• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Setsuna (Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

Mr. RPG

I don't understand why this game is getting any types of hate. It's exactly what we needed again as RPG gamers and what Square needed as a developer. They get to return to their roots and learn what made them special in the first place. And it's about time we get a throwback old school style JRPG after all the throwback platformer indie games we had to put up with the last six years.

This is a old school RPG for the sake of being a old school RPG. Final Fantasy VI was not made that way. Final Fantasy VII was not made that way.

I'm not expecting anything special out of this game. It looks like a game that was originally going to be a mobile game and probably will end up being released on mobile platforms anyway. There are tons of these old school styled RPGs. I just really wanted something more and I doubt this game will deliver.

But you know what? It doesn't sound like people want that.

This is a problem with Square-Enix's entire line-up.

I'm not expecting anything special out of this game. It looks like a game that was originally going to be a mobile game and probably will end up being released on mobile platforms anyway. There are tons of these old school styled RPGs. I just really wanted something more and I doubt this game will deliver.

This is a problem with the entire Square-Enix line-up.

What exactly were you expecting from this then? Not everything needs to be AAA like the 5+ AAA games they're already working on. We knew this was a small team from the first announcement for it, ofcourse it's not going to look super impressive visually.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This actually has a chance of coming here right? Don't really see why they would have announced it at e3 if it didn't.

Yes. It was announced at E3. It wouldn't make sense if it doesn't get localized but gets announced at E3.

This is a old school RPG for the sake of being a old school RPG. Final Fantasy VI was not made that way. Final Fantasy VII was not made that way.

What's wrong SE's entire line-up?

DJIzana

What exactly were you expecting from this then? Not everything needs to be AAA like the 5+ AAA games they're already working on. We knew this was a small team from the first announcement for it, ofcourse it's not going to look super impressive visually.

I agree. Sounds like Dragon Quest 11 is more up his alley. Not to derail the thread but if he wanted something else, he should look at maybe something like BattleChasers.

I am personally hyped for Project Setsuna. Especially for that top down view and turn based combat. Can't say I'm displeased at all. Really hope the story is well thought out as well.

Mr. RPG

Read the first sentence of my post again.

This is a old school RPG for the sake of being a old school RPG.

Of course it doesn't need to be a AAA game and I never expected that.

This game looks very safe and uninspired. At least Bravely Default seemed to try and reinvent the battle system somewhat.

I'm still very interested in the game despite my critical opinion. :p

What's wrong SE's entire line-up?

There's a lot of things wrong with Square-Enix. I don't feel like writing a book about it. People have been talking about this for a decade. Just look at any Final Fantasy thread.

zeopower6

This game looks very safe and uninspired. At least Bravely Default seemed to try and reinvent the battle system somewhat.

Why do people keep trying to compare this game to others, especially ones that have vastly different origins/budgets? :|

Read the first sentence of my post again.

Oh. So you know the details of the combat mechanics in this game? Please share with the rest of us.

wmlk

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember people hyping this project as the next big thing for SE?

Or was it another project?

Next big thing?

SE has a lot of projects that people are excited about. I don't think anyone hyped up a low budget, small scale RPG as the "next big thing" lol. It's really exciting to see SE take this direction, though. i think there's room for games like this.

I'm assuming you probably think DQ11 is safe and uninspired as well right? Because that series in general hardly "reinvented the wheel" when it comes to gameplay, like Bravely Default or the last few FF games tried to do, yet somehow it still has a flood of fans who buy up every single game for it. There's nothing wrong when it comes to being safe, especially for a new IP that clearly isn't trying to appeal to the masses. There are still more than just a handful of people who like old school rpgs, they just may not appeal to many beyond that group.

Exentryk

Hopefully the game doesn't have random encounters. Or if they have random encounters, then include a way to turn them off similar to Bravely Default.

Fou-Lu

Hopefully the game doesn't have random encounters. Or if they have random encounters, then include a way to turn them off similar to Bravely Default.

It doesn't have random encounters. It's like Chrono Trigger in this respect. From what I gather anyway.

Fou-Lu

This is just speculation on your behalf.

Not entirely:
Events and battles happen in top-down perspective, while the game’s battle system inherits the ATB system from other Square Enix titles. The fields will allow you to travel and battle seamlessly without having any screen changes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/1...is-made-to-bring-back-memories-from-90s-rpgs/

The switch between movement and battle on the field is seamless. There isn’t a screen switch that occurs.

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/tokyo-rpg-factory-announces-ikenie-to-yuki-no-setsuna-ps4-ps-vita#1SrVOjBtDhrpwZLd.99

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's a lot of things wrong with Square-Enix. I don't feel like writing a book about it. People have been talking about this for a decade. Just look at any Final Fantasy thread.

If you think there's something wrong with this (this is for PS4/PSV/PS3):

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Project Setsuna
Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
Dragon Quest Heroes (English)
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD
Nier New Project
SaGa Scarlet Grace
Dissidia Final Fantasy
World of Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Seiken Densetsu Remake
Dragon Quest X

Then you're crazy.

If you're expecting like Chrono Break, New IP 1, New IP 2, New IP 3, and Xenogears 2 with FFXV like graphics then you're absolutely positively crazy.

I'm just glad we have Project Setsuna, an actual new RPG IP from SE. The last one we had for consoles was Nier (and before that, The Last Remnant).

duckroll

Actually I believe this game does have "random" encounters. There are no transitions, as the battles are represented on the field as monsters appear and the menus pop up, but in the Famitsu magazine article, the example they showed is of the party on an empty field, and then the battle begins after the monsters appear. It's seamless, but it doesn't seem like a symbol encounter system where you run into a monster to start a battle.

Mr. RPG

I'm not going to reply to everything you guys are saying so this doesn't become more constant back and forth but I do want to say that the Dragon Quest series has never been known to be particularly innovative for its game play. It is a tried and true system that works. Dragon Quest has always been known for its story and characters. This is what I love about Dragon Quest. I actually love what I am seeing from Dragon Quest XI so far by the way. I just hope the story and characters are better this time around.

And finally regarding Setsuna, of course these are all very early first impressions. The game isn't even out yet. :p

If you think there's something wrong with this (this is for PS4/PSV/PS3):

Then you're crazy.

To clarify, I meant the mainline Final Fantasy series even though I said "the entire line-up". I suppose I was exaggerating a bit. I'm really excited about all of the Dragon Quest games and some of the Final Fantasy spin-off games like Explorers.

I really doubt the story of DQXI will be any different compared to its predecessors. DQ is known to have vignettes within the entire story (from what I've played, the overarching stories are very simple) and I'm pretty sure it will stick to that tradition.

That's what I love about the series.

injurai

Banned
Actually I believe this game does have "random" encounters. There are no transitions, as the battles are represented on the field as monsters appear and the menus pop up, but in the Famitsu magazine article, the example they showed is of the party on an empty field, and then the battle begins after the monsters appear. It's seamless, but it doesn't seem like a symbol encounter system where you run into a monster to start a battle.

That would be kind of nice, and modern.

Fou-Lu

If this is the case I hope there is at least an indicator that shows how close a battle is to happening.

ULTROS!

I'm not going to reply to everything you guys are saying so this doesn't become more constant back and forth but I do want to say that the Dragon Quest series has never been known to be particularly innovative for its game play. It is a tried and true system that works. Dragon Quest has always been known for its story and characters. This is what I love about Dragon Quest. I actually love what I am seeing from Dragon Quest XI so far by the way. I just hope the story and characters are better this time around.

And finally regarding Setsuna, of course these are all very early first impressions. The game isn't even out yet. :p

I really doubt the story of DQXI will be any different compared to its predecessors. DQ is known to have vignettes within the entire story (from what I've played, the overarching stories are very simple) and I'm pretty sure it will stick to that tradition.

Exentryk

They better have a way to turn them off =/

This sounds like music to my ears. The best of both worlds with battles that are random and seamless.

I don't think it really matters. I've been wanting an old-school JRPG for a long time and it look really lovely. Plus these are from the guys that made the old school RPG. That's gotta count for something.

zadig

Neo Member
I was disappointed with the 3D graphic style too, but it doesn't look too bad in the trailer. I think the still shots do the game a bit of a disservice. :( It could look better, but it's not that bad, I think. Maybe. :X

The music is beautiful though, and I'm really looking forward to having another new turn-based rpg to play (they're too much of a rarity these days). Of course I'd much rather have 2D sprites in the style of Seiken Densetsu 3 or Princess Crown, or the 2D picturebook style of Child of Light, or the art style of Bravely Default, but I'll probably get the Vita version over the PS4 version and I can put up with mediocre graphics as long as the battle system is good and story is decent. The premise sounds more promising than the usual world is ending let's save the world! jrpg story (was immediately reminded of the minotaur myth) so I'm hoping they develop it well.

I wonder if it's too much to hope for full voice and adjustable encounter rates?

Reveirg

Opinions man.

There's opinions sure, but their lineup (both Japanese and Worldwide) has never been this varied and plentiful, especially for consoles, ever since Squaresoft's 2000 lineup.

I feel bad for you though (I don't mean that in a condescending way). Seems like S-E missed the mark for your personal tastes, and that's bad luck because they're really trying.

There's just a limit to the amount of resources and money they can pour in relatively niche JRPG franchises, and I feel like they're already pushing it.

But hey, I'm still waiting for Chrono Break, TWEWY 2, FFXII HD and a new Ito title, so we can never be fully satisfied I guess. =D

EDIT: Final Fantasy Tactics, too.

Fuck. :(

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This looks pretty good, but i wish it had prerendered backgrounds : (

chrono01

The new song in the website is so beautiful.
I was just going to mention this. I just started my daily process of leaving the official website open in a separate tab for the amazing music, and was hit with a new song. It's as great as the first.

Seriously, there's no way I'm not importing the OST for this. It's incredibly promising.

Top Bottom