• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Question: Have you guys grown accustomed to the analogue sticks on this system? I tried a friend of mine's Vita and their tiny size just bugged me horribly. Once he's out of the 'my new toy' phase, I might ask him to let me borrow it to check - but they are just really, really small. I hadn't realized that they were so miniature.

The screen is damned gorgeous though. I'll give it that.

I think they are great personally. It's just because they are smaller than you are used to but you get used to it fast.

On a different note, I just put this in the Unit 13 thread but it's still relevant here.

The EU Blog just confirmed again that Unit 13 is out on Wednesday across Europe but all UK retailers are still saying Friday. I wonder if the digital version will have a 2 day head start on the retail version in the UK.

A first for a console game?

Apocryphon

How come some PSP games aren't showing on the Vita PSN? I want to but Ghost of Sparta but it isn't there. I know I could buy it on the PS3 and transfer it, but my PS3 died a couple of weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet. Am I simply out of luck?

Raine

Question: Have you guys grown accustomed to the analogue sticks on this system? I tried a friend of mine's Vita and their tiny size just bugged me horribly. Once he's out of the 'my new toy' phase, I might ask him to let me borrow it to check - but they are just really, really small. I hadn't realized that they were so miniature.

You get used to them.

ascully

Time for some eshoping.

I bought a prepaid card, and I know for sure, that I'll buy Streef Fighter Alpha 3 and Final Fantasy Tactics. Also, I've been thinking about Mutant Blobs Attack, as it's very cheap and looks quite fun.

So, should I?

Mutant Blobs is amazing, I do not regret buying it at all, gets better as you get further in. I say DO IT.

I have a minor issue, but it's more due to the stick placement bothering me after extended play vs size. It depends on your hand size. At the moment it isn't bothering me much due to the fact I'm mainly playing Lumines and Rayman over FIFA and Wipeout, and the D-pad is fucking killer.

Even if they stop making games after a year, I love this thing for what it does now (also due to PSP compatability).

Carl

I don't think there was ever a point where i struggled with them.

When i first got my hands on a Vita last september, my first thought was "WOW those sticks are tiny". Unfortunately i was playing Little Deviants so didn't really get to test them out (though i had a wiggle when they guy fucked off for a minute).

When i got my console, again i thought "wow they really are tiny" but as soon as i hopped into a game, they just felt completely normal.

see5harp

Regardless of how good the analogs are now, they are a 10 fold increase over the PSP disc. They moved them up as much as they could with the real estate and gave them a little range. The nub was probably my least favorite control interface of all time.

Meier

How come some PSP games aren't showing on the Vita PSN? I want to but Ghost of Sparta but it isn't there. I know I could buy it on the PS3 and transfer it, but my PS3 died a couple of weeks ago and I haven't replaced it yet. Am I simply out of luck?

It seems like that's the case. I bought VC2 with my PS3 then downloaded it via Media Go thinking I could transfer it that way. Learned that no I couldn't. Tried to install it via the CMA and it didn't work either. Had to re-download it on my PS3 and go through it that way. If you can't download it via PSV, I think downloading it through the PS3 is the only option right now.

Mzo

Sticks are fine, went through the same process as everyone else. Wow they are tiny, oh they work ok, alright they are awesome.

Sh0k

Does anyone have the PDP Crystal Case for the Vita? Do you recommend it ?

PDP Crystal Case

Keep looking for cases that can protect the Vita and also hold some games. This looks like will do the job.

whats a good vita game with "endless" modes for competitive plays with friends?

lumines
unit 13
super stardust delta

which of the 3 do you guys think is better? :D

Meier

Sticks are fine, went through the same process as everyone else. Wow they are tiny, oh they work ok, alright they are awesome.

Wow, doubt I'll ever reach the "they are awesome" stage but they're acceptable at least. Katamari controls kinda wonky and it's way too hard to stay going straight with the little sticks but it's definitely a huge step-up over competing handhelds due to the simple fact there are two of them.

FGMPR

Banned
It seems like that's the case. I bought VC2 with my PS3 then downloaded it via Media Go thinking I could transfer it that way. Learned that no I couldn't. Tried to install it via the CMA and it didn't work either. Had to re-download it on my PS3 and go through it that way. If you can't download it via PSV, I think downloading it through the PS3 is the only option right now.

This sucks so bad. I have VC2, GoW, Syphon filter and a few others that probably work fine except that I can't play them on my Vita because of the lack of a PS3.

Its highly frustrating. If the games work, then stick them on PSN!

see5harp

Super Stardust is probably the best score chaser on the list but I haven't played the new one so I can't be for certain. The PS3 version was adequate as a score chaser but took way too long for games to play out. Hopefully they addressed that issue. Lumines has a few exploits with abilites that sorta kill the competitive nature.

KalBalboa

Banned

PDP Crystal Case

Keep looking for cases that can protect the Vita and also hold some games. This looks like will do the job.
I've got it. The case will give you some good peace of mind about your Vita's safety, and it'll carry plenty of games. Make sure you take the extra inserts out of it though or it won't lock.

