• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Graphics Horse said:
If you're going to display 'high quality games' on the screen, you either need a high quality graphics processor in each controller or a video stream.

I could see it having a 2D mode where the terminal is not entirely dumb, but something like this seems like the best bet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8omefUZik

Some kind of remotely controlled 3D graphics processor sounds both expensive and limiting compared to a simple video stream.

I'm still very skeptical about the streaming rumour.

That AMD solution, and WiDi, just use standard WiFi and have latency. It's not a magic new technology. They are also aimed at streaming video, powerpoint presentations etc. Not gaming, which is why that demo is just showing a film. It's also limited by WiFi performance and vulnerable to interference.

The only notable aspect of the AMD+ViVu combo is because the GPU is already capable of outputting to multiple devices, and it uses the GPU to resize/compress the video to reduce the latency. But the latency is still there. It also scales how much it compresses the video automatically depending on the wireless performance.

I just can't see Nintendo going for anything that will result in laggy controls, they are incredibly fussy about that sort of thing. Also, the nature of the technology means it's variable in quality and performance and that isn't very Nintendo either. They like things to just work.

Not long to go at least until we finally find out what the angle of the system is.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
AceBandage said:
Nintendo obviously found a way to make their Pikmins run between devices really fast.

Green Pikmins confirmed for Pikmin 3!

They'd need RGB for highspeed Pikmin-powered video streaming.

swerve

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Everything points to a disappointment...

Not if you have no expectations beyond 'new stuff from Nintendo'.

In my head, there is a cradle with a screen which pops on and off like the blue-light on the Wii, and which lets me play things like Four Swords Adventures on a huge screen, and the machine will also play things like Super Mario Galaxy 3 or New Super Mario World.

If these things turn out true or false it won't really matter seeing as there hasn't really been a new Nintendo machine, save perhaps the GameCube, which has has an underwhelming reveal for me. And I was *at* Spaceworld for the Gamecube reveal.

It's teh gamez rite?

Sadist

Eh, it won't be a dissapointment because I'm expecting... well... typical Nintendo stuff.

And I'll love it no matter what :(

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everything points to a disappointment...

Seeing as we have absolutely no clue what the angle of the system is, it's hard to be disappointed. The most contentious aspect of the system will be its power, but some people will be disappointed no matter what in that area. As long as its powerful enough to run popular middleware effectively, that's really enough. Anything more will be a bonus.

The most interesting things will be the games, and because they are having the system playable there is bound to be a killer-app that demonstrates the angle of the system. We honestly don't know what direction they are going in with this, but I'm sure it will be a 'new experience' of some kind.

However, if Pikmin 3 is still MIA then Nintendo fail, and we will need a counselling thread where people can cry and express their rage and confusion.

Expect the unexpected.
Expect the expected.
Expect lots of good stuff regardless.
They can only disappoint you if your expectations are completely unrealistic.

Yagharek

I'm getting the impression this thread is a dual rumour/want thread? If not I apologise for my post to come, it's just a 'want' dot point rather than a rumour.

If this system has a touchscreen controller, I really hope we get to see some great tower defence style game from Q Games. They did pixeljunk monsters, but also the under-appreciated game Starship Patrol on DSiWare.

I'd love to see a 2 to 4 player co-op or versus mode tower defence mode where each screen can be used to build turrets and whatnot.

big_z

AceBandage said:
They can only disappoint you if your expectations are completely unrealistic.

and thats why they're going to disappoint a ton of people. people expecting a proper next gen console and going to be pissed when they turn up with a repackaged 360 and gimmick controller. maybe the gimmick will be enough to make up for the rest of the lackluster hardware but for that to happen it's going to have to wow like the wii first did and actually pull through with it's promises.

big_z said:
and thats why they're going to disappoint a ton of people. people expecting a proper next gen console and going to be pissed when they turn up with a repackaged 360 and gimmick controller. maybe the gimmick will be enough to make up for the rest of the lackluster hardware but for that to happen it's going to have to wow like the wii first did and actually pull through with it's promises.

Uh huh...
So, do you have any sources that it's just a repackaged 360?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well I'm very fond of the streaming concept and it would be an awesome idea for a streaming console...that's why I will find any alternative simply disappointing...

It's not totally out of the question if Nintendo tolerate laggy controls and delayed feedback from a touchscreen controller, I just doubt they would. And the only solution that wouldn't have latency would mean you'd have to be in line of sight of the console, and not be able to play games in another room. Defeating its point.

A bundled hoverboard would be cool as well, but I'm not going into E3 expecting that from Nintendo either ;)

DECK'ARD said:
Also, the nature of the technology means it's variable in quality and performance and that isn't very Nintendo either. They like things to just work.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but the Wii remote has different camera settings depending on how much external light is interfering with the sensor bar's lights. If you lower the sensitivity, it's also lowering the pointer accuracy, so there is some kind of precedent there ;)

I don't get how people continue to believe that the Cafe will be just a 360 in box. It's like people have taken over nearly twenty years(probably more years than some of these posters have been alive) of Nintendo history and thrown it to the wayside because they made an anomaly like the Wii work somewhat well for them.

A Nintendo console with the power of a 360 won't cut it this time at all and it's getting really annoying that people keep perpetuating the rumor when the very initial rumors had stated that it was going to be "significantly" more powerful than a PS3. If the same thing had been said about the PS4 or the 360 people would be shitting their pants...

[Nintex]

SolarPowered said:
I don't get how people continue to believe that the Cafe will be just a 360 in box. It's like people have taken over nearly twenty years(probably more years than some of these posters have been alive) of Nintendo history and thrown it to the wayside because they made an anomaly like the Wii work somewhat well for them.

A Nintendo console with the power of a 360 won't cut it this time at all and it's getting really annoying that people keep perpetuating the rumor when the very initial rumors had stated that it was going to be "significantly" more powerful than a PS3. If the same thing had been said about the PS4 or the 360 people would be shitting their pants...
It still is Nintendo though it could be the most awesome system ever specs wise and they'd make it output the graphics only on the controller screen or turn the case into a duck just because they get it into their heads.

[Nintex] said:
It still is Nintendo though it could be the most awesome system ever specs wise and they'd make it output the graphics only on the controller screen or turn the case into a duck just because they get it into their heads.
That's unrealistic even for nintendo

Melville

AceBandage said:
The same source that gave us the info that it's going to be using a R700, which is not even close to equal to the 360.

They still say the Cafe will be slightly superior to the 360 in the article that mentions the R700 (which could be just speculation on the journalist's part, he says "probably").
We'll see for ourselves in a little more than a week anyway!

wsippel said:
And other articles say otherwise. We'll have to wait and see.

He asked for a source, I gave him one :p

ace3skoot

i think the key is to keep your hype in check,

basically i expect a tablet controller that will let me play FF:CC, Zelda 4 swords and the like, along with items, inventory and huds so the main screen is free of clutter and more immersive.

Anything else is bonus, HD Nintendo games is what i really want :) anything else is gravy

mmm gravy :D

[Nintex]

From The Dust said:
That's unrealistic even for nintendo
Remember that the company who came up with the awesome GameCube and Super Mario Galaxy also came up with Wii Music and Wii Speak lol. I'm still going with way beyond Xbox 360 and PS3 especially if the thing costs up to $350 as rumored.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DECK'ARD said:
It's not totally out of the question if Nintendo tolerate laggy controls and delayed feedback from a touchscreen controller, I just doubt they would. And the only solution that wouldn't have latency would mean you'd have to be in line of sight of the console, and not be able to play games in another room. Defeating its point.
Nintendo may use a hybrid tech which is akin to WirelessHD when line of sight is provided (delivering wide bandwidth, low latencies), and something more orthodox for the occasions when line of sight cannot be provided. Let's not forget bluetooth-based game controllers have been the norm for an entire generation now.

It's just getting really annoying to read the comments that people leave behind because there are quite a few people who drop by and state their opinion almost as if it were fact. Console manbabies are already suggestible enough as it is without a budding hivemind consensus that Nintendo have always had "kiddy graphics".
Door2Dawn said:
Power equal to the 360 would be the stupidest thing Nintendo could do imo.
I read your comment before you edited and that is exactly how I would feel. My money could be put to better use and I'll have my PC sometime around the Fall season so I'm not willing to let any of the console manufactures play their silly games.

I've come to expect a certain visual quality/fidelity(Yeah, I know most HD console games aren't even running in 720P) in my consoles and Nintendo is not immune to this anymore. The number of AAA quality titles coming out every month between all gaming platforms is ridiculous and while it won't satiate my thirst for a good Mario game it'll certainly be enough to keep me busy until I can buy the Cafe and it's games at a bargain price.
[Nintex] said:
I don't expect any hardware shenanigans from them anymore. I'm bracing myself for several stupid software decisions though.

Skiesofwonder said:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/117/1170547/e3-2011-igns-printable-e3-predictions-checklist-20110524114112200.jpg

Seems like a good way to leak some "inside info" without many ramifications (if IGN actually knew anything lol).
What were they thinking with the "Wii gets full redesign and price drop."? They just dropped to $149 a few weeks ago--even if that was meant to clear out stock, they wouldn't then release a new model at $129 a few months later.

[Nintex] said:

KhDPL.jpg
?

My final pre-E3 list of what Nintendo needs to do to convince me they know what the fuck they're doing with Cafe:

First of all, they need to prove they have a strategy for selling the system to existing PS3/360 owners and making it a viable platform for multiplatform titles (as they resoundingly failed at on GC, their last platform on which most multiplatform titles were possible, resulting in the loss over the system's lifetime of a significant percentage of its initial support).

This would entail:

1. Revealing at least one major first-party-published title aimed squarely at the HD core market (preferably from a Western developer, preferably a new IP)
2. Announcing 2-3 major third-party titles, not merely as same-day multiplatform releases, but as exclusives of some kind (outright, timed, or featuring significant Cafe-exclusive content)
3. Announcing a 21st-century online infrastructure.

At the same time, Nintendo should not run away screaming from the audience that made Wii so incredibly successful worldwide (which certain posters here oddly find a smart and sensible strategy). Proving this would entail:

4. Not abandoning proper motion control as an out-of-the-box feature in favor of an expensive DualShock/iPad hybrid.

Right now, I'm most optimistic about #1 (primarily due to Iwata's comments about "reinforcing the development resources in the foreign countries) and #4, not so much #2 and #3. At the end of the day, I think NCL is just too conservative and Japan-centric in its way of thinking to make the kinds of changes in the way it does business that would enable Nintendo to be fully competitive with Sony and Microsoft in all parts of the market.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
blu said:
Nintendo may use a hybrid tech which is akin to WirelessHD when line of sight is provided (delivering wide bandwidth, low latencies), and something more orthodox for the occasions when line of sight cannot be provided. Let's not forget bluetooth-based game controllers have been the norm for an entire generation now.

Possible, but again not very Nintendo at all. It's a messy solution, and if the selling-point of your console is to play games away from the TV it becomes less of a selling-point when your 60fps Mario game doesn't play as well doing it.

The data being sent with controllers is minuscule compared to streaming video. The controller has to receive a whole frame before it can display anything, the latency will be a lot greater especially on top of WiFi's normal latency.

And the more controllers you have, the more of a headache it becomes sending everything and keeping them all in sync. 4-player 60fps games would probably be a nightmare. Nintendo may have found a magical solution to all this when no one else has, but I'm not expecting it. And if they haven't solved all the issues, I doubt I'd want it anyway.

Whatever the angle of the system is, I doubt it's going to be streaming. Which then makes you wonder what the 6" screen is there for if that is correct. DS-style second-screen functions? Not really enough to focus a console around, unless they are going with a very powerful console and that is just the bonus. But Nintendo being Nintendo, it will probably be something we don't expect, just as you couldn't predict StreetPass and PlayCoins from just knowing the technology being used.

It's going to be how they apply the technology which is going to be the interesting part of E3.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Father_Brain said:
1. Revealing at least one major first-party-published title aimed squarely at the HD core market (preferably from a Western developer, preferably a new IP)
Your MP troll has not gone unnoticed. Repent now.

[Nintex] said:
Remember that the company who came up with the awesome GameCube and Super Mario Galaxy also came up with Wii Music and Wii Speak lol. I'm still going with way beyond Xbox 360 and PS3 especially if the thing costs up to $350 as rumored.

that's not related in my eyes. I'm talking about hardware. if the Cafe is only played on the controller screen, it prolly wouldnt be high definition, it wouldn't be a console, you still have the latency problem, you are playing on a 6" screen, and you have to worry about battery life. yea Nintendo made some stupid moves, but come on now

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really hope Nintendo does some unexpected announcement this week about the Cafe.

Hell, even just the official name would be enough.

Bisnic said:
I really hope Nintendo does some unexpected announcement this week about the Cafe.

Hell, even just the official name would be enough.

I would really like that to happen as well. Especially since I won't be anywhere near a computer from June 5th through June 17. I picked my vacation for the wrong couple of weeks ;)

Jackano

It's too soon this year's E3 for hoping any final name, release date and price. I don't understand why someone is hoping for it (or Ok maybe, maybe there is a little chance for the name but I truely don't expect it).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jackano said:
It's too soon this year's E3 for hoping any final name, release date and price. I don't understand why someone is hoping for it (or Ok maybe, maybe there is a little chance for the name but I truely don't expect it).

You'll get the name, and a release window.

This thing is playable by the public, and will be backed by a load of promotional videos at the unveiling like the Wii explaining the concept. The name, logo etc. is all part of the message of the console.

Next week is going to be too good... I don't know if my body is ready enough...

Nintendo conference + new console announcement + 3DS worldwide update = My body is not ready for that much awesomeness...

big_z

[Nintex] said:
I'm still going with way beyond Xbox 360 and PS3 especially if the thing costs up to $350 as rumored.

no you have to factor in nintendos blue ocean bullshit. it'll be slightly improved over the xbox so right there it will cost a tad more. then you add in the controller cost which increases the price and last you have to factor in nintendos profit. they make somewhere between $100-150 of pure profit on the 3DS. they will do the same with the cafe. there is nothing stopping them from doing it either since they can claim a new way to play on the most powerful console hardware out there.

we will get the final name, a rough price range they're aiming for(as in under X amount) and a launch quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom