• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Aim Controller -- Designed for PS4 shooters, 1:1 precision, no PSMove required.

TalonJH

I'm assuming they have to design it in a way where it's not gonna look like a real weapon. Hence why it "doesn't look cool"?

They probably don't have to but it's probably for the best. Wouldn't want a SWAT team coming in the door and seeing someone cut off from reality swinging a rifle around.

Pandy

Flashbacks...

Wii_Zapper-2009-03-12.jpg

Pretty much.

Jarrod357

Neo Member
Is someone going to make a thread that puts together impressions of the psvr from the show floor? I would like to hear people's opinions now that the rift and vive are in the wild.

Gaz_RB

So ideally you'd want the headset, this gun thing, and two other Move controllers to experience PS VR at its best?

ghibli99

LMAO... why so bulky? I barely sit that far away from my monitor. It's going to be like cheating with the Zapper in the NES days. :)

Harlequin

Would've preferred something that was just a gun-shaped mount which you can put your regular Move controllers into rather something that has integrated Move controllers. This way it'll be way more expensive if you want to get this thing and regular Move controllers.

kyser73

IIRC from either PSX or Ganescom this has been designed - and presumably the game as well - to help minimise the chance of motion sickness in a controller driven FPS that doesn't use ratcheting or teleportation for movement.

Will be very interested in any floor reports on how well it works.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nice idea but why does it look like that? That's honestly the best design they could come up with?

Hopefully thats just a prototype because it looks both embarrassingly ridiculous and cheap in its current state.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Nice idea but why does it look like that? That's honestly the best design they could come up with?

My hypothesis from previous page

I believe the gun design is as minimalistic as it is in order "fit" most kinds of virtual weapons eventually mapped onto it and, most importatly, to avoid the user hurting himself or damagin the headset when aiming down the sights (hence the rounded design with no protrusions - and no shoulder stock).

It looks pretty cleverly designed to me. The only thing that bothers me is that it apparently lacks rumble. If true, that's a wasted opportunity.

sounds he likes it, as much as translate function works... it is accurate and feels good.

He says it's the most accurate FPS he ever played and that it's very immersive thanks to the guntroller (gonna have to trademark that word I just invented!!1).

He didn't complain about the movement via stick, so I guess that works?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I wonder if it's something you can get used to with time.

I think it's not so much movement in general that causes sickness but turning (via stick).

In this case, the stick is used to move back/forward/stafe. For turning, you actually turn the guntroller (love that word Sidewinder!).

kyser73

Someone should capture a still of him with those big glasses frames as he takes the HMD off for replies to the 'Does it fit over glasses?' question.

Farpoint is probably baby steps, but nailing stick locomotion in VR for FPS games without motion sickness will be a game-changer for early adoption of VR IMO.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Someone should capture a still of him with those big glasses frames as he takes the HMD off for replies to the 'Does it fit over glasses?' question.

Farpoint is probably baby steps, but nailing stick locomotion in VR for FPS games without motion sickness will be a game-changer for early adoption of VR IMO.

True but the way they "nailed" it here poses some serious design limitations IMO

Oh nice, it's got feedback, cool, that would have been a huge missed opportunity, Farpoint looked rather promising in the trailer.

I'll probably grab this. Sharpshooter is clunky to have to use when you're also using the move wand for other games.

That's what I was thinking, this seems much more streamlined with less in the way than the at times clunky sharpshooter which is probably good for VR when you can't look at it, probably lighter too.

I think it's not so much movement in general that causes sickness but turning (via stick).

In this case, the stick is used to move back/forward/stafe. For turning, you actually turn the guntroller (love that word Sidewinder!).

Oh cool.
It looked like he was comfortable with it and I hope I am too that looked like a good start for movement.

That footage and how he was playing looked quite promising, the stuff of him playing is further selling me on the game/movement.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Joohanh

It is of course about functionality with VR, but jesus christ that is some horrible industrial design. It's just unimaginably ugly. Look at that trigger placement.

It looks like it's welded together from plumbing parts lying around by a 12-year-old.

keuja

Man, can you guys imagine how badass we're going to look like with this?
Seriously if I buy this thing, I feel like I will need to hide to play games. This is too embarrassing.

JimiNutz

Banned
My hypothesis from previous page

Yeah I'm sure there's a reason for it. Maybe it's one of those things that you have to use to appreciate the design. Based on looks alone it's really ugly though - but I suppose that doesn't really matter, especially when you have your headset on anyway.

Top Bottom