• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita fw 2.00 now live

Grinchy

Banned
I am so thrilled by the wifi transfer for content. Haven't tried it yet, but assuming it works, that makes things so much better for me. I have the charger just sitting on the floor near my PC because of how often I'd have to remove the data cable. No more of that shit.

And the cloud saving for Vita stuff might make me actually pay for Plus when my free month runs out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope, I checked earlier.

Well, fuck Sony. >:| Two steps forward, one gigantic leap back. FFS, they allow you to now pinch-zoom the PSX emulator but they can't allow you to even have a set/original aspect ratio for the PSP? Talk about dropped balls.

Aren't PSP games and PS Vita games both 16:9?

I'm not talking the ratio "ratio" I'm talking pixels. PSX emulator lets you set it at 320x240 resolution/ratio. Whereas the PSP emulator blows that up from the original 720×480 to where it looks horrible with most titles.

Skyzard

Banned
Well, it's still the same as before so not really a step back ;) Shrinking may be a nice option for some though yeah.

The ability to squash/stretch the pictures in PSone games is fantastic. Now if we could just get fully-customisable controls (including being able to map shoulder buttons to the right stick) the PSone compatibility would be just perfect.

You can do that.

Skyzard

Banned
Where can i find content manager on the PS3?

It's not on PS3, only mac/pc. But you can still transfer to ps3 via content manager on vita.

Oh for cloud saving - yep on the vita app. On PS3 I've seen it on the menu options when selecting a game at the dashboard - just click triangle (I think) and the icon will be on the list.

alterno69

Banned
Nice update, posting fom mivita too, finally putting the awesome keyboard to use. Can't wait for the plus stuff to go live tomorrow.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well, fuck Sony. >:| Two steps forward, one gigantic leap back. FFS, they allow you to now pinch-zoom the PSX emulator but they can't allow you to even have a set/original aspect ratio for the PSP? Talk about dropped balls.

I'm not talking the ratio "ratio" I'm talking pixels. PSX emulator lets you set it at 320x240 resolution/ratio. Whereas the PSP emulator blows that up from the original 720×480 to where it looks horrible with most titles.

I don,t get what you are trying to say, you mean you want to play the game in 1/4 the size on the vita? Because each pixel is on the psp is mapped exactly to 4pixels on the vita. That is perfect scaling if you are playing full screen.

I have no idea why you would want to do that to be honest. I would imagine playing a psp game on 1/4 of the vita screen to be unplayable. The vita screen is big, but not THAT big.

Have we always been able to flip through open apps with the shoulder buttons?

My favorite feature of the new update: cloud saves, followed by the improved browser.

2.0 takes the Vita to another level.

I don,t get what you are trying to say, you mean you want to play the game in half the size on the vita? Because each pixel is on the psp is mapped exactly to 4pixels on the vita. That is perfect scaling if you are playing full screen.
I think he is saying he wants to run it natively, without any upscaling?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don,t get what you are trying to say, you mean you want to play the game in half the size on the vita? Because each pixel is on the psp is mapped exactly to 4pixels on the vita. That is perfect scaling if you are playing full screen.
Yeah.

Same way you can with PSX games.
Games look crisp as hell at original res.

I actually hate how PSP games look upscaled.

TheSeks

I don,t get what you are trying to say, you mean you want to play the game in half the size on the vita? Because each pixel is on the psp is mapped exactly to 4pixels on the vita.

Yes. Disgaea and FFT and most other PSP titles look terrible because of that. It's like setting the PSX emulator on "full-widescreen/stretch" option. It drives me bonkers because it looks bad. The PSX emulator at least has "normal (320x240)" and "zoomed" (like it would look on a TV but not removed from 4:3 aspect ratio and a bit blown up options to where "purists" like me aren't driven insane by blurry fonts and pixel-y graphics with no option to lower the resolution/ratio down to where it looks like it was meant to look.

