• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog GDC Wrap-up: Indie Developers Choose PS4, PS3, PS Vita

KageMaru

I don't see an issue with the title, not sure why people are getting worked up over it. What else do you expect from a PS specific blog? We should be talking about and celebrating some of these awesome games like Primal Carnage.

Does Sony have sort of sdk or some that you don't need a hardware dk?

This is what I'm most looking forward to finding out.

I think they've slowed down a little in that regard. Still a good solid and somewhat diverse last year but you can tell things are winding down and they are focused on next gen.
Solid is understated. Both Beyond and TLOU are the biggest and most ambitious projects of both developers to date. If they both end up being great, that's an awesome last year for the PS3. Probably one of the best years ever for the system. They will go all out on PS4 in 2014 though that's true.

IMBored

So there's no plan for a XNA-type solution for home users? That sucks since I can't expect Sony to send me a kit to prototype and play around with. =/

The rumors say next month, no?

For PSM I think the tools are PC based, you'd only need a Vita or PSM compatible phone for testing. For the PS4, since it'll have Unity support you could make the whole game on Unity and buy the license and devkit when it's done.

KageMaru

For PSM I think the tools are PC based, you'd only need a Vita or PSM compatible phone for testing. For the PS4, since it'll have Unity support you could make the whole game on Unity and buy the license and devkit when it's done.

I'm sure the license and devkit are going to be more than a $100 a year though, which is my issue.

I guess I can always look at the PSV like you mentioned.

And you wonder why GAF is known as a Sony fanboy forum. What are they supposed to say, Indie developers chose iOS? The PS4 looks like a very appealing platform, but this whole "SONY ALREADY WON NEXT-GEN" shtick has got to stop. Microsoft hasn't shown anything yet.

Ah, let them have their fun. It's not hurting anyone.

A PR blog post? I was expecting an actual news article.

This will surely improve the dire Vita hardware situation for all those people waiting for indie titles.

Toki767

I did find it kind of funny that it's only day 2 of GDC and the PS Blog is already doing a wrap up. I guess there won't be too many other game announcements for them.

btkadams

I don't care where the the thread tittle came from. He should have had the sense to change it.

KuGsj.gif

it's always nice to see more indie games come to vita. isn't it kind of weird that they're doing a wrap-up already??? aren't there announcements to come still?

Loudninja

I did find it kind of funny that it's only day 2 of GDC and the PS Blog is already doing a wrap up. I guess there won't be too many other game announcements for them.
Yeah I guess so, we did see plenty of game announcements.

We also got release dates for other games as well.

Loudninja

Ibb and Obb may come to the vita as well depending on sales.
+ Richard Boeser on March 28th, 2013 at 10:40 am said:
Hi, it will launch on PS3 first. Depending on how well it does we can look at other options like the Vita. I hope it does well : )
+ Richard Boeser on March 28th, 2013 at 11:59 am said:
Basically there will be four ways of playing the game:
- Local two player (Two friends on a couch)
- Local single player (Also known as brain split mode)
- Online coop (You get matched to a random other player)
- Friend invite (Invite a friend to play online)
The single player is for those who want to test their multitasking capabilities : )
You control both players using the two analogue sticks.
There is no single player campaign or AI player since the whole game is really designed around the two player interaction.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...ment-prototypes-document-the-games-evolution/

Indie games not selling console. The average consumer does not even know what an "Indie games".

What the--

Do you even know what you're saying?

So when Microsoft was doing this with the Xbox, it was cool and dandy but when Sony does it...? Or is it that you really think there will be indie games and nothing else on the console? Or is it that you don't understand having variety, fun, and new small games wouldn't be a selling point?

You never know... Sony might catch an "Angry Birds" success on the PS4 or Vita if they keep this up.

thuway

It still upsets me no one is talking about Barkley Shut Up and Jam RPG. I want that game on the Vita yesterday.

Famassu

Especially since Microsoft haven't announced their plans yet. I don't see why these indie developers wouldn't want to be there as well, as a whole lot of them are already on PC.
If Microsoft continues their shitty practices they've come to use in recent years (not in the beginning of this gen, though, they are to be thanked of the DD revolution on consoles, after all) and with all the bridges they burned with some noteworthy indie developers (unless they mend them), they might very well be left outside a lot of the indie scene. Of course they'll probably still have their big "Summer of Arcade" level releases, but we might see Wii U & PSN take the edge unless things change a lot.

JoshHood

Listening to the new Playstation blogcast and they had a interview with the Primal Carnage dev and he said they're aiming to have it as a launch title. They're also taking inspiration from games like Far Cry 3 and Amnesia.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/28/playstation-blogcast-067-independents-day/
The interesting thing is that although they said launch, they also said they had nine months left. Assuming they meant of actual work, so there will still be certification etc, that doesn't place the launch until early next year. Even without that, we're talking December.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The extremely PC-centric Paradox Interactive (of Europa Universalis, Cities in Motion etc) is thinking of bringing something to PS4:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/28/ps4-project-from-paradox-wont-attempt-cheap-pc-port/

"There's something in the works – I can't say yet, but we are looking into it."

"We first need to make sure we can get the game running on the hardware, but the hardware is much more easier to work with than it was previously when I was at DICE on Battlefield, where there were struggles with Sony's hardware – especially the way they allocated memory. They've eliminated a lot of these hurdles [on PS4] and x86 makes it much more plausible that we can do it."

For now, "it's definitely a realistic possibility and something we'd like to happen, but we're not entirely sure we can deliver on that." He said it's a bit of an inverse scenario for Paradox, where the developer wants to ensure its PS4 game isn't interpreted as "a cheap PC port on console."

Having just played Thomas Was Alone on PC I'll definitely get that again on Vita. Great gameplay, fantastic soundtrack and probably the most emotionally engaging story I've come across in a game.

yurinka

You still need kits. Sony will provide kits though.
Not for PSM, you can develop and test them in your PC or normal Vita. They are targeting the same for PS4 indie games but as of now for this machine you still need an SDK, something they said they aim to change in the near future (once the console is out I assume).

Sony also sent devkits for free to several indie studios btw.

Vita is really carving out a future for itself as a very viable albeit niche player in the market. At this point, that's exactly what it needs to be doing. It's dead as a mainstream retail success, but it's got a hell of a lot to offer other area's of the market.

I bought and sold a launch Vita, and up until recently I didn't regret that for even a second, but between PS+ and recent gains with the indie market, I'm pining for one now.
You sir, have no visosn;-)

Platforms, take a while to officially die, and there's still no way of knowing where Vita will fit in for the next 4-5 years. Yeah, 3DS is selling extremely well, right now, but what happened with Wii? It was absolutely obliterating the other platforms and it took one of the hardest nose-dives I've ever seen in a system. Not saying that's what's going to happen with 3DS at all, but realistically, everyone isn't super excited about Pokemon XY Mario/Luigi games and Monster Hunter.

There is a market for other content, and for you to say "vita is going to be a niche platform" is not only being short-sighted, but fairly generalizing in your opinions. Vita, even without the Indy boom, would likely have sold more if it was the same price as 3DS. There's many factors/reasons in why people buy platforms, and really, there's no way of saying where a system will end up.

Before 3DS was successful Vita was the best things since sliced bread, and the $250 price tag was applauded.

3DS price-cut and major increase, Vita is in trouble.

Monster hunter only announced for 3DS and other Japanese 3rd party games, Vita is dead.

Japanese price-cut and surge of small Indy games, vita is the niche gamers machine.

See where I'm going? Once PS4 releases, then what will Vita's role be? The "Bedtime PS4" device? It changes and sways with whatever happens in the market. And the only thing I'm sure of is it won't go anywhere for at least a few years, and I find it quite awesome.

