• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Suite news - C# SDK coming November, content distribution from Spring 2012

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
iamshadowlark said:
You know, I can't really think of a better alternative for this type of platform but fuck if it doesn't temper some of my hype for this thing, especially considering VITAs specs.
Ultimately most people primarily focus on the graphics and that's where VM does the least damage anyway.

Or rather, even if they allowed native code you'd still be stuck behind shitty graphics abstraction layers that no amount of native code can help with. The worst thing that Mobiles did to the world was giving life-support to OpenGL...

Just like anything on Android:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalvik_(software)

it enables support over multiple difference devices. Only way it could be done.

Read: http://www.mono-project.com/Scripting_With_Mono It gives an overview of the way everyone is going (UI scripted upper level language) WP7, maybe Vita, PS Suite, and with the Gnome Desktop to be written entirely in javascript.

Use a Scripting engine for UI but critical code in C++ or C. PS Suite is using Mono as the scripting engine for UI and native language Game engines C++ ported and compiled on each platform. Mono is faster than Android, or used to be anyway.

For PS Suite Sony has to port native language game engines to every platform and Mono has to be written for every platform. With PS Suite provided by Sony on every platform the PS Suite applications are cross platform.

Just got an email that should be considered rumor as the author did not want his name mentioned:

Unlike some, I've been watching your digging up of facts with regards to Vita, the browser libraries and PlayStation Suite.

Now, you didn't hear this from me, but I can confirm that Sony is definitely getting PS Suite out on every phone OS with the strict exception of iOS. Suite is going to be big. It'll be on tablets too.

I've been talking to some ******** developers and they've told me flat out that the launch window will see a bucket load of gaming apps and non-gaming apps launched in quick succession.

I'm not too familiar with the deep technical details such as programming language etc, but I do know a few of the developments in the pipeline.

I've heard that Sony is pushing OS owners and handset manufacturers to have PSSuite pre-installed and visible on the OS of phones/tablets that are coming to retail. No idea how far that is along. Developers are on board and it would be quite a coup for manufacturers to have PlayStation support them.

Keep up the good work. :)
Most of this is expected and does not need to be confirmed except for every phone OS except iOS. This supports speculation that PS Suite will be on WP7 phones and might help confirm a Sony phone with WP7. Launch window??? CES for some features or Spring launch for everything?

patsu

Read: http://www.mono-project.com/Scripting_With_Mono It gives an overview of the way everyone is going (UI scripted upper level language) WP7, maybe Vita, PS Suite, and with the Gnome Desktop to be written entirely in javascript.

Use a Scripting engine for UI but critical code in C++ or C. PS Suite is using Mono as the scripting engine for UI and native language Game engines C++ ported and compiled on each platform. Mono is faster than Android, or used to be anyway.

For PS Suite Sony has to port native language game engines to every platform and Mono has to be written for every platform. With PS Suite provided by Sony on every platform the PS Suite applications are cross platform.

Just got an email that should be considered rumor as the author did not want his name mentioned:

Most of this is expected and does not need to be confirmed except for every phone OS except iOS. This supports speculation that PS Suite will be on WP7 phones and might help confirm a Sony phone with WP7. Launch window??? CES ?

The PS Suite plan sounds good on paper but is very difficult to execute, given that so many parties are involved. Kudos if Sony can get it right, but you may want to lower the expectation at the beginning.

Not sure if the library will be there at launch, or quick to build up (I doubt it). Probably mostly old PS games first.

The compatibility and performance may vary from devices to devices too. Usually need time to mature. As with all new software, there may be teething bugs here and there.

The PS Suite plan sounds good on paper but is very difficult to execute, given that so many parties are involved. Kudos if Sony can get it right, but you may want to lower the expectation at the beginning.

Not sure if the library will be there at launch, or quick to build up (I doubt it). Probably mostly old PS games first.

