• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
...why are the US and EU store interfaces different?
No special offers section for US, different icons, why the hell can't they keep anything static from region to region? To much chaos in Sony, they do big talk about unification, but it really doesn't show all the time.

What Grace Chen wants, Grace Chen gets.

Sound Shapes was a few weeks back, even though that game is TBA, lol.

Something that I've been wondering about.

We know that Sound Shapes has been completed but has no release date. So how are the devs earning any money in the mean time, or is it the case that Sony has already paid them an advance?

Raonak

Banned
gah. I don't know what to buy...

mutant space blob. or escape plan.
escape plan looks more interesting. But mutant space blobs is getting better reviews :/

What Grace Chen wants, Grace Chen gets.

Yeah, no that's not ok. The more I use the US PSN store, the more annoyed I get. Can't find anything. No special deals list, no top PSP games list, no PS+ list, and I would like to be able to view PS3 stuff as well. My PS3 is broke, but at least let me view what deal they have so I can have my friend activate whatever PS+ free game they might have.

And this weeks update was pretty pathetic as well.

I need more content for my Vita. EU is delivering, US is not.

I can't wait for the day when I can play COD or BF MP on my lunch break at work. Life may never be the same again..............................

I am enjoying HSG a lot. Lumines is amazing. Next up will have to be VT 4 or Wipeout.

I also want that Vita grip accessory with the triggers. My co worker has it, and its damn nice.

Raonak

Banned
...why are the US and EU store interfaces different?
No special offers section for US, different icons, why the hell can't they keep anything static from region to region? To much chaos in Sony, they do big talk about unification, but it really doesn't show all the time.

Europe is handled by SCEE and america by SCEA. it's 2 different branches handing the stuff.
to scee's credit, all europe stores have the same layout.

And then theres SCEJ that handles all of asia iirc

Carl

gah. I don't know what to buy...

mutant space blob. or escape plan.
escape plan looks more interesting. But mutant space blobs is getting better reviews :/

Flip a coin. Can't go wrong with either of those.

Personally i prefer Mutant Blobs

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I want a Souls game (Demon's, Dark) on Vita.

I would hide under a blanket in the bedroom and never leave again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If Thrustmaster don't ship my fucking VIP case tomorrow, I will shit fire. My method of portability this past weekend was wrapping the entire unit in layers of bubble wrap and then putting it back in the original box, and then that in my bag. FUCCKKKK~

Also I have launch fever bad. Succumbed to nabbing Lumines on PSN just now. Eyeing up Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Virtua Tennis, and more. Still have yet to play Uncharted because LoveFilm still seem stuck on ever sending it out to me and I'll be damned if I'm paying £35 for a game in The Land of Swift Bomba Pricing that is the UK.

patsu

Probably a bit late..
Is "Near" a 3G model only feature? I won't pick up a Wi-Fi one if that's the case.

Short answer is: no.

Longer answer is: It works better with 3G because of the built-in GPS chip.

I took a quick look at some of SkyHooks' patents. Here's a quick summary:

The 3G Vita uses both GPS technology and SkyHook service to pinpoint your location. GPS works very well in open area, and is accurate to within 5-10 meters. It will work even if you don't subscribe to a 3G data plan.

However in a packed city or deep indoor (blocking GPS view), 3G Vita, or rather SkyHook, will switch to use its patented WiFi positioning technology to estimate your position. It does so by detecting the signal strength and number of WiFi access points in your area. You don't need to connect to these WiFi access points. Skyhook send sensor cars out in many countries to import these data points into its huge worldwide WiFi access point database. By using statistics on these collected data points, it can extrapolate/estimate your current position. In their marketing papers, Skyhook claimed that WiFi positioning can give them accuracy in the range of 10 to 20 meters.

When both GPS and WiFi positioning failed, SkyHook will switch to cell tower triangulation, but the accuracy is 200 - 1000 meters (Also 3G Vita only)

If everything failed, I suppose the app will use your last known position.

So WiFi Vita will work but with slightly less accuracy. Sometimes it may misbehave because a WiFi access point has moved. The good news is you can update Skyhook's WiFi access point database via the web: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/location-technology/coverage.php

From Gaffer's feedback, it takes up to 2 weeks for your submission to propagate to the production system.

ari

Banned
why can't i buy shit from the playstation store? Fucking store is plague with errors for me.

Can i buy the psn cards to purchase games from the store?

Ok, so I have the Content Manager installed onto my PC, but for some reason, my VITA won't connect to the PC. It keeps saying that I need to install the Content Manager, but I already have. :/

patsu

why can't i buy shit from the playstation store? Fucking store is plague with errors for me.

Can i buy the psn cards to purchase games from the store?

Yes.

But you might want to call Sony customer support to see if your credit card info is alright.

ksimm

If Thrustmaster don't ship my fucking VIP case tomorrow, I will shit fire. My method of portability this past weekend was wrapping the entire unit in layers of bubble wrap and then putting it back in the original box, and then that in my bag. FUCCKKKK~

Yes I wholeheartedly agree. After 8 days of unpacking and re-packing the Vita just to play, it is becoming somewhat annoying. :p

I want my VIP case now damn it!

Ok, so I have the Content Manager installed onto my PC, but for some reason, my VITA won't connect to the PC. It keeps saying that I need to install the Content Manager, but I already have. :/

Funny thing is, I have the same problem. Start up Content Manager on my PC and plug in my Vita. Wait a minute and nothing happens, saying it's not connected. I uninstall the driver and reinstall, and I either get an error on my Vita or it connects and then Content Manager says there's multiple systems plugged in and disconnects it.

Carl

Should dispatch Friday. Hope so, so i can quickly cancel Amazon Prime so i don't have to pay £50.

Have you launched it? Can you see its icon in the system tray?

Yep, it's right at the lower right of my screen. My VITA's been plugged in for a good 20 minutes and it the Content Manager won't read it.

EDIT: This is all I get. It's open, but it won't register with my VITA.
FD3ZB.png

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
scently, if that best buy order still doesn't work try offgamers.com or maximuscards.com. Both have been good for me in the past.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Would anyone be willing to test and see if KZ Liberation for PSP works online with Vita? I searched but there were no games. Not that this is a game people would flock to after some years removed from release.

Carl

Yep, it's right at the lower right of my screen. My VITA's been plugged in for a good 20 minutes and it the Content Manager won't read it.

EDIT: This is all I get. It's open, but it won't register with my VITA.

You don't need to use that at all. Just plug your Vita in and open the Content Manager app on it.

So i tried a display model of the vita the other day at Target. First impressions-
1. Huge screen. Much bigger than the ones on my 3ds and psp.
2. amazing graphics
3. D-pad is one piece, more like the x360 than the 4 buttons on a ps3 controller. WTF!!!
4. Atrocious and unacceptable loading times on wipeout game. Aren't vita games on flash cards? How is it possible to be this long?

Im thinking of getting the vita next month or April, but i'm second guessing myself becase of that d-pad. Why did they change it from the original psp and ps3?? Or is it different because its a display model?
Probably because the Sony dpad is and always has been a terrible design?

The fantastic dpad is one of the best parts of the system and its nothing like the 360 dpad.

SRTtoZ

Funny thing is, I have the same problem. Start up Content Manager on my PC and plug in my Vita. Wait a minute and nothing happens, saying it's not connected. I uninstall the driver and reinstall, and I either get an error on my Vita or it connects and then Content Manager says there's multiple systems plugged in and disconnects it.

Not sure if it matters but I dont even start up Content Manager on my PC. I installed it, then from there I plug in my Vita and it connects to my PC automatically and lets me transfer using the PS Vita.

You don't need to use that at all. Just plug your Vita in and open the Content Manager app on it.

That's it. The App is open and it keeps saying that it needs to be installed on the PC, which it already is. I've watched videos and noticed that the App jumps up and down on the homescreen when its ready to be used, but it hasn't done that for me.

It works on Wi-Fi too. Uses a service called Skyhook to pinpoint your location.

I don't think that's necessary. Near didn't work for me the first few days, then it got the address of a street that's fairly close and now it has a correct location. So I guess it improves over time.

Man I want SSX on this thing.

Absolutely. Native res and 60fps. Im having a blast with the 360 version, plus the async multiplayer is perfect for Vita.
I wonder what the turn around time is for a port of this magnitude, any idea?
Devs should be encouraged by the first week sales numbers, right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For those that know more about developing games than I do:

Is it possible that they could release a patch that gets rid of the sub-res quality of Hot Shots Golf? I find it incredibly distracting.

Massa

Are the free minis from PS+ working yet?

For those that know more about developing games than I do:

Is it possible that they could release a patch that gets rid of the sub-res quality of Hot Shots Golf? I find it incredibly distracting.

It's highly unlikely.

Would anyone be willing to test and see if KZ Liberation for PSP works online with Vita? I searched but there were no games. Not that this is a game people would flock to after some years removed from release.

Are you hosting a game right now? Im searching combat zone and campaign co op with no results. It says adhoc, is that local only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom