• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita firmware 1.8 is the one to watch for PSOne Classics

SHarris78

I'm a little confused with this ps1 support patch. I recently bought Silent Hill 1 off PSN for my PS3, does the 1.8 patch mean i can download and play it on my Vita ?

dsigns1

I'm a little confused with this ps1 support patch. I recently bought Silent Hill 1 off PSN for my PS3, does the 1.8 patch mean i can download and play it on my Vita ?

They havent announced the list of games that will be compatible, but they have said that you will not have to repurchase games you already own. So when Silent Hill is compatible, it will work on your Vita.

I'm expecting tomorrow only obscure, niche games will work and the big titles to be "TBA" on the store.

Then when it does work,transfarring(I always had a feeling this was a made up word) will be limited and the games will be at a 4:3 aspect ratio with no smoothing.

Expect the worse people so you can be excited tomorrow.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm expecting tomorrow only obscure, niche games will work and the big titles to be "TBA" on the store.

Then when it does work,transfarring(I always had a feeling this was a made up word) will be limited and the games will be at a 4:3 aspect ratio with no smoothing.

Sounds good.
Who wouldn't want PSX games to play in 4:3?

Sounds good.
Who wouldn't want PSX games to play in 4:3?

Yup it's going to be great playing FFVII again in 4:3
playstation_Final_Fantasy_VIICombat.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJJ3AoLH94XCWfrGuV4uh8AWk4S7KTDRBC4zxRuKVcglW1I3kwPw&t=1[IMG][/QUOTE]
You had no point.

These games are made for 4:3 only.
But I'm sure they'll put in the option to have them stretch out and distort the image for the weirdos who play like that.

VanWinkle

I'm mostly excited for the firmware stuff (and hoping that there is more to it than what has already been talked about), but it will be nice to play some PSone games. I'll probably just play the three Crash games and Crash Team Racing.

Branson

I think my favorite emulation of psone games (other than epsxe of course)was on the ps2. I'm still surprised they had the smoothing option for that back in the day. Made games look fantastic. I feel like that's the last time any of the huge console manufactures tried with emulation to actually enhance the games, as I feel like they should.

see5harp

Why would you want a 4:3 game stretched to 16:9 with a blur filter? I had a PS3 with full PS2 b.c. and more often than not was more irritated with the filters and upscaling. It looked worse to me than just plugging in the PS2.

mattp

I think my favorite emulation of psone games (other than epsxe of course)was on the ps2. I'm still surprised they had the smoothing option for that back in the day. Made games look fantastic. I feel like that's the last time any of the huge console manufactures tried with emulation to actually enhance the games, as I feel like they should.

well, the ps2 didn't really emulate much i think?
sony used the original psx processor as the i/o processor in the ps2 so they got BC for "free"

KalBalboa

Banned

Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Twisted Metal 2, Tomba!, and Final Fantasy 7 are all confirmed for tomorrow, which are arguably some of the biggest and least niche games for the console. I'm holding my breath on FF8, Medieval, Future Cop: LAPD, and a few other heavy hitters for me, but the few confirmed games are basically the biggest and best of the bunch.

I say the update comes late tonight for NA.

Yup, that's what i've been thinking.

I hope you guys are right. I wont hold my breath, but you're right when we look back at past firmware releases.

Castcoder

Banned

There's smoothing for PS2 games on the PS3...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Twisted Metal 2, Tomba!, and Final Fantasy 7 are all confirmed for tomorrow, which are arguably some of the biggest and least niche games for the console. I'm holding my breath on FF8, Medieval, Future Cop: LAPD, and a few other heavy hitters for me, but the few confirmed games are basically the biggest and best of the bunch.

Would be sweet to play Future Cop, how come EA never got the Strike series on PSN, unless I have missed them, they would be pretty sweet to play.

Branson

well, the ps2 didn't really emulate much i think?
sony used the original psx processor as the i/o processor in the ps2 so they got BC for "free"

Oh I see. I wasn't sure. I never really looked up how they did it. I just remember being excited that it added AA to games and had faster loading, etc.

There's smoothing for PS2 games on the PS3...

Yeah, I didn't think it was the same thing. It doesn't add AA just kind of filters the image I thought?

KalBalboa

Banned
I felt compelled to make this post.

1325269448-.jpg

562855_45372_front.jpg

Twisted_Metal_2.jpg

final-fantasy-viii-box-artwork-ps1.jpg

CrashTeamRacingNACover.png

I miss these days. I can't wait to have all of these on my Vita (some sooner than others).

Top Bottom