Skyzard

Banned
You're right it can look a lot nicer when shrunk...just a little bit of black bars, don't have to go as small as psp res but the option would be nice. Hopefully it's coming...tbh I'm surprised we even got it for PSX so at least it may be a possibility. Previously, they added the extra control settings from one to the other as well after an update.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yes. Disgaea and FFT and most other PSP titles look terrible because of that. It's like setting the PSX emulator on "full-widescreen/stretch" option. It drives me bonkers because it looks bad. The PSX emulator at least has "normal (320x240)" and "zoomed" (like it would look on a TV but not removed from 4:3 aspect ratio and a bit blown up options to where "purists" like me aren't driven insane by blurry fonts and pixel-y graphics with no option to lower the resolution/ratio down to where it looks like it was meant to look.

You don't get it. The scaling is already perfect (in the sense that it is a perfect ratio on each dimension), there is no other 'better' scaling option. Mapping 1 pixel to 4 means that playing on the vita, each pixel looks exactly the same on the psp, except perhaps larger since the vita screen is larger. Any other scaling option would be worse, except possibly to play on 1/4 of the vita screen, which would be so small as to be unplayable.

Nice browser score. Can't wait to get a Vita on Black Friday. For reference, Wii U's browser score is 258 +4, Chrome and Safari on ipad mini are 386+9.

Skyzard

Banned
Liking the browser, no issues so far except for the lack of youtube auto linking..

You don't get it. The scaling is already perfect (in the sense that it is a perfect ratio on each dimension), there is no other 'better' scaling option. Mapping 1 pixel to 4 means that playing on the vita, each pixel looks exactly the same on the psp, except perhaps larger since the vita screen is larger. Any other scaling option would be worst, except possibly to play on 1/4 of the vita screen, which would be so small as to be unplayable.

Ah I was hoping for a nice compromise...yeah 1/4 would be too small. Thanks for the info.

Just need those folders still..

So, the update is really great and all, but I just tried copying a video (a few hundred MB) from my PC to the Vita over my wireless network, and the transfer speed is abysmal. It seems like it might take 10 minutes to transfer a few MB. I'm wondering if it's my router, my PC, or the Vita. Can someone try to reproduce this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So, the update is really great and all, but I just tried copying a video (a few hundred MB) from my PC to the Vita over my wireless network, and the transfer speed is abysmal. It seems like it might take 10 minutes to transfer a few MB. I'm wondering if it's my router, my PC, or the Vita. Can someone try to reproduce this?

Doesn't the Vita do some weird encryption process or something? Transferring was always crap

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait, so I can use content manager on the Vita to connect to my PS3 and transfer data?
huh?
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were just asking if the PS3 can upload saves to the cloud.

You don't get it. The scaling is already perfect (in the sense that it is a perfect ratio on each dimension), there is no other 'better' scaling option. Mapping 1 pixel to 4 means that playing on the vita, each pixel looks exactly the same on the psp, except perhaps larger since the vita screen is larger. Any other scaling option would be worst, except possibly to play on 1/4 of the vita screen, which would be so small as to be unplayable.

It would not be unplayable with 1:1 pixel mapping.
PSX games are just fine and they are smaller res than PSP games.

It's not 1/4th the size the screen. It'd measure about half physical screen size.
It's just a quarter of the pixels being used.

TheSeks

Right, because "normal" in the PSX emulator is oh so unplayable. OH WAIT. *rolls eyes*

All they need to do is give the option to have it look the same as it would on the PSP. I don't give a damn about it "mapping to 4 pixels." I give a damn about how the games look on the system and they look horrible because of that "mapping to 4 pixels" is blowing the fuck out of the original resolution.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Aren't the pixels larger on the PSP than the vita? So it would be smaller then it would on a psp screen...unless I've misunderstood. Yes I just checked, psp has 4x less pixels and only an inch or so smaller. About the same aspect ratio too...so bobbytkc was spot on.. 1/4 of the vita screen would be tiny! Not sure if there is actually a good compromise in between but will just see what we get...wouldn't mind squashing them a bit to shrink them anyway to be honest.

