• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio will have launch titles

In my opinion Scorpio is not targeting exclusive games anymore (at the moment). More like Scorpio will pull PS4/PC multiplatform game players to play on Scorpio.

Example:

Tom Clancy's The Division 1.6 update has higher resolution support on PS4 Pro. But in Scorpio it will touch 4K (CB?) 60fps. All PS4 Pro-supported multiplatform games which does not even touch 4K can pull into native 4K (and possibly 60fps in Scorpio). Attractive, no? For me it is a yes.

I can be wrong. And can dream.

Matt

In my opinion Scorpio is not targeting exclusive games anymore (at the moment). More like Scorpio will pull PS4/PC multiplatform game players to play on Scorpio.

Example:

Tom Clancy's The Division 1.6 update has higher resolution support on PS4 Pro. But in Scorpio it will touch 4K (CB?) 60fps. All PS4 Pro-supported multiplatform games which does not even touch 4K can pull into native 4K (and possibly 60fps in Scorpio). Attractive, no? For me it is a yes.

I wouldn't expect 60 FPS to be the thing Scorpio is known for.

Example:

Aren't XB exclusives going to PC already? PC has multi-plats at high res and frames already. Don't know about PS4 crowd, I'm not switching, but I might grab a Scorpio (can they unveil the real name already, I'm tired of saying Scorpio).

All jokes aside, they can and will have some boons for Xbox.
- CDPR said no pro support for TW3, they said nothing about no Scorpio support.
- Fallout 4 VR support
- maybe Marketing rights for Cyber punk?
- Rare tried to make an rpg once for snes, didn't they? Maybe they let them try again.

They'll have some cool shit.

I really hope Battlefield 1 gets a proper update and not the lazy stuff they did for PS4 Pro.

Activate some of the PC features like Screen Space Reflections and better textures etc and im happy :D
Battlefield 1 on Pro already has better textures, as well as improved terrain geometry and particles. It also runs at a higher resolution and much higher framerate. If you want an actual example of a "lazy" Pro update, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Tom Clancy's The Division 1.6 update has higher resolution support on PS4 Pro. But in Scorpio it will touch 4K (CB?) 60fps.
The Division isn't just "higher resolution" on Pro, it seems to be full native 4K. Scorpio isn't twice as powerful as PS4 Pro, so there would need to be a lot of headroom on Pro for Scorpio to be able to double framerate to 60fps. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't count on it.

neoglow

Banned
Introducing the Scorpios launch line-up!*

(*Also available on your existing Xbox One console if you're a cheap ass or on PC which will probably have better graphics, keyboard and mouse support and modding)

Great way to drive sales of your new console Microsoft.

Here's a hint:

CONSOLE Exclusives

MilkyJoe

Introducing the Scorpios launch line-up!*

(*Also available on your existing Xbox One console if you're a cheap ass or on PC which will probably have better graphics, keyboard and mouse support and modding)

Great way to drive sales of your new console Microsoft.

Here's a hint:

CONSOLE Exclusives

You really should pay more attention.

coastel

Going to be interesting to see the kind of upgrades it gets over the original xbox1. Surely they will have to put more work into the patches going from a 1.2tf machine to 6tf, rather than the just over 2 times the difference with pro.
Games with patches on launch day is obvious, Games built with scorpio in mind that they seem to be talking about are going to be amazing. Really looking forward to the DF analysis on them.

So, it's fair to expect a crowded lineup for them this fall.

Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Ori 2 etc this year. The likes of Battletoads, Perfect Dark reboot among the other rumored/unannounced, early next year.

They're gonna be pretty careful of not revealing projects that are in early/alpha though, as Spencer has said numerous times in the recent past, thanks to Scalebound.

Whats stopping them from having a Scorpio only game a year from now?

The already existing 30M install base of the same generation of this iterative product.

If it's up the devs I don't see why not.

The game's compatibility is NOT up to the developer. Things related to IQ, framerates and other aspects of how a game's code is run, are. They've been pretty clear on this on multiple occasions. Every Scorpio game will work on a standard X1 and an X1S. This is not a NN3DS situation.

Fact of the matter is, they can always change their mind.

"CAN"

They "can" always change their mind, close their enterprise/desktop divisions of Windows, and move into mainstream pachislot startups too. Don Mattrick "can" replace Nadella next year, etc.

So, it's fair to expect a crowded lineup for them this fall.

Forza 7, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Ori 2 etc this year. The likes of Battletoads, Perfect Dark reboot among the other rumored/unannounced, early next year.

They're gonna be pretty careful of not revealing projects that are in early/alpha though, as Spencer has said numerous times in the recent past, thanks to Scalebound.

The already existing 30M install base of the same generation of this iterative product.

The game's compatibility is NOT up to the developer. Things related to IQ, framerates and other aspects of how a game's code is run, are. They've been pretty clear on this on multiple occasions. Every Scorpio game will work on a standard X1 and an X1S. This is not a NN3DS situation.

"CAN"

They "can" always change their mind, close their enterprise/desktop divisions of Windows, and move into mainstream pachislot startups too. Don Mattrick "can" replace Nadella next year, etc.

Ori 2 or something else from Moon Studios and releasing this year would be fantastic but I doubt it. I would expect something like early next year or spring. But only because they did that with Ori too. We'll have to wait and see but it's pretty likely we'll see it at E3.

I don't know how big Rare is, but they will be supporting Sea of Thieves for a long time to come I'm sure, it remains to be seen if they can jump onto a new project right away. Unless they already have been working on another project alongside Sea of Thieves.

Battlefield 1 on Pro already has better textures, as well as improved terrain geometry and particles. It also runs at a higher resolution and much higher framerate. If you want an actual example of a "lazy" Pro update, you'll need to look elsewhere.
Uhm no i dont have to. Some of the stuff only applies to the campaign... so yeah

Don't expect miracle if a game targeting stable 60 fps. Of course, higher res will be guaranteed but I don't think game like this can handle extremely higher/ultra graphic setting at 60 fps...

Uhm you have way more memory bandwidth, you have a way better GPU, probably a better clockspeed for the CPU than on the PS4Pro and you have way more ram available.
I dont think thats its impossible to expect some of the High/Ultra Settings this time, dont care about 4k

neoglow

Banned
If you had paid attention, you would already know that, as everyone else does.

Gotcha, but my point still stands.

You attract more potential customers to a particular product/brand etc by giving it exclusivity that people can't get anywhere else. So they should get some AAA titles completely exclusive to the Scorpio or at least on the Xbox with the Scorpio offering better visuals like the PS4 Pro. Not PC. Unfortunately recent releases have demonstrated this with Gears of War and Forza etc.

Otherwise, what's the point? Imagine if Horizon ZD or Zelda BoTW came out on PC (they never will, guaranteed)

MilkyJoe

Gotcha, but my point still stands.

You attract more potential customers to a particular product/brand etc by giving it exclusivity that people can't get anywhere else. So they should get some AAA titles completely exclusive to the Scorpio or at least on the Xbox with the Scorpio offering better visuals like the PS4 Pro. Not PC. Unfortunately recent releases have demonstrated this with Gears of War and Forza etc.

Otherwise, what's the point? Imagine if Horizon ZD or Zelda BoTW came out on PC (they never will, guaranteed)

Because console and pc are two separate markets. By offering the games on Windows they are maximizing profit on the games. Windows is not a rival platform. I'm more than sure that MS have done their homework and the figures fall in favour releasing the games on PC rather than expecting PC owners to buy an Xbox.

The only people that seem to think it's an issue are people that have no intention of buying an Xbox in the first place. It's just another fabricated negative that people use to validate their preferred platform.

Put it this way, a software house releases a new IP and in order to get the necessary support to make a sequel they need sell X copies. On Xbox alone it might only sell 0.7 X copies, and that's not enough for the suits. Release it on PC too and it might sell 1.7 X copies, comfortably securing the backing for a sequel.

This is good for everyone is it not? There are 26 ish million xbone owners and 125 million Steam users (mostly on a Windows platform, I'd wager). Where is the business negative in releasing a game on Windows?

Matt

Because console and pc are two separate markets. By offering the games on Windows they are maximizing profit on the games. Windows is not a rival platform. I'm more than sure that MS have done their homework and the figures fall in favour releasing the games on PC rather than expecting PC owners to buy an Xbox.

The only people that seem to think it's an issue are people that have no intention of buying an Xbox in the first place. It's just another fabricated negative that people use to validate their preferred platform.

Put it this way, a software house releases a new IP and in order to get the necessary support to make a sequel they need sell X copies. On Xbox alone it might only sell 0.7 X copies, and that's not enough for the suits. Release it on PC too and it might sell 1.7 X copies, comfortably securing the backing for a sequel.

This is good for everyone is it not? There are 26 ish million xbone owners and 125 million Steam users (mostly on a Windows platform, I'd wager). Where is the business negative in releasing a game on Windows?
No, releasing games on the Windows Store has nothing to do with maximizing the individual games' revenue. If it did, they would release the games on Steam.

It's about pushing the Windows Store.

MilkyJoe

No, releasing games on the Windows Store has nothing to do with maximizing the individual games' revenue. If it did, they would release the games on Steam.

It's about pushing the Windows Store.

Yes of course, they are not going to release first party on steam (at least not for a good while) but the windows sales still count towards the projected profitability of a particular IP. I don't have to tell you you need actual games people want to play to get people to use the store in the first place?

PS my point above was more its good for players that games sell well and can grow as an IP. MS' plans for the Windows Store has little baring on the day to day life of the average Xbox user.

Matt

Yes of course, they are not going to release first party on steam (at least not for a good while) but the windows sales still count towards the projected profitability of a particular IP. I don't have to tell you you need actual games to get people to use the store in the first place?
Trying to use games to make people take a look at the Windows Store makes sense for MS, but the sales on it are truly awful. Like, statistical noise for a title's overall sales.

Placing a title on the Windows Store is not a serious revenue generating move.

MilkyJoe

Trying to use games to make people take a look at the Windows Store makes sense for MS, but the sales on it are truly awful. Like, statistical noise for a title's overall sales.

Placing a title on the Windows Store is not a serious revenue generating move.

If I have a PC only and want to play FH3, it's cheaper than buying an Xbox and the game.

How bad can it honestly be to buy a game via the Windows Store? Do you have to suck off a tramp for the license key or something?

Matt

If I have a PC only and want to play FH3, it's cheaper than buying an Xbox and the game.

How bad can it honestly be to buy a game via the Windows Store? Do you have to suck off a tramp for the license key or something?
I'm only telling you what the situation is.

MilkyJoe

I'm only telling you what the situation is.

That may well be the situation, but as the publisher they are going to want to push their own platform there. But seriously, what is the big deal with the Windows Store and is it worth missing out on a title to avoid using it?

JaggedSac

Scorpio split? It will always be part of Xbox One family.

It will even be called Xbox One "something".

Looks like the Scorpio GAF is creating is totally different from the Scorpio MS announced last year.

Actually, MS has talked about avoiding generational resets. You keep talking about MS having generational resets.

Castef

Banned
This basically means Scorpio will launch along with new games.

I was actually expecting this to happen. I think Crackdown 3 will be one of them.

The others... mmmh... I still think Microsoft has a pair of big games to be unveiled for that very moment. Maybe a Fable?

Matt

That may well be the situation, but as the publisher they are going to want to push their own platform there. But seriously, what is the big deal with the Windows Store and is it worth missing out on a title to avoid using it?
It's an interesting question. First of all it's good to acknowledge that launching any digital storefront is difficult. Look at how many have come and gone over the years. Secondly it's gotten a lot of bad press and user reactions already. Third, other that getting these MS published games, there simply isn't a reason for the public to use it. That leads to a situation where it both has very low consumer knowledge and interaction, and a reluctance to engage with it period (for those that are aware of it) because people like having their digital goods in as few places as possible.

It isn't offering any unique value to users right now, and with Steam as dominant as it is, the game aspect is just too slight to have a meaningful effect.

MilkyJoe

It's an interesting question. First of all it's good to achnowledge that launching any digital storefront is difficult. Look at how many have come and gone over the years. Secondly it's gotten a lot of bad press and user reactions already. Third, other that getting these MS published games, there simply isn't a reason for the public to use it. That leads to a situation where it both has very low consumer knowledge and interaction, and a reluctance to engage with it period (for those that are aware of it) because people like having their digital goods in as few places as possible.

It isn't offering any unique value to users right now, and with Steam as dominant as it is, the game aspect is just too slight to have a meaningful effect.

Thanks for the reply.

xrnzaaas

So could this mean later than usual release for Forza 7? Three latest Forza games all came out in September.

12Dannu123

I can bet with you that we will have a new exclusive machine from MS and Sony.

That is a no brained.

PS. If you want to take advantage of the full hardware you will need to use the machine SDK... UWP will not become the target for AAA devs like it is not today.

There won't be a Xbox SDK going forward. The UWP SDK will replace it.

massucci

Banned
Uhm no i dont have to. Some of the stuff only applies to the campaign... so yeah

Uhm you have way more memory bandwidth, you have a way better GPU, probably a better clockspeed for the CPU than on the PS4Pro and you have way more ram available.
I dont think thats its impossible to expect some of the High/Ultra Settings this time, dont care about 4k
You misunderstood my word. I said to not expect the equivalent of high/ultra pc setting on Scorpio with 60 fps targeting. I don't exclude "some" setting.

Raide

Ready to upgrade this year. Looking forward to seeing what MS announce. Happy that the xb1 stuff will work but I really want them to shoe off Scorpio. Hell, give me some Scorpio Experience games just to show off the potential of the tech.

Top Bottom