• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS All-Stars Update: New Stage, New Characters, New Minions (Patch Live)

KalBalboa

Banned
Patch Is Live, DLC Purchases Go Live Later Today

PS Blog Post: Kat & Emmett Join The Battle Royale

allstarsdlc-440x270.jpg

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has a pretty significant content update hitting today, with a patch already live on both the Vita & PS3 versions that adds a hefty dose of new material. Included in the update are:

Fearless: The new Heavenly Sword/Wipeout mashup stage. The stage will be $1.99 to download for offline matches, but anyone can play in ranked online fights with this stage once they download the free patch.

8466637142_057b236d8f_z.jpg

Rival Arena: Originally only available as the final arena for the arcade mode in All-Stars, today's patch opens up the Rival Arena for versus and ranked matches. Here's a cap from the Vita version.

8468185987_cac1725744_z.jpg

Kat (Gravity Rush): Everyone's favorite Vita heroine, complete with her cat Dusty and her gravity-defying moveset from her 2012 game. She can alter gravity and suspend enemies, not to mention zip around the screen as she did in her Vita debut. She'll have alternate costumes, three cutscenes, and everything else an All-Stars character comes with. She's free DLC for the first two weeks and then $4.99 to purchase after that.

Emmett Graves (Starhawk): LightBox Interactive's addition to the All-Stars roster. Emmett brings along his build-and-battle abilities to the game, allowing him to bring down turrets, new weapons, and even a hawk mech suit itself for one of his supers. Like Kat, Emmett will have his own arcade "story," rivalry, and alternate costumes. He's also free for two weeks and then $4.99 after that.

22 New Minion Characters:
  • Ashelin – Jak & Daxter
  • Buzz – Buzz
  • Carmelita – Sly Cooper
  • Colossus of Rhodes – God of War
  • Curtis the Panda – Carnival Island*
  • Dr. Nefarious – Ratchet & Clank*
  • Elena – Uncharted
  • Eucadian Soldier – Warhawk
  • Kuro – Doko Demo Essyo
  • Lil – Escape Plan
  • Logan Graves – Starhawk
  • Lucy Kuo – inFAMOUS
  • Mr. Grimm – Twisted Metal
  • Ninja – Fat Princess
  • Pirate – Fat Princess
  • Polyphemus – God of War
  • Raven – Gravity Rush
  • Rico – Killzone
  • Suzuki – Hot Shots Golf
  • Sydney Cutter – Starhawk
  • The Professor – Ape Escape
  • Visari – Killzone

*Free unlockables with patch

Both Kat & Emmett are 100% free for those who download them between today and Tuesday, February 26th (afterward you'd have to pay $4.99 to download them, but if you get them for free you have them for life). Fearless is a $1.99 download but can be played for free online, and the minions will be priced in bundles and individually later today when the store updates. There seem to be other small changes too, such as Dante getting a new character-select image, Rival Arena is now playable in versus and ranked matches, etc.

KalBalboa

Banned
I like that Fearless has a trophy specifically for using Nariko's level 3 on it. That'll mean she'll get a bump in usage for a few weeks online, I bet.

Pretty pissed the minions are paid too. They should be free considering how skimpy they were with unlockables. I'm ok with the stage being paid and the characters being paid later (I'm getting them now obv.) but the minions should be free :\

KalBalboa

Banned
You should mention that Rival Battle Stage is playable in ranked.

I mentioned it towards the bottom of the post.

Pretty pissed the minions are paid too. They should be free considering how skimpy they were with unlockables. I'm ok with the stage being paid and the characters being paid later (I'm getting them now obv.) but the minions should be free :\

Two of them are completely free and we don't know the prices for the rest as of yet. They're purely cosmetic additions, so it's really not that big of a deal unless you really want all 18 and it's $20 or something for them all.

I'll probably pay for 2 to 5 of them.

Kat (Gravity Rush): Everyone's favorite Vita heroine, complete with her cat Dusty and her gravity-defying moveset from her 2012 game. She can alter gravity and suspend enemies, not to mention zip around the screen as she did in her Vita debut. She'll have alternate costumes, three cutscenes, and everything else an All-Stars character comes with. She's free DLC for the first two weeks and then $4.99 to purchase after that.

tumblr_mcubswEUIV1ry6mn4.gif

KalBalboa

Banned
Apparently so. Just like Big Daddy, Fat Princess and Donte.

Big Daddy isn't recognizable? Bioshock 1 and 2 didn't sell millions on PS3? Devil May Cry isn't a huge franchise?

News to me. Can't see why people would complain about new (free) characters. Unless they were just desperate to try and crack-wise on a message board.

SykoTech

I hope they aren't expecting a lot of people to be willingly to pay for more minions. I don't even use the minions I have for free.

There seem to be other small changes too, such as Dante getting a new character-select image, the rivalry stage being opened up for matches, etc.

Wasn't aware of this. I guess we now have an official Final Destination stage.

How has the balancing been so far? I've only played it at a buddy's so far and it seemed....inconsistent with some of the player move-sets and ultimates.

Will definitely download the characters later. Also, I didn't know they were releasing new minions. Hopefully they aren't as expensive as the pre-order costumes.

Big Daddy isn't recognizable? Bioshock 1 and 2 didn't sell millions on PS3? Devil May Cry isn't a huge franchise?

News to me. Can't see why people would complain about new (free) characters. Unless they were just desperate to try and crack-wise on a message board.
Big daddy is just lol. And Dante is..nevermind I hope I can pick this up soon for the cheep cheep

Akira_83

Banned

hes recognizable least on playstation platforms

Bioshock came out a full year + earlier on xbox and PS3 version is worse

dante i can see, but it should have been old dante... thats what you associate with playstation. the new dante just screams cross promotion of upcoming game *wink wink* and i hate that

Zhengi

Minions? Is that like Assist Trophies or something like that?

From my time with the game, all the minions do is cheer you on. They appear when you do your special power move. Not sure what else they do since I haven't gone back to the game since I got Disgaea 3 and probably won't any time soon either since I got Persona 4 last night. I will download the patch for the free characters though :)

KalBalboa

Banned
hes recognizable least on playstation platforms

Bioshock came out a full year + earlier on xbox and PS3 version is worse

dante i can see, but it should have been old dante... thats what you associate with playstation. the new dante just screams cross promotion of upcoming game *wink wink* and i hate that

Big daddy is just lol. And Dante is..nevermind I hope I can pick this up soon for the cheep cheep

Also I doubt this'll boost the online community. Starhawk's free DLC didn't.

Like I said earlier:

Can't see why people would complain about new (free) characters. Unless they were just desperate to try and crack-wise on a message board.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Like I said earlier:

I'm not cracking wise, I'm stating facts: Game bombed. Free DLC that was announced isn't going to wow people into buying it. Population won't boost. So...

Good... for the people that are still playing or plan to purchase it before it goes out of print, I guess?

KalBalboa

Banned
Ok that is a fantastic way to way to do DLC.

Yeah, I kind of like having a huge dump of new stuff to unlock and experience like this. Also, having "Rival Arena" as a regular stage now is a nice perk.

I'm not cracking wise, I'm stating facts: Game bombed. Free DLC that was announced isn't going to wow people into buying it. Population won't boost. So...

Good... for the people that are still playing or plan to purchase it before it goes out of print, I guess?

I'm just saying it's eye-roll worthy how much of the same whining comes up in every All-Star thread, especially in the wake of good news on the game. Whenever something positive is mentioned you can be rest assured that Big Daddy & Dante are always page-one complaints.

Some people need to move on.

Nice to see Kat, but this game didn't do very much for me. I really only played it at a mates place. Tell me gaf, did i judge it too quickly? Its only $40 these days (I do own a vita so the cross buy is an added bonus) should i take the dive?

DigiMish

I expected the new stage to be free for the 1st 2 weeks.

$5 bucks per character (after 2 weeks) seems pretty ridiculous - they should have went with $2 characters to get more conversion.

KalBalboa

Banned
Nice to see Kat, but this game didn't do very much for me. I really only played it at a mates place. Tell me gaf, did i judge it too quickly? Its only $40 these days (I do own a vita so the cross buy is an added bonus) should i take the dive?

If you have PS3 & Vita it's a no=brainer in my opinion thanks to cross-buy and cross-saves. It's a great party game with an awesome fighting system and even more characters coming.

2 v 2 is my preferred way to play. The presentation is the part of the package that is lacking (although the opening cinematic is awesome).

I expected the new stage to be free for the 1st 2 weeks.

$5 bucks per character (after 2 weeks) seems pretty ridiculous - they should have went with $2 characters to get more conversion.

They're free. What else could you want? The goal is to reward early adopters and get more people to pick the game up this month. $5 for a new character, story mode, etc, seems reasonable.

Also, the stage has never been promoted as a freebie. $1.99 seems pretty lax in price too.

Minions

New me?

Anyway it is cool they are offering the characters free, even if it is for a limited time. Only thing you have to "buy" is the map if you want to play it locally.

Bioshock came out first on Xbox 360 and PC. Devil May Cry is a big PlayStation franchise. DmC: Devil May Cry isn't. It should have been the old Dante but no, cross promotion and whatever. I like PS All-Stars but it could and should been so much more. When you think of PlayStation you think of Snake, Crash, Cloud, Lara Croft (original one) and even GTA maybe get Claude from GTA 3 for that one since I can't see Ray Liotta being reasonable in cost. This game needed a much bigger budget and a developer with pedigree to be able to get the big characters and not a startup. That's the cold truth.

Fuck yes. Gonna be playing this and Ni No Kuni tonight.

Kat <3

Those are some pretty bad minions though, especially God of War. Why not Athena, Pandora, even Gaia, etc?

Step

Devil May Cry is a big PlayStation franchise. DmC: Devil May Cry isn't.

I must say that this doesn't make any sense to me, is kinda like saying no zelda is a zelda game because there is not really a solid connection, neither Final Fantasy games are Final Fantasy.

EDIT: I can' wait to try Kat and Emmett to see if I can finally find a character that fits me.

Top Bottom