• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Gotham Racing 4 - Photo Thread

Bebpo

Banned
6986e460-cf66-425a-a6e2-6e244c50968.jpg

Yeah, so basically I think the most impressive shots of the game are just the normal ones you see when playing. Unlike GT, the car models are pretty so-so and it's really the whole package of cars + environments + weather/lighting that makes it look like the best racing game in existence.

PGR3 was the game I used to show off my HDTV at X360 launch. PGR4 is the game I use to show off my HDTV now.

Also while I need 60fps in some genre like action games and fighters, at this point I'm perfectly fine with 30fps racers IF they can pull off 30fps + motion blur as well as PGR3/4 do. PGR4 feels so smooth and fast...

To me it seems like they went for a certain sortof stylized look instead of straight photo realism. The way some things are under/oversaturated makes the whole thing look kindof movie-ish. It seems odd to say about a racing game, but when you get the bikers and gestures they give and the lighting all playing off each other it actually feels kindof cinematic. Especially in the in-car cam.

Shaneus

WHOAguitarninja said:
To me it seems like they went for a certain sortof stylized look instead of straight photo realism. The way some things are under/oversaturated makes the whole thing look kindof movie-ish. It seems odd to say about a racing game, but when you get the bikers and gestures they give and the lighting all playing off each other it actually feels kindof cinematic. Especially in the in-car cam.
I'm thinking the same... almost a Sega-esque look to it, with blue blue skies and more idealic/stylized environments rather than the gritty look of say, Dirt or Forza 2.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that's crazy about the graphics in this game, is that PGR4 is the only game where the in-game graphics look better than the photomode pics.

I just did Tokyo in the snow and I tried pretty hard to get a pic that represented how amazing it looked, but the pics just don't capture the snow effect at all.

Bebpo said:
One thing that's crazy about the graphics in this game, is that PGR4 is the only game where the in-game graphics look better than the photomode pics.

I just did Tokyo in the snow and I tried pretty hard to get a pic that represented how amazing it looked, but the pics just don't capture the snow effect at all.

Agreed. It's tough to do this game justice. The ring in the snow just had my jaw on the floor the entire time (and when trying to get around it in once piece in that damn maserati quickly enough for the time...ensured I was retrying the event for a long time).

Niks

Wow this game looks fantastic!!!
The environments are top notch, the atmosphere of the tracks is really impressive.

But, I have to say, GT5 Prologue looks better....
But I guess we will have to wait and see in a few weeks when the Prologue demo comes out.
:D

itxaka

Defeatist
Niks said:

WTF is wrong with you people??

LEAVE GT5 OUT OF THIS FUCKING THREAD, THANKS.

By the way, i can´t get any decent photo, i sux at the photo mode. At least i got the photo of the 8 people jumping at the same time :p

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bebpo said:

Agreed. Screen shots just don't do many games justice anymore.

Niks said:
Wow this game looks fantastic!!!
The environments are top notch, the atmosphere of the tracks is really impressive.

But, I have to say, GT5 Prologue looks better....
But I guess we will have to wait and see in a few weeks when the Prologue demo comes out.
:D
No...you don't have to say it, you WANT to say it because you want to shit up this thread like every other gotham thread that ever gets started.

Look...people...if you're gonna compare the two, that's fine, just don't fucking do it in a gotham thread. EVERY time it happens it ruins the damn thread, yet people insist on doing it.

Here...have more pics.
6fpmc5.jpg

14kckr9.jpg

t6a1xh.jpg

"He came from outer space...."
2zyaale.jpg

LukeSmith said:
832k on Extreme.

Does it keep track of your score based on Extreme or Regular? I wonder because I got like... 550k or so while drunk and in the alcohol 'zone' and cant remember on which of the two difficulty settings it was.

chriskun

goddamn it, i have to fucking have this game based on the fact that it looks so good. having the bikes in there really bothers me though. If I haven't played PGR3, would that make this game a must buy???

This game is the definition of visual eye candy. If anyone is ever confused about what that word means, direct them to this thread.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
chespace said:
I love this guy. He just stands near my garage and checks out the ladies all day long. :lol

1486084051_572be269e2_o.jpg

1486083429_893d0b6bb3_o.jpg

am I seeing things or does this bear an eerie resemblance to Kaiser Hwang? lol

-viper-

Banned
Looks great. But is that what the ingame graphics really look like?

I know the Forza 2 screenshot function makes the game look a whole lot prettier than it actually does. Forza 2 was FULL of jaggies, crap environments, bland, and plastic cars.

WHOAguitarninja said:

I think you are right. Bizarre is creating some sort of hyper realistic image that works very well and fits into the arcade feel of the game.

-viper- said:

I know the Forza 2 screenshot function makes the game look a whole lot prettier than it actually does. Forza 2 was FULL of jaggies, crap environments, bland, and plastic cars.

It seems the game looks even better when playing it.

Forza2 screens were never all that good to begin with. The crappy compression and limited editing capabilities killed Forza 2's photomode for me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
-viper- said:

Same as photomode just with 2xAA.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Did you guys notice that other cars reflect in your car?

I couldnt' get it on picture, but I had this other one from few days back which I thought was nice. Used too much 'color' in the mixer, but it's still nice-ish. Also I don't have pretty widescreen for some reason.

2d76b11.jpg

p3tran

Banned
-viper- said:

in-game pics from tapout:
dsc04012lp8.jpg

dsc04041kq4.jpg

dsc04057kl5.jpg

and about forza, I think you are wrong!

imo the T10 guys are more tech-oriented and didnt really care for a good photomode or some nice replay camera placements.
photomode did almost zero things in favor of the game, images came out with stupid compression artifacts, cameras are wrong etc.
still remains the greatest racer, but things are like that regarding photomode/replay features.

EktorPR

I'm not a visual whore in any shape or form soo...oh, what the fuck. Who am I kidding? Ths game looks incredible. So incredible, in fact, that it got this "anti-racing" dude to ponder a purchase of an Xbox 360 along with this game. Kudos (no pun intented) to the people who have it and are currently enjoying it. And keep the pics coming!

Falch

EktorPR said:
I'm not a visual whore in any shape or form soo...oh, what the fuck. Who am I kidding? Ths game looks incredible. So incredible, in fact, that it got this "anti-racing" dude to ponder a purchase of an Xbox 360 along with this game. Kudos (no pun intented) to the people who have it and are currently enjoying it. And keep the pics coming!

I'm in the same boat, although I generally enjoy racing games. Just a quick question, PGR4 isn't as simlike as Gran Turismo, right? GT is a bit too hardcore for me.

This game, Ace Combat 6 and Mass Effect are really making me considering buying a 360.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Falch said:
I'm in the same boat, although I generally enjoy racing games. Just a quick question, PGR4 isn't as simlike as Gran Turismo, right? GT is a bit too hardcore for me.
PGR is the perfect mix of arcade and realism. Even though it's not at all a sim, the cars feel like they respond like they should when you accelerate/brake/turn, so it's not over the top like a Ridge Racer or even Sega Rally. You'll be able to play well in just a few minutes, but perfecting your racing lines will take a lot of work.

Top Bottom