• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix: Squad-based RTS with Uematsu & industry veterans [Kickstarter Up]

Dali

Looks like bastion. Was hoping more Valkyria chronicles and less isometric chibi. Really wanted the character designs to be represented in the game. Don't know why I had such lofty expectations from an indie.

mrpeabody

For your guys' info, I did an interview with Hiroaki Yura. You can catch it here. He answered a lot of questions and concerns people had: http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/460-project-phoenix-interview-with-hiroaki-yura

Thanks, this is very informative.

He sure does have enthusiasm, and it sounds like he at least has thought about how the game will play. What he describes is similar to the hero-based missions in Starcraft or DoW. I personally wouldn't use the term RTS to describe a game with only hero units and no bases, but I see where he's coming from. He is up-front about his lack of actual game development experience, which is good. Still interested in hearing more about the unusual compensation system and the secrecy around some staff.

The bottom line is, he's getting his shot. Maybe the composer and the QA guy have a great game in them, who knows. Maybe managing a global team of 20 part-timers will be "easy" like he says. The great thing about Kickstarter is that usually somebody else will pay to find these things out. And if it really is the next great JRPG I can still buy a copy :).

mao2

Project Phoenix’s Director Explains Why it’ll be on PS4 and PS Vita and Not on Nintendo’s Consoles
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08...s4-and-ps-vita-and-not-on-nintendos-consoles/

The problem with Nintendo… You know, I like Nintendo and everything…but not a lot of people buy it. I know a lot of fans buy it, but there are so many restrictions with Nintendo, and also the fact that Nintendo in Japan does not accept indie games.

We think Nintendo is taking a wrong approach towards games like ours. I think maybe it has to do with the Kyoto culture…very old companies. Nintendo itself in Kyoto is not that old, because in Kyoto there are companies that survived for hundreds of years, and compared to them they’re relatively young, but in terms of video game industry they are very old. They have a set of rules that does not fit with the core values of our game, basically.

They have interesting hardware, but it ends at “interesting”. It’s not “exciting”.

Our main goal is not to publish on all consoles. Our main goal is to make the best game possible on the best platforms. The reason why we’re going to work on PlayStation 4 is because we’ve been asked by a very small publisher who wants to publish for PlayStation 4, and they’re passionate, and don’t want to influence our creative side. I agreed to that because they understood the intricacies of indie games’ development. That’s how it came to be with the PlayStation 4 and the Vita.

Karuto

Still interested in hearing more about the unusual compensation system and the secrecy around some staff.

For the first part, he pretty much mentioned that it's because they are all rather well off financially that they are able to do something like this as a pure passion project. On the second, it was addressed in the Kickstarter comments that this was due to contractual agreements that their names would not be revealed until a given moment. It could be, once again, down to the fact that this is something the lead developers are volunteering their free time until release, and are working on unannounced projects for the companies they currently work for.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...alent/comments?cursor=3976861#comment-3976860

Hedge

Incredibly sad to hear this won't be on a nintendo system, since I'd love to carry a game like this around with me. But I guess PC will be fine.

I hope it reaches the 650k mark. :)

*guy is good friend with*

- Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series
- Hiroki Kikuta, composer of Secret of Mana 1 and 2 and creator of Koudelka
- Vaughan Smith, QA analyst on L.A. Noire

*chooses Vaughan Smith as lead game designer*

Looks like bastion. Was hoping more Valkyria chronicles and less isometric chibi. Really wanted the character designs to be represented in the game. Don't know why I had such lofty expectations from an indie.

As I understand it, the story segments will have 3D character models that do reflect the concept art. The battles have the chibi style. Not ideal but it is a dichotomy I'm used to with classic RPGs and pretty comfortable with.

Karuto

Because Sakaguchi and Kikuta aren't busy running their own companies or anything.

ZoddGutts

New Update with more detail on the stretch goals:

The following information will help to explain our former and current stretch goals in greater detail. Thank you for your patience and continued support!

$300,000

We've already achieved this stretch goal, but let me elaborate a little on what this actually means for you and the game. Nobuo Uematsu, aside from composing the main theme of the game, will compose all major motifs. We will also be doubling every model in the game that we had formally planned to create; that's everything from NPCs & Monsters to Items & Props, etc.

I hope that clears everything up a bit. It's not as exciting as some of the later goals, but it helps us to not have to use the same model for everything. Otherwise we would have had to change the color scheme a bit ;)

Example:

LVL 1 Green Goblin

LVL 5 Blue Goblin

LVL 15 Red Goblin - Oooo Scary

$650,000

When we reach our next stretch goal, we will be able to make all the cities and towns completely explorable. This would provide a better experience than if you were limited to fast travel between the stores and main buildings of the towns.

We will also be able to implement the ability to customize all non-main playable characters. Hair colors and styles are just some of a few things we are considering for this function; it's still an early concept so there's no telling what else will be included.

$1,025,000

With this goal, Azuregard becomes unlocked for you to explore. It's not the same overworld that you may attribute to other JRPGs; your characters will not suddenly merge into each other and become one being. The same group of characters that you use to do battle will tactically roam the world, and when you stop, they will respond by taking up offensive/defensive positions specific to their class and character type. Much more information will be released in our gameplay update sometime next week.