Doesn't sound right... 10 minutes for the few 100mb more like. Check wifi strengths?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Right, because "normal" in the PSX emulator is oh so unplayable. OH WAIT. *rolls eyes*

All they need to do is give the option to have it look the same as it would on the PSP. I don't give a damn about it "mapping to 4 pixels." I give a damn about how the games look on the system and they look horrible because of that "mapping to 4 pixels" is blowing the fuck out of the original resolution.

That's it, you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't care anyways.

After reinstalling everything I got the wifi transfers to work.

Got pretty good speeds for transfers on videos. I was seeing an average of 20 Mbps from my pc to my vita and my network in only G not N.

Moved a 410 MB video in exactly 3 minutes too.

After reinstalling everything I got the wifi transfers to work.

Got pretty good speeds for transfers on videos. I was seeing an average of 20 Mbps from my pc to my vita and my network in only G not N.

Moved a 410 MB video in exactly 3 minutes too.

Yup. Was just about to post about the same results.

Ran rp

You can now send messages with friend requests!

jleRzDCaW12cj.jpg

sakipon

near now asks only once whether you want to automatically download stuff for that game. Previously if you chose 'no' it kept offering each and every time you downloaded an item.

near is now so much better in other ways, too.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
huh?

It's not 1/4th the size the screen. It'd measure about half physical screen size.
It's just a quarter of the pixels being used.

You need to do your math again. Half on each dimension means that the area for a 1:1 pixel mapping is a quarter of the total screen area.

whitehawk

Banned
Few changes I've noticed that I don't think have been mentioned

Video
- Playback menu is much bigger, and centered
- You can now go in super slow mo. (1 frame a second?)

Miscellaneous
- You can now download updates to games without needing to insert the game card first.
- PSM version installed listed under settings
- Under trophies, the buttons for PSVita System/Playstation Network look different. (Smaller?) They also don't make a noise when you press them.

And it's kind of unrelated, but there's an update to the Skype app.

Yup. Was just about to post about the same results.

Thanks for testing, guys. I guess my router is acting up or something. I tried switching from the PC to the Mac but that didn't change anything. Also, the video player is constantly saying "Cannot copy files that are not compatible with the PS Vita system" when I try to copy my files. I have to look at the specific information for that file first, and then it works. Weird :-/

Skyzard

Banned
Few changes I've noticed that I don't think have been mentioned

Video
- Playback menu is much bigger, and centered
- You can now go in super slow mo. (1 frame a second?)
Miscellaneous
- You can now download updates to games without needing to insert the game card first.
- PSM version installed listed under settings

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

;)

edit: yep - using Left analogue stick
edit2: use d-pad instead

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
No, it's 1/2 the screen size. And 1/4 the pixels.

Am I missing something here? It is half on each dimension, unless you are talking about squishing the image, I don't really know what you are talking about. What exactly do you mean by screen size? Area? Because 1/4 if the pixels means 1/4 of the area. Each pixel occupies the same area.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Am I missing something here? It is half on each dimension, unless you are talking about squishing the image, I don't really know what you are talking about. What exactly do you mean by screen size? Area? Because 1/4 if the pixels means 1/4 of the area. Each pixel occupies the same area.
Sorry. It's my wording that's off here. You are correct.

I just mean it would be totally playable and would look great because PSX games are even less than a quarter size and look great.

Skyzard

Banned
@bobbytkc How are the pixels the same size (or occupying the same area) if there's only like 1" difference and 4x the amount of pixels :S unless you didn't mean psp vs vita screen sizes.. I thought I understood before that post..

What? No, keep pressing down on the d-pad when playing a video.

Oh yeah you're right, much better thanks.

Just need to wait for the control menu to fade away (with both actually).

whitehawk

Banned
@bobbytkc How are the pixels the same size (or occupying the same area) if there's only like 1" difference and 4x the amount of pixels :S unless you didn't mean psp vs vita..

Oh yeah you're right, much better thanks.

Just need to wait for the control menu to fade away (with both actually).
Wait nvm, I misunderstood what you meant before. Yeah the analog stick works too.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me, or the Vita as a whole feels better after this update? I'm liking my Vita more after it! :)

You're right. Here's an image example of what he's asking for (quoted to make it close to actual size):

Top Bottom