• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

For first games, there's a lot I would recommend. Probably the best way to go I would say is Hot Shots Golf, while snagging Super Stardust Delta off PSN for 10 bucks.

But my first games were Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots, and Stardust Delta. And they're all awesome in their own way.

But I could have also gone with Lumines.

Or I could have gone with Uncharted.

Any way you go, there aren't a lot of bad games with this launch. Surprisingly.

The problem I have with WipEout 2048 as a Vita owner's first or only game (for awhile) is its difficulty. You don't want to end up not playing your only Vita game because of a skill-level barrier. Of course, if you're great at WipEout then it's great.

Eusis

Watch a video tutorial on how to apply it, otherwise you'll fuck it up.
Beyond that though? No, not really. It's great partially because you can align it without needing it to be applied immediately, thus greatly reducing the chances of fucking it up and getting over, say, the buttons or something and needing to be ripped off. Or for dust to get under, though I'd recommend a steamy bathroom, microfiber cloth, and can of air for best results.

My Hori screen protector and Vita travel case should be here tomorrow. Hope I get the protector on right. :p

I got the slightly bigger travel case too that fits the plug, looks nice.

I think they goes on very easily and the template that the protector is on make it very easy to line up.

Here a video. though it's not in english I think it shows you how they go on very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-fTzN4RR0

Shinobido 2 could've smartly used the front touch screen for pinpointing where you want to grapple. Tap a ledge and zip to it. That's the type of touch controls I'd like to see, and dynasty warriors is the complete opposite of what I want touch controls to be.

Just played the Dynasty warriors demo and left stunned at the image quality. Uncharted looks positively ugly up against this. Native resolution + 4xmsaa looks nothing short of incredible on this screen, its just so flawless.

If your Vita title isn't native resolution with 4xmsaa then is time to go back to the drawing board. Any graphics lead that puts crap like low quality SSAO full of flickering artefacts over the flawless image quality this system can produce is simply doing a bad job.

I'm playing and really enjoying Uncharted (especially the gyro aiming) but its completely ridiculous that the highest budget game on the system its also one of the ugliest.

Try the Virtua Tennis 4 demo. Image quality is seriously flawless. Unfortunately it's only on the Japanese PSN for now, probably later on others.

Bastion

I see that Locoroco 2 is $7.99 and Silent Hill Origins is $9.99 on PSN. Has anyone tried these games on Vita? How do they play and look?

Russell

Picture quality is the most important thing to me. Black level is the most important aspect of picture quality.

If OLED technology works without a backlight, how could the Vita NOT shut off the pixels when showing 0 IRE (pure black)? Shouldn't there be absolutely no light coming from the screen when displaying pure black? I thought it was in the nature of OLED to shut the pixels off.

I just want something that can display deeper black levels than my Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M. :/

demigod

This has got to be the worse 3rd party accessory launch ever. Too many cases are sold out at amazon or they dont have it at b&m.

Eusis

I THINK that could be because they take in some amount of electricity, period, kind of like how even appliances that are turned off draw in a bit of power. If my guess is right, it's probably nigh-impossible to dynamically turn them on/off as necessary for watching/playing stuff.

Have been customizing my Vita and like the results so far!
I just wish we could move entire panels instead of just the icons.

customizing_my_PS_Vita.jpg
Simply fantastic, hope you don't mind but i copied you almost exactly except i don't have a minis. Coulld you create a screen with PSone?

Russell

I THINK that could be because they take in some amount of electricity, period, kind of like how even appliances that are turned off draw in a bit of power. If my guess is right, it's probably nigh-impossible to dynamically turn them on/off as necessary for watching/playing stuff.
Ahh.. I was wondering the same thing... If, somehow, the pixels need to always be in a constantly "charged" state.

Ran rp

One question for those with the HORI screen protector? Does the screen become "smoother" after a while? I'm saying this because swiping is a little bit harder than when it was without the protector. I have protectors on other systems like my iTouch, and those don't feel "sticky" at all.

It's as smooth as my iPod Touch's screen. I've had the same rough feeling when installing new glass panels on my iPod and applying the Hori protector. It's the oil of your fingers that makes screen feel so smooth. The Vita's rear touchpad is also rough out of the box until you use it a bit.

This is exactly why I went naked. Plus, the Vita screen seems ultra sensitive too. I plan to get the Hori shell and call it a day.

I was considering going naked too but the Hori protector is amazing. You won't notice it at all once it's broken in.

Picture quality is the most important thing to me. Black level is the most important aspect of picture quality.

If OLED technology works without a backlight, how could the Vita NOT shut off the pixels when showing 0 IRE (pure black)? Shouldn't there be absolutely no light coming from the screen when displaying pure black? I thought it was in the nature of OLED to shut the pixels off.

I just want something that can display deeper black levels than my Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M. :/

Yeah the screen is a little disappointing for me. My Zune HD was literally invisible when displaying a black screen in the dark and text on a black screen would appear to float in the air. With the Vita I just get ugly blotches. SD content also looks worse to me than it should.

Anybody know what error (NW-2468-0) means? I can connect to wifi, even surf the web but cant access the store.

I was getting the same error when I first got my Vita. The solution that I implemented was to give my Vita a static IP. Settings -> Network -> Wi-Fi Settings -> Access Point -> Advanced Settings; then just put in your static settings.

Whats the future battery options if any?
this 3 hours is not going to cut it. What options do you guys see happening if any?

3 hours? Really?

I must have the best Vita battery made... I just got home from work, pulled my Vita off the charger, ran Near and Friends, then played nearly 2 hours of Ghost of Sparta and an hour of Hot Shots Golf, and my battery reads three quarters full... which is admittedly remarkable! PSP games must use far less power than native Vita games...

At any rate, even playing Uncharted, I'm quite certain that I haven't had less than 4 hours of battery life on a full charge, and usually a bit more...

edit ~ Anecdotal evidence of Vita domination confirmed! Ottawa area Kijiji has these two ads on it tonight:
  1. PS Vita wanted- Will trade an ipad 2!
  2. FT: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 4g Android tablet for PS Vita
The Vita Master Race rises!

Yoona

Banned
3 hours? Really?

I must have the best Vita battery made... I just got home from work, pulled my Vita off the charger, ran Near and Friends, then played nearly 2 hours of Ghost of Sparta and an hour of Hot Shots Golf, and my battery reads three quarters full... which is admittedly remarkable! PSP games must use far less power than native Vita games...

At any rate, even playing Uncharted, I'm quite certain that I haven't had less than 4 hours of battery life on a full charge, and usually a bit more...

yea I've been playing Virtua Tennis for over two hours and my battery has only gone down a notch. Sogood.

Mastperf

The Vita black levels are better than your Kuro.

Carl

3 hours? Really?

Yeah i just played like 4 hours of Motorstorm RC without battery dying. That's with brightness at default and connected to wifi.

Diggler

I can't seem to get the ninpo's to work in Ninja Gaiden, anyone else? It says circle + triangle should do it, but nothing happens.

I've 2 spells unlocked so far.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
patsu said:
Do the later levels look better/great?
Later levels get bigger, better and have less SFX/postprocessing bugs.

brain_stew said:
I'm playing and really enjoying Uncharted (especially the gyro aiming) but its completely ridiculous that the highest budget game on the system its also one of the ugliest.
It's not entirely fair as the final parts of the game look quite a bit better. Especially early stages in GA are marred by a lot of bugs/glitches in postprocessing (AO being broken or artifacting to hell, heavy glitches in DOF, particle halos etc.).
Not saying it fixes the low-resolution, but it's hard to argue the game doesn't look better then stuff like DW in later areas.

Completely on-board with Gyro aiming though - I hope it becomes standard option for shooters, this platform has great potential there.

Good lord Rayman is so amazing to look at! I meant to only start the game and play it for 15 min but 2 hours later I'm still hooked.

Also made me realize how much Sony perfectly nailed the comfort of the Vita in your hands. After 10 min I would almost always get a cramp in my hand from the psp.

matmanx1

Later levels get bigger, better and have less SFX/postprocessing bugs.

It's not entirely fair as the final parts of the game look quite a bit better. Especially early stages in GA are marred by a lot of bugs/glitches in postprocessing (AO being broken or artifacting to hell, heavy glitches in DOF, particle halos etc.).
Not saying it fixes the low-resolution, but it's hard to argue the game doesn't look better then stuff like DW in later areas.

Completely on-board with Gyro aiming though - I hope it becomes standard option for shooters, this platform has great potential there.

That's good to hear (about the graphics improving) because after how clean Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Dynasty Warriors turned out in the IQ department Uncharted can be a little bit tough on the eyes at times. Then again I'm a much bigger fan of "clean" looking games in general over games that have tons of shaders and shadowing and fancy visual effects. Sometimes that stuff is distracting and it's doubly bad when your AA and AF are less than perfect or even nonexistent.

The Vita is almost a console replacement.

Its like how people used to only have laptops for portability but eventually "desktop replacement" laptops appeared and people no longer needed the desktops.

The Near features make PSN something very different as well. I have been friended by a bunch of people who live in my city now. The experience is almost weird actually in that the sense of community on PSN really was lacking.

I'd bet the Vita OS is the direction they intend on taking PS4 as far as community features.

Mastperf

Good lord Rayman is so amazing to look at! I meant to only start the game and play it for 15 min but 2 hours later I'm still hooked.

Also made me realize how much Sony perfectly nailed the comfort of the Vita in your hands. After 10 min I would almost always get a cramp in my hand from the psp.

I have the same problem with the 3ds. The nub lacks grip so I have to struggle to keep my finger on it when I play. Other than a few glitches and lockups, I'd say this is one of the best hardware launches ever. I can't see any reason to wait for a revision because they got it right day 1.

Soi-Fong

I'm at whatever the default brightness is and no/no/no

Ah I was wondering why I wasn't getting the kind of battery life you had. I know for a fact I always had 3G on which I know can use a lot of battery.

Edit: Quick look on Near from my university in Chicago. Used 3G instead of wi-fi.

bf69c9c5e1b7a93a49166020ac600f603e3ffbf6.jpg

23fd12944611398cc67181bfbfa4087a025e4c4d.jpg

Dat IQ! lol

I have the same problem with the 3ds. The nub lacks grip so I have to struggle to keep my finger on it when I play. Other than a few glitches and lockups, I'd say this is one of the best hardware launches ever. I can't see any reason to wait for a revision because they got it right day 1.
Yeah the analog nub on the psp was a big culprit in how completely uncomfortable it was to hold.

Comet

Is anyone as addicted as I am in trying to get Elite Pass on these Wipeout events? Some of them are brutal, especially when you finish .2 of a second from breaking the requirement :p

emb

A couple of questions. First, any recommendations on a good case? Looking for a hard case that's fairly resilient.

And for the other, I heard people in the wallpaper thread mention that you can have up to ten pages of bubbles. Considering that every game I play leaves a bubble, what happens when you run out of space?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Before I forget to mention, I sort of accidentally got myself into a battery test last night but couldn't finish it. I started tracking time around 6:10 EST and was playing with headphones with half brightness (my preferred setting since the screen is really well lit even at that level), and regular network/wifi functions.

I browsed GAF, played mainly HSG and other PSN Vita games. By 10:10 the bar was still on half but if people noticed, the bar doesn't go down until the battery level hits that next tier (if that makes sense). I suspect that if I kept up at that current pace, I would have had about 5-6 hours but I can't say yet. I do know it lasted a lot longer than I thought.

For the record and so I don't sound like I'm BS'ing. I did try a short but fairly accurate test on network, sound via speakers, and gaming about a week ago. I found that with heavy network usage, 80% brightness, and gaming I was able to get around 3:45-4 hours. Take that how you may.

Jetku

Returning my Vita!

50%+ of the time when I wake the system up from sleep mode, it freezes. The blue light glows but I am stuck with a black screen and I have to hold the power button for ~30 seconds and then restart the vita.

While this always fixes it, it's incredibly annoying!!

Amazon will have a new one here Thursday!

Carl

Is anyone as addicted as I am in trying to get Elite Pass on these Wipeout events? Some of them are brutal, especially when you finish .2 of a second from breaking the requirement :p

I'm like that with Motorstorm at the minute. Passed an event earlier but missed the gold time by something like 0.03 seconds. Then spent about 2 hours trying to cut that 0.03 seconds off.

Soi-Fong

Before I forget to mention, I sort of accidentally got myself into a battery test last night but couldn't finish it. I started tracking time around 6:10 EST and was playing with headphones with half brightness (my preferred setting since the screen is really well lit even at that level), and regular network/wifi functions.

I browsed GAF, played mainly HSG and other PSN Vita games. By 10:10 the bar was still on half but if people noticed, the bar doesn't go down until the battery level hits that next tier (if that makes sense). I suspect that if I kept up at that current pace, I would have had about 5-6 hours but I can't say yet. I do know it lasted a lot longer than I thought.

For the record and so I don't sound like I'm BS'ing. I did try a short but fairly accurate test on network, sound via speakers, and gaming about a week ago. I found that with heavy network usage, 80% brightness, and gaming I was able to get around 3:45-4 hours. Take that how you may.

Soo many people seem to be getting HSG that I'm starting to feel like I should get it. Still have to get Uncharted as well and Blazblue!! Sooo many freaking games. Actually wish Sony didn't release soo many good games.

Epic Drop

After failing miserably with the screen protector that came in the accessory bundle (bubbles and dust), my Hori screen protector finally came today. I treated my bathroom like a freaking clean room, and managed to get the protector on without a single bubble or spec of dust. Yay!

Raine

Yes. I get frustrated with this game and have to quit for a while when I can't get the freaking Elite Pass on certain events.

CLEEK

If anyone who owns a Vita can be bothered, I would really love to see what Tactics Ogre looks like on the system.

It's not that amazing, unfortunately. The only PSP game I've played that I think looks worse when running on the Vita.

The game was filtered on PSP anyway, with the sprites not at native resolution. Having the further stretching on the PSV screen makes everything a bit more blurry. If you turn off the bilinear filtering, it helps, but I think it looks better on the PSP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Soo many people seem to be getting HSG that I'm starting to feel like I should get it. Still have to get Uncharted as well and Blazblue!! Sooo many freaking games. Actually wish Sony didn't release soo many good games.

HSG is one of the funner games. Much like a Mario Kart type game, it's the same show but it still fits. Still fun and my most played game at launch.

Also, Tales from Space Mutant Blobs Attack is the surprise of the launch. It's REALLY GOOD and has so many things that use the Vita and they just work.

I will say it again, Mercury or Marble Madness would be perfect on this system.

It's not that amazing, unfortunately. The only PSP game I've played that I think looks worse when running on the Vita.

The game was filtered on PSP anyway, with the sprites not at native resolution. Having the further stretching on the PSV screen makes everything a bit more blurry. If you turn off the bilinear filtering, it helps, but I think it looks better on the PSP.

Really? I had a Gamestop clerk show this to me filtered and unfiltered and I thought the filtered looked really good. The colors and all that make up for that up scaling you mentioned. Definitely still worth it and it doesn't seem to have the slowdown during certain spells like FFT.

Cassius

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom