• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog GDC Wrap-up: Indie Developers Choose PS4, PS3, PS Vita

Loudninja

It’s been quite some time since I’ve been on PlayStation Blog. To reintroduce myself, I am the vice president of publisher and developer relations for SCEA, which is a fancy way of saying that I’m working day-in and day-out with my team here to get the world’s best and brightest developers to bring their great gaming experiences to all of our PlayStation platforms.

Since my last post, I’ve joined SCEA and expanded the incredible team that focuses on fostering relationships with publishers and developers that share our goal of bringing the best games to you, the PlayStation community. With that said, the publisher and developer relations team has exciting news to deliver tonight.
  • Blacklight: Retribution – PS4
  • Primal Carnage: Genesis – PS4
  • Rain – PS3
  • Divekick – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Spelunky – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Velocity Ultra – PS Vita
  • Limbo – PS Vita
  • Metrico – PS Vita
  • Sportsfriends (including Johann Sebastian Joust, BaraBariBall, Hokra and Super Pole Riders) – PS3
  • Ibb & Obb – PS3
  • Guacamelee! – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Hotline Miami – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Dragon Fantasy Book II – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Thomas Was Alone – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Luftrausers – PS3 and PS Vita
  • Friend Network App – PS Vita
  • A Virus Named Tom – PlayStation Mobile
  • Beatdown in Treachery City – PlayStation Mobile
  • Crumble – PlayStation Mobile
  • Crystallon – PlayStation Mobile
  • Don’t Wake the Bear – PlayStation Mobile
  • Hermit Crab in Space! – PlayStation Mobile
  • Oh, Deer! – PlayStation Mobile
  • Rymndkapsel – PlayStation Mobile
  • Ten By Eight – PlayStation Mobile
As you may have noticed, our team is going full steam ahead by not only providing support for developers on our current platforms, but also for those working on next-gen titles. We’re expanding our indie support for PS4 with games like Primal Carnage: Genesis and Blacklight: Retribution, which will join titles like The Witness to ensure you’ll have great indie game experiences on your next gaming console.

This recent influx in developer support for PlayStation has come through our continued effort to create a flexible and developer friendly environment. We’re also focusing on burgeoning platforms like PlayStation Mobile by offering Unity support, coming later this year, to make it easier than ever for developers to bring their games to PlayStation-certified Android devices and PS Vita.

Over the next couple of days, we will be inviting some of the developers from the titles listed above onto the Blog to give you more information on their upcoming indie games. Stay tuned for more!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/25/gdc-wrap-up-indie-developers-choose-ps4-ps3-ps-vita/

Great to hear about Vita, it is an amazing system.

Isn't the sole mention of PS4 support because Microsoft haven't formally announced Durango though?

PS. Spelunky on Vita? Damn.

Redhood

Wow thats quite a support. Lets hope Sony spruces up the update of PSM so that it can latch on more and adds more countries.

Guevara

This is great, I'm as excited by indies these days as I am retail games. Sony would do well to become the home for these kinds of games.

sn00zer

I hope this turns out welll....taking big risks like these really bit EA in the ass at the beginning of the generation (Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, EA Partners Program)..... hope it all works out financially so we continue to see this support

Tizoc

Ctrl+F 'Mark of the Ninja'

Hmm...
I know it was published by MS, but I'm really hoping it'd get a release on PS3.

vivftp

PS3? CHECK!
Vita? CHECK!
PS4? Money tucked away in sock drawer waiting for it!

Gaming is going to take over my life, and I LOVE IT! :D

Great to hear about Vita, it is an amazing system.

Isn't the sole mention of PS4 support because Microsoft haven't formally announced Durango though?

PS. Spelunky on Vita? Damn.

Yep.

I hope these people follow through with their Vita promises. I'd love to have a reason to purchase one again after the inevitable US price drop.

Very glad to see Sony welcoming indie developers with open arms. The Vita is going to be the powerhouse indie gaming handheld this year.

Very glad to see Sony welcoming indie developers with open arms. The Vita is going to be the powerhouse indie gaming handheld this year.

I think they could carve out a healthy niche by promoting indie games on the Vita. :)

Microsoft better step their game up.. Sony is about to runaway with this thing!

I do think it is a bit of a mistake to let Sony have so much of the "next gen" spotlight for this long.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Spelunky on Vita?!?

And just like that, the Vita will become the handheld platform to beat for the best 2D platformers. Spelunky is THAT good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MS don't give a shit about indies. They were useful in the early years of 360, but now it's all about the extended media.
I wouldn't say indie games was ever particularly useful for Microsoft, or made them much money, but them pushing XNA and indie games right down to the end of the life cycle (with free Doritos competition games in recent years too), securing tons of XBLA exclusives every year and them generally pushing for more and more accessible ways for people to ease into development like Kodu and Kinect Labs kinda calls BS on this. MS always did more than they had to. Sony only really got their shit together towards the end/second half of the generation, but I don't think they compare with the lengths MS went to.

DiscoJer

Sony really pushing the Vita as a portable PS3. I approve.

Well, they've got the indie side covered, but I wish they were getting the full retail games, which is why I bought the Vita in the first place.

Bioshock just came out, where is Bioshock Vita? Did they even start on it yet? And what about Borderlands 2? Gearbox was almost begging for Sony to pay for porting it.

I wouldn't say indie games was ever particularly useful for Microsoft, or made them much money, but them pushing XNA and indie games right down to the end of the life cycle (with free Doritos competition games in recent years too), securing tons of XBLA exclusives every year and them generally pushing for more and more accessible ways for people to ease into development like Kodu and Kinect Labs kinda calls BS on this. MS always did more than they had to. Sony only really got their shit together towards the end/second half of the generation, but I don't think they compare with the lengths MS went to.

Minecraft was huge for them, I think. Shadow Complex was probably pretty big, too, though that might not really be indie. But it was a big deal at the time.

Muitnorts

Now just give me Super Meat Boy and FTL on Vita and I'll be set forever.
They're really doing a great job aggressively pursuing indie titles at the moment. I seldom play anything on PC but I'll happily nab quite a few of those listed on ps3/vita.

GulAtiCa

Sony & Nintendo are both hard at work at getting indies on board. Now all that is left is for Microsoft to do the same.

ReaperXL7

Given some indies opinions of working with MS and Live, its going to be very interesting to see how Microsoft handles its relationships with indie developers, because as it stands Sony seems to be plowing the road and getting everyone on board.

I just dont know if I can see Microsoft easing off control over XBLA to the same degree that Sony seems to be pushing for, some already seem to think tue only reason that developers, or indies are saying any of this is because the nextbox is not announced yet, and all I can wonder how true that really is when you look at some of the experiences shared this gen from various indie devs.

All I know is that this E3 is going to be probably the biggest in years, and seeing where the chips fall is going to be fun. If Sony can pull off a competetive price point for the PS4 that MS cant undercut by a significant margine this coming gen should be really interesting to watch.

This will all be moot to me though if MS is going to try and sell me a cable box though as netflix, hulu plus and blu ray cover me pretty well there, and im not paying extra for those features.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Minecraft was huge for them, I think. Shadow Complex was probably pretty big, too, though that might not really be indie. But it was a big deal at the time.

Microsoft only commissioned Minecraft after it blew up on the PC and Chair is owned by Epic. Shadow Complex is in no way an indie game and Minecraft is the perfect example of how Microsoft ignore indies and let them rot in the XBLIG ghetto until there's guaranteed money to be made.

serplux

Microsoft only commissioned Minecraft after it blew up on the PC and Chair is owned by Epic. Shadow Complex is in no way an indie game and Minecraft is the perfect example of how Microsoft ignore indies and let them rot in the XBLIG ghetto until there's guaranteed money to be made.

I actually recall (but cannot find the link) that Bit Trip Runner 2 only sold around 1,000 units during its first week on XBLA.

Aaron

I think having weekly game releases to span the shaky early years helped them gain momentum. They've also had big successes like Castle Crashers, Trials, Minecraft, etc. XNA encouraged indies to come to XBLA, but that was before the barriers start to come up. Kodu and Kinect Labs were bullshit. They were shoved out with basically no support, and died on the vine. That was the beginning of the end for MS as indies went. Even the games they published were tossed out with little to no advertising, and most of them sold better when they eventually showed up on Steam.

Sony is stealing Microsoft's ideas with their recent indie push, but they can only do it because MS has thrown away the support they had from indies. Instead of praising their service, you have developers saying what a mess of shit XBLA has become. How they can't afford patches, can't get a game on without a publisher, and don't sell worth a shit even if they break into the market. I'm not expecting sales to be better on PSN, but at least Sony is trying.

When Microsoft sees an indie game they like, they'll secure it, no matter what; even if Sony gets more independents, MS will absolutely go apeshit in securing the big blockbusters.

Aaron

When Microsoft sees an indie game they like, they'll secure it, no matter what; even if Sony gets more independents, MS will absolutely go apeshit in securing the big blockbusters.
Third party AAA exclusives are done. They're just too expensive to limit to one console. MS will continue to get timed exclusives on map packs and other add-ons. They'll only go after indies after they're popular, which means Sony will get there before them. While Microsoft will continue to push the new Xbox as an all inclusive media box.

Third party AAA exclusives are done. They're just too expensive to limit to one console. MS will continue to get timed exclusives on map packs and other add-ons. They'll only go after indies after they're popular, which means Sony will get there before them. While Microsoft will continue to push the new Xbox as an all inclusive media box.

I think you are underestimating them; severely underestimating them. Time will tell.

Back on topic: I applaud Sony for this, an open environment is one that fosters creativity and vision.

Superflat

That is a long list of games. And a lot of them were games that I thought the PS3 and Vita wouldn't see. Well done!

Keep the train going and don't stop!

Aaron

I think you are underestimating them; severely underestimating them. Time will tell.
I know what they could do. I just don't think they give a shit. They will continue to produce first party games and cut the occasional deal, like Minecraft, but the focus for the new system won't be on games. They care more about winning back the device most used as a Netflix box than having the highest game sales. They don't want to be the next PS2, or even Wii. They want to be the next ipad.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I actually recall (but cannot find the link) that Bit Trip Runner 2 only sold around 1,000 units during its first week on XBLA.

Probably because Bit.Trip fans are used to buying their games on other platforms. I'd have bought the entire series on XBLA but Microsoft clearly thought it best to pass on a brilliant game from an unproven developer and franchise until it started making bank for their competitors. I own them on Steam instead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I know what they could do. I just don't think they give a shit. They will continue to produce first party games and cut the occasional deal, like Minecraft, but the focus for the new system won't be on games. They care more about winning back the device most used as a Netflix box than having the highest game sales. They don't want to be the next PS2, or even Wii. They want to be the next ipad.

We saw how that worked out for them with the Surface.

Different divisions, I know, but I don't understand why everyone has so much confidence in Microsoft as if their success next generation is a given, especially when Sony has completely changed their attitude since 2006.

Top Bottom