• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

ALERT: Late spoilers from one of the games you mentioned

https://youtu.be/R_D70IEFqV4?t=44m12s

Nope nope nope, I have yet to finish QB. Got to the second to last chapter and took a break and still need to continue with it. I'd say it's been a few months.

But didn't QB sadly sold really really bad? Can't even blame MS that much for not wanting to bother with a sequel then. I do wish they would work with Remedy again, even if they take really really long to make things. No disrespect meant to them at all.

Ori and the will of the wisps.

That's the one. Oh man I am always ready for a new Ori game. Imagine that game in 4K, hell it looks fantastic in 1080p already, the first one. But if it turns out to be false and is a new IP.... sweet as well!

Probably Crackdown.

Crackdown in 4K? I'll take it. I wonder how the ingame graphics look because we haven't exactly seen much of the game but I am hoping it looks similar to when the main guy looks over the city in that one video. I really want this game to be damn good. And I especially hope for a worthwhile singleplayer.

Colbert

Banned
This one turned into a Sony fanboy comfort thread too?

It's pointless locking threads mods when you just let the babies start wailing again 5 minutes later.

Can we talk about Scorpio and potential specs and not how amazing Sony is?

This says more about you.

You can ask the thread to stop derailing in a nice way, or you can do what you just did lol.

Dee Dah Dave is on point imo.

As I wrote just an hour ago:
NeoGAF, The Art Of Derail Threads (TM)

To be on topic, my expectations what I want to get as an info from DF articles:
- CPU technology used (Jag ... Zen)
- # of physical cores & SMT yes/no
- CPU clock
- GPU technology used (Polaris ... Vega)
- GPU clock
- # of Stream Processors
- # of ROPs
- any other Co-processors, what they do (for instance audio)
- # of HDMI ports
- # of USB 3.1 gen 1 or gen 2 ports
- hdd interface used internally (SATA3, USB)
- supposed internal hdd type

Nice to have:
- how BC of Xbox One games is achieved technology wise (no a real expectation)

Raide

I am wondering which games will be shown for the Xbox One to Scorpio upgrade. Thinking Battlefield 1 would be a good one. High end PC version looks stunning, so Scorpio owners can expect that.

What else do people think might be good games to show off?

SMH. You missing the point here.

No I'm just correcting people when they think the likes of Nintendo have always been about Videogames, they haven't and also remember how SONY used to view the consoles.
But they I started gaming life before the Playstation generation in the Zx Spectrum days and the Zx Spectrum was a change of direction for Sir Clive!

Microsoft are no different

Colbert

Banned
No I'm just correcting people when they think the likes of Nintendo have always been about Videogames, they haven't and also remember how SONY used to view the consoles.
But they I started gaming life before the Playstation generation in the Zx Spectrum days and the Zx Spectrum was a change of direction for Sir Clive!

Microsoft are no different
Nobody was talking about how those companies started. I specifically was describing the current situation in response "MS is not a gaming company". Before you want "correct" other people here as a junior you should learn to read what is written.

added to ignore list

Dee Dah Dave is on point imo.

As I wrote just an hour ago:
NeoGAF, The Art Of Derail Threads (TM)

To be on topic, my expectations what I want to get as an info from DF articles:
- CPU technology used (Jag ... Zen)
- CPU clock
- GPU technology used (Polaris ... Vega)
- GPU clock
- # of Stream Processors
- # of ROPs
- any other Co-processors, what they do (for instance audio)
- # of HDMI ports
- # of USB 3.1 gen 1 or gen 2 ports

Nice to have:
- how BC of Xbox One games is achieved technology wise

This is what I hope they'll talk about as well, also hopefully they decide to put at least 1 USB Type C port in.

Be interesting to see if they do drop the HDMI in port for TV. I think they will eventually but not with a 'One Family' device.

I wonder if they can dual purpose it. TV in and VR out. Is that possible?

Hoo-doo

Banned
This one turned into a Sony fanboy comfort thread too?

It's pointless locking threads mods when you just let the babies start wailing again 5 minutes later.

Can we talk about Scorpio and potential specs and not how amazing Sony is?

The fuck? It's pretty natural for a topic on Scorpio to diverge into the state of the current console industry. The thing isn't releasing in a vacuum, and it's only natural for the upcoming Xbox one upgrade to be compared to it's direct competitor.

Like it or not, but there's more to talk about with Scorpio than just it's specs. I think it's far more interesting to discuss it's potential in the market. And yeah, Sony does play a big part in that market.

If you truly feel these are all fanboys trying to talk about 'how amazing Sony is', I think you're missing the forest for the damn trees.

I specifically was describing the current situation in response "MS is not a gaming company".

Is Fromsoftware a gaming corp? even thought it started life out making Office software,very much like MS.

The ignorance of the PlayStation generation is something else

jelly

Be interesting to see if they do drop the HDMI in port for TV. I think they will eventually but not with a 'One Family' device.

Sure they'll have stats on how many people use it and go from there.

MaulerX

I hope that they not only keep it, but improve on the lag. From what Jez said on the podcast it seems like they're keeping it though.

Colbert

Banned
This is what I hope they'll talk about as well, also hopefully they decide to put at least 1 USB Type C port in.

have added some points to the original list:

- # of physical cores & SMT yes/no
- hdd interface used internally (SATA3, USB)
- supposed internal hdd type

The fuck? It's pretty natural for a topic on Scorpio to diverge into the state of the current console industry. The thing isn't releasing in a vacuum, and it's only natural for the upcoming Xbox one upgrade to be compared to it's direct competitor.

Like it or not, but there's more to talk about with Scorpio than just it's specs. I think it's far more interesting to discuss it's potential in the market. And yeah, Sony does play a big part in that market.

If you truly feel these are all fanboys trying to talk about 'how amazing Sony is', I think you're missing the forest for the damn trees.

No, there's a million threads for that already, although one would suffice. And all of them devolve into pathetic list wars with little in the way of sensible conversation.

This thread is about the upcoming reveal of the Scorpio specs and what they might entail. It doesn't require any other 'input'.

knerl

I am wondering which games will be shown for the Xbox One to Scorpio upgrade. Thinking Battlefield 1 would be a good one. High end PC version looks stunning, so Scorpio owners can expect that.

Well. It would be cool if they beefed up Halo 5 in all departments.
That game would greatly benefit from the extra power I think.

For a while I had my Chromecast plugged into the HDMI-In, then I got a second TV and it got repurposed. Even though I don't use that port these days, I would still like to see it return.

Considering it happens in every single thread, I can understand his frustration.
So do I, definitely. Not sure if calling people babies is going to get anything accomplished though. Just my two cents.

Raide

Well. It would be cool if they beefed up Halo 5 in all departments.
That game would greatly benefit from the extra power I think.

Yeah, would be interesting to see if they up the resolution. A few saw the resolution drops when it scaled, so hopefully it will be much higher and less prone to drops.

Would also love to see them sort the distance animation frame drops as well.

Colbert

Banned

I would say that would require a switch of some kind. In the OG Xbox One you can see lanes from HDMI In going to the southbridge and lanes to the HDMI Out coming from the SOC. If they keep that design such a solution would also need additional lanes going from the SOC to that interface. The more you go into detail the more complicated it gets :)

Sony

Nintendo
I know that Scorpio won't need it due to it horsepower, but man do I hope that Microsoft bring back the sharpness filter as a toggle for the Xbox One. The sharpness increased the jaggies in some instances but gives the illusion of higher res textures. Its effect on Killer Instinct was pretty good. I didn't like it when MS removed it altogether, would have loved if they kept it as an option.

I would say that would require a switch of some kind. In the OG Xbox One you can see lanes from HDMI In going to the southbridge and lanes to the HDMI Out coming from the SOC. If they keep that design such a solution would also need additional lanes going from the SOC to that interface. The more you go into detail the more complicated it gets :)

Yeah anything is possible I guess. I just thought they need a port for VR and they already have one which I guess isn't used by most people. I think they will want to avoid a big breakout box or something like that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I know that Scorpio won't need it due to it horsepower, but man do I hope that Microsoft bring back the sharpness filter as a toggle for the Xbox One. The sharpness increased the jaggies in some instances but gives the illusion of higher res textures. Its effect on Killer Instinct was pretty good. I didn't like it when MS removed it altogether, would have loved if they kept it as an option.

Why not up the sharpness setting on your TV if you're hell-bent on ruining the image?

gaming_noob

Fallout 4, Battlefront 2, Assassin's Creed. I think 3rd parties will probably want to show off their titles on this device to help with perception of how great their games can look. Good marketing.

horkrux

I dont think people will care about a 2 years old game.

Yes they do! :(

Ideally they would patch most if not all of their games. This is something Sony did wrong. They were terribly selective about this, which is why I'm still debating whether to get a Pro or not.
They should also use some of that cash of theirs to have big 3rd party titles be patched.

owasog

Are 8 Zen cores even possible in an APU? And if those are too big, would AMD design a completely new core just for Microsoft? I mean, isn't overclocked Jaguar the only practical solution?

Man I forgot about that. That was super gross. The games looked so much better with it off lol.
Early XBO was a weird time.

GHG

Gold Member
No, it'll be one of their most important divisions due to the fan-nature of gaming and the nature of the brand with consumers.

Considering Satya has affirmed time again how important Xbox is to MS, and even had a picture with Coalition with all the division heads related to Xbox. Just little things like that show how much they're behind it.

That's my point, it's "one of the divisions" not THE division for Microsoft. If they had to decide tomorrow to only take one division forward and shut down the rest, that division that choose to keep would not be Xbox.

Sony recently became that game centric because the other divisions did not work so well regarding marketshare and profit. Before those cuts Sony was as diversified as Microsoft is but with the big difference that Sony always was a consumer electronics company and Microsoft is an IT & Software company. Or in other words Sony is used to deal with the consumer electronics segment while Microsoft is not used to it other than with Xbox and now with Surface (a little bit).

And if we talk "game companies", by this definition the only real game company is Nintendo as they don't do anything else like Sony and MS do.

My post wasn't about history, it's about the here and now and how these divisions are seen within their respective companies today. Could Microsoft one day become like Sony and Nintendo where they focus the vast majority of their companies efforts on gaming? Yes. Is it likely? Not really.

Raide

Fallout 4, Battlefront 2, Assassin's Creed. I think 3rd parties will probably want to show off their titles on this device to help with perception of how great their games can look. Good marketing.

Good point. The AC series should look stunning with the extra power and, hopefully, stable frame rates.

Really surprised they didn't include PiP TV from the get-go on the new update. From all the TV, TV, TV era, the in-built guide/HDMI in and snapping functionality was something they did super well.

PiP blows, I don't want anything covering up bits of the game window. I'm either gaming on a projector or at my desk where I'm close to the screen, I can spare the real estate for snapped mode :(

Man I forgot about that. That was super gross. The games looked so much better with it off lol.

The OS at launch was so fucking terrible, my Kinect broke after a couple weeks and I still have nightmares of that week I spent trying to navigate the dash with the pad alone.

leeh

That's my point, it's "one of the divisions" not THE division for Microsoft. If they had to decide tomorrow to only take one division forward and shit down the rest, that division that choose to keep would not be Xbox.
Well that scenario will never happen and all the divisions have dependancies on each other, XBL uses Azure, ties into W10, etc.

If anything, it's in their top-tier.

leeh

PiP blows, I don't want anything covering up bits of the game window. I'm either gaming on a projector or at my desk where I'm close to the screen, I can spare the real estate for snapped mode :(
Ah, I'm the opposite. I prefer PiP as I'd rather see the game full-scale with just an overlay which you could hopefully make translucent. Can understand why you don't with a projector.

Popsickles

Gross

I'm amazed they haven't added TV PiP from the get go, that seems like the most obvious use for it apart from cheevos. Not on the to do list either apparently.

Makes me think it takes too much performance or something, but that seems odd too.

Sony

Nintendo
Why not up the sharpness setting on your TV if you're hell-bent on ruining the image?

I prefer a native (ironic, I know) solution like Xbox One native upscaler and native sharpening.

Did they though? I don't want to derail the thread, I hope this is ok in context of discussing tech in this thread:

Titanfall: Before removing filter vs. after removing filter
TFBeforeAfter.gif

Killer instinct:
KIBeforeAfter.gif

Again, it's a tradeoff and personal preference, but I preferred the images with the filter on :)

Colbert

Banned
My post wasn't about history, it's about the here and now and how these divisions are seen within their respective companies today. Could Microsoft one day become like Sony and Nintendo where they focus the vast majority of their companies efforts on gaming? Yes. Is it likely? Not really.

I wasn't talking about history either, it was about recent events that resulted into what Sony is right now. I agree that MS is not becoming an game centric company as the gross profit margins are just so much better in the software and IT service business. The difference will remain that Sony is first & foremost a entertainment & consumer electronics company and MS is first & foremost an Software & IT service company.

That sharpening filter was awful, come on man.

It was like some idiotic idea from a Microsoft suit to 'overcome' the resolution difference.

Popsickles

I prefer a native (ironic, I know) solution like Xbox One native upscaler and native sharpening.

Did they though? I don't want to derail the thread, I hope this is ok in context of discussing tech in this thread:

Titanfall: Before removing filter vs. after removing filter
TFBeforeAfter.gif

Killer instinct:
KIBeforeAfter.gif

Again, it's a tradeoff and personal preference, but I preferred the images with the filter on :)

Those shots are clearly bull shit a sharping filter does not add detail. They have been artificially softened.

Colbert

Banned
I'm amazed they haven't added TV PiP from the get go, that seems like the most obvious use for it apart from cheevos. Not on the to do list either apparently.

Makes me think it takes too much performance or something, but that seems odd too.

I think (and I explained in another thread) that they have not figured out yet to make it happen with the changes they recently made to the underlaying application lifecycle system. The actual System reserve which cannot be used by game OS games might be not sufficient to render a TV or a Movie signal into the screen even as overlay. Just my assumption.

ViciousDS

Banned
Sucks though, quantum break was one of my favorite titles this gen. Ashmore and little fingers performance I thought were fantastic. Plus ashmore knows how to actually play video games and is a perfect person to actually talk and show it off. I really hope they do a sequel and he comes back. Maybe add more gameplay this time around. It felt like you didn't really get enough time to actually use your powers once you got them all.

Oh god people are defending that piece of shit sharpening filter? What the actual hell!

I don't think i ever had the sharpening filter because Xbox One officially released a year later in The Netherlands. I do like to keep sharpness on my TV at 10 though. So many people recommend to use it on 0 but that's just not good looking at all. Hell i even use super resolution at high in several games. Games like Mafia 3 are blurry as hell if that setting is disabled but when enabled it's a world of difference, i love it.

Newlove

What if all this was inaccurate sources and nothing really happens on Thursday despite all the hype in this thread. To be honest I'm not assuming anything will, so it will be a surprise.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Really surprised they didn't include PiP TV from the get-go on the new update. From all the TV, TV, TV era, the in-built guide/HDMI in and snapping functionality was something they did super well.

It's funny because people absolutely railed against Microsoft for their multi media agenda and now people are getting upset they took some of it away.

Top Bottom