• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
vita2-4f3ae39-intro.jpg

No way anyone fitting a Vita in their pocket unless they wear size 40+ pants, plus the analog sticks sticking out

patsu

Just curious, how possible is it to stick this huge thing in your pocket to use it as an mp3 player? I've been using my Go that way since I got it and obviously it's fucking tiny and awesome. The size of this thing is like the one drawback for me.

No way anyone fitting a Vita in their pocket unless they wear size 40+ pants, plus the analog sticks sticking out

You can fit a Vita in a pair of baggy pants or a jacket. I tried it on multiple occasions (e.g, to hide it from my son). No issue with the dual sticks too. I am average height and build.

However, I plan to look for a small carrying case/bag that can fit an iPad and/or Vita. These days, I'll either carry an iPad or Vita out. My friend bought one for $20 from Asia for his iPad 2. Looks casual and good.

I looked at the MacBook Air carrying cases too. I think some of those will be suitable also if you have a MB Air.

Nightz

I am currently playing Uncharted and enjoying every bit of it. I have never played Uncharted and am considering buying a PS3 just to play the rest of the Uncharted series.

Damn you Sony!

The PS3 games are amazing (especially 2). You won't regret it if you do get a PS3.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Im loving uncharted but having a hard time getting used to the tilt controls while aiming...

Yeah, I had pretty much the same experience. I just ignored the tilt aiming, and used the other thumbstick to aim. For the most part, just using the snap-to-aim works mostly well enough on it's own. Deadly quick with the Dragonov sniper rifle, instant one shot kills.

I am currently playing Uncharted and enjoying every bit of it. I have never played Uncharted and am considering buying a PS3 just to play the rest of the Uncharted series.

Damn you Sony!

Uncharted is a great series. You can find the double pack for 30 and Uncharted 3 for 30 nowadays. Great deal.

Liamario

Banned
I turned the vita upside down to see how it would feel with the analogues up higher.
I can't fathom why Sony didn't place the sticks up top...

Zoibie

Absolutely, so am i. Great game though. Can see myself playing a lot of the asynchronous multiplayer. I like that a lot.

Yeah. You take a turn, then it generates a message to the other player. They receive the message, it links to the game. They take their shot, send you a message. Works really well.

I didn't know that, that is really cool. Will have to try the demo and see if I want to get it because that's a really good use of async mp.

On another note, I'm playing through Golden Abyss atm and I'm really liking it; the shooting is really fun once you get the hang of the gyro aiming. But there are a couple of... eccentricities that don't seem to fit well with the game. The Doppler Effect the devs used on enemies that are falling off ledges is really jarring. It sounds like they go through 5 years of puberty in the span of 3 seconds.

How is the build quality? It looks like extremely cheap, fragile plastic in the pictures, but if it's decent I might get one of those.

The build quality is fine. It has already protected my Vita from a drop. The flex in the case actually helps absorb any impacts. It is a highly functional case and exactly what I was looking for. If another company comes out with the same design but in poly carbonate, I will buy that one. But for now this case is the perfect one for my day to day use.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I turned the vita upside down to see how it would feel with the analogues up higher.
I can't fathom why Sony didn't place the sticks up top...

I actually wish the sticks were placed lower on the Vita. Another few cm lower would have been great, there just simply isnt enough space in between the D-Pad and the left stick.

Can anybody tell me how Tactics Ogre looks?

I wouldn't buy it just yet if you don't already have it. It might get a 30% discount if it wins PSP game of the year (and since that category only has 3 games, one of which is sort of a demo, it has pretty good chances of winning).

Edit: LOL 2 minutes late.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Wow I'm kinda surprised nobody seem to have noticed that ******** has released Vita sales. So far it's 0.3mil in USA & 0.38mil in EU so it's decent enough for a launch console I guess, really hope that its sells steadily and that it doesn't drop like it did in Japan.
That site is banned for a reason.

El-Suave

How much ? And which one did you pick ? I'm evaluating my options too.

The official Sony power adaptor is €11 on Amazon in Germany (US is $15) which struck me as pretty cheap considering what they charge for some accessories. It's also cheaper than the official PSP ones.

Skilletor

Man, I dunno, it's just so sharp that I can almost overlook the framerate. At least there isn't lots of tearing like the PS3 version.

The XBOX version is pretty sparse in comparison as well (just popped it in recently).

It's a very strange situation, but I think the allure of new hardware really plays a role here as I'm really enjoying it more than I probably should be.

Maybe. I dunno. I guess it's the action game whore in me that is like, "NO 30FPS IS UNACCPETABLE!"

But then I play it and I'm like, "This is awesome. It shouldn't be awesome because 30fps in an action game is unacceptable, but it is awesome."

I'm torn :(

No screen tearing is nice, though. That stuff gives me a headache.

The Chef

Sooo what can you do in a party? All it seems like is you can chat. I thought you could share games with each other like for multiplayer purposes? Was I told lies...

Grinchy

Banned
You can fit a Vita in a pair of baggy pants or a jacket. I tried it on multiple occasions (e.g, to hide it from my son). No issue with the dual sticks too. I am average height and build.

However, I plan to look for a small carrying case/bag that can fit an iPad and/or Vita. These days, I'll either carry an iPad or Vita out. My friend bought one for $20 from Asia for his iPad 2. Looks casual and good.

I looked at the MacBook Air carrying cases too. I think some of those will be suitable also if you have a MB Air.

Thanks for the response. I'm 6'2 195 pounds, so maybe the natural size of my clothes will give me enough wiggle room to fit it in a pocket. I just don't know if I can justify buying this if it's not "portable" enough. It's not like I'd carry my Go and Vita just so I could use the smaller device as an mp3 player. That'd be nucking futs.

Durante

The uninformed display talk in this thread and my own curiosity got the best of me, so I present this:

imgp0017wyx12.png

I wish I could have added an original DS lite to the comparison, but I don't know how to make that show a black screen.

The Galaxy S2 actually looks better than the Vita in absolute blackness, but it's a competition at a level entirely unreachable by LCD. It's like comparing SSD access times when the competition is a spinning HDD.

matmanx1

If you haven't played it for a while (it's been years for me) then I'd argue that Sigma+ is definitely worth it. Game looks absolutely killer on the Vita (despite 30 fps).

For anyone that has never played it, however, there is no reason not to buy it now. One of the best games ever made for XBOX.

I actually think that as amazing as the game looks and plays (and I certainly consider it to be amazing) that the new Hero mode actually increases the fun factor for those of us who don't have tne fastest and smoothest reflexes. Not dieing a thousand times = me much less likely to rage quit. I'd recommend Sigma + to anyone who's never beaten the game just because of that one new addition.

Thanks for the response. I'm 6'2 195 pounds, so maybe the natural size of my clothes will give me enough wiggle room to fit it in a pocket. I just don't know if I can justify buying this if it's not "portable" enough. It's not like I'd carry my Go and Vita just so I could use the smaller device as an mp3 player. That'd be nucking futs.

i have no problems holding it in my jeans pockets. Size 36 jeans though :D
normally i just toss it in my bag or the breastpocket of my coat.

So can someone give me a breakdown of the party system? I see that it lets us talk and txt message but how do we play a game together? Do we do that from the game or from the party system?

Yeah I figured I heard wrong :/
What do the game sharing options mean when installing a game or in Near?

I think you CAN share a DD game with one other account. I remember in the olden days of PS3 you could share with up to 5 different accounts.

I guess now it's 2. It's still something.

i-Lo

The uninformed display talk in this thread and my own curiosity got the best of me, so I present this:

imgp0017wyx12.png

I wish I could have added an original DS lite to the comparison, but I don't know how to make that show a black screen.

The Galaxy S2 actually looks better than the Vita in absolute blackness, but it's a competition at a level entirely unreachable by LCD. It's like comparing SSD access times when the competition is a spinning HDD.

I remember this being a huge thing when I was researching to buy plasma two years ago. Next tele for me will be OLED.

Barrett2

One thing I don't like is the gross, bulky AC adaptor. 3DS and every cell phone sold nowadays figured this out, and have a small surge protector at the base, with a thin cord flowing from it. I hate having a brick with cords running out of both ends.

patsu

Not for MP3 playback. The default player is too simple to begin with.

The NAX music player seems more interesting, but I don't know if it's coming to US.

I bought a Vita and carry it around mostly for the combined entertainment experiences; sometimes gaming, sometimes surfing, sometimes looking at family photos, playing music collection etc.

I have an iPhone 4S. Prefer to save the battery there for calls, camera, YouTube and more surfing. Have been charging it all too often. I *hope* my cell can last for more than 1-2 days without recharging. ^_^

It would be nice if I can sync my media from iPhone over to Vita wirelessly.

Chopper

So I really like my Vita and have been considering doing this to it.

160112_o.gif

Good/bad idea?

What the fuck?

Played with a Vita for a bit today for the first time. I was shocked at how light it was. Lovely. But I was surprised at how low the sticks felt. Still, definitely want one.

Liamario

Banned
I actually wish the sticks were placed lower on the Vita. Another few cm lower would have been great, there just simply isnt enough space in between the D-Pad and the left stick.

How about a compromise of being able to swap around the locations manually. Perhaps it's a space issue, but if it was plausible- they should have done.

demolitio

Someone please add me on PSN so I don't feel as bad with no Vita players on my list...lol

PSN is "Demolitio"

This handheld has me much more excited than the 3DS did. Just the technology alone blows me away and thinking about games a year or two from now makes me drool at how good they'll look and how great they'll control with less of the gimmicks by then.

spats

Someone please add me on PSN so I don't feel as bad with no Vita players on my list...lol

PSN is "Demolitio"

This handheld has me much more excited than the 3DS did. Just the technology alone blows me away and thinking about games a year or two from now makes me drool at how good they'll look and how great they'll control with less of the gimmicks by then.

I'd add so many more people but my friends list is currently at 98 people and I just weeded out a bunch of inactive users. Raising the cap even to 150 would be great.

Will add you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom