• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Setsuna (Square Enix/TRF) confirmed for PS4/Vita in Early 2016, oldstyle JRPG

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get the hate, it looks exactly like it's supposed to be, a 16bit jrpg made with 3d graphics.

If you think this is bad you should go over to the KoFXIV thread.

It's kinda sad how people only care about graphics nowadays, but eh, I learned to ignore it.

I'm a kof fan and i don't care about graphics(i'm a handheld gamer and i like indies and small games), but it's impossible to ignore how ugly kofxiv is, Kyo looks like a Korean MMO custom character.

RexNovis

Banned
Definitely looking forward to finding out more about this one. Certainly looks promising but there's just too little to go from at this point.

Falk

that puzzling face
An overworld, walking single file to hide their numbers and CROSS SLASH.

Quite clear who the target audience is! Give.

Scrawnton

I don't understand why this game is getting any types of hate. It's exactly what we needed again as RPG gamers and what Square needed as a developer. They get to return to their roots and learn what made them special in the first place. And it's about time we get a throwback old school style JRPG after all the throwback platformer indie games we had to put up with the last six years.

I don't understand why this game is getting any types of hate. It's exactly what we needed again as RPG gamers and what Square needed as a developer. They get to return to their roots and learn what made them special in the first place. And it's about time we get a throwback old school style JRPG after all the throwback platformer indie games we had to put up with the last six years.

I am kind of getting the impression that a lot of the hate is coming from people who haven't been waiting for this exact game for ten years.

As in, these people don't really play RPGs anyway, and certainly not this kind.

In comparison, CT and CC were both Summer games. CC especially :p

Yeah, Cross is definitely one of the most summer-evocative games I've played. I think Secret of Mana and Okami also do a good job of evoking Spring and Summer (though of course both have snow stages, too).

Wish there were more autumnal games. Costume Quest I guess =P

Scrawnton

I am kind of getting the impression that a lot of the hate is coming from people who haven't been waiting for this exact game for ten years.

As in, these people don't really play RPGs anyway, and certainly not this kind.

I had an NES and SNES as a kid but I didn't get into JRPGs at all until PSOne when I was in middle school (shout out to Legend of Legaia), ever since then I have had a strong attraction to that era of JRPGs (like a lot of people). This game is like a dream come true. My only hope is that it's not a short download title but a full priced $60 game. That way I know this is a serious game like we had back then and not just a small diversion.

I had an NES and SNES as a kid but I didn't get into JRPGs at all until PSOne when I was in middle school (shout out to Legend of Legaia), ever since then I have had a strong attraction to that era of JRPGs (like a lot of people). This game is like a dream come true. My only hope is that it's not a short download title but a full priced $60 game. That way I know this is a serious game like we had back then and not just a small diversion.

I got into RPGs late, and honestly, I have played very few of them. I actually own most of the canon because I am slowly working my way through, Vita is great for that, but I have a long way to go.

I grew up playing the SNES, but never played any RPGs. Then there weren't many to choose from on the N64 and GameCube, but I always loved Paper Mario, Pokémon, and Superstar Saga.

When Secret of Mana hit the Wii VC, my friend bought it for me. It was his favorite game that he played a lot as a kid and wanted me to try it. I ended up really, really liking it. I've been slowly consuming the seminal games over the last year in a (late) response to that.

And Setsuna looks like the game I wish I had when I finished Secret of Mana.

Scrawnton

I got into RPGs late, and honestly, I have played very few of them. I actually own most of the canon because I am slowly working my way through, Vita is great for that, but I have a long way to go.

I grew up playing the SNES, but never played any RPGs. Then there weren't many to choose from on the N64 and GameCube, but I always loved Paper Mario, Pokémon, and Superstar Saga.

When Secret of Mana hit the Wii VC, my friend bought it for me. It was his favorite game that he played a lot as a kid and wanted me to try it. I ended up really, really liking it. I've been slowly consuming the seminal games over the last year in a (late) response to that.

And Setsuna looks like the game I wish I had when I finished Secret of Mana.
Have you played Grandia on your vita yet? If not, I highly suggest you jump in to that. The game had a slow start but man it gets insane after a while (both story wise and gameplay).

I love everything they have shown about this.
There is always this stupid argument that games now are more expensive/harder to make then in the 90s and I always say, then just keep making them like back then and focus on the important stuff.
This looks like it does exactly that. No super high res models/textures, no motion capturing, no animated cutscenes, not fully orchestrated and not fully voice acted. Textboxes is all you need. Just make a memorable RPG and I gladly pay full price day1.

Dark_castle

Random battles? :(

I don't think there'll be random encounters. It'll be like Chrono Trigger where you could see enemies on the field and when you get closer, it'll switch to combat mode on the spot. Note that enemies can move about too, so I'm thinking position and timing are a factor for attacking too, just like CT. Then, there's things like double tech.

Wrong Cross Slash. I think people should've just referred to it as it was in the original localization, X-Strike. And yeah, from what we see in that trailer, walking on world map in a tiny form(yet still with party in tow), walking in explorable locations(towns, dungeons) in larger form(with party in tow), battles fought on actual exploitable area(CC didn't even do that, and the only FFs that do that are FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV and FFXV), and of course, the X-Strike combo technique.