Regardless of how good the analogs are now, they are a 10 fold increase over the PSP disc. They moved them up as much as they could with the real estate and gave them a little range. The nub was probably my least favorite control interface of all time.

Yeah mines cracked into pieces. Didn't want to open it up to replace the parts. I just played games that didn't require it. Wasn't like I was missing out much since the nub was a piece of shit.

inner-G

Banned
If they release PSOne Classics support that would definitely ease the 'drought' this Spring.

I would love me some FFV on the go.

Apocryphon

This sucks so bad. I have VC2, GoW, Syphon filter and a few others that probably work fine except that I can't play them on my Vita because of the lack of a PS3.

Its highly frustrating. If the games work, then stick them on PSN!

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why PSP games that clearly work on the Vita and are already available on PSN via the PS3 aren't yet available via the Vita. Unless there are know bugs or something that need ironing out before they make them available. Peace Walker isn't there either which is doubly frustrating. Missing PSP titles and a lack of PSone compatibility are the only things stopping my Vita experience from being incredible. So far it's just been really really good.

No gusta on lockerz.com

I sent in a request claim to cancel my 32GB Card because they were in backorder. and they never responded. now it's being shipped out :\

I guess i will have to do a claim with paypal before they plan to ship out 3G/Wifi Vita. ugh.

Mzo

Has anybody got their SSD Delta code from the first edition bundle from AT&T yet?
From what I've read you have to wait until the paid month runs out, then they send you the code during your free month.

I don't think enough time has elapsed, even for FEB dudes.

Meier

I bought the official $25 starter kit and have been pretty pleased with it. It's a "travel kit" where you can't really use the case while playing but that seems to be the norm really. The other zippered side comes with a little case for holding games/memory cards and it also came with a screen protector and screen wipe as I recall. Not bad at all.

Mzo

I was staring at my Vita last night. No game or anything, just looking at the system. Turning it around in my hand.

I don't know. I think the system is beautiful. I don't know if I've ever found technology beautiful before. It's always been attractive, but this system is wow.

That was weird.

i hope a few psp/psn games that need ps3's for transferring get put on the vita store soon. i just want to play defjam and punch sean paul in the face.....

I was staring at my Vita last night. No game or anything, just looking at the system. Turning it around in my hand.

I don't know. I think the system is beautiful. I don't know if I've ever found technology beautiful before. It's always been attractive, but this system is wow.

That was weird.

You're a technosexual.

Bullza2o

That was weird.
I like how the Vita has two happy faces :D

I'm super careful with my belongings but I've been taking my Vita everywhere I go, I feel I should get the 2-year accidental plan offered on PSN.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but it's because I'm more worried about the sticks getting damaged from overuse instead of an accidental drop.

PDP Crystal Case

I've heard it's an OK case, but I personally picked up the Vault Case from Rocketfish, and it's pretty much like keeping your Vita inside a tank!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=c3e2ea632de221f00aee612a99760c8een02

It's got a good solid rubber interior that cradles the Vita perfectly, has a microfiber screen protector for when it's closed, and even has a rubber seal to prevent dirt and water from getting in. If it has one failing, it's that it only holds three game cards and one memory card. It could hold more, but I'm not complaining.

I'll only replace this when I can finally find the Pull & Go Folio here in Canada.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm super careful with my belongings but I've been taking my Vita everywhere I go, I feel I should get the 2-year accidental plan offered on PSN.

I'm thinking the exact same thing. When you're taking it everywhere, not to mention trying to break all these control methods in, you'll end up with one short life expectancy for a brand new device. Better get it insured.

So anyhow, when is the cutoff date for 2 year accidental for launch Vitas?

jony_m

I'm thinking the exact same thing. I'm taking it everywhere, not to mention trying to break all these control methods in, and you've got yourself a short, uninsured life expectancy for a brand new device.

So anyhow, when is the cutoff date for 2 year accidental for launch Vitas?

30 days from purchase i think, I took the plunge right away :/

test_account

XP-39C²
At this point I am just trying to get the game over with, its neat and has some cool ideas but I will never go back and try to get 3 stars. Mutant blobs shits all over escape plan and its $7 cheaper.

lesson learned I guess, I wish I would have purchased Ys instead.
I've beaten Escape Plan two times and it was worth the $15 for me personally. It gave me good entertainment for many hours :) I just wish that some of the 3 star challenges were a bit easier due to the trophy hehe. I actually had a much easier time getting the gold trophy (beating the game with less than 20 deaths) than getting the silver trophy (get 3 stars in every level).

Yep, it works great for me. It was a bit uncommon the first 1-2 hours of use, but after that i have no problem using them. Playing Super Stardust is just as easy to play controller wise as the PS3 version, in my opinion.

Zoibie

Absolutely loving Lumines right now. Those special blocks make the game much friendlier to a rookie than the first game. Managed to get past 100,000 in Voyage, which I could only dream of on PSP.

Also, I wish there was a way to set the Lumines menu music as the Vita's menu music.

Deepo

I just discovered Crush for PSP yesterday. Man, such a cool concept! Can't believe I hadn't even heard of it before.

I find myself sitting in front of my PC or my consoles and just playing with my Vita. I feel Sony has made something really special here. Absolutely in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom