• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Bulby

What if it's Wired and not DF? MS has used them in the past for exclusive reveals and what not.

On the podcast they said something along the lines of 'A well known tech site beginning in bleep and ending in bleep'.

Bleeped out but very much alluding to DF

If MS are pushing Scorpio as an upgrade, like PS4 Pro (which seems to be the case) then I expect the CPU to be a Jaguar and GPU will probably be Polaris based, to keep the cost down as much as possible. No point spending lots of money on Zen and Vega, if it's aimed at a smaller audience, just like PS4 Pro is. I think Zen and Vega will be used on the real next gen systems (PS5 ect) as they will be cheaper for them to use then.

The extra 1.8 Tflops GPU power (over PS4 Pro) and more RAM will help run games with slightly better graphics or native 4k, with better textures ect, so games should look really good but I don't expect to be blown away by anything because PS4 Pro and PC already have great graphics and Scorpio will fall somewhere between them.

The actual games are going to be the key thing, as this is one area where MS are behind. I'm looking forward to seeing Crackdown but I would love to see more new IP's from them. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and ReCore might not have been massive hits and it's a shame Scalebound didn't work out but it's a step in the right direction, hopefully a few misses doesn't stop them looking for their next big hit.

Is it Thursday already?

Nope nope nope, I have yet to finish QB. Got to the second to last chapter and took a break and still need to continue with it. I'd say it's been a few months.
What you are doing man? I just go back to it and finish it! The last chapters are insane story wise and have some of the best fights.

But didn't QB sadly sold really really bad? Can't even blame MS that much for not wanting to bother with a sequel then. I do wish they would work with Remedy again, even if they take really really long to make things. No disrespect meant to them at all.
I think it's less about total sales and more about reception. Game reviewed very poorly for absolutely no reason, and gamers got so round up to the 720p debacle. And then the win store release wasn't the best to say the least.

And unlike Alan Wake, by the time it came to steam no one cared.

scoobs

They tried some new IP this gen and each one kind of fell flat in its own way. Nothing truly new or innovative or excellent, just .. good or OK.

Gotta find that smash hit idea, hopefully that will be Sea of Thieves, but I'm afraid that game is just not going to be for me given how focused on multiplayer it is.

scoobs

Is it Thursday already?

What you are doing man? I just go back to it and finish it! The last chapters are insane story wise and have some of the best fights.

I think it's less about total sales and more about reception. Game reviewed very poorly for absolutely no reason, and gamers got so round up to the 720p debacle. And then the win store release wasn't the best to say the least.

I'm going to go ahead and be the one to say it, there were reasons. Read the reviews.

If MS are pushing Scorpio as an upgrade, like PS4 Pro (which seems to be the case) then I expect the CPU to be a Jaguar and GPU will probably be Polaris based, to keep the cost down as much as possible. No point spending lots of money on Zen and Vega, if it's aimed at a smaller audience, just like PS4 Pro is. I think Zen and Vega will be used on the real next gen systems (PS5 ect) as they will be cheaper for them to use then.

The extra 1.8 Tflops GPU power (over PS4 Pro) and more RAM will help run games with slightly better graphics or native 4k, with better textures ect, so games should look really good but I don't expect to be blown away by anything because PS4 Pro and PC already have great graphics and Scorpio will fall somewhere between them.

The actual games are going to be the key thing, as this is one area where MS are behind. I'm looking forward to seeing Crackdown but I would love to see more new IP's from them. Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and ReCore might not have been massive hits and it's a shame Scalebound didn't work out but it's a step in the right direction, hopefully a few misses doesn't stop them looking for their next big hit.

Wouldn't make sense. They'd have to overclock a Polaris GPU and that doesn't happen in the console space. I'm expecting Vega and either excavator or new power efficient Ryzen.

I'm going to go ahead and be the one to say it, there were reasons. Read the reviews.
I remember people disliking how the TV show break from the action, which was optional. And saying that it was a bad cover shooter which the game even isn't.

Then you have reviews like giant bomb that invented bugs to trash the game and to hide the fact they sucked at the game.

But you are right. There were reasons, just not good ones.

Wouldn't make sense. They'd have to overclock a Polaris GPU and that doesn't happen in the console space. I'm expecting Vega and either excavator or new power efficient Ryzen.

The cheapest 8 core Ryzen chip is not exactly super cheap though right now, unless MS plan on taking a hit on the cost or they plan on dropping down to a 4 core Ryzen CPU (seems unlikely)

Thorrgal

He probably presumed it was a leak until getting wind that it was actually a collaboration.

Maybe..or maybe MS reached out to DF and offered them to test the real nachine, not the 80% version they had. Or that is also not true?

The DF reveal seems a little weird, as is all the noise around it, the head of XBox France chiming in, Jez tweets etc, and this would explain it.

Mb I'm wrong ofc ;)

Is it Thursday already?

Damn it's that good huh? Guess I'll continue with this one now that I have finished Mafia 3. But all in all it's just sad what happened. What the game set out to do it did really well. Although if it had been up to me, no TV show and make those gameplay chapters instead.

The 80% is just because the SDK isn't finished yet. The actual test hardware will be the same as final release, it's just not fully optimised yet.

Damn it's that good huh? Guess I'll continue with this one now that I have finished Mafia 3.

Honestly, if you haven't played it in that long I'd go back and restart from an earlier spot. The story is actually great and a lot of the later action ties back fantastically into things that happen in the earlier stages of the game.

I hope you've been nabbing all the collectibles, they genuinely add a lot to the story and do a terrific job of fleshing out the characters in the TV episodes.

If the PC version is fixed I should play through it again.

The cheapest 8 core Ryzen chip is not exactly super cheap though right now, unless MS plan on taking a hit on the cost or they plan on dropping down to a 4 core Ryzen CPU (seems unlikely)

But that chip is not what MS would acquire or put in a console. It's pretty much a given that it will be an AMD APU in the box just like the other current gen Sony/MS consoles. I think he main issue against Ryzen in project Scorpio is timing. Specifically, was/is the tech ready for a fall launch this year?

Honestly, if you haven't played it in that long I'd go back and restart from an earlier spot. The story is actually great and a lot of the later action ties back fantastically into things that happen in the earlier stages of the game.

I hope you've been nabbing all the collectibles, they genuinely add a lot to the story and do a terrific job of fleshing out the characters in the TV episodes.

If the PC version is fixed I should play through it again.

Yep. I've been collecting every single collectable so far. If I hadn't I would have been flying through these chapters. That was my biggest beef with the game last year, the chapters are just too brief and it's a shame because the combat shootouts are awesome.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't think i ever had the sharpening filter because Xbox One officially released a year later in The Netherlands. I do like to keep sharpness on my TV at 10 though. So many people recommend to use it on 0 but that's just not good looking at all. Hell i even use super resolution at high in several games. Games like Mafia 3 are blurry as hell if that setting is disabled but when enabled it's a world of difference, i love it.

An actual shiver ran down my spine. I don't know how you can stand that shit with the excessive contrast distortion caused by artificial sharpness.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
But that chip is not what MS would acquire or put in a console. It's pretty much a given that it will be an AMD APU in the box just like the other current gen Sony/MS consoles. I think he main issue against Ryzen in project Scorpio is timing. Specifically, was/is the tech ready for a fall launch this year?

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. To announce what's in the box as a definite this far out they would need to be sure it could be done. I can see them changing certain things at the last minute if needed as they've done before such as RAM though. We'll have to see how this all plays out soon.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Hurry up Thursday. So sloooooow....
The wait wouldn't be so bad if Phil or Larry confirmed something will happen this week. It's less than two days until April 6 now, so I hope they will comment very soon (with actual info).

Maybe..or maybe MS reached out to DF and offered them to test the real nachine, not the 80% version they had. Or that is also not true?

The DF reveal seems a little weird, as is all the noise around it, the head of XBox France chiming in, Jez tweets etc, and this would explain it.

Mb I'm wrong ofc ;)

Not strange at all.

DF did the deep dive on the Xbox One S at launch. MS even provided them with special shots of the internals.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. To announce what's in the box as a definite this far out they would need to be sure it could be done. I can see them changing certain things at the last minute if needed as they've done before such as RAM though. We'll have to see how this all plays out soon.

I agree that it is definitely possible. They are right on the cusp of ryzen based APUs. Everything I've seen has the timeframe of late 2017/early 2018 for that technology. So project Scorpio may be one of the first and release early in that window. I definitely don't think it is a Jaguar based CPU. There was much talk about system balance in the reveal. I don't see balancing a 6 TF GPU with a Jaguar CPU.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Rösti;233332034 said:
The wait wouldn't be so bad if Phil or Larry confirmed something will happen this week. It's less than two days until April 6 now, so I hope they will comment very soon (with actual info).

Ya I was wondering the same. How come no hype? Is it supposed to be a surprised spec reveal. Who would that benefit. They can just say there will be something on Thursday and just with that all the tech site can run with that headline for today.

massucci

Banned
Isn't it RyZen priced 300 $ minimum? I mean, I don't see it affordable this year, even if the tech is ready (which is not in the AMD plans). This console would be incredibly expensive and Ryzen it's almost useless with the baseline tied on xbone. I hope this console specs push me to buy another Xbox but I think to have absurd expectations not help in the future perspective.

Dude, it's a Vega GPU with some Navi, and even beyond that, enhancements. Bank on it.

Might have been all secretive because they dont want it to leak beforehand, like so much other stuff has. But then Jez has thrown a spanner in the works and we basically know where it's coming from.

Someone could still break into Digital Foundry office though, there's time!

Ah, I assumed you cranked it to maximum, which really kills image quality.

Neeeeeeever, haha. Oh man that would be about 50 Sharpness. That's absolutely insanity :)

Dude, it's a Vega GPU with some Navi, and even beyond that, enhancements. Bank on it.

This is a good step up from Jaguar that is in the Xbox One? It would be such a waste if MS actually didn't bother with a better CPU at all and just go with the X1 Jaguar again.

TheScarecrow101

Neo Member
Even with the wait becoming a hour to hour distraction, I am really lookimg forward to seeing what the Scorpio is spec wise. Remembering back to the dreamcast and ps2 era, the specs gave this baseline of what things could look like (anyone remember the rubber ducks?) then followed by the first look at games taking advantage of the hardware. My thoughts are that MS have gone back to the Xbox 360 era of thinking about hardware. Let the hardware be as powerful as possible and let their software and dev tools be the complimentary layer that gets the best performance.

I will say, i think CPU wise, 2 x 4 zen core in the same config as the xbox one/xbox one S config. I do not know enough to be sure if it is possible but after reading "The race for a new game machine" by David Shippy and Mickie Phipps, I have a respect for those engineers in their ability to work things around to make amazing hardware. Anything is possible. Probable is the unknown element here. Bring on Thursday.

Isn't it RyZen priced 300 $ minimum? I mean, I don't see it affordable this year, even if the tech is ready (which is not in the AMD plans). This console would be incredibly expensive and Ryzen it's almost useless with the baseline tied on xbone. I hope this console specs push me to buy another Xbox but I think to have absurd expectations not help in the future perspective.

Again, that $300 processor is not what would go into this box. That price doesn't mean anything. MS is most likely acquiring an APU that will sell millions of units. Only the APU manufacturer could give you the real cost of that but it would be far below $300 given what Xbox one and PS4 were able to do with similar (APU) technology.

Yeah it won't be the exact chip and wasn't it said that there won't be any custom chips ready for a while, so timing would be an issue, one reason why I think it will still be a Jag CPU.

