• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

Has anyone bought the official Sony cradle? Right now my Vita just hangs out on a microfiber cloth on my desk and I think I like the device enough to drop another $20 on the cradle. Impressions would be quite welcome.

Also, to those discussing PS2 emulation I hope Sony has that in mind. That would be a ridiculous bonus feature. Portable FF12 (and a billion other amazing PS2 titles)? Yes please.

Has anyone bought the official Sony cradle? Right now my Vita just hangs out on a microfiber cloth on my desk and I think I like the device enough to drop another $20 on the cradle. Impressions would be quite welcome.

Also, to those discussing PS2 emulation I hope Sony has that in mind. That would be a ridiculous bonus feature. Portable FF12 (and a billion other amazing PS2 titles)? Yes please.

It's a piece of plastic, but it makes the Vita look great on my desk!

The metal finish looks really nice.

Salaadin

anybody have any buyer's remorse?

i feel i could have totally done without MvC.

Im happy with the Vita and happy with everything I got so far.

Hot Shots Golf is just what I wanted. Despite it being excruciatingly difficult, I still enjoy it.
Rayman is amazing fun and looks gorgeous on that OLED.
Blazblue is also gorgeous and has so much single player content that its actually a bit overwhelming. In a good way.

The only 2 games I havent sunk much time into are Wipeout and Uncharted. The 2 races I did in Wipeout were a lot of fun so I know Im good there. Uncharted is untouched right because I bought too many launch games and stuck it on the bottom.

kuroshiki

The price of the protector is not really the main point. You're essentially putting on a layer of film on top of your screen that can negatively affect IQ for the rest of the life of said screen (assuming you keep a protector on forever) just for the chance to protect against some scratches. Also every scratch will cost you $7-$10 and a protector scratches A LOT easier than the screen.

$20 bucks is 8% of the total cost of the unit. Which you have to pay NOW in order to protect it from a potential threat. As far as insurance goes it's pretty damn expensive. Don't even get me started on extra warranties. Biggest rip off ever. Pay $60 to protect your $250 device for the next 3 years. Oh yeah in 3 years it's gonna be worth less than that but it doesn't matter, pay it anyways.

Think about this way. Let's say something happened and screen shattered. Or, analog stick doesn't work. or, shoulder button break or something. Anything can happen.

If you have warranty (last time squaretrade was offering accidental 3 year for $46), you will get either brand new replacement or money back (your actual purchase price, which in this case $250).

Most likely you will say 'sell old one and get the new one', but the 'broken' one has significantly reduced market value in this case. You would be lucky to sell one for $70, depends on how serious it is. Shall we do some math?

initial purchase price: $250 + $50 (warranty) = total price = $300. That's it. Also it is good for 3 years so something minor happens within that time you can always get your unit replaced.

initial purchase price: $250 + 150 (new purchase) - $100 (broken unit sold) = $300. This goes further if your new unit price is more than $150.

I'm not saying you should get warranty. You can just always sell one and get the another one every year.

If someone is intending to dedicated to the platform for quite awhile, however, I understand the purchase of accidental warranty, too.

It's a cradle. Unexciting but I find them essential. Otherwise I forget to charge mine.

Nightz

Only remorse I had was buying HSG on cartridge instead of digital. I've already made the switch.

Also I wish I had more time in the day to play games. I've totally neglected all other games since I got the Vita on Friday.

Eusis

Actually another angle for why getting a case is hardly a bad idea: depending on the style and how the systems are upgrades those can easily stay useful right up to a system's end. The case I got for my DS worked great for DS lite, DSi, and could do the trick for the 3DS if I didn't feel like it's a good time for a new one, and the same went for my PSP case that's been good for both the 2000 and 3000. Even if you replace a system that can be an investment that lasts for all of them.
Only remorse I had was buying HSG on cartridge instead of digital. I've already made the switch.
I'd probably regret that more if I actually had bought any other cart games or if GameFly would actually send some Vita games rather than dodging them. Though, it's easily possible it'll be awhile before it's a serious issue at all.

Chris R

Is there really NO way for me to use my own PSN account and then update the Vita? Looking like I'll have to create a temporary account and then update the Vita and then switch to my own account :|

KillGore

Is there really NO way for me to use my own PSN account and then update the Vita? Looking like I'll have to create a temporary account and then update the Vita and then switch to my own account :|

That's how it is. Make a temp account first.

Not yet, I'm enjoying the games I got, the OS, the hardware, everything. We'll see in the following months. If E3 is not good for Vita, then I probably will.

UFRA

I wish I would have passed on Escape Plan.

I don't really care for it.

OMG they didn't fix this for the primary western launch? Yikes.

I can just see some people thinking it's broken and trying to return it and even bailing on the system entirely after it happens again with the new one.

Takuya

Banned

It's not really creating an account. Just use that and then link your account. The process really isn't as bad as you think.

spats

I wish I would have passed on Escape Plan.

I don't really care for it.

I have to agree with you. Stylistically I love it and the structure is perfectly suited for quick bursts but truth is I've always hated the hell out of puzzle games. :D

Good thing it wasn't very expensive.

I need a cradle for when I'm laying in bed watching netflix, but I REAAAAALLY should be saving up for my anniversary... Not to mention car insurance payment in a couple of weeks -__-.

EDIT: I'll just eat ramen for the next week. Cost difference to cover the costs of a cradle.

Toki767

So far I've bought Uncharted, Lumines, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, and Dynasty Warriors Next. I don't regret any of them.

RoylAsult

im hoping i dont regret army corps. it looks cool to me but i have learned looks can be deceiving. Does anyone know off hand how long of a game it is?

also im not a huge fan of Marvel Vs capcom but i did end up getting it for free so i really cant complain. once im good at it maybe i will enjoy it more.

Eusis

I regret FFXIII-2 more if anything, given the LE DID drop to $60 within a month. But I got the BestBuy Episode i short story, so I guess that sounds for something. Even then that's more a "more money to the Vita!" thing, which might be for the best given waiting a bit is weeding out the worthwhile from the not-as-worthwhile (play NG on consoles first, rent Katamari...)

Number45

...why do they use it in their video?

Go to the PSN store and then look at their "Cross Play" video.

Deceiving bastards. >=/
It was used to demo the functionality at E3, and obviously the (completely logical) assumptions were incorrect.

Quick question about sleep mode and battery consumption. So the other day when I was about to go to bed I closed all of the apps that my Vita had open and pushed the power button to put the system to sleep. The battery was fully charged. The next morning when I went to turn it on it was completely dead, and I mean COMPLETELY dead, as in it wouldn't even turn on when it was plugged in. Eventually I got a flashing no battery symbol to pop up and a few minutes later it turned on.

I have to be doing something wrong here, right? Sleep mode doesn't drain the battery that badly does it?
Odd, I left mine in sleep mode (let it go itself, didn't press the power button) without closing everything (don't think I left any games running though) for 24+ hours and the charge indicator barely moved. :/

I would have regretted picking up Dungeon Hunter if I didn't make £14 after trading it in. Other than that loving it - if anything I'm regretting picking up physical games (though I think I'll continue to do so on some games).

DBT85

I feel I could have totally done without MvC.

Nope, but I went with Uncharted, Wipeout, Escape Plan, Motorstorm RC, Rayman, Lumines and SuperStardust Delta.

However I don't know if I have a hardware fault or a software glitch.

While playing uncharted for 4 hours today the first column of pixels on the left of the Vita went bright white. I've tried standby and full power down and they come back as soon as it comes back on. They actually come on before the rest of the display appears.

i've taken some screenshots but it doesn't appear.

I'm going to do a backup in the morning and then do a full system reset and see what happens. Hope it's just software and that I can fix it. Saying that Amazon UK have been very good with someone who had a dead pixel and just sent him a replacement so that he didn't lose any down time.

guess im the only one...i love the vita though. uncharted and rayman are ace. MvC...is meh. I do appreciate that it has so many modes

I a not a fan of fighting games but the MvC games have always been fun for me. I quite enjoy UMvC3 and its many modes. Online is baren when I have time to play it though, usually 12:00-1:00am mst.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've only been sporadically browsing GAF the past week, because every bit of free time I get has been playing on my Vita. lol.

I pretty much have only turned on my PS3 for watching Netflix with my wife. I still love my PS3, but I've been sinking crazy hours into FF Dissidia 012, Uncharted, and wipEout.

As a non-hardcore wipEout fan, I have to say I'm loving this one. It's hard as hell, but I always feel like I can overcome it. I've been getting Elite passes on a lot of levels I never expected to.

I don't get the "hate" Uncharted's visuals are getting, because I think it looks phenomenal on that screen. Then again, jaggies don't bother me like they do other posters. The game mechanics and game itself are exemplary. I like to judge my games on how they play, I suppose.

Tales from Space is awesome, as is Rayman: Origins, and I'm currently fighting the urge to splurge on PSP titles come payday tomorrow.

I have the 8gig card that came with my launch bundle, but I still have 4.5 gigs of space free, and most of the PSP titles I'm looking at won't fill that up. I have plenty to play though! I really shouldn't buy more, but Half Minute Hero is calling to me, as is Monster Hunter and The 3rd Birthday.

Dissidia has amazed me with how the camera controls completely changes the comfort and playability of the game. I really think that dual analog stick is a "game changer" in terms of what types of handheld games we can expect going forward.

I think, for me, at least, I've had to rearrange my thinking on what handheld gaming can be. I think we're still expecting watered down ports and shoddy money grabs on the Vita (those will most certainly happen: I'm looking at you, Activision). The system is the real deal.

Will it replace my PS3? No, but it's certainly a lot of fun to curl up under the blankets and play Uncharted, while watching Netflix on the big screen and PS3 (multi-tasking while I'm multi-tasking!).

After 7 days with my Vita, I can say that I love this thing.

Anyone use the official Sony case?
04-PS-Vita-case.jpg

I like the idea of it transforming into a stand.

patsu

No remorse yet.

When I'm done with the current batch of games, I will get all the good PSP games I missed over the years.

Then get Gravity Rush and any other good 2nd wave Vita games.

But I hope Sony step up their software effort and keep improving Vita OS tangibly.

Mzo

I use it, it's ok.

I don't like how the sides are just open, but it does have a nice feel to it. It reminds me of my Kindle jacket.

You can hook it on and just let the case hang when you're playing somewhere and know you're going to put it away again in the near future.

It's alright.

LaneDS

I was really hesitant to buy the thing. Bought a launch PSP so many years ago and after enjoying Ridge Racer and Lumines a lot I didn't have anything to really play on it and ended up selling it. I don't see that happening here, because there is already quite a bit more than two titles I'm interested in playing. Between Lumines, Stardust, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Tactics Ogre I have way more to play than I have free time, all of it is fantastic (barely touched Uncharted so far), and there is a large PSP catalog, demos, and upcoming stuff like Gravity Daze to complement that. The system OS is sleek, online connectivity is there, and all in all I'm very happy with the purchase. Surprised me a bit even.

I totally could have done without Mutant Blobs. I bought into the GAF hype and was disappointed. It's nothing I haven't played a thousand times on iOS for much cheaper. I'm still early in, so I might come back to it, but it hasn't clicked with me so far. Plus now I have $6 dollars on the store that are useless, with $15 I could do something.

I didn't have a choice on Modnation Racers, so I can't regret the purchase, but I definitely do not recommend. Loading times kill it. I'd trade all the "modding" for decent loading times and solid framerate.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Where is that guy who claimed there would be a MLB bundle? Pitchfork times a'comin, bud

On MLB The Show's Facebook page, they have said in the comments section of the GameStop Trade-in Announcement that a bundle is coming and details will be given soon.

GQman2121

Banned
Still no shipping notification from lockerz for my 32 gb card. Supposedly it will ship later "mid week" hopefully I will see a shipping notification tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.
I said this last week in here, but fuck that site. There's no way of managing your account or purchases and they're claiming funds on Pay Pal for items that they don't even have in stock. I emailed and had to wait three days before I got a - clearly automated - reply about how the cards are backordered. If I wouldn't have inquired, I guarantee you that they wouldn't had said anything to me or let me know what was going on with my order.

It took an additional three days for them to forward me my cancellation confirmation.

I know a few people here placed orders and received their items without an issue. I however have been completely turned off by their service and will never visit or use their site again. The savings are not worth the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom