• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Now Beta Coming to PS4 Tomorrow

rezn0r

Not sure how much I should be saying.. I played through a game on the PS3 beta and it ran great, I was kind of surprised, and I'm hoping I get a PS4 code as well...

ieatzombies

It was needed. You had to provide a PSN ID and whatnot iirc. The process took about a month after you did it.
Figured. It's been awhile since I did that. I'm trying to sift through my email to see how long it took from when I filled it out to when I received the code.Like I said though, I believe it was close to a month. Ymmv

Atlas157

I keep seeing this thrown in response a lot when people make that point and it makes no sense to me. Why the hell would they care if you buy a PS4 or not? They make no money on PS4s. They make money on games. They'd make just as much if not more through PSNow if they followed the traditional sales model, eliminate the used game market, make piracy impossible, and keep much more control over the games that are 'sold'. It sounds horrible from a consumer rights point of view, but a wet dream from the perspective of a corporation.

If they didn't care about console sales then they wouldn't have made the PS4 and made the PS3 a game streaming box. They need the PS4 to sell because not everyone wants to play their games through a streaming service with delay and quality loss.

Hexa

If they didn't care about console sales then they wouldn't have made the PS4 and made the PS3 a game streaming box. They need the PS4 to sell because not everyone wants to play their games through a streaming service with delay and quality loss.

Exactly. They release a non online physical box because they have to, as consumers would crucify them like MS early on this gen if they did not. That absolutely does not mean it would be stupid of them to allow PS4 streaming to other devices in addition to that for the consumers that would take advantage of it, and seems like a natural progression of where they are going. And it is absolutely not a stupid thing to do from their point of view because the lost possible PS4 sales wouldn't matter at all.

Personally, I think the PS5 is going to be a super high end system for the core gamer people that are willing to shell out lots of money for it, but it'll launch simultaneously with PS5 games streaming to all devices for those that are not willing to pay as much, with a set top box (PS5 Mini or something) that will be marketed as a $100 cheap PS5 that requires always online.

To you guys who got the accepted invite email, you filled out the survey thing in the email right? You had to do that to actually get a code.

All I remember was getting the email, then clicking the link and doing stuff. Then it said wait for a code. That was almost exactly a month ago

UberTag

Sadly I don't think you are wrong. Apparently Sony doesn't think Canada is worth their time.
For a long while they didn't think selling PS4s in Canada was worth their time, either.
Because the dollar dropped a whole 4 cents US.

For what it's worth, they still regard Canada as more important than the Vita.

So, my account is on US PSN but I live in Brazil... will I be able to try it or I'll be blocked via IP? (supposing I get a code)

Caayn

Didn't find out that it was USA only till I needed to fill in my zip-code and I wasn't allowed to use letters :(

EL CUCO

Re-registered since I seem to have flopped on the first go around.

Damn it, Sony! I have PS3, PS4, PSVita, Bravia TV, Sony HTS, and Xperia Z1s...even named my dog Yosp. WTF??

Kidding about the dog :)

TheJLC

Ah, so as a PS3 Now Beta tester I still have to wait for a code for the PS4 version... I hope it doesn't take long.

You’ll need a new voucher code specifically to download the PS4 version of the Beta app. In addition to inviting a new bunch of Beta testers specifically into the PS4 Beta, we will also be working on getting PS4 codes to those already in the PS3 Beta.

If you are in this boat, be patient, and look for a code coming to your email inbox over the next week or so.

Caayn

Wait so it's separate from the PS3 beta? Stupid. If you're in that you should be in this.
Relax a bit. You'll get your code.

From the comments section.
Peter Jamshidi said:
Hi DZORMAGE,
You’ll need a new voucher code specifically to download the PS4 version of the Beta app. In addition to inviting a new bunch of Beta testers specifically into the PS4 Beta, we will also be working on getting PS4 codes to those already in the PS3 Beta.
If you are in this boat, be patient, and look for a code coming to your email inbox over the next week or so.

graywolf323

I still haven't gotten my code for the PS3 beta despite accepting the invite ~3 weeks ago... don't even want to think about how long it'll take to get the PS4 code

So what internet speeds and ping does one need to have at least a decent experience with this?
I'm on a wired 50/20 connection and most of the games ran like trash for me. They would either be very reponsive but have massive screen tearing issues or they would have a noticeable delay in input.

Not to mention the extremely bad compression.

Leb

The PS3 beta has noticeable input lag and compression. I'll see if the PS4 beta is any better.

I don't really see how this is anything that Sony (or anyone, for that matter) can fix. So long as the commodity Internet is slow and latent, there's only so much you can do.

That said, has there been any indication as to where precisely these data centers are located and whether they've secured any special peering arrangements with some of the big US-based ISPs?

Dug

Banned
I got accepted into the PS3 beta, filled out the email (think it was April 7th or somewhere around there) and never got a code. Though I did end up getting impatient and resubmitted the form more than once, maybe that is why.

Dafuck?

I have 15/5 (fuck Comcast) and except for some instances where it randomly got crappy I couldn't tell the difference between PSNow and native. :/
Did you double check to make sure no one in the house was downloading anything? Or maybe you live really far from the data center?
Practically next to one. And yes I made very well sure of it. I am just really sensitive to screen tearing and bad compression. Some don't even notice it.

Top Bottom