have to play that)
The movie also contains a cool trailer for the third game.

Other than that? you're cool; but it's better to have at least played the first game so that you are introduced to some characters.

The movie is actually a prequel to the first three games, and happens after the fourth game, which is, like Star Wars, the first chronologically.

The fourth game will come out for the DS (not the 3DS) but who knows when.
It was already out in Japan when the movie got released, hence the "spoilers" for the first three games: those are old for the japanese people.

Professor Layton series fictional chronology

The Specter's Flute
The Eternal Diva
The Mask of Miracle (fifth game, 3DS)
The Curious Village
The Diabolical Box
The Unwound Future

Totakeke

The only part that really wasn't explained was

How did Melina have anything to do with the Song of the Sea needed to rise Ambrosia at all based on what the characters know?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm not sure whether to get the UK version or wait for a US one. The UK Luke voice is just so hideous, and I saying that as a Londoner. The US one is a thousand times better.

big_z

ah so the UK luke is different. odd they would use a different VA for him. i watched a few minutes on youtube and he sounds bad. will wait for the NA version.

OMG Aero

Does Layton have a different voice in the US and UK versions? I had a quick look on youtube and I can tell there is a big difference between US and UK Luke but Layton sounds pretty much the same to me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
OMG Aero said:
Does Layton have a different voice in the US and UK versions? I had a quick look on youtube and I can tell there is a big difference between US and UK Luke but Layton sounds pretty much the same to me.

Nah, Layton is the same. I think it's just Luke that is different.

Has anyone worked out the puzzle (3 digits) that's on the bonus disc? You're supposed to enter the code on the website. The hints are the numbers on the DVD case. I can't figure it out at all...

Wizpig

big_z said:
ah so the UK luke is different. odd they would use a different VA for him. i watched a few minutes on youtube and he sounds bad. will wait for the NA version.
There's not a NA version planned at all.

When asked about a North American release, director Akihiro Hino stated "We don't have any plans to release the movies in America currently, but we'll make sure to let you know if that changes."[7]
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/27/level-5-president-on-making-a-better-professor-layton-for-americ/

Wizpig

honeymustardn said:
Has anyone worked out the puzzle (3 digits) that's on the bonus disc? You're supposed to enter the code on the website. The hints are the numbers on the DVD case. I can't figure it out at all...
Trying now, i'm stumped.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't realize there was a bluray version. The ps3 is bluray region locked isn't it?

I bought this when it was first released but didn't get around to watching it until last night. Great film, I fell asleep towards the end but it wasn't because I was getting bored with it. I'd love to get a version with the english voice actors.

I would imagine that anyone who enjoys the games would enjoy the movie.

I managed to watch it this past weekend, and overall it was pretty good, arguably the best "game to film" adaptations, but that's no doubt in part due to the archetypes of the source material.

It feels as if the movie at one point existed as an outline for a game's plot, except more action-heavy at the end. I wonder if that is literally the case. There's even a group of extras on screen for 4/5ths of the movie that in a game, you'd presumably get puzzles from while driving the main plot forward.

There is some AMAZING fan service in the movie though, and if nothing else, the soundtrack has some incredible versions of classic Layton tunes.

Luke's voice was a little grating, but perhaps because he was jabbering over the entire opening credit sequence, which seems like something that may have been added to the dub to those unfamiliar with the games. Also the opening credits have some hefty spoilers for the games, if you are eagle-eyed enough to make the connection and care. There's also a certain awkwardness to the pacing that is forgivable in the games, but keeps the movie from being something really special with lots of crossover appeal.

The only thing missing is a scene after the credits where Layton throws his mentor's pocket watch (or whatever) off a cliff, then at the bottom a man with spikey hair in a blue suit catches it, crushes it, and quips "I see Professor Layton, that you have no objection..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom