• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project XCloud tested in Halo 5

Not one post mentioned the 5G potential. At best speed 5G can beat wifi.
At what cost?

I have 4g for £19 a month. How much will 3-5Tb cost a month to run a game via streaming when I can just buy the physical game or to download it in one hit.

What benefit is there to paying for 5g and streaming? It's insanity

Elenchus

Banned
Even if streaming works, I don't get what the need or demand is. Play games on a console or PC, I don't see why we need to stream? All it will do is alienate your consumers who can't stream due to internet restrictions.

If only all this time, effort and money was put in to VR instead.

Microsoft are yet again making the HD-DVD (streaming) when the Blu-ray exists (VR)

All VR will do is force MS to direct one or more of its studios to make VR games instead of standard ones. I'd prefer to have all 15 studios making standard games and MS enabling me to play those game anywhere I go. No interest in VR and I find that the people who claim its the future never mention the killer app that we all need to experience in VR.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
At what cost?

I have 4g for £19 a month. How much will 3-5Tb cost a month to run a game via streaming when I can just buy the physical game or to download it in one hit.

What benefit is there to paying for 5g and streaming? It's insanity
Who really knows because the tech is patented but it is different than 4G in that is is many more antenna's around the city that cost at lot less and have beam technology to target devices more specifically. Starlink sells antennas for 25 dollars supposedly that can beam 5G from internet in Starlink.

So it will depend from country to country like 4G. But you can theoretically buy your own antenna and improve the results where you want in the city. It is a frequency than can reach 300GHz up from 30. So I guess there will be different price antenna's for different areas.

But yes there is the concern of A 5 year old streamed fortnite HDR 30 days a month and forgot to turn on wifi.

Last edited:

Bani

If you are saying there is no lag, not sure whether to trust you with anything as far as your opinion going forward. Its not really an opinion, its an opinion as whether the lag is acceptable to you but to say there is no lag is just factually incorrect.
And what are you trying to say?

Bani

I never said that wasn't your personal experience, its just that your personal experience isn't very trust worthy as you apparently think there is no lag, so if you can't perceive lag like normal people.... why would anyone trust you as to whether the lag is acceptable or not?

I'm grasping at straws, its called science. Everyone else is reporting lag.... duhhhhhhh, and than they offer their opinion as to whether the lag is acceptable or not.... you on the other hand believe there is no lag. There is lag for displays even, some displays are not going to acceptable to everyone for latency and gaming.... same thing... its not whether or not there is lag.... that is a given.... its whether the lag is acceptable.
I've tried quite a few of the services over the years, I would say most of them are acceptable if one isn't paying for it, and its a single player game and doesn't require precise controlling.... but I would lying my ass off if I were to say there is no lag.... why? because that is impossible.

Most people on normal connections are going to be running 50-150ms lag on top of their existing setup.
You're getting boring with your bullshit, Man explained everything to you, what the fuck are you still looking for

All VR will do is force MS to direct one or more of its studios to make VR games instead of standard ones. I'd prefer to have all 15 studios making standard games and MS enabling me to play those game anywhere I go. No interest in VR and I find that the people who claim its the future never mention the killer app that we all need to experience in VR.
Each to their own but why would you want to stream games anywhere you go? You want to play halo on a tablet...where? What are you doing when not sat infront of a TV that is so uninteresting that you want to play games?

As for VR, it is the future. We havent seen a killer app because it's still relatively new. But those killer apps are just around the corner and MS are going to miss out again.

Elenchus

Banned
Each to their own but why would you want to stream games anywhere you go? You want to play halo on a tablet...where? What are you doing when not sat infront of a TV that is so uninteresting that you want to play games?

As for VR, it is the future. We havent seen a killer app because it's still relatively new. But those killer apps are just around the corner and MS are going to miss out again.

I travel between DC and NYC or Philadelphia all the time. I would absolutely love having access to my games on the train.

Just got back from Philadelphia yesterday matter of fact. Went to Halo Outpost for the first time.

They did have some VR experiences there but the lines were too long. So I think MS is working on VR in the background but hopefully are focused on AAA games like Halo Infinite.

If what I saw in the Ringworld experience was Halo Infinite...my GAWD...people are in for a shock.

They allowed no photos in the Ringworld...very interesting...

12Dannu123

You may be out of touch, but people want to play their games anywhere they want. That's why Mobile Gaming and the Switch are popular.

Playing a Xbox game and continuing it on your mobile device via XCloud is an attractive feature.

Last edited:
You may be out of touch, but people want to play their games anywhere they want. That's why Mobile Gaming and the Switch are popular.

Playing a Xbox game and continuing it on your mobile device via XCloud is an attractive feature.
Skinneramisooutoftouchnoitsthekidswhoarewrong.jpg

Maybe I am out of touch, but I was told the same bollox about Kinect, the cloud and AR (to name only Microsoft faux pas) and each time that ended the same way. I'll trust my gut instinct vs a fickle market.

Edit: just to add, console games and Mobile games are very different. I do think Nintendo are trying to bridge the gap but not many mobile games have the same depth of experience as a console game. Can you see the games industry making a new genre to accommodate the console/mobile hybrid kind of games? It would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Skinneramisooutoftouchnoitsthekidswhoarewrong.jpg

Maybe I am out of touch, but I was told the same bollox about Kinect, the cloud and AR (to name only Microsoft faux pas) and each time that ended the same way. I'll trust my gut instinct vs a fickle market.

Edit: just to add, console games and Mobile games are very different. I do think Nintendo are trying to bridge the gap but not many mobile games have the same depth of experience as a console game. Can you see the games industry making a new genre to accommodate the console/mobile hybrid kind of games? It would be interesting to see.

So you think Zelda BOTW was a “shallow” experience? Not sure many would agree.

Dane

That moment when you realize... This would mean that they want to the Candy Crush Saga player to step up.

stxjy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom