• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita fw 2.00 now live

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes they improved so much it does feel like a step-up. Folders though....can't be far..I hope!

I don't care about folders.. But I would take anything that lets me get rid of the Welcome and other useless bubbles. Also, AA for the main menu would be welcomed. :)

mollipen

You're right. Here's an image example of what he's asking for (quoted to make it close to actual size):

I don't think that'd really be a solution, though. The problem isn't the resolution that PSP games are being displayed at, because the Vita renders one PSP pixel with four Vita pixels (so you're getting an exact reproduction). The problem is more that showing PSP games on a physically larger screen just makes the roughness that was already there more prominent.

If the Vita's screen was the same physical size as the PSP's screen, they should display the exact same image quality-wise.

yurinka

This has been the most awesome FW update eger.
So Gaf, now what clock do they need to fix in Vita?

-Lossless PNG for screenshots.
-Folders for games / apps.
-HTML5 support activated in the browser (when not using games maybe).
-Flash support in the browser (when not using games maybe).
-Open in the youtube app the youtube links from the browser.
-Images in email app.
-PSP original resolution option without zooming in its emulator.
-PSM trophies and leaderboards if aren't already included in PSM runtime v1.0

Would you add something to the list?

Holy shit, you can remap sholder buttons to the right stick (controller must be set to digital for it to work)! Vagrant Story just became even more awesome.

Sintoid

Near is almost Near 2.0 :eek:

It's faster, has a new layout and finally explains precisely his functionality to the new users.

Well done!

Returners

So Gaf, now what clock do they need to fix in Vita?

-Lossless PNG for screenshots.
-Folders for games / apps.
-HTML5 support activated in the browser (when not using games maybe).
-Flash support in the browser (when not using games maybe).
-Open in the youtube app the youtube links from the browser.
-Images in email app.
-PSP original resolution option without zooming in its emulator.
-PSM trophies and leaderboards if aren't already included in PSM runtime v1.0

Would you add something?

Truth be told, I rather be surprised then by hyped for something that might set me up for disappointment.

Folders would be nice though.

I don't think that'd really be a solution, though. The problem isn't the resolution that PSP games are being displayed at, because the Vita renders one PSP pixel with four Vita pixels (so you're getting an exact reproduction). The problem is more that showing PSP games on a physically larger screen just makes the roughness that was already there more prominent.

If the Vita's screen was the same physical size as the PSP's screen, they should display the exact same image quality-wise.

Well, the Vita screen isn't even that much bigger. It's 5 inches diagonally, compared to 4.3 inches for the PSP. If they were to replicate the PSP screen size that would introduce a bunch of scaling artifacts. Showing that, or displaying it as a 2.5 inch quarter image are both worse than what it does now.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TheSeks said:
because of that "mapping to 4 pixels" is blowing the fuck out of the original resolution.
Increase the distance you hold the Vita until the screen is the same size as PSP on your usual play distance.

Brad Grenz said:
You're right. Here's an image example of what he's asking for (quoted to make it close to actual size):
To be fair - I don't really think Vita screen is bigger enough to go from "good" to "terrible" compared to standard PSP.
I suspect for some it might just be the difference of LCD on PSP having pretty obvious screen-door which alters pixel look compared to higher-res OLED (the squares are more filled out - and thus, more obvious).

Nosgoroth

Updated! PS+ itself isn't up yet, right?

Browser update:
Old:
8201012979_46aaae9171.jpg

New:
8202106724_32352b622c.jpg

It is now 100/100 on acid3 test. Was 99/100 before

Whoa.

i might pick a vita up this black friday.....is there any advantage of the 3G model over the wifi version? If you have a 4G phone, can't you just tether and it will be much better than a 3G connection? or does the 3G version have some kind of magic thing that makes it better?

Darien

Screenshot is now a background process, so whenever you take screenshot, you can still play your games at the same time.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Now, as there's a new content manager, I'm guessing the ability to copy individual games from Vita to PC and back is new? I just copied Black Ops in preparation for PS+ as it uses nearly 3GB.

Anyway, I like the update so far, the browser was much snappier browsing GAF and we finally get an e-mail app too, yey!

androvsky

i might pick a vita up this black friday.....is there any advantage of the 3G model over the wifi version? If you have a 4G phone, can't you just tether and it will be much better than a 3G connection? or does the 3G version have some kind of magic thing that makes it better?

I tether, but if you want to use GPS functions you'll want the 3G model. Not that there's a whole lot you can do with GPS, since if you have a 4G phone you're probably better off using that for navigation. Near works really well without GPS, so it's a matter of how worried you are someone's going to make a cool game you want to play that absolutely has to have GPS (chances are super-slim, honestly, due to most Vitas not having it).

JimFear

Banned
so i just did a test. I did a video with my vita and transfered it on my computer. On my vita i can see the video i did but not the other .avi

Is this normal?

I tether, but if you want to use GPS functions you'll want the 3G model. Not that there's a whole lot you can do with GPS, since if you have a 4G phone you're probably better off using that for navigation. Near works really well without GPS, so it's a matter of how worried you are someone's going to make a cool game you want to play that absolutely has to have GPS (chances are super-slim, honestly, due to most Vitas not having it).

thanks! very helpful

I don't even think the white one has 3g.

Hanmik

How big is the update.? just wondering, because my internet has sucked the last 3 weeks, but the update downloaded and installed in less than 5 min..

RpgN

I was most excited about using the email app but don't know how to use it. Trying to add a hotmail account but then it says you can't send or receive messages with that account. I'm not sure if I'm writing all the right information and or what's expected of me. Why do you have to have a username and password for sent and received messages? Can they both be the same username and account? And what is this about host name with sent and received messages?

The improved near and browser look good so far, though the vita crashed on me again when using near.

doomquake

Weather and Traffic for the Maps app is really great. Would be nice if the temperature was displayed in the Live Area so you don't have to load up your map though.
ibkWcOw9djCVJ4.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dat email client interface. Soo good.

Wish there was a way to import my google address book.

DBT85

Weather and Traffic for the Maps app is really great. Would be nice if the temperature was displayed in the Live Area so you don't have to load up your map though.
ibkWcOw9djCVJ4.jpg

Ooo that looks nice. Cool to see they added traffic too.

All in all it leoks like a great update, possibly one of the best in Playstation FW update history?

All my saves are now in the cloud.

It would be nice if someone with some time could transfer a large (like 2GB) Game and Video file over both WiFi N and over a wired connection to compare speeds. I'd do it but I'm on 12 hours days until Friday.

So does this mean i can back up individual games to my pc rather than the whole memory card?

This would be helpful while I'm still stuck with a 4Gb card.

Ravage

This update is incredible, love the new email and map app. The web browser and Near are much improved and the Wi-Fi PC transfer works perfectly. Most impressive firmware update ever? It still needs a folder option though.

Hanmik

Can you sync PSP saved data to PS+ online storage? I can't seem to be able to.

8 minutes download, 2 install, total 10.

thanks.. I have a 20/1 connection.. and my internet has sucked lately. Tried a 30mb update for the Viaplay app in Denmark yesterday.. took freaking 14 minutes for 30mb. And the 12mb silverlight update on my PC took 8 minutes...lol

DBT85

Trophy Sync is so much nicer now.

They should do online sign in the same way, tiny icon in the corner while I get on with my bloody game.

Trophy Sync is so much nicer now.

They should do online sign in the same way, tiny icon in the corner while I get on with my bloody game.

Surely they need sign in to be a blocking operation. At least to be retroactively compatible with older games.

DBT85

Surely they need sign in to be a blocking operation. At least to be retroactively compatible with older games.

Possibly, but I don't need that please wait in my face when I boot up LBP for example. Sure it want's to connect but it shouldn't need to stop me getting on with my game.

Just used Near for the first time since the update, much nicer, it tells you all the locations that it shared when it did the upload and is much more streamlined overall.

Hopefully it'll get a bit more use from folks.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah the E-mail app is quite nice. I can't get my Gmail account to go through for some reason, but I'm sure I'll figure that out. It works really well with my yahoo account though.

Top Bottom