• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

It's an obviously fake shitty joke account with two tweets. Lame trolling by a bitter fanboy.

Thank fuck for that, I need ZoE. I was just working out if I could carry my PS2, a flatscreen TV and a car battery around with me.

That fake tweet reminds me, is there even confirmation that there is a Vita ZoE? Thought it was just Vita MGS.
Egads! Will this emotional roller-coaster ever end!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They will add folder support. This will probably be one of the first things Sony adds.

The sooner Sony adds folder support, the better. Most of the flaws I'm finding, like what I mentioned earlier, and the steps needed to transfer a game from a PS3 to a Vita, can be fixed with a firmware update. That's a good sign, isn't it?

Grinchy

Banned
<shakes fist>

I just completely embarrassed myself by making that into a thread :-(

Need to engage brain in future.

pxpy2.jpg

lol! It's ok that would have been some huge news quite worthy of its own thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eh, overpriced memory cards for consoles are nothing new.

In fact, Apple's whole pricing model is based on capacity. A 16gb iPad is exactly the same as a 32gb iPad in all ways aside from the increase in capacity. This jump will cost you $100.

WHile cards on Vita are a tad overpriced, I don't see why people don't complain about this more and demean the Vita for it. Double standards and moving goal posts, I swear. Sometimes anything will be said to slander Vita.

ss_lemonade

Ha, that twitter post almost gave me a heart attack.

Anyway, if a game doesn't require a memory card to boot up, does that mean that it can save to the game cart? My vita's got no memory card atm, so I'm stuck choosing games that don't require it

patsu

Ha, that twitter post almost gave me a heart attack.

Anyway, if a game doesn't require a memory card to boot up, does that mean that it can save to the game cart? My vita's got no memory card atm, so I'm stuck choosing games that don't require it

Yes, games that need memcard can't start up without one.

WHile cards on Vita are a tad overpriced, I don't see why people don't complain about this more and demean the Vita for it. Double standards and moving goal posts, I swear. Sometimes anything will be said to slander Vita.

I think people see the 'value' elsewhere, rather than basing it on the components, etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, none of the earlier devices attempted it as comprehensively as PSP, but that doesn't mean PSP hit all the necessary targets. There were missing media sync software. The big games didn't come until much later. It never did any of its tasks well. The Homebrew people pushed PSP further than Sony did, in terms of realizing its potential.
That's an argument largely fueled by hindsight. At launch, when detractors were complaining about the PSP's non-gaming capabilities, it was less about how well it performed those tasks than it was about trying to do them at all, apparently endangering the focus on gaming. Cut to this review at the Vita's launch and it barely acknowledges the significance of those non-gaming functions because this is apparently such a gaming focused device...

patsu

it's retro maybe, but they're rather unique in this generation.

It's more than overpriced memory. It also allows Vita to upgrade to more memory without upgrading to a different SKU.

Since your PSN account is associated with the system id and memory card (id) when you format the card, in theory, Sony could tell who's using the PSN account with which system and card (if it wants to). Such 2-, 3-factor authentication can help to minimize fraud if someone else use your account and password on another system and card.

On a home console like PS3, our IP range is usually more predictable, and can help identify login source generally.

But yeah, hope the card price falls evetually.

centracore

I'm glad that Twitter account was quickly found to be fake, MGS HD and ZOE HD are two (of many) reasons I decided to buy a Vita, can't wait for them! Here are a couple images Kojima has been tweeting of MGS HD over the last month or so:

jJ9rG.jpg
z9IGc.jpg
rhA05.jpg

Also, does anyone know why he is talking about re-recording dialogue for them? Would the stuff from the PS3/360 versions not work?

Takao

Banned
Some people really want to see Vita burn. Why would make shit like that up? KojiPro kept MGS4 PS3 exclusive even though that has a budget likely a million times greater than these HD releases.

GQman2121

Banned
I can't wait to see what they think they can charge for the digital versions of these games (MGS/ZoE) on PSN.

If Snake Eater 3D is $40 at retail right now. And that's only 33% of the HD Collection, which is selling for about $30 right now on the PS360. We're probably looking at our next $50 Vita game(s), right? :p

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Some people really want to see Vita burn. Why would make shit like that up? KojiPro kept MGS4 PS3 exclusive even though that has a budget likely a million times greater than these HD releases.

I guess you weren't here for the PSP launch. Several Nintendo fans got all uppity and whatnot.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/28/dj-max-technika-touches-vita-this-year-with-tons-of-dlc/
First announced last September, DJ Max Technika is on its way to PlayStation Vita. Famitsu has a few more details about the arcade to handheld conversion, like it’s coming to Japan sometime in 2012.

DJ Max Technika will use Vita’s touch screen and players will tap on notes as a bar sweeps right and left. A song list has not been announced, but Famitsu confirmed songs from past games in the series will be released as downloadable content.

DJ Max Technika will also be released as part of a limited edition bundle in Japan.

Glad to hear SOME kind of news about this game. I need this game in my life.

patsu

That's an argument largely fueled by hindsight. At launch, when detractors were complaining about the PSP's non-gaming capabilities, it was less about how well it performed those tasks than it was about trying to do them at all, apparently endangering the focus on gaming. Cut to this review at the Vita's launch and it barely acknowledges the significance of those non-gaming functions because this is apparently such a gaming focused device...

You didn't have to wait long to realize PSP's gaps though. That's why I had to write my own PSP sync software. That's also why I bought very very few PSP games. I used it for assorted purposes.

Vita has similar issues in non-game areas today. Sony need to address these issues seriously. However in the gaming area, I think they put much more effort in it. I already bought more Vita games than PSP. Perhaps this is why that author thinks Sony's focus is on gaming.

Personally, I think Sony needs to do well in both games and apps, but in the game area, it needs to aim for #1 (in whatever gaming aspect Sony deem important).

Bullza2o

Sucks that I have to wait until 6/12 to get my most anticipated Vita game :\

I really want that MGS remake. I've never played any MGS but the original one.

PewPewK

Awesome, makes importing it now even more worth the money.

I'd obviously prefer it come sooner, but since I have decided to import it another few months should make double dipping an easier expense.

Yeah, I'm glad I imported Gravity Daze last week. Couldn't wait any longer.

I'm glad that Twitter account was quickly found to be fake, MGS HD and ZOE HD are two (of many) reasons I decided to buy a Vita, can't wait for them! Here are a couple images Kojima has been tweeting of MGS HD over the last month or so:

jJ9rG.jpg
z9IGc.jpg
rhA05.jpg

Also, does anyone know why he is talking about re-recording dialogue for them? Would the stuff from the PS3/360 versions not work?

What I gathered from his photos is that he is a Shaun the Sheep fan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
When you played the game, did you play it with English system settings? Does it have English trophies?

Maybe I'll ask Dcharlie or something.

there were no English settings :/

I should play it more - need to finish up some other games first

PewPewK

What do you think of it, likes/dislikes?

To me this is the one Vita title I was anticipating the most.

It's incredible, definitely the best game on the Vita hands-down. I'm not very far yet, but I'm vastly enjoying every second of the game and find myself constantly being distracted to just explore/get those purple gem things.

I'm frustrated that I can only understand 1/100th of the game (I'm a early second semester Japanese student), but now that the launch date is June I have no qualms with importing now for $75.

did you get it yet?

I downloaded from the JP PSN, so I got it instantly. :)

It's a little annoying bouncing between my US and JP accounts, but since you can change accounts without formatting the memory card it's not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom