• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Home Closing March 31st 2015

wrowa

"Gamers in Europe will be able to download content until the 3rd of December, 2014"

"PlayStation Home fans will still be able to download content until 26th November 2014"

Ehm...

Was excited for it.
Went in shortly after it came out. Got confused. Left.

The only other times I went in were mistakes when I forgot what PS Home was and I was like "Oh, what is this?" and then was like "OH SHIT NO!"

Ambitious idea that will likely never be duplicated again.

By ambitious idea do you mean, a half-baked, never realized ripoff of Second Life?

Jonnax

I'm sort of sad to see it go. I remember the days when it was in beta thinking that this could really become something amazing.

B_Boss

due to a shifting landscape...

Wonder what's that bit about...interesting because as sad for some or many that this will be, the PS4 came onto the scene as a social gaming platform...surely someone at Sony thought about ways to make PS Home far better on their newest platform design with social gaming in mind at it's core...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Gamers in Europe will be able to download content until the 3rd of December, 2014"

"PlayStation Home fans will still be able to download content until 26th November 2014"

Ehm...

They mean Home content will stop being published as "new" on the 26th. People can still buy/download until the 3rd when Home officially starts shutting down.

SmithnCo

Surprised they still put of new content.

It was kinda neat in some ways, but the avatars were creepy, and the loading was atrocious.

Was excited for it.
Went in shortly after it came out. Got confused. Left.

The only other times I went in were mistakes when I forgot what PS Home was and I was like "Oh, what is this?" and then was like "OH SHIT NO!"

By ambitious idea do you mean, a half-baked, never realized ripoff of Second Life?

By ambitious idea I mean ... an ambitious idea.

Didnt know a game had to be a completely original idea for it to be ambitious.

SerTapTap

Second life on a console...was a neat idea but as said many times, was kinda poorly executed.

I honestly dont' see how they could have done much better without user created content which would have been practically impossible to regulate--the 18+ Second Life stuff would never fly on console. I agree it wasn't great, but I don't really think it could have ever been much more than it was. So much that makes Second Life what it is wasn't possible and there wasn't really any unique hook beyond Second Life's premise either.

Exile20

They got it back with all the stuff they sold on it i imagine. Some people bought a shit ton of things there :0

I do wonder what happens to the bought stuff? :0 like will people be able to access Home and just take random screens of their crap.

Btw camera feature was the best feature Home added. I remember taking soooo many screens. Good times.

Very much so apparently.

They were/are still releasing regular content for it and anytime i'd randomly log in in the past year it'd is full of people with premium items.

Was there anything official or are people guessing from what they see?

wrowa

They mean Home content will stop being published as "new" on the 26th. People can still buy/download until the 3rd when Home officially starts shutting down.

I thought the 12th is when they stop publishing new content? I'm totally confused by their statement, lol.

Robbit

Banned
Longest console beta ever? It was nice seeing the different Home spaces from other regions like Japan. Some of them were really detailed and interesting.

The last time I logged in to NA Home main space, thepool tables and bowling lanes were nowhere to be found. When were they removed?

It was a good idea with poor execution...
Really hope they do a serious reboot and bring it back to PS4 with a very serious attitude to making it decent....if only Sony had something to draw upon...or some sort of concept trailer for what PS Home could be.... oh wait they do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dR28fXFDMI

Yeah the idea actually is very good and could work with the right implementation.

Think about walking into someones " home " and seeing their Twitch broadcast right there on the TV without needing to even click on it. And then on the table is a controller you can grab and use and that would effectively activate the PlayShare feature if the host allows it.

Then you could walk around their house and view a trophy room, a wall with a visual representation of all their owned games ( or a DVD tower type piece of furniture with the games ). A library housing all the game manuals or strategy guides they own.

Turn PS Home into an actual virtual representation of a home. If you invite friends over into your PS Home those friends can then be easily brought into your game of DriveClub for example. Or you could add them instantly to your Destiny Fireteam. Or into your game of Diablo.

Shit like that.

I actually loved going into PS Home and going to the Theatre to watch trailers and such and BS with the other people inside. Was fun. A lot of good rooms made by third parties too. Home started out pretty rough but it actually got very fun starting a few years back.

TheSeks

I thought the 12th is when they stop publishing new content? I'm totally confused by their statement, lol.

You're right. I was going by the quoted bit not the OP bit.

Looking at the FAQ linked:

Q: What happens to all of the PlayStation Home content that I have earned and bought?
A: PlayStation Home fans will still be able to download content until 26th November 2014. You will be able to use any content you have earned and bought in PlayStation Home right up until the 31st of March 2015.

So basically what I said in a fashion:

New content will cease to be published on the 12th for Europe. You can buy/download until the 26th. Then Home basically "limps" to it's death 31st of March.

EGM1966

It was never for me - as executed anyway - but I guess it was a success in its own way; certainly reports indicate it was profitable.

Wonder if they're tempted to try it on PS4 - perhaps with their VR tech? It's almost scary to think of...

I dont think this is the end of home.

There is alot of potential of taking the best elements of home (watching trailers and integrating it with live from playstation.

Maybe a dedicated theather mode with avis

mreddie

I met a lot of good people on Home, even a girlfriend so I'm sad top see it go, I brought a house but I think that's it.

Eggbok

I think NA may follow, Japan/Asia was announced last month.

Home in no way is a failure though, not sure why people assume that because they personally don't use it.

TheSeks

Time for a new Home like experience with Little Big Planet Hub.

Oh yeah where is it? Was it turned into LBP3?

Supposedly "still coming" but a lot of people think it turned into LBP3, yeah.

Eggbok

Honest question, if it was a success why are they shutting it down, or not importing it to PS4?

We honestly don't know if they are/aren't bringing it to PS4 yet. It's probably not likely but who knows. It's still technically a beta. And for now anyways NA Home will still be around, but I'm sure at some point they'll be ending it in the coming months.

kevin1025

Banned
But where will I go? :(

I spent one day in Home with a friend. I harassed people and danced a lot. I then realized/remembered my PSN ID is my real name. I never returned.

It was all just a little too late for Home.

It was a nice idea, but the bubble had kinda burst on the whole habbo hotel, second life style experience by the time it released

Not to mention that the whole playing small quick games with friends online like the pool, bowling etc was more or less ruined by the fact that you could have similar experiences without having to load up, update and constantly struggle through its interface by using Facebook

The loading screens killed it for me. It would be pretty cool if they brought it over to Ps4 I did like going through it once in a while, it did have a pretty big following so I'm not sure why they're shutting it down.

Top Bottom