• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus - Sony VR headset prototype - unveiled

I'm going to continue to think VR is the dumbest thing I've seen in gaming in a long while....that is until I try it for the first time, be blown away, and then subsequently change my mind. Kudos to Sony, I hope some cool stuff comes out of it to force me to change my mind.

Sentenza

This:

th

Or this:

fvchgCi.jpg

I'll take the comfy headband over the swimming goggles please.

Love the look of the Morpheus VR.
I'd take whatever works better and has more developers support. But maybe it's just me.

Sakura

Huh? Wasn't one of the Key Priorities "keep framerate high"? What PS4 games can do a consistent 1080p resolution, while having 60 frames per second? I assumed all VR games would be limited to 2 720p displays.

Nothing wrong with having a higher resolution. Games like Minecraft can make use of it. Other games can go 720p or 900p or something.

Metfanant

Only marginally curious in this thing...I already know its going to be more of an investment than I'm willing to make...

Certainly won't be buying this before I pick up an Xbone...

Sakujou

Banned
Stopped reading when they mentioned ps move. That works so goddamn awful... I dont think if this is working with the ps cam it works without flaws....
Eyetoy sucked, ps cam sucked and move sucked too. Didnt try the ps4cam but still a bad idea, but iam following this project.

The Cowboy

This is the most exciting thing this industry has done since the jump from 2D to 3D.
I don't think so - at least not yet. The jump from 2d to 3d was essentially aimed at everyone, these things in there current forms (and prices likely) are only aimed at a very niche selection of gamers.

This to me is currently no more exiting than the jump into 3d displays for gaming, which again was a very niche thing due to pricing and the needing of eyewear for all who wanted to see it who happen to be in the room.

harSon

Banned
I still don't see VR headsets catching on for multiple reasons.

First of all, it's a peripheral, and like all peripherals, it's doomed to subpar software support since it doesn't make sense to develop for a subset (those who own the peripheral) of a subset (those who own the platform in question).

Second of all, the price of entry is expensive. You have to have a Playstation 4. You have to have a Playstation Camera. And you have to have the VR peripheral, which is likely to be expensive in its own right.

And lastly, it's basically impossible to market/advertise. Unlike something like Kinect, you can't really convey the experience outside of actually experiencing it. It's basically limited to hands on impressions and word of mouth, which can definitely be a powerful form of advertisement, but not enough to carve out a legitimate market share.

Having said that, I definitely wish the technology the best since it's incredibly cool and definitely something I would LOVE to become an industry force.

That headset is pure sex. Personally, I want one, even though at home 3D makes me a bit woozy. I cannot wait to hear more details, price, release date, games in development.

sjay1994

Q/A

Sony will not discuss final specs as of yet.

When will it come out? Framerate and latency aims? They won't answer. "Highest framerate we can get, lowest latency we can get," they say, jokingly. "Coming out as soon as possible."

Will this be applicable for PC and other hardware? Only for PlayStation 4 for now

"Do you plan to use eyetracking inside the device?" They're researching it.

Does Morpheus have "mobile connectivity" for mobile phone or Vita? Takes "a lot of horsepower" to render the picture, so not likely.

Are VR games "graphically less intensive?" Is there "a reduction in graphical quality?" Sony says "it's different" because you're immersed.

Olaf

Banned
This will never actually come to production will it.

So many devices like this have been shown at CES and the like only to never see the light of day.

No reports on resolution/framerate/screen tech yet? That's kind of vital to the whole thing.

Oh I bet you will much more about that tomorrow when people get hands on impressions with it. Someone is going to be at the booth to show it off, set it up, show how it works. I am sure people will be grilling them with questions.

As for the resolution, well, we know there are a handful of "journalists" that cannot tell the difference in 720p and 1080p on a television, so I am sure they will not be able to tell with these either.

nampad

DEMOS!

m_5328f3ea323af_s.jpg

m_5328f41554e70_s.jpg

A castle and underwater demo are also available (Made by sony london)

Eve Valkyrie possibly on PS4? YEAH.
People raved so much about the EVE VR demo I want to play the game but my money will go to Sony instead of Oculus Rift because of the cheaper price of entry (including PC hardware).

Top Bottom