• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Versus J (JUMP crossover game) announced, for PS3/Vita

Piers

Whoops, right. Probably not a follow up to Ganbarion's DS games.
Yeah, I hope this isn't strictly a DBZ/Naruto/SteroidGT game. It probably will be.

LOL good job Nintendo on that Region lock shit... I had both Jump stars on the DS and loved it.

Edit: Probably gonna be on the 3DS anyway T_T, but if it's on the VITA OMGOMGOMG

Probably 3DS, but it's too bad about region locks. JSS/JUS were some of the most imported games ever in the US, Best Buy even carried them and NPD tracked them (JSS did ~70k iirc from the figures I saw years ago).

OH MY GOD. Im about to cry now, it was announced by namco bandai.... I hope its not the same team that made this.....

Battlestadiumdon.jpg
That team also made games like Bloody Roar 1-4, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and the Naruto: Clash of Ninja series. I think an 8ing made 3DS fighter patterned off TVC would be kind of amazing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
shows character models of Goku, Luffy, and Toriko.

it's weird/kinda sad that Naruto and Ichigo went down in popularity that even Jump itself completely ignore them for games announcement now. now wonder why both mangas are going to end soon.

yankee666

Nice!!!!! i was waiting for a sequel for this game. Whatever plataform its in im already prepared, bring it on!!!!

Westlo

This shit needs Kumagawa da gawd to be in it.

it's weird/kinda sad that Naruto and Ichigo went down in popularity that even Jump itself completely ignore them for games announcement now. now wonder why both mangas are going to end soon.

And no matter how much they push Toriko in Japan it still won't sell anywhere near as much as a declining bleach.

Give Assasination Classroom a few more volumes and it will outsell Toriko too, just like Ao no Exorcist and Kuroko did.

Bleach anime is dead, and interestingly Bleach is one of the few JUMP properties Namco Bandai doesn't own the rights to ...

Ooooooh just imagine if they did get Sega to lend the Bleach license here, we may finally get Project X Zone (was it any good?) as well =D, if Capcom doesn't be an ass. Then again wishful thinking ='(

Jump stars were some great games man, I remember playing the hell outta them. Then when people started hacking it got pretty bad, but I remember owning hackers from time to time and they'd rage quit lol.

But yea vita would be great for the region free.

The thing is Toriko is not all that popular anywhere even in Japan. They keep constantly trying to push it, but it's volume sales are wonderfully below average (for something Jump actually pushes) with even the worst selling Bleach Volumes selling more than 4x the best selling Toriko volumes.

Edit: That's not to say I don't understand why they are doing it. When Naruto, Bleach, and OP are done (they likely will be done within the decade), there's currently not anything that can replace them, but Toriko's not going to pull that kind of weight when it can't even match Bleach at its worst.

Inukage

Naruto is far from being dead, especially the sales it is making in the west with games like the Ultimate Ninja Storm series.

Naruto is far from being dead, especially the sales it is making in the west with games like the Ultimate Ninja Storm series.

It is in its final arc, but the whole Toriko part means popularity doesn't even factor into what they showcase. WSJ has been pushing Toriko hard to try to make it come up to even Bleach level of volume sales (it's nowhere near that level).

Takao

Banned
Remember kids, Toei and Scamco axed Dragon Ball Kai for Toriko. Toriko is doing worse in the ratings than Kai did, despite DBK literally being an edited version of Z. Dragon Ball gets the last laugh though, as Kai will continue for international markets.

Takao

Banned
I'd actually prefer it on PS3. That way if there's any online gameplay I don't have to swap memory cards or something. Obviously, if it was exclusive to Vita I'd be there too but it won't be, lol.

Naruto is still second in sales behind One Piece. Toriko does about the half the sales Naruto does and series such as Bakuman still outsell Toriko.

Toriko is great but will never be in the top unless something drastic changes in the story. It sat comfortably in the same spot as far as sales go this past year.

Remember kids, Toei and Scamco axed Dragon Ball Kai for Toriko. Toriko is doing worse in the ratings than Kai did, despite DBK literally being an edited version of Z. Dragon Ball gets the last laugh though, as Kai will continue for international markets.

Well, Toriko also gets pushed hard in the WSJ, but it's volume sales do not show the level of popularity that the TOC and advertising would suggest. Toriko is being pushed because WSJ is worried about what happens when Naruto, Bleach, and OP end. Naruto will likely end in the next 2 years. Bleach will end within 5-8 years. OP within 5-10 years as well. Once those three are gone, it currently looks like Shonen Jump is screwed at least from a volume sales revenue point of view. Merchandising will continue to make Shueisha money for years to come.

Naruto is still second in sales behind One Piece. Toriko does about the half the sales Naruto does and series such as Bakuman still outsell Toriko.

Toriko is great but will never be in the top unless something drastic changes in the story. It sat comfortably in the same spot as far as sales go this past year.

Not even half, less than 1/5.

Well, Toriko also gets pushed hard in the WSJ, but it's volume sales do not show the level of popularity that the TOC and advertising would suggest. Toriko is being pushed because WSJ is worried about what happens when Naruto, Bleach, and OP end. Naruto will likely end in the next 2 years. Bleach will end within 5-8 years. OP within 5-10 years as well. Once those three are gone, it currently looks like Shonen Jump is screwed at least from a volume sales revenue point of view. Merchandising will continue to make Shueisha money for years to come.
That padding XD, even though it was announced to end first, with the way Kubo writes and draw....yeah that sounds about right lol

Not even half, less than 1/5.

Naruto sold a little over 8 million this year and Toriko just squeezed past 3 million. So a little less than half. But the point stands: Shounen will keep pushing Toriko because it will be around when Bleach and Naruto end. It's a fun manga but like I said, something has to change in order for it's sales to actually go up.

Westlo

Eh hunter x hunter outsells naruto and Toriko is near 400k which is certainly not 1/5 of narutos million.

Op >>>>>>>>
Hunter x hunter > naruto
Bleach > kuroko > gintama/Toriko

Bakuman ended awhile ago.

Edit - you can't post yearly charts because with Toriko getting pushed all the volumes of like 1-14 or whatever sell another 59k or whatever and inflate numbers.

The proper way to compare is by volume sales, preferably the latest ones.

Lol @ linking year charts, ppl going by them might have got fooled something like fairy tail was a good seller. The promotion for the movie gave all old volumes a push not to mention a lot of volumes came out, look at the latest volumes sales.

Forkball

I loved Jump Ultimate Stars. It is very similar to Smash Bros., but still unique it it's own right. The "koma" system allowed for a lot of customization and options. Not to mention there were a lot of great characters and the game looked great. I'll just import this for my 3D-OHWAIT

Naruto sold a little over 8 million this year and Toriko just squeezed past 3 million. So a little less than half. But the point stands: Shounen will keep pushing Toriko because it will be around when Bleach and Naruto end. It's a fun manga but like I said, something has to change in order for it's sales to actually go up.

Look at the actual volume sales I just posted. Not one volume of Toriko was in the top 50 manga volumes sold last year.

Inukage

That chart has an error. Number 2 and 3 were switched by accident. They never posted the new one for some reason but I guess it's important to note.

That would make a lot more sense, I don't see how people can say Naruto is dead it's doing extremely well seeing as volume 61 broke the most sales in the first week for the series.

Takao

Banned

Holy shit. I'm so sorry for whoever is a fan of that franchise.

Holy shit. I'm so sorry for whoever is a fan of that franchise.

I find it more pleasant than Naruto or OP. Naruto was drek in the first place. One Piece I just got bored with after the Marineford War arc. Why do manga always get worse after a timeskip aside from the frieza arc in Dragon Ball?

Takao

Banned
In addition to One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Toriko being showcased, the creators of the new game are taking requests for characters to include this time around, a move they also made back when a sequel to Jump Super Stars was first announced. Folks who send in their character votes will also be entered into a contest for what we can only assume are fabulous prizes — one of which is a Nintendo 3DS, though (as we attempt to connect the dots) no platform for this game is specifically mentioned that we are able to determine at this time. From what we are able to see, the release date and price are also yet to be determined.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/05/new-crossover-video-game-announced-project-versus-j/

Top Bottom