I am limited as to what I can disclose about the Kraken storyline, as it closely ties into the main story of the game. However I can tell you that this enormous sea creature has been threatening a coastal fishing village in the far north of Azuregard. The adventures will briefly come across this monster, but when we reach this stretch goal we will be able expand the Kraken storyline into an arc of it's own.

$1,650,000

The Eminence Symphony Orchestra, Nobuo Uematsu, and John Kurlander will all be flown to Fox Studios in Sydney, Australia. Once there they will collaborate on the Project Phoenix music, and record all of the orchestral tracks for the game.

We will also be writing two additional zones into the story, as well as side stories for these areas. We have some ideas for what we want to include, and we will be able to release more information after this stretch goal is achieved.

We are also in the process of creating a $800,000 stretch goal that will provide additional rewards to mid-tier backers, as well as enhancing some of the content in the game.

We have future stretch goals already in mind, and will be releasing them as we continue to achieve our current goals.

I hope this information helps to more clearly state why we need your backing to reach our stretch goals, and create the best game possible.

-Cronus

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts

The following information will help to explain our former and current stretch goals in greater detail. Thank you for your patience and continued support!

$300,000

We've already achieved this stretch goal, but let me elaborate a little on what this actually means for you and the game. Nobuo Uematsu, aside from composing the main theme of the game, will compose all major motifs. We will also be doubling every model in the game that we had formally planned to create; that's everything from NPCs & Monsters to Items & Props, etc.

I hope that clears everything up a bit. It's not as exciting as some of the later goals, but it helps us to not have to use the same model for everything. Otherwise we would have had to change the color scheme a bit ;)
So Uematsu was only going to compose the main theme, à la FFXII? Well I'm glad this stretch goal has been achieved.

Gbraga

So Uematsu was only going to compose the main theme, à la FFXII? Well I'm glad this stretch goal has been achieved.

Me too but I wasn't too worried, the songs in the Kickstarter page are incredible.

And they should've detailed the stretch goals from the start, it makes a lot more sense now.

Guymelef

Interview:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/08/16/interview-project-phoenixs-hiroaki-yura-discusses-his-vision-for-the-game-jrpgs-ps4-and-more/

G: You’re negotiating with Sony a release of the game on PS4 and PS Vita, what are the reasons behind choosing those consoles instead of others like Nintendo’s or Microsoft’s platforms?
HY: The problem with Nintendo… You know, I like Nintendo and everything…but not a lot of people buy it. I know a lot of fans buy it, but there are so many restrictions with Nintendo, and also the fact that Nintendo in Japan does not accept indie games./

G: What are your plans for localization?
The localization in Italian, French, German and Spanish will be in the $2.175.000 stretch goal, which is the next stretch goal we’ll add.

Reveirg

New interview

I ask Yura if he's worried about Project Phoenix going up against Final Fantasy XV.

"We don't really care," he replies. "What we're doing and what they're doing is totally different. We don't think it's about the graphics, it's about the gameplay and how you tell the story. They're concentrating on how pretty it's going to look. We're not after the same thing."

Not sure we've watched the same interviews and trailers. Not sure it's smart to badmouth others games either.

Will players have the option to micromanage their characters if they want to? Yura tells me "no," but his answer came after some thought
"Have you played Starcraft and Warcraft?" he asks me. "You know those team missions where you don't have Barracks? You can't make new units, peons, or farmers? You do missions in small teams. [Project Phoenix] is basically that. That's the closest description I have for you; it's that and a little bit more."
"As I said, JRPGs are really about the story. It's not really about the combat.

Sounds to me like he doesn't know what a JRPG is either.

Hype just went way down =/ Still backing it though, I appreciate the initiative and we might get a decent game anyway.

Aeana

"As I said, JRPGs are really about the story. It's not really about the combat.

Funny, that's what people told me when I complained about Nier's combat.

Basically everything he said above makes me happy to avoid the game.

Datschge

It's like he's spouting text book examples about how much of the West sees JRPGs, not what parts make JRPGs actually shine without getting much recognition. Well, it's the kickstarter PR phase...

Won't back unless they add a Chris Avellone stretch goal....

tumblr_mcl5147hnl1r2ig4y09.gif

Looks like bastion. Was hoping more Valkyria chronicles and less isometric chibi.
are you talking about that in game concept art pic on the kickstarter page?
I certainly thought so when seeing it. but it's still pretty early so who knows...
everything else sounds so perfect though.

JDSN

Banned
It's like he's spouting text book examples about how much of the West sees JRPGs, not what parts make JRPGs actually shine without getting much recognition. Well, it's the kickstarter PR phase...

Seriously, its like Keiji Inafune is the producer of this.

wrowa

Funny, that's what people told me when I complained about Nier's combat.

