• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Versus J (JUMP crossover game) announced, for PS3/Vita

Magic? There's really no risk for NAMCO with what they're doing on the Vita. They have a PS3 version to pull all the weight, and in some cases (like AKB1/149 and God Eater 2) a PSP version.

True, but outside of SC and Tekken, every major BN franchise is on vita one way or another. Won't be surprised to see a mainline Tales game after Hearts port.

Why is it that BN is putting all their major games on vita, albeit with very little risk as you said, being a port from a more established system and all? If there was nothing there, then Konami would be putting WE there, MGS V/PP/GZ would have been on vita as well especially since Fox Engine is supposed to work on it, Capcom would have released RE:R, the new Lost Planet game that's exclusive to 3DS, and MH up ports on it, SE would have released Bravely Default, DQX, DQVIIR, or Lightning XIII on it, and not even talking about western games because COD should have been BO2, but you get the point.

I honestly think SCE is sleeping with BN and trying to carve a niche among anime fans for the vita in order to keep it relevant while trying to find that big franchise or big new IP that will jump start the sales of the platform.

BN and TK are the only two companies giving the vita decent support right now.

crinale

Me too xD

I see 2013-1-31 at the scan, but i don't think it's release date... or it is?

It does mean the deadline of poll, so you guys are correct. On the poll you must write following:

1. Name up to 3 mightiest characters you think of (out of Jump franchise, I assume).
2. Name one manga that you like the most (same as above).
3. What consoles & handhelds do you own?
4. What is your most favorite game genre?
5. Just how many game copies do you have now?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'll wait 'til I see more. I won't get excited until I get a confirmation that this isn't being developed by Spike Chunsoft.

crinale

Isn't there a new Rurouni Kenshin manga out? Or would they include him anyways since he's a pretty iconic character?

Technically even Kenshin must win the poll to be included, though I'm pretty sure he will be in the roaster, considering his popularity.

BTW, it says that you don't have to buy Jump magazine to poll.

PS3/Vita? Makes it easy as hell to import!

I just hope this game is as good as Jump Ultimate Stars.... I feel like it wont be though... but if they really go all out with the design and the game isnt rushed then it should be great hopefully.

Im not so much about characters in the game as I am about having a really fun game. I'd like it to play more like Smash or JUS with a real clean and polished feel... unlike DON and playstation allstars.

Takao

Banned
Haha, it's true after all!

For what it's worth I do not see any mention of Spike Chunsoft (スパイク チュンソフト) on the scan. However, I do not recognize the piece of text right next to Namco Bandai's name on the scan...

Visually it looks like a different Dragon Ball game than I was expecting, Zenkai Battle Royale!

MTbY3.jpg

EDIT: IT'S ZENKAI BATTLE ROYALE

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The upcoming 2013 issue #3 of Weekly Shōnen Jump (set for release this Monday, 17 December 2012) contains new information about — as well as the first screen shots for — the previously-announced Project Versus J video game, now confirmed for release on the Sony PlayStation 3 and Vita, and is classified as a “team battle action” game.

Images in the magazine show off Toriko’s “Nail Punch”, Luffy’s “Gum-Gum Stamp”, and Goku’s Kamehameha. The magazine also asks readers to enter a new contest by choosing up to three characters they feel are the strongest and why (as well as detailing their favorite manga, which game consoles they own, their favorite game genre, and how many video games they own). Naturally, rivals and female characters are OK, too! From all those who enter, 10 people will be chosen by lottery to receive a PlayStation 3 system. Votes will be tallied to determine which characters make the game’s final roster cut. The deadline is 31 January 2013, so that presumably puts the game’s release at least at some point in time after that

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/12/project-versus-j-details-revealed-team-battle-o-ps3-vita/

Zenkai Battle Royale is a PS3 Dragon Ball arcade game that is developed internally (as far as we know) by Namco Bandai. It runs on PS3 hardware, and could very well be classified as a "team battle action" game.

Tsunamo

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
That was my first thought aswell when I saw Gokus viewpoint and team battle being mentioned. I've always wished Zenkai Battle Royale would get a console port, but in its current state that wont happen, a JUMP crossover game on the same engine for Vita/PS3 is even better though! So hyped!

Dereck

MTbY3.jpg

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/12/project-versus-j-details-revealed-team-battle-o-ps3-vita/

Zenkai Battle Royale is a PS3 Dragon Ball arcade game that is developed internally (as far as we know) by Namco Bandai. It runs on PS3 hardware, and could very well be classified as a "team battle action" game.
What? I've been on kanzenshuu extremely doubting the possibility. Never thought it would happen.

Takuan

Japan is a moot point, but I wonder if this would have more legs in North America than Sony Smash? There's certainly a large fanbase here.

crinale

The term "team battle action" reminds me one developer that has close relationship with Bamco. But it's highly unlikely that this is being done by that company.

..If my speculation is true, though, then I can't even imagine how this game becomes popular in Japan.

Haha, it's true after all!
For what it's worth I do not see any mention of Spike Chunsoft (スパイク チュンソフト) on the scan. However, I do not recognize the piece of text right next to Namco Bandai's name on the scan...

Where are you looking? I can help, but I'm not sure which part of the scan you are looking at. The only place I see Namco Bandai is next to MAKER.

Takao

Banned
Where are you looking? I can help, but I'm not sure which part of the scan you are looking at. The only place I see Namco Bandai is next to MAKER.

It might indeed have just been "MAKER", lol. I was talking about the info box.

The term "team battle action" reminds me one developer that has close relationship with Bamco. But it's highly unlikely that this is being done by that company.

..If my speculation is true, though, then I can't even imagine how this game becomes popular in Japan.

Who is this developer? Zenkai Battle Royale is popular in Japanese arcades.

It might indeed have just been "MAKER", lol. I was talking about the info box.

Ah yeah, just says "maker", which gives no clues about developer.

A quick read through and glancing around the pages gives no hints, either.

TreIII

Sweet. Hope the fact that Bamco is involved means that good GvGEx/TTT2 netcode will be included. Will import on PS3.

Japan is a moot point, but I wonder if this would have more legs in North America than Sony Smash? There's certainly a large fanbase here.

It likely would. But the more Jump brands that get added, the more messy it would likely get for trying to actually localize it. And there-in lies the problem.

Takao said:

He's probably referring to ByKing (aka the Gundam Vs. Gundam Extreme development team made up of ex-Capcom talent). I don't think it was ever confirmed if Zenkai was their work or not, but to say that both that game and PVJ look overtly similar to Gundam Vs. should go without saying...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Hmm, if there's some way we can vote, my choices would be -

1. Starrk (Bleach)
2. Teppei (Toriko)
3. Crocodile (One Piece)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wait hang on, is this cross-over game based on Zenkai Battle Royale? If so... thats FANTASTIC news. Always wanted to have that get a console release, but now with other Jump characters it could be amazing!

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick. I hope online multi is in!

SykoTech

PS3/Vita multiplat.

Winner!

Might even have a shot at localization if it just has franchises that already has Namco has reign over. Not too sure about Toriko, but One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Naruto are already under their belt. But good news regardless. Namco's been making good move after good move a lot recently.

Assuming that the 3DS is one of the prizes though.

crinale

He's probably referring to ByKing (aka the Gundam Vs. Gundam Extreme development team made up of ex-Capcom talent). I don't think it was ever confirmed if Zenkai was their work or not, but to say that both that game and PVJ look overtly similar to Gundam Vs. should go without saying...

You nailed it. I was exactly referring to ByKing. The reason was the term "team battle action" was always used by Bamco to refer Gundam vs. series.
However, IIRC Zenkai wasn't done by ByKing so I think PVJ probably won't be either.

But one can always dream, right? :D

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Aren't Funimation releasing the Toriko dub soon? This could be good marketing. God knows more people need to get into this fantastic series.

Takao

Banned
Hmm, the scan shows Naruto, Ichigo, and that guy from Skeet Dance. I suppose you can choose them to be in this game?

Osaka15

Banned
That was my first thought aswell when I saw Gokus viewpoint and team battle being mentioned. I've always wished Zenkai Battle Royale would get a console port, but in its current state that wont happen, a JUMP crossover game on the same engine for Vita/PS3 is even better though! So hyped!

Yea this game will be better than I expected. It was a great decision by namco bandai to make the gameplay similiar to the zenkai battle royale arcade game. I can not wait to see the list of characters they choose.

Kurita

Hmm, the scan shows Naruto, Ichigo, and that guy from Skeet Dance. I suppose you can choose them to be in this game?
Pretty sure they are not related to the game.
I mean, there is Chitoge from Nisekoi and Hinata from Haikyuu in there.
They can't fight.

Top Bottom