• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Phoenix: Squad-based RTS with Uematsu & industry veterans [Kickstarter Up]

Aurizen

Oo, PS4/Vita confirmed.

Also, Kickstarters always tend to get a surge in the last 48 hours due to the reminders behing sent out, so this still has a chance of making quite a bit.

I hope they put PS4/Vita in the banner image.

i hope they make 1,025,000

Usobuko

Banned
I didn't back this so I don't follow remember much of the details. Wasn't there a tier after $1.025 million? Was that for a console/handheld port?

Anyway, congrats on hitting the goals and reaching to the PS4/Vita owners.

mao2

ed7cc2e794988bcdb4125374a9cbf8d3_large.jpg

Cute.

Momentary

Banned
So this game is strictly a single player experience? If I spend 120 on the kickstarter doesn't the second game get the mount and the wings?

clem84

Gold Member
I just backed the project at the 150$ level. The amount of stuff you get sounds amazing.

Seeing the size of this thread and the amount of money they gathered in almost a month, I'm surprised this KS isn't getting more attention. I thought gamers in general, and especially GAF, would be all over a project like this. Anyway... Another game that's about a year and a half away... Gonna be a long wait.

Einbroch

Banned
I just backed the project at the 150$ level. The amount of stuff you get sounds amazing.

Seeing the size of this thread and the amount of money they gathered in almost a month, I'm surprised this KS isn't getting more attention. I thought gamers in general, and especially GAF, would be all over a project like this. Anyway... Another game that's about a year and a half away... Gonna be a long wait.
I think that's because they've shown nothing of the game. Nothing. A bullshit Mighty No. 9 level "screenshot" would do wonders.

I think that's because they've shown nothing of the game. Nothing. A bullshit Mighty No. 9 level "screenshot" would do wonders.

That and the fact no real veterans -- let alone RPG veterans -- are actually working on the "game" (as in the gameplay, not counting music and concept art).

Dali

Ummm they have shown a mockup. It looks like any other japanese strategy RPG only with free movement rather than grids.

Edit:
waTo9sa.jpg

chrono01

I want to pledge to this, but I'd like to know more about it first. If I pledge it will be for the $120 [or $155, I haven't decide, I do like the art...] since I need a physical copy [with all of the bonus goodies].

With Mighty No. 9, we know what we're getting. An old-school Japanese 2D action game akin to Mega Man. That's all I need to convince me. With Project Phoenix, though, it sound as though they're attempting to do something different, which can be a good or bad thing [depending]. And they still have "unannounced" team members? Seriously? If these people are as popular as the small description would lead you to believe, why not make the information available?

For Mighty No. 9 I had no reservations whatsoever in putting down my $500 pledge. For this, though, I hesitate to even put down $120. I guess I'll need to decide soon, since it only has a few more hours to go...

Edit - I looked up more interviews and, after some thought, I decided to pass. It just doesn't seem cohesive enough for me, which is probably why they haven't shown anything outside of art. It seems a bit risky for me to invest as much money as I was planning too. It sounds as thought it's a JRPG from aesthetics and that's about it. Even the crew behind the project don't seem to have a whole lot of experience, outside of Nobuo Uematsu, of course.

Purkake4

Banned
Probably. I was talking mostly about the visuals moreso than gameplay. It's isometric chibi with no grids. I think I called it a cross between fft and bastion in my first post.
Ok, aesthetically it does look like that. The RTS aspect is totally putting me off though.

Momentary

Banned
What the hell is up with these impossible to reach new tears. I can see this game getting 1.6 million... but over 4 mill in 32hrs? nope

ezekial45

Banned
What the hell is up with these impossible to reach new tears. I can see this game getting 1.6 million... but over 4 mill in 32hrs? nope

I think they did that just show off some ideas they had in mind for the game and to encourage the last minute pledging.

It won't make those new goals, obviously, but it can still reach the first million dollar goal.

Coiote

Backed this project because I like SRPGs, indie games and Vita, but I didn't actually follow this kickstarter. Will I regret this, gaf?

What is the veredict on this kickstarter? Legit?

chrono01

Backed this project because I like SRPGs, indie games and Vita, but I didn't actually follow this kickstarter. Will I regret this, gaf?

What is the veredict on this kickstarter? Legit?
My hesitation is that they seem to be relatively ambitious, but nothing to really show for it. Aside from the concept art, we really don't know what the game will be like, and even the entire team behind it hasn't been unveiled yet.

My major complaint with it is that for what it claims to be [an "indie JRPG"] it seems more to be a Western-styled game with a Japanese aesthetic. All of the people handling the gameplay portions are, more-or-less, from the West, while the art/story is being handled in Japan. That might all well and good, but I don't particularly enjoy Western RPG's, and the promise of squad-based gameplay worries me. I would have been much happier if it were turn-based.

Since I'm already backing Mighty No. 9 [$500 pledge] I'm questioning whether I should pledge the $120 for the physical Collector's Edition. I really do like the art, but what good will it be if the actual game isn't enjoyable? Regarding Mighty No. 9, I already know what I'll be getting [since it's essentially an established genre, and it's by the father of Mega Man himself!], but for Project Phoenix [a game promising to do so many new things] I need to know more before I commit.

It doesn't help that they're being somewhat deceiving in stating the game that the team has worked on previously but not the roles they were assigned. Some only had minor jobs such as QA, while the Director/Producer [who worked on Steins;Gate] was only a violinist doing the music.

10 hours to go.

using the updated KS and old Paypal we are at 941,504. we need about 83,496 to reach the next goal (Fully explorable overworld complete with an upgraded combat transition) hope they make it.

Usobuko

Banned
5 hours left, 952k on KS. Not sure how much on PayPal though.

I don't know if I should back this so that the explorable overworld tier is hit.

Istaerion

Current Kickstarter number is:

$975,017

So it is about 15k from the stretch goal now? Or is my math off?

Last update had them at $43,611 for PayPal.

Coupled alongside the current KS total of $978,599, the explorable overworld is pretty much guaranteed at this rate with ~$3400 missing.

Coiote

Last update had them at $43,611 for PayPal.

Coupled alongside the current KS total of $978,599, the explorable overworld is pretty much guaranteed at this rate with ~$3400 missing.

$43,611 for PayPal? The kickstarter is currently at $981,845, so I guess they are just about to reach the goal. Such a close call. So glad the overworld is in.

TDLink

It reached the explorable overworld stretch goal. About two hours left.

Glad we at least got it to that goal. Unfortunatley any other stretch goals are extremely unlikely at this point. Still really pleased that it got this far though. Looking forward to playing the Alpha next year.

injurai

Banned
Have the announced the Lead Programmer and Art Supervisor yet? Seems they are lined up but for reasons have not been revealed, quite possibly due to high profile work on other projects.

Top Bottom