I can enjoy an RPG that has only its story going for it from time to time, but his quote is especially hilarious if you take into account that the premise of the story sounds absolutely terrrible in their pitch.

yeah of course a lot of things are being simplified. they have to advertise it somehow.
but just saw the combat-related posts and I'm a little bummed now, I have to admit that much.
but " It's not really about the combat" can imply a lot. just because it isn't the primary focus of their presentation doesn't necessarily mean the combat will suck or won't be crafted in a solid fashion.
I mean their target audience is mainly comprised of oldschool gamers and stuff, they really shouldn't fuck that up too bad :/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Smith is his high school buddy.

The whole interview kind of make him sounds like he can make a good game just because he spent his entire life playing video game. He also got a lesson (a talk) with Sakaguchi, that's his jrpg background.

The story is being written by a novel writer with no prior experience with writing game story.

This kickstarter looks pretty high risk for me, I will look forward for the game, but going to pass on the kickstarter.

Fou-Lu

Gameplay sounds interesting, artstyle is nice, and excited for Uematsu, but.....

It doesn't really seem like a JRPG does it? Feels very generic outside of the art.

Smith is his high school buddy.

The whole interview kind of make him sounds like he can make a good game just because he spent his entire life playing video game. He also got a lesson (a talk) with Sakaguchi, that's his jrpg background.

The story is being written by a novel writer with no prior experience with writing game story.

This kickstarter looks pretty high risk for me, I will look forward for the game, but going to pass on the kickstarter.

What I find troublesome is that none of the AAA talent actually gets paid for their contribution, other than through royalties. I can't imagine these people putting their undivided attention to this if they aren't getting paid until at best 2015.

I'd rather they ask for more money, and pay them so that they can focus on this game rather than see it as a go between.

chrono01

I just pledged the $150 version, although I might down-pledge [I'm not entirely sure yet]. It was the last one available so I kind of jumped on it. I really love the artwork I've seen so far, so I needed that art book.

I'll pledge for Mighty No. 9 later today. :)

Edit - Apparently they still the have art book tier available, only for $155 instead of $155. I didn't see that prior.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't know about this one - I initially made a pledge, but I think this is a higher risk game project so while I'll definitely be interested in possibly getting it when it releases, I think I'm going to just wait and see on this one. Uematsu was definitely one of the major reasons I initially backed though. Pretty impressed that he's on board.

I was initially interested in this, but unlike Mighty no.9 his concept is just too vague. I get the feeling he wants to make a mash up of Warcraft and Fire Emblem. If I'm wrong, that just shows you how messy his KS description is.

Will watch but just too risky to invest in.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I was initially interested in this, but unlike Mighty no.9 his concept is just too vague. I get the feeling he wants to make a mash up of Warcraft and Fire Emblem. If I'm wrong, that just shows you how messy his KS description is.

Will watch but just too risky to invest in.

That's actually how I feel. I think the overall handling of the KS has been relatively poor so I'm not terribly confident on the ability to pull a project like this off. When Mighty No. 9 came out, that was essentially my reason for backing off of this project and investing in that one. I think that's a lot more safe in terms of actually getting a good product.

I also don't need to be backing too many KS projects. I've already backed Project Eternity, Hex: Shards of Fate, Massive Chalice, Ghost Journey, and now Mighty No. 9. That's me trying to be conservative too! =P

chrono01

Yeah, Mighty No. 9 definitely seems a lot more inspired and passionate, even if it's basically just a re-imagining of Mega Man. I have full confidence in that one, and will definitely be pledging my $99.

I'm a sucker for Physical Collector's Editions, though, and if Project Phoenix turns out to be amazing, I know I'll regret not backing it. :(

I have a few more days to decide, I might just end up cancelling my pledge. If only they had more concept art or the game running in beta, something I could get a feel for. The whole JRPG/squad-based RTS really confuses me. I'm not sure at all how it's going to play.

wilflare

Kickstarter Project Phoenix is now coming to PlayStation Platforms - Vita and PlayStation 4

In running this Kickstarter, if there’s one thing we’ve really come to appreciate, it’s your energy, enthusiasm, and, of course, your patience! After a lot of hard work on the back end, we can finally announce that Project Phoenix will officially be released on the Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita!

Over the past few weeks, we’ve received many messages, e-mails, and queries about the possibility of the game being released on the PS4 and PS Vita and now, after long negotiations and discussions, that wish has become a reality! So although not every single detail about the release has been finalized, we’re proud and excited at the prospect of developing for the Playstation platform.

So what does this all mean for those of you who are interested in getting a PS4 or PS Vita version of Project Phoenix? Well, we’re working on getting the pledge tiers ready through our Paypal donation page and will update you all accordingly when that's up and ready!

Those who have already backed it through Kickstarter and prefer a PS4 or PS Vita version, please stay tuned to the updates page and we'll have more information on how to make the change once we're up and running.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts/589592

Back it and ask for a Cross-Buy/Cross-Play version in the comments :p

Aurizen

I just got an email from them looks like we'll get a console version and it may be possible to claim any version we want. PS4, Vita and PC

zeopower6

Oo, PS4/Vita confirmed.

Also, Kickstarters always tend to get a surge in the last 48 hours due to the reminders being sent out, so this still has a chance of making quite a bit.

I hope they put PS4/Vita in the banner image.

Top Bottom