The compatibility and performance may vary from devices to devices too. Usually need time to mature. As with all new software, there may be teething bugs here and there.
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/31788-playstation-suite-set-spring-2012-launch/ said:
PlayStation Suite, Sony’s upcoming software framework that will be used to provide downloadable PlayStation content for devices that meet PlayStation Certified requirements, will be available in Spring 2012.

Speaking at a press conference at the Tokyo Game Show, Sony confirmed that a public SDK would be made available in November and games will be downloadable across a variety of Android-based devices, including PS Vita, in the Spring.
Applications may use Mono's webkit calls for UI and webview and I expect webkit2 to be needed. Most likely Mono will be using a custom GTK toolkit and the GTKwebkit2 is not finished. It should be done before the next Gnome cycle which is March and of course PS Suite's Spring launch comes after March and is vague enough that the Mono developer can have enough time to include support for the new APIs.

Sony is going to support RVU 2 with webkit used for the UI and webview for Dreamcast and will demo it at CES. This is most likely using the parts of the GTKwebkit2 that are finished like the Vita is doing.

http://squeak.org/ Original game OS, many ideas there for games.

For the most part a repeat of information from GDC but in Miguel de Icaza's words

MonoDevelop is built on top of the Gtk+ toolkit but Mono runtime can use one of several GUI toolkits to match the look and feel of a platform. Sony has provided their own GUI toolkit for PS Suite.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Latest PlayStation Certified phone - and also the first post-acquisition release (without the Ericcsson branding):

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/01/09/ces_sony_introduces_xperia_ion_smartphone/

ion_1.jpg

Exhibit A (above) is the Xperia Ion, announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) today. It's an Android boy with a 4.6in, 1280 x 720 display - bigger than yours, LG - a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU; a 12Mp camera on the back; 16GB of Flash storage; and HDMI output.

Sony said the PlayStation Certified Ion will go on sale in the US in Q2

It'll probably start getting a bit redundant to post about all these since I'm thinking every new phone from Sony from here out will be PS Certified...

Also, have to wonder - would this be smart enough to remove any overlay from PSone games when using hdmi-out? Just keep the button overlay on the device?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A bit more detail here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398521,00.asp

Notably: Sony's apparently committing to upgrading all their phones to Android 4.0, the Ion is US exclusive, and the Sony CES dude is quoted as mentioning PS2 games as being on the cards for PS Suite as well as PSone. Huh? Maybe ports of certain games, I would guess, rather than any emu as with PSone.

Takao

Banned
A bit more detail here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398521,00.asp

Notably: Sony's apparently committing to upgrading all their phones to Android 4.0, the Ion is US exclusive, and the Sony CES dude is quoted as mentioning PS2 games as being on the cards for PS Suite as well as PSone. Huh? Maybe ports of certain games, I would guess, rather than any emu as with PSone.

Nice to see they've dropped "Ericsson" from the branding.

I liked the logo, but it's time...

androvsky

It'll probably start getting a bit redundant to post about all these since I'm thinking every new phone from Sony from here out will be PS Certified...
Non-Android or non-Sony devices would be certainly more interesting if/when it happens, though I doubt that Sony's phone output over next several months is going to be enough to make it a real problem.

the Sony CES dude is quoted as mentioning PS2 games as being on the cards for PS Suite as well as PSone. Huh? Maybe ports of certain games, I would guess, rather than any emu as with PSone.
Aren't they already porting certain first-party PSP titles for PS Suite? I'd imagine it's the same thing, or they're looking forward to future monster devices than can emulate PS2 games. Remember the nvidia tegra 2 and PS Suite press release that mentioned PS2 games?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Non-Android or non-Sony devices would be certainly more interesting if/when it happens, though I doubt that Sony's phone output over next several months is going to be enough to make it a real problem.

Aren't they already porting certain first-party PSP titles for PS Suite? I'd imagine it's the same thing, or they're looking forward to future monster devices than can emulate PS2 games. Remember the nvidia tegra 2 and PS Suite press release that mentioned PS2 games?

Think that was just an nvidia news article thing. Although I think the most likely explanation for the CES comment, if accurate in the first place, would be ports ala those couple of PSP games. And that might be a big if, if it was a 'Sony Ericsson' person :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If you're referring to the leaked photos, do note those of the "Naomi" phone still had the SE branding on the front.

I've seen more official looking ones that just have 'Sony' but still have the green circle on the back.

ces20120xperias1.jpg

Xperia_S_D.jpg

I hope it's just a transitional thing...shame it's on the Xperia S at all, IMO it would be perfect without it. If it is just a PR klutz-up, great :)

Baki

A lot of questions are still unanswered one year later. Thats the problem with Sony recently. They are always behind and if they do come up with something forward thinking - they are always late to release it. That's one of the primary reasons I'm hesitant to get a Sony phone. Because they are always late with updates.

Anyways the questions that I currently have are:

1) Any new announcements for PS Suite - if not, when?

2) Should we expect non-Sony branded PS certified devices (Samsung? HTC?)

3) Should we expect a VITA phone? Xperia Play 2?

Anyways the questions that I currently have are:

2) Should we expect non-Sony branded PS certified devices (Samsung? HTC?)

3) Should we expect a VITA phone? Xperia Play 2?

1) Should be early Feb. Developers have things ready for it and I would imagine Sony would want it released for the Western Vita launch or shortly after. The drip feeding of announcements should start soon. We've seen some ESRB leaked game titles for example.
2) Yes.
3) No idea.

A lot of questions are still unanswered one year later. Thats the problem with Sony recently. They are always behind and if they do come up with something forward thinking - they are always late to release it. That's one of the primary reasons I'm hesitant to get a Sony phone. Because they are always late with updates.
Developers do know what's going on. It's probably not Sony's fault. PS Suite uses a Mono VM and Mono, a apx 2.5 meg Virtual machine uses APIs of various cross platform software libraries available on multiple platforms to provide cross platform support. Mono in and of it'self can't do much...it needs to use native libraries on the target platform.

Not confirmed (I'm not a developer) but I suspect that as in the past with Mono on Linux and Unix platforms for commercial use; Cairo, Gstreamer (GST-OpenMAX if codecs are supported with OpenMAX IL) and webkit will be used to support applications. Game engines and Physics engines have to be provided for each platform and Mono has to know how to API use them. Point is that Gstreamer just went through a major update with API changes that was supposed to be finished October 28. They (Collabora) admit it's mostly done but that there will be a 2 month delay.
Jan 23 said:
Tomorrow I will be heading off to attend the GStreamer Application Porting Hackfest in Malaga, Spain. I think we have managed to pull together an absolutely incredible group of people for this event and I have great hopes that by next weekend we will have squashed a ton of bugs in GStreamer 0.11/1.0 and also have initial ports of a long range of important applications and bindings.
http://heisenbugs.blogspot.com/2011/11/gstreamer-on-android-ndk-way.html said:
Long story short; thanks to my employer, Collabora, I have been working on getting GStreamer built and installed as a native support library under Android using the NDK. We had this working and announced for last GSTConf at Prague but there were a few details to iron out to get our work in shape for external testing.

The idea behind this adventure is showing the world you can benefit from this marvelous, swissknife-like media framework under the green droid's platform utilizing a least intrusive path.

We worked a few months ago on having GStreamer built as part of Android itself and while I do believe that approach should benefit system integrators rolling out their own customized Android version, it has the drawback of requiring both patching and building the entire Android OS and having administrative (root) access to your device. This is arguably not a problem for the most adventurous among you but we figured out providing a way to benefit from all the goods in GStreamer without forcing you to perform any major hacks was worth trying. So we did.
using "GStreamer 0.11/1.0" means part of Gstreamer is still the unstable 0.11 version and part is the 1.0 stable next generation API version.

Webkit2 for Linux and Unix (GTKtoolkit - QT toolkit), this impacts the Vita and PS3, is not API finished but it's supposed to be completed sometime before March 28 2012. Edit: I made an incorrect assumption as Gnome's browser was going to be done and using Webkit. Turns out webkit2 is not being used by Gnome's browser. Webkit2 is to be up to webkit1 API features by the next Gnome cycle Sept 28th 2012.

PS3 is using a modified GTKwebkit2 port converted to what Sony calls a POSIX/Cairo port and for Vita we have no information. PS Suite is going to use a custom Sony developed UI toolkit that I believe is a modified GTK UI toolkit probably like the one in the Sony POSIX/Cairo port that uses a GTK modified toolkit.

If PS Suite is to support Windows Phone platforms...I don't know how that will work as Mono can API use Microsoft Codecs and software to provide Moonlight, a Silverlight clone, support on Linux platforms for non-commercial use with the same functionality Mono Moonlight provided for Linux Commercial applications using Gstreamer and (Gecko) now webkit too. For applications that are Mono Moonlight clones of Silverlight....why even use Mono, just use the Silverlight code directly. Games would still have to go through Mono. Interesting, anyone know if this is possible?

Galvanise_ said:
1) Should be early Feb. Developers have things ready for it and I would imagine Sony would want it released for the Western Vita launch or shortly after. The drip feeding of announcements should start soon. We've seen some ESRB leaked game titles for example.
Good to hear. I commented earlier that I expected NDAs to be satisfied soon and multiple blog posts like we got from Charles Ying (Sony Video Unlimited Oct 2011) and Miguel de Icaza (Mono - PS Suite Nov 2011).

Isn't just about everything supposed to be released this Spring?
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2012/01/24/ps3-video-editor-playmemories-studio-out-by-march-for-a-price/ said:
A Sony product demonstrator confirmed to us that PlayMemories Studio for PS3 would be out by the end of Q1
PlayStation Suite, Sony’s upcoming software framework that will be used to provide downloadable PlayStation content for devices that meet PlayStation Certified requirements, will be available in Spring 2012.
End of April? Spring could be beginning of April..... March of 2011 Sony disclosed Cairo and Webkit, will they do the same with Gstreamer and an updated webkit March 2012
Edit: Newer Webkit2 disclosure March as expected but no Gstreamer disclosure.

tino

Banned
Does Sony really want to release PS Suit on WP7 platform? Really?!?

First of all, why would MS allow it.

Second, the WP7 market is so low Sony might as well port it to the dead Nokia S40 platform and it still make way more sense than WP7.

Does Sony really want to release PS Suit on WP7 platform? Really?!?

First of all, why would MS allow it.

Second, the WP7 market is so low Sony might as well port it to the dead Nokia S40 platform and it still make way more sense than WP7.
Don't know...there is the Microsoft Domain registration of Microsoft-Sony and Sony-Microsoft everyone is trying to fit into some partnership between the two. Windows Phone operating system is supposed to be compatible in some way with the current Xbox dashboard. Microsoft probably has plans similar to Sony's and Sony purchased the Ericsson stake in Sony-Ericsson.

Nokia recently dropped QT Linux MeeGo in favor of Windows Phone.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/nokia-ceo-stephen-elop-rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin/ said:
The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem.

Augmented Reality according to Khronos has a September 2012 target. http://www.khronos.org/assets/uploa..._ISO_SC24_Update/Khronos-SC24_Seoul-Nov11.pdf

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wasn't TOTALLY sure if this was new thread worthy...a mod can split bump if they wish.

Rumour: PlayStation Suite coming to HTC devices in 2012

HTC is to be one of the first companies outside Sony that will be getting PlayStation certification for its mobile devices, sources have confirmed to Pocket-lint.

The announcement expected later this year, possibly at the forthcoming trade show Mobile World Congress in Barcelona

When we asked HTC about PlayStation certification for its devices, the company said it couldn't "comment on rumors or speculation". However, our source suggests that certification will be awarded in the second half of 2012.

Very good news, if true.

Wasn't TOTALLY sure if this was new thread worthy...a mod can split bump if they wish.

Rumour: PlayStation Suite coming to HTC devices in 2012
Very good news, if true.
I've seen the same at Engaget. And from a post above yours....

Galvanise_ said:

Should be early Feb. Developers have things ready for it and I would imagine Sony would want it released for the Western Vita launch or shortly after. The drip feeding of announcements should start soon. We've seen some ESRB leaked game titles for example.

2) Should we expect non-Sony branded PS certified devices (Samsung? HTC?) yes

Three of my five predictions for the PS3 have now been confirmed.
1) New Browser (webkit, no WebGL, no HTML5 <video> yet, both necessary for YouTube 3-D viewing in the browser announced coming 1.5 years ago by Sony employee).
2) New DLNA Coming (needed for RVU, announced by Verizon for the Xbox and PS3) spring or sooner (Vita is supposed to control the new PS3 DLNA renderer)
3) New video editor coming (announced by Sony) spring

Mario007

It would be nice if sony certified their 2011 xperia range as well. i know they weren't getting the certification before because of xperia play but now with ion and S getting it and also HTC phones too it would be silly not to roll out on those millions of xperias that are already other there

osknoes

Now that the VITA is out, has anyone had in his hands a PSSuite SDK or something similar ?

I signed up for the beta program, but I haven't received any response from Sony yet.

Sony really needs to give access to people to start developing stuff for VITA. It's just how the market is now, they have to do so. to ALLOW the VITA to be successful an attractive.

Now that the VITA is out, has anyone had in his hands a PSSuite SDK or something similar ?

I signed up for the beta program, but I haven't received any response from Sony yet.

Sony really needs to give access to people to start developing stuff for VITA. It's just how the market is now, they have to do so. to ALLOW the VITA to be successful an attractive.
The Vita OS is not finished...EGLstream, HTML5 <video>, WebGL, WebSVG are not supported yet if we can go by the state of the Vita Browser. If the Vita OS is not finished how can PS Suite support API calls to unfinished Native libraries.

Khronos just published this month, meeting notes and OpenMax IL 1.2 specs (from Oct-Nov 2011) which are necessary to support EGLstreams & Camera features to support AR as well as Open Source codecs and more for a Browser or IPTV streams. Whatever (my guess is Gstreamer) Native IPTV player and Webkit2 to be API called by Mono to support applications (PS Suite applications) will also support Augmented Reality.

Today (Feb 16, 2012) both the Xbox and PS3 received updates and Khronos announced the release of the OpenMAX IL 1.2 Provisional Specification Which when you examine the OpenMax PDF has a Nov 2011 publish date. You might also note that Flash got an update today also to Flash 11.1 and Air to 3.1 with Sony updating the PS3 to 4.11 and the Vita is getting a 1.61. VLC updated on the same day to VLC 2.0 .

OpenMax 1.2 was delayed from 2008 till 2011 (Clicking downloads a PPT file) This might help explain the PS3 delays during the same timetable. Gstreamer mentioned as a possible Middleware player being supported by OpenMax in this 2007 powerpoint presentation.

Both the Xbox and PS3 received minor updates today. As in the past a wait till the standard is published before updating the firmware even though these standards are developed with input from Sony and others and Sony may have had a finished/final version for weeks.

Google uses OpenMax provided by hardware vendors to support Android. Gstreamer 1.0 and OpenMax 1.2 look like they support each other or rather the issues Collabora announced as needing attention for production ready Gstreamer-OpenMax wrappers.

Argyle

Funny you should mention this, I signed up a while ago and literally just got my invite in my email overnight.

I haven't downloaded it yet but I will soon...

Sony's First Windows Phone to be Revealed on Sunday?

Is Sony working on a Windows Phone? That has been the rumor since early 2011, and Sony has even reportedly not ruled out the possibility, indicating that it was waiting to see how Windows Phone evolved. But now it seems that we'll see an actual product sometime soon, perhaps even next week during Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

This latest report stems from a new prototype image of the supposed Sony-based Windows Phone, codenamed "Julie". The source claims that it's indeed Sony's first, and will announce the product next week during the show. The prototype still sports the same slider form factor as seen in the initial leaked image seen last year (on right).

So why would Sony choose to sell a smartphone with Windows Phone installed? Why not? Wouldn't it be interesting to see a Windows Phone that's also PlayStation certified? It would definitely appeal to the gamer who likes to play on both teams (Xbox, PlayStation). And it wouldn't be surprising if Sony is already close to releasing the PlayStation Suite for this platform as well.

Regardless, if the source is right, then we'll see this phone next week at Mobile World Congress -- Sunday, actually, as that's when Sony has scheduled a press event. Until then, everything you see and read is mere rumor and speculation. The Truth Is Out There, you just have to wait for it.
I'd guess we might get confirmation of the HTC rumor at the same Sony Press conference mentioned above.

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but the current version of the PS Suite SDK - 0.97 - does not support Vita debugging. Simply put, we're currently unable to deploy our apps to the device for testing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A couple of comments from Hirai re. the Xperia Play from a MWC interview with the Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204653604577247520848964452.html

However, Sony Mobile doesn't have any immediate plans to have another go with the Xperia Play device, the hand-held game-console smartphone with a Sony PlayStation gaming function that the company unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona a year ago.

The Xperia Play flopped with fewer than 700,000 units sold globally during its first three quarters, according to estimates by market research firm Canalys.

It was a good example of how Sony was reluctant to plow its own brand into the Sony Ericsson joint venture.

Sony, without full control over Sony Ericsson, was concerned that the Xperia Play would cannibalize on its own hand-held PlayStation Portable, or PSP, device, which led consumers to complain about the lack of PlayStation games made available for it.

"If we believe that we are able to provide a cutting edge gaming experience, together with a compelling communications experience, we will look at such a device. But we don't want to end up with a product that is a compromise," Mr. Hirai said.

I wonder what an uncompromised, 'cutting edge game experience' phone looks like to Hirai... Sounds to me like any future 'playstation phone' will be more of a whole-hog effort.

I kind of think Play came at the wrong time though. They should have launched it when Suite was ready to roll out. They basically launched the hardware without the software platform...SE did a reasonable job attracting games and game deals for it, but it wasn't a 'Playstation' software effort. It came 18 months ahead of that.

tino

Banned
A couple of comments from Hirai re. the Xperia Play from a MWC interview with the Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204653604577247520848964452.html

I wonder what an uncompromised, 'cutting edge game experience' phone looks like to Hirai... Sounds to me like any future 'playstation phone' will be more of a whole-hog effort.

I kind of think Play came at the wrong time though. They should have launched it when Suite was ready to roll out. They basically launched the hardware without the software platform...SE did a reasonable job attracting games and game deals for it, but it wasn't a 'Playstation' software effort. It came 18 months ahead of that.

It had more to do with Sony's divisional infighting. The PSP Go/PSP minis failed for the same reason. And they had complete freedom to design PSP Go or Minis.

bluemax

Banned

Just a heads up but I got an email welcoming me into the developer BETA program on the 24th which I didn't notice until today. I've got the SDK downloading on my home machine at the moment.

Yeah, beta in April, final release this year, dev / SDK licence $99, sounds perfect. Hopefully we'll find out the truth soon - GDC wouldn't be a bad time for releasing more info. ;)

While searching for articles that might indicate PS Suite (Mono) using OpenVG rather than CairoGL as OpenVG is used by the PS3 and Android, is part of Khronos standards and might reduce overhead in PS Suite, I found the OpenTK toolkit.

http://www.opentk.com/project/opentk said:
The Open Toolkit is a free C# library that allows.Net/Mono programs to use OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL. It is intuitive, fast, cross-platform and usable by all .Net/Mono languages.