Bumhead

Banned
You sir, have no visosn;-)

Platforms, take a while to officially die, and there's still no way of knowing where Vita will fit in for the next 4-5 years. Yeah, 3DS is selling extremely well, right now, but what happened with Wii? It was absolutely obliterating the other platforms and it took one of the hardest nose-dives I've ever seen in a system. Not saying that's what's going to happen with 3DS at all, but realistically, everyone isn't super excited about Pokemon XY Mario/Luigi games and Monster Hunter.

There is a market for other content, and for you to say "vita is going to be a niche platform" is not only being short-sighted, but fairly generalizing in your opinions. Vita, even without the Indy boom, would likely have sold more if it was the same price as 3DS. There's many factors/reasons in why people buy platforms, and really, there's no way of saying where a system will end up.

Before 3DS was successful Vita was the best things since sliced bread, and the $250 price tag was applauded.

3DS price-cut and major increase, Vita is in trouble.

Monster hunter only announced for 3DS and other Japanese 3rd party games, Vita is dead.

Japanese price-cut and surge of small Indy games, vita is the niche gamers machine.

See where I'm going? Once PS4 releases, then what will Vita's role be? The "Bedtime PS4" device? It changes and sways with whatever happens in the market. And the only thing I'm sure of is it won't go anywhere for at least a few years, and I find it quite awesome.

I don't know how you managed to turn my generally positive post into thinking it was a negative one. Really bizarre.

As for the stuff about the 3DS, I disagree with you. I don't think the Vita ever will or ever would have competed with the 3DS, in terms of toe to toe sales. However, as per my post, I don't think it needs to.

I don't think the Vita will ever be a mass market runaway success. And when i say that, i mean i dont think itll ever compete with the 3DS sales, or historical DS or PSP sales. I think it'll end up being a really strong system, with a very strong library of games aided my an open attitude to indies, with good PS4 integration supported by excellent hardware. I also think it'll sell no more than 20-25 million units lifetime, and that's accounting for price drops, but if those users get what they want out of the system then who cares?

I think you took me saying "niche product" as being a negative, when it really wasn't. I don't give a shit how many units the Vita sells, but on its current software trajectory I'm itching to buy one.

AznSniper

I didn't know where to put this because I can't create a thread, but Tim Schafer and Double Fine were approached by Sony as interviewed by OPM. It would be interesting if Double Fine took advantage of the Pub Fund.

Tim Schafer on PS4: “We’ve got guys playing with the features to see what we can do with it”

Speaking to Schafer at this year’s PAX East he told me, “Let me just say we’ve been talking with Sony, can I say that? I don’t know, I think I might get in trouble”. Apparently the studio was approached by Sony directly, something that he considers unusual, “because we’re not Bungie, or let me put that in PlayStation terms, we’re not Insomniac”.

This initial contact seems to be more about stirring up interest and creativity than anything else. Schafer says, “This is one of the first times where we’ve been approached by a platform holder like Sony and asked, ‘first, what do you guys want from this new box? We have this new feature, what could you do with it?’” He then admits, “We’ve already got some guys playing with some of the new features to see what we can do with it”.

It looks like Sony’s ‘developer first’ PS4 strategy might be a winner here because when I talked about how it was being clever by focusing on what studios wanted, and approaching names like Jonathan Blow, he replied: “Yeah, I mean it’s not that hard to win over developers because all we want is to be treated with just a little bit of reason. Because often you just get told the most unreasonable, crazy things and you’re like ‘really? That’s how you’re going to treat us?’ Just doing things like letting us patch our games when we want to, put our games on sale and release our games in territories that they should be released in – just doing a few things like that can make a developer very enamored of you”.

Double Fine have been pursuing a self publishing route recently with titles like Stacking and The Cave on PSN and it doesn’t sound like that’s going to be changing anytime soon. When I asked Schafer if there was no going back to the more traditional publisher/developer relationship he laughed, “You can’t put us back in the bottle now, the genie’s out!”

Top Bottom