Yeah it could be, it's more likely than a Ryzen CPU anyway. Only reason I was thinking Polaris is for price to be lower.

The tech is ready, as there will be apus from AMD themselves using it.

knerl

I dont think people will care about a 2 years old game.

With improved graphical qualities of course they will. My interest in the Xbox One have been low except for a few titles with Halo 5 being one of them. If Scorpio does something similar or better to what the PS4 Pro does thanks to boost mode I would really reconsider getting one. The more games that benefits from the extra power the better. Especially in the eyes of those that don't yet own an Xbox One I think.

Darklor01

OK, so here's a tech question.

IF the CPU in the new machine were something other than Jaguar, would processing differences allow for Xbox One games to simply play by inserting the disc, or would they need to do BC the way they do with Xbox 360 games playing on Xbox One?

scoobs

I remember people disliking how the TV show break from the action, which was optional. And saying that it was a bad cover shooter which the game even isn't.

Then you have reviews like giant bomb that invented bugs to trash the game and to hide the fact they sucked at the game.

But you are right. There were reasons, just not good ones.

Opinions and all that, but there were plenty of problems with the game that brought its score down to where it is, more than you've listed here in fact. You're free to love the game all you want, but to dismiss every single reviewers criticism... a bit silly.

IF the CPU in the new machine were something other than Jaguar, would processing differences allow for Xbox One games to simply play by inserting the disc, or would they need to do BC the way they do with Xbox 360 games playing on Xbox One?
It would be just as native as xbone playing the game.

Xbone games already run through an abstraction layer, they just need to port that to Scorpio and it will be transparent for the games.

leeh

Think of it as a PC. Runs the same OS with the same glibs, they'll handle any differences.

There is many titles which are pre-UWP on the Xbox though, so I can imagine they've had to do a bit of legwork to get those properly working.

Won't be emulation though, just porting of any dependancies to new hardware.

Neeeeeeever, haha. Oh man that would be about 50 Sharpness. That's absolutely insanity :)

This is a good step up from Jaguar that is in the Xbox One? It would be such a waste if MS actually didn't bother with a better CPU at all and just go with the X1 Jaguar again.

I don't believe it will be Jaguar. I think it's going to be Zen. Or if not, optimized Excavatar with an unusually high clock speed for a console. And I mean unusually high.

Zedox

Thursday is going to be interesting around here. I'm looking for meltdowns, "no games", "only 40%" and a whole bunch of stupidity across the thread. Looking forward to the deets. Even though I probably won't get one until next year when I get a 4K tv (I want a 70" HDR10 one) and gonna buy an extra Kinect for it cuz I like the voice controls for XBO, but we shall see the DEETZ.

Darklor01

Think of it as a PC. Runs the same OS with the same glibs, they'll handle any differences.

There is many titles which are pre-UWP on the Xbox though, so I can imagine they've had to do a bit of legwork to get those properly working.

Won't be emulation though, just porting of any dependancies to new hardware.

Oh, OK. So, the discs should run, and patches/wrappers should fix any other issues?

I don't believe it will be Jaguar. I think it's going to be Zen. Or if not, optimized Excavatar with an unusually high clock speed for a console. And I mean unusually high.

I am not really all that tech savvy, but what are all the options MS could choose from if not Jaguar, and in what order?

Thursday is going to be interesting around here. I'm looking for meltdowns, "no games", "only 40%" and a whole bunch of stupidity across the thread. Looking forward to the deets. Even though I probably won't get one until next year when I get a 4K tv (I want a 70" HDR10 one) and gonna buy an extra Kinect for it cuz I like the voice controls for XBO, but we shall see the DEETZ.

It might be a longshot, but I'm personally hoping for some kind of built in Kinect support on Scorpio. At the very least, it'd be nice to have some mics for Cortana support without using a headset. On that note, I just downloaded the new Skype app in preview but I don't have a Kinect anymore. Is there any other camera solution for Xbox One?

Top Bottom