The main features of OpenTK:
Type-safe bindings for OpenGL 3.2, OpenGL|ES 2.0, OpenCL 1.0 and OpenAL 1.1, with automatic extension loading, inline documentation and error checking.
Flexible GUI options: Windows.Forms, GTK#, WPF or high-performance GameWindow.
Integrated math toolkit (vectors, matrices, quaternions), directly usable by the bindings.
Mouse, keyboard and joystick input.
Support for multiple monitors.
CLS-compliance. OpenTK is usable by all .Net/Mono languages, including C#, VB.Net, C++/CLI, IronPython and Boo.
Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and other Unices without recompilation!
I can't find any reference to Mono using OpenVG...Cairo can use openVG as a back end but OpenVG if you look at version 1.1 looks like it is evolving toward Cairo functionality with support for Text. Anyone have more information on this? This quote from 2009 seems to support:
http://www.opentk.com/node/1020 said:
I know that it's planned to support OpenVG later in future. And that's ok. But before that is done I'd like to propose some thoughts and ideas. OpenVG 1.1 is nice open standard for 2D rendering engine. It's main target mobile devices, but it's also declared for engine for device independent UI framework. One of such framework is Flash and that's even declared in OpenVG 1.1.
EDIT: Sony is using Khronos EGL which provides support for OpenVG and OpenGLES2. The PS3 XMB is OpenVG with LIMITED OpenGLES support (what's New and animation (particles)) probably to reduce the memory footprint. OpenVG SVG script is nearly identical to the 2D script in Cairo so the CairoGLES library on the PS3 can be editied to use OpenVG for 2D and use the existing Cairo-eGL which requires OpenGLES2 for 3D.

The same EGL support & Cairo is planned for Wayland (OpenVG + OpenGLES2). Android has OpenVG and OpenGLES2 and an edited CairoGL library that uses OpenVG and OpenGLES could be internally part of PS Suite.

If I could program games / apps that work on the Vita, mark my words; I will!

Couple of ?s:

- Any recommendations on good C# books?
- Is there any info on the extent of producing Vita games / apps? I don't expect PS Suite Vita Exclusive games / apps, but it's possible and would be quite nice.
- Leading off the previous question, can games / apps be made for Vita that use its buttons and rear touch pad, or will they be touchscreen only to match the other PS Certified devices?

I'm in love with the Vita and for a while I've been looking into coding some games / apps for the App Store, but I don't like 'i' devices. But the Vita, OMG that Vita...

RuGalz

If I could program games / apps that work on the Vita, mark my words; I will!

Couple of ?s:

- Any recommendations on good C# books?
- Is there any info on the extent of producing Vita games / apps? I don't expect PS Suite Vita Exclusive games / apps, but it's possible and would be quite nice.
- Leading off the previous question, can games / apps be made for Vita that use its buttons and rear touch pad, or will they be touchscreen only to match the other PS Certified devices?

I'm in love with the Vita and for a while I've been looking into coding some games / apps for the App Store, but I don't like 'i' devices. But the Vita, OMG that Vita...

The SDK doesn't have Vita stuff right now. Maybe it will by open beta.

Mono 2.11.0 is out

Mac Support

Mac support has been vastly extended, from faster GC by using native Mach primitives to improves many features that previously only worked on Linux to extending the asynchronous socket support in Mono to use MacOS X specific primitives.

New Ports

We have completed the Mono MIPS port.

Noticed Sony Music unlimited is now supported on iOS. MIPS support can mean that Mono now supports some Networked TVs.....

Or the PSP ... ;) (has two MIPS processors if I remember correctly) Not that I would expect having 32+4MB of RAM is going to cut it ...

Top Bottom