Koozek

Ah bummer. Was hoping that SE still has a wild card to show, like FFXII HD.

Still, interested to see more of Setsuna. Hopefully new environment that's not utterly covered in white snow.

They'll announce it next year, which is FFXII's 10th anniversary.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As someone who places the legendary 16 and 32 bit RPGs as the pinnacle of gaming, the whole "going back to the roots" initiative and the concept artwork is exactly the kind of thing that speaks to me, but looking at the preview and I'm underwhelmed. The in-game graphics reek of that generic look in all of those 'indie kickstarter game that is inspired by Earthbound and Chrono Trigger" you see. Would have preferred them doing prerendered backgrounds with that gorgeous artwork!

But maybe the gameplay and storytelling will deliver... Bravely Default (with some concessions) proves that SE can still capture some of what made those oldskool RPGs so damn magical.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
One question....will the game be full screen or is it picture in picture?

Falk

that puzzling face
One question....will the game be full screen or is it picture in picture?

Wat

The trailer? The 'smaller-image-within-a-larger-blurred-one' is very common for handheld game trailers from Japan. Don't ask me why, I don't know either.

Bravely Default (with some concessions) proves that SE can still capture some of what made those oldskool RPGs so damn magical.

Bravely Default wasn't really SE SE though. Although I guess Tokyo RPG Factory would loosely fall under the same category.

People who don't like turn-based JRPGs love to push the narrative that nobody likes turn-based JRPGs. It's very tiresome.

zeopower6

The Tokyo RPG Factory site seems to list this as the first work of Project Setsuna. Does this mean we may get more based on that codeword?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Tokyo RPG Factory site seems to list this as the first work of Project Setsuna. Does this mean we may get more based on that codeword?

Yes:

Accrdoing to Square Enix, the theme of their new IP Project Setsuna comes from the Japanese word of “setsunasa” which roughly means “sadness.”

During the interview, Yosuka Matsuda said that the development team of Tokyo RPG Factory that was revealed alongside the project centers around a team of external developers, including a number of freelance staff.

The development period for Project Setsuna is expected to be short, and the game will release sometime in 2016. Once it is released, they’ll carefully look over the results, and decide on whether they’ll continue growing it into a big IP.

“It’s important to create new IPs, but creating big IPs is difficult,” said Matsuda when asked about making new IPs. “Having been looking at the game industry up until now, it’s quite common to see [a video game series] take the form of a trilogy. In that sense, we need to have at least three [titles] before knowing whether it will continue growing or not.”

He continued, “It’s a smaller-scaled challenge up until the second title, and if you’ve raised the series enough to expect a big hit on the third title, then that’s when you can increase its scale. Once that third title becomes a success, that’s when I have nothing to worry about.”

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/2...a-has-sadness-as-a-theme/#j4j2CX5WcopLIKOi.99

wmlk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nier 2 like 5% complete when they announced it? Like, still in pre-production if that?

Don't pay too much attention to percentages. SO5 was like 30% done earlier this year when it was revealed, and not it's being released in February. Progress happens fast for different studios. It's not like SE is developing this game.

For a productive studio like Platinum Games, I expected something at TGS. It's understandable if there's been a setback, though. They are busy.

I don't get the hate, it looks exactly like it's supposed to be, a 16bit jrpg made with 3d graphics.

I'm a kof fan and i don't care about graphics(i'm a handheld gamer and i like indies and small games), but it's impossible to ignore how ugly kofxiv is, Kyo looks like a Korean MMO custom character.

There is no hate for me but they may have compared it to Bravely default which looks beautiful on an lesser hardware.

I also think that Bravely default look better than this so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Don't pay too much attention to percentages. SO5 was like 30% done earlier this year when it was revealed, and not it's being released in February. Progress happens fast for different studios. It's not like SE is developing this game.

For a productive studio like Platinum Games, I expected something at TGS. It's understandable if there's been a setback, though. They are busy.
I get the impression they actually signed Platinum like a few months prior to E3.

It's not unusual to sign independent developers 6 months in advance of them being able to do actual work too due to how contracts and funding work for developers who don't have stable publishers.

wmlk

I get the impression they actually signed Platinum like a few months prior to E3.

It's not unusual to sign independent developers 6 months in advance of them being able to do actual work too due to how contracts and funding work for developers who don't have stable publishers.

That makes sense, but as I said earlier, "Fall" was close enough and it seemed like they were confident in setting up the next showing.

I think there's been a setback with the development.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Now that I noticed, Sony has 12 exclusive games from Square Enix for their platforms, that's mighty impressive.

Kinda like the PS1/PS2 days. If we include the non-exclusive:

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Project Setsuna
Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
Dragon Quest Heroes (English)
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest XI
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD
Nier New Project
SaGa Scarlet Grace
Dissidia Final Fantasy
World of Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts III
Seiken Densetsu Remake
Dragon Quest X

Damn, what a big turnaround compared to last gen... This is probably their biggest lineup since the PS2 days.

Top Bottom