Someone at Sony must have run the numbers and deemed it to be worth it I guess. Maybe they also get less load on the network, which doesn't quite make sense either.30% or in my region 26.67%, price increase cannot compensate for the loss of 10% of customers.
47million subs, all paying purely hypothetical for the highest tier, 119,99€ right now plus the increase of 26,67% in my region.
That'll be 7.143.592.651€ for Sony with all people paying the increased price.
If, like you said, 10% of the subscribers drop out and the remaining 90% of the players happily pay the increased price, Sony just gets 6.429.233.385€
7.143.592.651 - 6.429.233.385 = 714,359,266
714,359,266€ is a huge loss if only 10% drop out right now, even if the remaining 90% are still paying. That's more than the cost of a AAA game today.
I guess yeah, if you look at the math for this, it's strange overall. Maybe Sony thinks only a few people on gaming boards will drop it and rest don't care?